"I could have used the Mark I armor" IronMan UMVC3 match-up Thread

You shouldn’t really be using L or M repulsor blast out side of combo SH.H control the same amount of space frontier wise. Call assist while blocking repulsor H spread save

lol I now remember why I stopped posting.

While this is the appropriate response when you read something as retarded as “Iron Man beats Vergil”, could you at least tell me what to do in the Dormammu matchup?

And its spelled Vergil btw jesus christ

I don’t recall ever saying that it was a good matchup for Ironman. It’s still a crappy matchup for Ironman, just not as bad for him as it is for a lot of other characters. Don’t strawman me.

I shoulda TL;DR’d my post though to keep the lazy from getting such misguided ideas. Apparently this forum is still incredibly jaded and hostile though, so I am not overly surprised.

Iron Man has two tools against Vergil, c.L and c.M. Its easily his worst matchup. Some of the stuff you mentioned works if the player is unfamiliar with the matchup but against somebody that is there isn’t anything you can really do aside from c.L and c.M. Vergil can punish whiffed Repulsor Spread with dash c.M so if they know that you’re fucked. He can also teleport behind if you use Unibeam so that’s not an option either. X Factor Iron Man CAN be good against Vergil because you can do ADDB j.S into a kill combo but that’s really it. You basically gotta just chicken guard helm breaker and punish with c.L. I win this matchup by looking for VERY specific and rare openings where you can poke with c.L or c.M, and fortunately your damage output is high enough that you can kill that character in one touch even off a max range c.M, s.H Unibeam xx Iron Avenger confirm.

I probably came off a bit dickish but its a completely horrible matchup for him, there’s just not much he can do at all. I think Iron Man actually has advantageous matchups against some of the more powerful end game viable characters but Vergil is not one of them.

I’d really like the Iron Man forums to become active again but saying Iron Man BEATS Vergil isn’t the way to win anybody over. Its not an entirely hopeless matchup because like I said you have good fast normals for counterpoking but if the Vergil knows his shit its incredibly difficult.

Ya I agree that a lot of it comes down to just looking for him to make a mistake and blocking rapid slashes till you are out of meter–but that is all most characters can ever do, but IM has a few more options. And yes, as I mentioned, you are probably only gonna catch a Vergil with an ADDF H when he has his sword belt on if he gets too aggressive or doesn’t know what’s going on. I was just suggesting options, not saying they were some kind of counter to Vergil. So when I say that repulsor blast or Unibeam are good options, I mean that they can be good options if you read the situation right. Vergil is still Vergil and is still the best.

The thing is they really aren’t “good” options they are non-existent options. He can punish both of them extremely easily. I don’t actually do either of those moves when I fight Vergil’s because they either know they can punish them or I don’t want to take the risk anyway. Iron Man is a very matchup dependent character that relies mainly on footsies. In certain matchups its in your best interest to just pretend certain moves don’t exist. With Vergil those moves are Repulsor Blast and Unibeam.

Your main options in that fight are c.L, c.M, ADD j.H (which is your main tool in most fights) and I believe you can Iron Avenger through a DHC into Spiral Swords but not when he does it on point. THC Proton Cannon Iron Man’s #1 awesome gimmick doesn’t stop spiral swords either.

You gotta be careful about spending time at super jump height because he can just Helm Splitter you and instant murder you.

If you play Iron Man anchor you beat Vergil by either having your first two characters kill him or saving X Factor for Iron Man so you can X Factor guard cancel c.L into your X Factor kill loop. If neither of those are available you just have to block and wait to block rapid slash. Iron Man can punish it on block in certain situations I believe.

Sorry to come off as a dick initially, I like that this thread exists and think its a good place about how to play this character optimally since I feel like he’ll find himself on anchor on most teams. But you can’t convince yourself even for a second that Iron Man beats Vergil.

Oh I had no illusions that Ironman does not beat Vergil. I take no offense especially because it is clear that this was just a misunderstanding. Vergil:Ironman is like at least 8:2. My point is that it is like 9:1 or 10:1 for a lot of other characters. And I think an important difference here is that I use Ironman second with Doom missiles behind him and do not feel terribly comfortable with him on anchor. To be completely honest, a lot of the time I kill Vergil is with Dormammu using a Team Hyper and sniping Vergil when someone calls his assist xD. Ironman is pretty great for THCs.

j.H ADD will sometimes trade with Spiral Swords, so in that instance you can’t use it either. Vergil is a truly retarded character and you can’t possibly play him with enough caution.

another good match up for iron man i believe is frank level 1-3. after 4-5 it becomes in franks favor if he gets mid-range though imo. i kinda feel Spencer is also not that bad but its kinda dependent on the assist he has.

I feel confident saying that Stark Industries owns the Weapon Plus Program in this game. I don’t have any trouble with Logan or Laura. If you can plink backdash if feel that you should be able to deal with Wolvy pretty well, you have to start with the spacing game at match start. And dealing with Laura is braindead easy, lots of footies and frustrating the X-23 player. There is nothing like blowing everything up on ground that X-23 tries to do with just c.H pokes(i.e. c.HxxUnibeam L./Repulsor L./Fly-Unfly with H.) And you can convert off of most of these pokes and situations. Once they take to the air with Laura just give 'em some more of that Disco Light, lol.

Seriously I find it really amusing to troll X-23 with c.H, its probably my favorite Tony match up. Once you get 'em irritated you can c.Hxxfly/unfly H. poke into box jump MxxSmart Bomb Light and all kinds of annoying space restricting chip damage.

Strangely enough alot of this same stuff has worked pretty well for me against Morrigan too!

He beats X-23 but Wolverine shits all over him

I really do not think iron man beats wolves. In the air maybe if you get a lucky hit, but on the ground that’s not gonna happen unless your playing a bad wolves. He can pretty much dominate/harrase you with one button and closes far distance in the blink of an eye from full screen just barely giving iron man enough time to take to the skies. if he gets in your face its pretty much a guessing game since you can’t back dash or jump up back cause of st.l/cr.l priority and range. Also to add if you get to comfortable blocking you eat a throw and all of this gets a 1000x worse with a beam assist especially doom beam. my advice would be to try your hardest to annoy him with air smart bombs and be careful at what range you use repulsar blast xx spread if he ends up to close he can dash and punish with a st.l into a combo to death, but besides that run away do not to give him any openings to start his offense cause if you do high chances iron mans suit is gonna be opened up like a fresh can of tuna. If i am wrong then please feel free to tell me what i am doing wrong as this is one of my most hated match ups right next to zero, morrdoom, c.viper and wesker i need all the help i can get.

I’d say Wesker is in Iron Man’s favor if he has the life lead, which is how most matchups with him go. You’re totally right about those other characters though.

use ironmans Cr H to stop wolvy’s that crouch under unibeam

[details=Spoiler]So the one match up that is surprising enough is in IronMans favor is the Morrigan match-up.So in the IronMan match up you are going to have to have some patients with Tony.So lets start with how the match up should be played against a Solo morrigan. So when playing against a solo morrigan you wanna use Ironmans Cr.H to Stop morrigans horizontal soulfist. If she is in astrol vison there are two things you can do. From full to about 3/4 of the Screen you wanna do SuperJump,Air dash straight up and fly.This puts Tony at such a high height that morrigan can’t hit him with her grounded diagonal fireballs of her SuperJump horizontal fireballs the only way she can hit him is by Superjumping Shadow blade H and Fly+Soulfist.Now the other option you can do is at about 1/2 to 1/4 of the screen you can do IronMans repulsor blast H and absorb all 4 of the soulfist and still try to hit morrigan.That however leaves you at a huge risk of possibly getting punished. Also remember to punish Shell kick with Repulsor.

Ok so now lets talk about the real thing that makes morrigan scary…Assist’s. So im gonna do it based of of the 2 most popular assist morrigan is often ran with Strider and Doom. So the Morrigan+Vajra match up isn’t as hard for IronMan as some may think.The Vajra assist can be punished by multiple ways. You can do any form of Repulsor Blast or you can do IronMan up shot aka his Up H and get a fly combo on strider. Also if you have any THC’s with a point character Vajra will fall into the ProtonCannon. Now for the Doom assist you wanna stay out of morrigan diagonal air dash space and hit doom with IronMans Cr H and Cancel into Repulsor if need be.Also against doom you can do SuperJump and Airdash up and let the missiles hit so you can get a extra air dash up.Also remember if you are in the opposite corner and morrigan is throwing soulfist you can SuperJump and have all the missiles hit the corner and miss ironman completely.[/details]

I’ve only been playing Iron Man a little bit, but am I wrong in thinking Iron Man shits on Wesker? It seems like he has so much trouble getting in on him and zoning him. That said I also often have Peekaboo behind him which nullifies one bullet for free.

That match up is truly in ironmans favor no lie since weskers neutral is based off of teleport mix ups and ironman can out zone wesker soo i agree with u on that statement

I think Wesker beats Iron Man if he plays really lame but most don’t do that. Iron Man’s matchups vs characters you see go, in my opinion, something like what I’ll list below. Notably with Iron Man assists help him out very little, whereas the other persons assist matters heavily; as a one on one character I think he’s actually pretty strong he just can not at all deal with the other guy in a start of round or coming in situation when they have an assist to apply consistent pressure. For this reason I’ve actually begun to really like Iron Man as an anchor, and the Iron Man/Doom shell is honestly infinitely better as the Doom/Iron Man shell because of the ridiculousness of Doom with unibeam assist and the fact that Iron Man is frankly somewhat scary in x factor with kills of repulsar and an incoming 5050 that leads to more mixup.

Viper: 5-5: IM gets outzoned pretty hard but she has a tough time getting him out of the air, just gotta play super gay and air dash down off smart bombs, if she tries to approach you you automatically win though.

Dante(anchor matchup): 6-4: Pretty free and one of the few matchups I like using cr.H missile in, every option he has to react to missile with is easily reactable(unibeam for projectiles, repulsar for teleport) and you can jump unibeam his airplays on reaction, yet again if he goes in he will die and he has a tough time getting assists out with unibeams blowing up all his options to cover teleport.

Haggar: VERY assist dependent, 6-4 vs most Haggar teams, 4-6 vs. Jam: Haggar get’s kept out pretty easily but he’s still able to advance forward. This is normally not an issue as it is very easy to super jump vs Haggar, however Jam completely blows this up and gives him corner pressure that IM probably won’t make it out of, Jam in general fucks up IM pretty bad.

Morrigan: 4-6: Most Morrigans will get blown up by IM because the matchup is weird, he can stay in the air forever and if he gets hit by a fireball he can stay there even longer. Repulsar also blows up Morrigan’s favorite corner escape of airdashing at you with shell kick. Unfortunately he can’t force anything and if the other guy is smart enough he’s simply out gunned.

Spencer: 3-7: Free as fuck, need 3 meters to not get blown up for doing anything on the ground, and even if you do repulsar isn’t fast or horizontal enough to beat out zip plus assist, best option is to control space from a neutral super jump and hope he gets impatient but really you shouldn’t ever win this.

Strider(anchor matchup): 6-4: He can’t teleport on you for shit and missile plus unibeam beats his projectiles. I tend to net a lot of kills in this matchup by confirming level 3 off a neutral game unibeam hit because Strider players get antsy when they can’t mash teleports.

Vergil: 3-7: I would make it 2-8 if it wasn’t Marvel. He cuts unibeam, outranges your normals that outrange everyone else, and generally counters every facet of what Iron Man has to do to eek by in matchups. You can land a cr.m if you get lucky and make sure you kill off it, once swords comes out(which you can’t stop) it’s actually unwinnable.

Wesker: 4-6: All he has to do is super jump gun, you can’t touch him at all and even if you do have an assist it’ll get sniped, the only reason it’s not worse is because it takes him a long time to kill you this way so you have a lot of chances to random him out with repulsar or air throw. If he tries to approach you on the ground your cr.m is actually better than his and you can catch him.

Zero: 3-7: Same as Wesker except he kills you off his runaway and does scarier mixups, don’t get impatient with repulsars in this matchup because he can bait them very easily with his varied air movement, best bet is to scare them and hope for an air grab.

Dormammu: 6-4: Pretty easy actually, he can’t risk doing pillars while you are in the air because of how ridiculously fast you cross the screen and kill him for it, teleports also get wrecked. It feels like his air dash was tailor made to beat Dormammu actually this matchup feels so nice~~~~~.

Dr. Doom:(anchor matchup 6-4, if doom has assist 4-6): You out gun him and he can’t approach you where you can approach him, sadly if he has just a little more durability and a better way to bait Repulsar, such as a beam or really any projectile, suddenly the tides are turned and you can’t really zone him out anymore, this match is a lot of fun and very good practice for learning repulsar vs. air throw and placing good crouch mediums.

Hawkeye(anchor matchup): 4-6: Really hard to approach him, but if you can get him to blow his meter it’s winnable, also notably his level 3 will normally whiff on response to your own, so if you can catch him on the ground it’s pretty safe to go for even if he has meter, stay at super jump height and try to bait gimlet, if he’s not biting then go ham.

Magneto: 4-6: Disruptor is far too fast for Iron Man to handle and Magneto moves around to well to get hit by repulsar legitimately, try to knock him out of the air with j.h and super jump on reaction to his approach and come down with j.s to attempt to beat crossunders and the like. If he zones hard enough you will lose so you have to scare him somehow.

Nova: 4-6: Slide beats the shit out of Iron Man you honestly have no answer for it at all other than to jump, I like to corner myself in this matchup so he can’t mix me up as much as I land and then simply mash ADD normals from the air which ends up becoming a bit of a stalemate. Don’t get scooped.

Phoenix: 3-7: You’re fucked.

Sentinel(anchor matchup): 6-4: The only thing you really have to watch out for is him reading unibeam with HSF and j.m, outside of that repulsar zones him very hard and jump unibeams take up too much space for him to handle. j.h and j.s wreck him pretty bad just stay patient.

Taskmaster: 3-7: you get outzoned and super jumping and mashing ADD(IM’s best answer to everything) doesn’t work vs shield skills. Secret Move beats hail mary level 3’s for only a bar and if he has an assist it only gets worse. Absolutely one of Iron Man’s worst matchups.

Wolverine: 4-6: He’s too fast and repulsar is too slow, take the same strategy as vs. Nova and make sure to ground throw if he tries to slash you in the corner, that should never work.

Iron Man is better than I used to believe but most people are playing him the entirely wrong way and not understanding his tools to win. Iron Man is not a character that needs to be “unlocked” he in fact has a very simple gameplan and is simply unwieldy to use. Abuse range(j.h, cr.m), abuse anti air(repulsar), and abuse damage(convert everything into level 3 or x factor and kill). His main mixup is low throw(very good throw range and damage off throw in the corner) and his incoming is pretty decent so abuse it, repulsar no spread throw is unbeatable vs people who have never seen it before. If you aren’t using unibeam as your assist you should really play another character because it is very unique as a beam and the reason to pick Iron Man. Learn your ranges, and don’t be an idiot.

1 Like

dante matchup seems interesting. good stuff Danke