How to Survival Hard edition (A Fan built guide)

How to beat survival: Play on PC.

LOL so many dam topics about beating survival…
I just finished beating hard with Ken. It’s a fucking grind. I don’t look forward to finishing the other 14

Any tips on beating Hell with anyone? Who should I pick?

So you all think people will eventually get that survival mode is the new arcade mode? They just striped out the story stuff of arcade mode and made Story Mode it’s own thing. And took the high score stuff from Arcade modes intermission mini games and made it more important to Survival Modes since they took out the story portions.

Any tips on mika? Im losing my mind trying to do hers.

Yeah I gave up at it, dying in the last round. Just wait for a 2.99 dlc lol. So much time wasted.

Time wasted isn’t even it, it’s that its so BORING. Yay Spam DP for 25+ Rounds ok.

Can’t you just dash up - SPD with Gief? They can’t counter it most of the time and the Light version has great range. Mix this with a Damage bonus = GG

(EX and Hard versions with Damage bonus 3 deal like 50% damage by the way)

Thanks for the guide. Merging with the survival mode thread.

Hey guys,

yesterday I finally beat the survival mode on hard with Karin. During the process of doing the mode over and over again while ramming my head against the wall, I was looking for some guides on how to exploit the mechanics. Long story short, I only found very little information and the information I found was pretty much only relevant für Ryu and Ken. That’s why I think some people might be interested in the things I found out about the mode (took me around 20 hours to finish it with Karin). This is probably less helpful for grablers, sorry about that, I don’t play them much, because I’m on keyboard. If you have beaten the mode on hard with a grabler, you might want to add your experiences in this thread to help others, too.

plays.tv/video/56e98003212b85c2b0
(The video contains examples for the meaty cross-ups, sweeps, how to deal with M. Bison, Dhalsim and how to play defensively with punish only)

What to spent your points on:
First of all, I want to adress a couple of things other guides talked about on the internet. One I found said that you should save up your points in order to heal yourself up later on and that you should save the points up to around level 40 and then always heal yourself from stage 40-50. This is just plain bullshit, because there is no way you can survive without healing until stage 40. They probably only beat the normal mode and thought that since you only need healing for stage 20-30 on normal, it’s probably the same 10 stages for hard … well, it’s not. Another guide mentioned that you should use the double up supplement for the first 10 stages, because they’re really easy and then you’ll have enough points later on. While this is not entirely incorrect, it’s absolutely not necessary to do that. I have spent points on the attack boost for every round in the first 10-30 stages simply to get those wins as fast as possible (this saves a lot of time in the end, because let’s be honest, nobody finishes the hard mode on the first few tries, it takes a lot of tries and the time will add up). Of course, you always want to heal up, if you’re low on health.

How to end a round:
Other guides mention that it makes sense to end the round with an EX-attack or even CA for higher points. This is bullshit, because you’ll always have enough points to heal up. Safe your meter for emergency situations and only use your CA, if you’re facing an opponent you really struggle with. Other than that, just end the round with any move that’s meterless.

Strategy against the AI:
When it comes to the strategy of other guides, they talk about abusing moves, which have invincibility on them like the Shoryuken. Karin’s DP costs 1 meter though, so it’s not always available and you might want to use it to end the round with CA. So, what can we do to overcome the AI without relying on the invincible move? The answer is sweeps (cr. hk) and cross-ups. The bots tend to be vulnerable against meaty cross-ups on their wake-up and well-placed sweeps. I have tried many ways to exploit the AI and the only thing working was pressure play all the way. The only time you want to play defensively is when your health is too low to handle 1-2 hard punshes from the opponent. Then it might be smarter to block everything and just go for the lp xx something punish for their unsafe blocked moves, because they rarely go for the CA.

Stages 1-10:
For the first 10 rounds you should always walk up just a bit and then diagonally jump at the opponent to start your hit confirm combos off a j.mk (or whatever other option you have instead of the mk). The beginning is really easy, so you should not have any problems to do this. End your hit confirm combo with a move that knocks the opponent down. Then walk up a bit until your next jump in can cross-up and do the same combo again. Repeat this until the opponent blocks the jump in. If they do, use your chains and cr. mk or any other normal except for slow hard ones to push the opponent back. Do this until they are at the correct distance for the next cross-up, then immediately diagonal jump at them and repeat. This will get them stunned quickly. If you got them stunned, use your max. damage combo with a knock down at the end. This should lead to 10 perfects (or close to it).

Stage 11: Cammy:
Cammy is one of the characters, which is simply going to read your inputs later and “react” to it to punish it. However, she is vulnerable to sweeps. Do not jump in on her randomy like before. Play passively and keep yourself away from her. What you are looking for is her walking in on you. Use the sweep to knock her down as soon as she is in distance. Wait to see, whether she gets up quickly. If she does, move away a little and go for the knock down with a sweep again. Once she delays her wake up, do a meaty cross-up and try to hit it as late as possible (be careful though, she tends to dash out of it). Once you have landed the cross-up, go for it again until she blocks. Then try to get away from her again and go back to sweeps. Repeat until she is dead.

Stage 12: F.A.N.G.:
F.A.N.G. is incredibly stupid, just use the tactics from stage 1-10. This also works on the F.A.N.G.s you will face later (even the last one is as stupid as this one). If he blocks something, press buttons and simply jump at him again.

Stage 13: Ryu
At the start of the round, instantly jump diagonally at him. More often than not he will try to hadoken it and you get the free punish. If he punishes your or blocks, try to get some distance to jump in on him again, keep the pressure on just like in stage 1-10. Try to go for the cross-up jump in. Often times he is going to shoryuken it, which will then whiff and you can just punish it with another sweep.

Stage 14: M. Bison:
Probably the first real hurdle, but actually he is easier than other characters, if you know how to deal with him. At the start of the round, wait for a very brief moment and if he does nothing and just walks backwards or forward, walk at him until you’re in range for a cross-up. The only thing you need to know about M. Bison here is when you’re safe to jump at him. You’ll want the distance at which his anti-air simply whiffs. If you mess up and end up not hitting him correctly, press light attacks to push him away a little bit and jump over him. This makes him lose his charge for his scissor kicks. He is going to try something, but it is going to whiff again, just jump over him again and he will walk sooner or later, which makes him vulnerable for a cross-up again. If you fuck something up and he is on offense, wait and block everything until he uses the scissor kick, which leaves him right in front of you. It’s punishable with a 3 frame move, so use your lp xx something to punish it and get some distance again.

Stage 15: Chun-li:
She is very similar in her playstyle as Cammy. Use the same procedure like you did against Cammy on stage 11.

Stage 16: Laura:
At this point, Laura will punish unsafe jump ins. Don’t just jump at her randomly, if you can’t afford it. Go for the knockdown with a sweep and use your cross-up to eliminate her oppertunity to use the anti-air against you. You need to do the cross-up as soon as possible. If you’re too late, you’re going to get punished by her anti-air.

Stages 17-20:
All of them are vulnerable for the cross-ups and sweeps. If you want to go the safe way, wait for them to get knock down by your sweep and then go for the same stuff as earlier.

Stage 21: Dhalsim:
Dhalsim has an incredible range and the worst thing you can do against him is to play defensively. Jump at him right from the get go. You are going to eat a few punshes and fireballs, but you have to get in as soon as possible and pressure him at all costs. He is a bit random at times. Sometimes he is easily perfected and sometimes you’ll eat some attacks. So make sure that you’re high on health against him.

Stages 22-23:
Just go for the usual knock downs and cross-ups.

Stage 24: Ken:
Ken tends to be really aggresive from this point on. You can punish his aggresive playstyle easily with sweeps. He is going to fall for it pretty much every time. Wait until he uses the delay wake-up to use your cross-up or just go for sweeps only.

Stage 25: Karin:
Just like on the stage before with Ken, Karin is usually pretty aggresive and presses a lot of buttons. Try to stay away from her. The minimum distance you should have to her is your sweep range. Just like with Ken, go for the sweep and cross her up after the delayed knock down.

Stage 26: R. Mika:
From this point on, every opponent can blast your life away quickly. You need to have the previous tactics down in order to proceed successfully. For Mika, you have to keep her away from you. Use your sweep for the knock down and go for cross-ups. If she blocks, push her away with your light attacks and pokes, then dash back to get away and wait for the sweep again.

Stages 27-29:
The tactics don’t change, use the previously listed ones for the characters you’ll face.

Stage 30: Vega:
Your general gameplan doesn’t change at all, go for sweeps and cross him up. However, Vega tends to move a lot and jump around like crazy. If he is getting to close, use your light attacks and pokes to get him off of you. Then wait for the sweep and pressure him with cross-ups until he is dead.

Stage 31: Nash:
Nothing special, go for cross-ups.

Stage 32: Rashid:
Rashid is the character, which gave me the most problems in all the runs. He is super fast and tends to do a lot of random stuff. Learn his moves and be prepared for thim. Punish him when he uses unsafe moves. Try to land a sweep, if you can and then pressure him. Move back and wait for him to do something unsafe, if he is too close to you for safe jumps.

Stages 33-44:
Nothing changes much, the same tactics apply to the characters. You are not allowed to do many mistakes anymore, though. For some characters, they are just going to punish your sweep with a cr. lp into something and you’ll have to live with it. Try to get the cross-ups and pressure your opponent at all costs, unless you’re facing Cammy, Karin, R. Mika or Laura. Wait for the right oppertunity to sweep them and do the meaty cross-up.

Stage 45: Zangief
Zangief and F.A.N.G. are by far the easiest opponents you are going to face on your way. Even at stage 45, Gief is blocking almost nothing. So don’t go for the attack or defense supplement, this is a free oppertunity to charge up on life. Even a small life supplement is more useful than the defense supplement here.

Stage 46: Birdie:
Don’t jump at him from the front, always go for the cross-up jump in. Push him away, if he is blocking and jump in right away when he is at the right distance. Don’t go for the defensive style with sweeps, his is usually out-ranging you and will punish you hard for it.

Stage 47: Vega:
A lot of people have problems with Vega on this stage. The thing about him is that you can’t play him like you did before, because he plays differently than before. Previously, he was moving and jumping a lot. This time, he is still doing that, but also presses a lot of buttons. Be careful, his range with the claw on is pretty good and he keeps on pressing buttons. It’s the same with M. Bison up close, don’t press buttons! Usually, he is going pretty ape shit and even does some dumb neutral jumps. Try to punish them on reaction with jumping mks or even hks, if you’re super fast. Look for a pattern change, at some point he is going to stop pressing buttons and will just walk in on you. This is your chance for a free knock down with a sweep. Then pressure him with a meaty cross-up. Keeps the pressure on as much as you can. Be careful, if he escapes your pressure and wait for him to make another mistake.

Stages 48-49:
As mentioned earlier, F.A.N.G. is free on stage 48, just go at him like you do with Zangief. M.Bison on stage 49 is handled as usual, aswell. He just can’t deal with jumps that escape his anti-air and is bad on wake-up situations.

Stage 50: Necalli
Your main problem against Necalli is going to be your own body actually. If it’s your first time against him, you’ll be pumped with adrenaline. Might me a good point to hit the pause button and take a short break for a couple minutes. He is not much harder than the enemies you faced previously and even goes for his DP, if you do a safe jump over him. You can use this against him and always get a free crush counter sweep. Try to knock him down and go for the meaty cross-ups until he is dead.

If you have any questions, let me know and I’ll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

cheers.

Bison is free against cross-up attacks on all difficulty levels. Same applies to his last appearance on Normal difficulty.

Please look for threads on a topic before creating new ones. Merging.

Ive been playing SFV since release on a fightstick which im new to both , And on normal survival node with Ryu i keep getting to fight 27,28,29 just before 30 then i die anyone got any tips for the last few fights they seem hard??

So, I beat Hell with Ken and his infamous MP Shoryuken trick on my first try. Ryu is a bitch, but he (almost?) always starts a round with a Hadouken, so counter hitting him with Ken’s CA is a great way to start the round on your end.

I’m the guy that beat hell survival(legit)… Twice.

Ask me anything!

Tips for chun li.
Spamming df + hk, down HK gets me to stage 35-40 near flawlessly. Then they start nonstop assaulting me to death.

This is my 9 or so attempt. Frustrated af.

It just occurred to me why doesn’t anyone try timing out the CPU at the later stages if you’re having trouble getting the kill?

AS for Karin: Most of the tips that ph4ntomz gave us I applied too succefuly, In addition I can give some of my personal tips that worked in my case.

I’m refering to the highest stage level of every character.

Nash:
He has so much problems with cross-ups, and even normal jumps, he rarely AA. The only thing with that you have to be careful is his air throw.

Rashid:
It’s strange that I didn’t have any particular problems with him. He gets quite crazy sometimes, and he may punish jumps with his tornado. But he is very vulnerable when you apply pressure on him, he just eats all the cross-ups and neutral jumps after being knocked.

Karin:
She seems quite easy, but she is very fast and can grab you very easy if you are fast enough. Fortunately she forgets to block too much times.

Ryu:
Rushing him can be quite dangerous because his Shoryuken. In my case, I just play defensively, maintaining a some distance, and punishin with sweeps. He throws very silly Shoryus sometimes.

Laura:
Extremely dangerous. She can beat you very fast when she feels like becoming a God. DO NOT JUMP IN FRONT HER FACE.
The most difficult thing is to Knock her down. When she is in the ground, you can go for c.lp or c.mp (that will be blocked) + L. Ressenha. Even If she block the ressenha, finish with the follow up dash, she will eat it most of the times. Against her I tent to archieve almost a perfect, or I get my ass kicked.

Mika:
Very unpredictable. By any means, stay away from her. Sweeps works very well, and if you feel confident, you can poke with s.mk, particulary after her dash kick.

Zangief:
Is a joke. Poke like crazy with s.mk while maintaining some distance. He does that stupid kick with a little jump all the time so he will recieve very much damage with s.mk. You can cross-up him if you are confident. Be patient.

Birdie:
I had so much problems until I spend some time on training against IA. Knowing the matchup helps A LOT. You have to be cappable of reacting against his jumping command grab, with s.mp or even s.hk. I normaly stay couching and blocking at some distance, punishing his jumping command grab, util he does an usafe dash that I can punish with a combo starting with c.mp. Sometimes I can throw a sweep. After being on the ground, just apply pressure with cross-ups.

Fang:
I really don’t now. I just play normaly and win =s

Vega:
Evade all his jumps from the wall with command dash (sometimes you can punish them with an orochi or sweep after landing if you are fast). But be carefuls, because when he gets an asshole, he may bait you with a shorter jump.
After that, just couch and block every thing. You can punish very hard his kick dash, and sometimes you can punish too his rolling attack with c.mk + mujinkyaku. If he jumps, do not panic, stand block and retreat a little.

Bison:
It’s really very similar to Vega. Punish very hard his kick dash, and sometimes his scissors like Vega. The difference is that after knockin him, you can go for some safe cross-ups .

Necalli:
He just eats the 80% of the ressenhas, just gain some distance and go for the appropiate ressenha (medium or heavy).
Quite easy.

Hell Mode was easier than Hard Mode!
Worked every time:

1. Wait for cr HK
  2. Cross Up: j MK, s MP, df HP, DP. Repeat cross up or neutral jump + combo.
  3. When going gets tough or knocked down --> spam mp DP all day long.

Be wary around Stage 78. Vega or somebody decided to go beast mode.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s544/dhwang80/20160327_112635_resized_zpskvt6aify.jpg

I almost cried when I beat Hell with Ken’s MP Shoryu spam. I never see myself doing it with any other character/any other way.

I’m crying… it’s been a week since I’ve unlocked any other colors. I only have Rashid, Ryu and Ken Finished on Hard. Been trying Nash non stop but always die on 37. Any exploits?