How hard is Magneto to learn for a new player?

I’m taking Viscant’s advice and will play Magneto/Doom/Sentinel. I’m just wondering how hard is he execution wise, and how hard are his combos compared to doom?

you have to grind with Magneto for a long time to get good with him

he is a Marvel version of Ryu from SF4… he can do everything and knowing when to do what takes a lot of experience.
you only need to know one combo but practicing all his conversions, anti-airs, mixups, etc. will soak up a lot of lab time

youre running MDS?

put sent on rocket punch assist and get down the timing on short short rp then dash into 5 fierce. all the combo youll ever need. also work on converting doom rocks into ROM and youll be good

If only this was Marvel 2

I didn’t know BASEDGOD played Marvel? LOL

OT: Are you talking about Mags Dashing loop when you said “5 fierce”?

I am a novice player who decided to try to learn Magneto over a month ago because really, he’s the only top tier character that I really like (I can tolerate Wolverine–but he is pretty scrubby–which I don’t like but I’ve given in and started learning him instead). I’m sorry but Magneto’s probably one of, if not the, hardest characters to use in the game. First, his bnbs are a LOT harder than most of the cast, and WAAAAY harder than the rest of the top tier cast if you exclude lightning loops with Zero. After a while I was able to get his basic magnetic blast loop down. I was excited when I did that (and that took A WHILE). But the problem came when I realized that I 1) needed to learn the hyper grav loop and 2) I needed to learn how to convert the basic mag blast loop (or whatever bnb that Mags has) into the hyper grav loop. All I can say is lol. The hyper grav loop is one of those things that LOOKS easy, but when I actually tried it…honestly I have no idea how people get to a point where they can consistently do the loop BY ITSELF, let alone convert into it from his bnbs. It really let me know just how far ahead/deep into this game the people you see in tournament videos really are. The game is incredibly picky about the timing of the loop–and it’s an essential part of Mags game because if you can’t do it you’ll be ending your corner combos with shockwave–which means you will be doing absolutely pathetic damage.

Honestly, all of the above really bummed me out for a while because he is definitely my favorite top tier character (and favorite character in the X men universe) in the game. But he was just too much. I would spend 5 or 6 hours on Saturday and Sundays trying to learn his combos but it just didn’t work. Ironically the TMN poster who responded to you acted like a jackass and critiqued a comment I made about it taking 5-10 minutes to learn Nova’s basic combos but weeks to learn Magneto’s bnbs in another thread. He said that that was a “stupid, should be blocked etc” type comment. But I’ll tell you this; I’m a novice player like you and it REALLY did take me about 10 minutes to learn Nova’s H loops. I still can’t do the hyper grav loop and I drop the basic mag blast loop pretty frequently–and like I said I started playing Mags over a month ago. I did try learning the “easy” hyper grav loop (mmhh instead of the h sj repeat) instead of the optimal one you see in most tournaments. However, the conversion from the bnb problem still arises and that one cannot be repeated as many times. I really wish I could learn this character.

For some comparison OP I was actually able to learn Viper’s (also considered a high execution character) combos with hard work (after a few days I got the boxdash loop down at a relatively consistent level). Magneto is just very unfriendly to players without strong execution.

So is it even worth it? The game is hard enough as it with me dying after one hit, my time would probably be better served on an easier character.

Do you play on stick or pad?

That’s the really annoying thing for me about him–anyone who knows anything about this game will tell you that if you learn this character he’s incredible and can take you as far as you want to go. Not only that, but give him one of hidden missiles or sentinel drones and you can essentially throw any other character you want on your team and you still have a team that can compete on almost any level. Just go watch tournament videos and you’ll see that, once you get to a high level, he can basically hang with any character in this game. But the thing is it takes a LOOOONG time to get anywhere near that level. You will get butchered playing Magneto early on. The thing with Magneto is that he has no derp–he’s probably the only top tier character without derp actually. So what that means is that you won’t even feel like he’s a top tier character until you become excellent with him. If you find that your execution is better than most, and you are really dedicated to him I would suggest sticking with him. But I notice that in your sig you list Nova as your character for UMVC3. Nova will allow you to win even while you first start off, it won’t take you long to get to a point where you can use all of his tools, and once you do you will bulldoze through a lot of players/teams because of all his derp. And really, Nova can take you just as far as Magneto, but he doesn’t add as much to a team. Honestly, if you actually like Nova a good bit I would invest time into him. Only go the Magneto route if you actually like him. Personally I’m going to try to learn him on the side every now and then and just hope that at some point my execution will improve enough to use him.

Magneto’s derp is his jab. It antiairs, hitconfirm with it for days, and the average person cannot block tridash j.L

The problem with that is that if you don’t have good execution that’s not that great because you need to be able to confirm into his bnbs from the jab and also into the hyper grav loop. Until you learn that your opponent shouldn’t even care if they get hit by his jab or tridash j. l because you’ll only be doing mmhs land magnetic shockwave. Well if you have 3 or more bars they’ll have to take it seriously because you can gravity squeeze them after mmhs…Mags really forces you to up your game to even play at a decent level with him.

I can’t even confirm with Nova. I’m new so, learning this game is difficult because my characters die literally, after one hit. Also I wish I knew the true begginer Bnbs, a lot of people say “make your own combos” means shit to me since opponents tech out of everything I do.

Anyway enough of noob rants, I had trouble with doom then again the only serious time has gone to Nova, and he is my most consistent character, he is literally the only bright spot to playing becuase if I start the combo I will
Never drop it. In begginer tips that you guys would have found useful try to be specific as possible, I find a lot of times people say thin in general without really giving much information.

Better tips for begginers would be practice to tri jumps and move ment in the air, w/ similar specifics would be really helpful, I’m willing to learn magneto if I know what I have to do, this game is so hard when you are forced to study YouTube videos without any notations. Thanks for the replies.

Ps: I play on pad.

Bro I thought you were smarter than that

The people that say this are the people that don’t actually practice the good shit with him. With all the tech we put on the Magnus threads you have absolutely no reason to be doing mmhs xx super with any team except if it has wesker (or any otg assist). But even then you should be doing hyper grav loop(s) launch into hard knockdown assist hg xx tempest or reset if you know your shit.

How would I go about if making the transition form MMHS super? That is pretty much the level I am at with ever character in te game besides nova.

You practice.

That is pretty vague don’t you think.

Azn was a little brief, but he’s correct. Look at some of the magneto combos and pick one to play around with. If you’re still very new to the game, I’d recommend playing with an OTG assist like wesker’s samurai edge or deadpool’s katanarama until you get the hang of magneto solo. Magneto is a character only limited by your execution, creativity, reflexes, and intuition. He can literally do ANYTHING, you just have to put in the time.

Lol

lol dude either my post wasn’t clear or you read it too fast. I’m agreeing with you! What I’m saying is that for those of us without execution Mags is a nightmare because we can’t do things like the hyper grab loop or convert from his bnbs to the loop. Thus we’re stuck not even being able to benefit from his jab–we’re left with pathetic mmhs stuff. It’s really disheartening considering he’s one of my fave characters. I guess I’ll just have to keep grinding…

Heh, I don’t even know how to time the assist correctly so I rrally don’t mess with assist to OTG, either the assist doesn’t come out out or they tech out.

OT:Anyway, I may aswell learn Magnet and Doom to go with Nova since they both can DHC well with him. I guess I’m just going to learn a loop and go from there.

Thanks for all the posts guys really helpful.

How’s the Mag training going? hope you stuck with him because he is one of the most rewarding characters in the game to learn and master apart from Viper imo. I keep going back to Magneto just for the tri-dash pressure and the fact that he’s Mag-friggin-neto.

Actually looking at your sig I think you dropped Mags. I am sad.