How do I beat Air S?

Against Ghost Riders who just jump back and forward spamming air S with Doom Plasma Beam assist I just can’t touch them or move anywhere. Fate Above forbid its a good Ghost Rider, a hit means half my health is gone.
For you guys with experience playing Ghost Rider. How do people get in on you?

lol.

First of all you didnt even say what character you had. Secondly, GR jump S hits at a downward angle so you’re never going to hit him from the front on the ground with Doom’s beam assist.

Its not that hard unless you play Haggar or Hsien Ko, literally everyone else has an answer to keepaway. Try to figure something out in practice mode.

Honestly I play Vergil on point and even I have a problem with this. Teleports dont work because you cant punish the whiff once he reaches the ground and even then, you have to time the teleport so that you do it before he hits you out of it with jS. Frontal air throws dont work unless you grab him before the chain comes out. Wavedashing sort of works but he still has the probability of hitting you and since you must crouch to cancel the dash (depending on how you do it) you cant block his jS because its an overhead. And then there’s the air dash nerf.

Not saying his jS is GDLK or broken but it is annoying as hell for something as simple as jumping and pressing a button.

it’s irritating but it definitely has its weak spots. you’re going to have to block it a lot until you can put him into a position to whiff it (assuming he’s doing it like an idiot as OP mentioned i.e. spam)

try playing against a friend and picking him and play by only jumping around hitting S. You’ll learn pretty quickly that has a lot of weak spots due to its angle and active+recovery frames.

Well all isnt lost just because you cant PUNISH the jump S. I dont think anyone can without a hyper or projectile. You just need to get in, which Vergil should have absolutely no problem with. When you get in then its back to equal terms in a Vergil vs GR matchup.

Can rapid slash burst through Ghostriders whip?

Not exactly (he can still be hit out of the startup) but thats what I mean, the problem is getting in, not what to do once a player gets in there. The best strategy I’ve come up with is Vergil’s teleport up into a well timed air grab but then the combo will be heavily scaled. But seriously, if you cant punish the jS what are you supposed to against it?

Youre supposed to get in and block. Lol. Patience is your friend. Everything cant be punished so you inch your way in however long that may take and wait it out. Once you’re in GR wont be able to jump S, but if you think just because you teleported in you should be able to airthrow his j.S for a meaty combo, well then…maybe theres a lesson to be learned.

:wtf: Blocking makes the jS push you back, meaning that you’re actually giving him the advantage by blocking. Obviously Adv. Guard does the same. I never said I should be able to punish but here’s the thing: You cant get in from the front 90% of the time (100% if he has a horizontal assist) and the only way to get behind is by teleporting however he can block as soon as he touches the ground. You’re best bets are to time a teleport and airthrow or have a fast reaching AA combo. Not to sound like a douche but the thread was made to help the guy (and others) “beat” air S and all you’ve said is basically figure something out on your own, get in (isnt that what the guy is asking how to do against it?), and block which doesnt help the situation.

I dunno what you want me to say.

If you say that you cant punish Ghostriders jump S then I said get in and wait for something. I dunno what the rest of the stuff you typed is. If you cant punish his jump S what else are you trying to do?

lol this is what I mean:

You said “Try to figure something out in practice” - Whats the point of telling him to just learn something by himself? He’s asking for help so apparently he cant figure out what to do.

“You just need to get in” - Thats what he’s asking help on. Thats like someone saying they cant beat Wolvie and they get the response "kill him so he’s no longer a problem."o_O

“block” - doesnt help bc it pushes you back. it doesnt help you get in, it helps him stay out.

Im not asking you for anything in specific but what Im saying is (again no offense) you’re not really helping. I understand he didnt mention what character he uses but we could atleast try to give him some sort of general strategy.

Block still helps if you wave dash a lot since you can still make progress. If you get close enough you can go under j.s and punish or at least make him change up his game. There is very little we can say without knowing what tools you have available.

Beam Hyper Combo might work.

Do the super turbo. Wave dash along the ground after blocking it. Block. Wave dash along the ground after blocking it. Block. Eventually you’ll get in. Jump over the doom beam if you know beam is coming.

Sorry for not specifying. I play Phoenix Wright/Hulk/Doom

Maya against Ghost Rider is laughable as she takes the hits coming in(if I can call her in without getting hit in the first place) and then Ghost Rider usually jumps back Air S with Doom assist. The combined hits will knock down Maya and hit Wright if he’s not blocking. PW has no real dash and thats pretty much game in that matchup for me. I once gathered the right evidence and was able to out projectile him. But that was against a Ghost Rider without a projectile assist to rip through Maya.

With Hulk I’m just so gargantuan that GR can’t miss. The closest I’ve come to hitting Ghost Rider is waiting for the jump back air S and using Gamma Charge. I usually get close but then the multiple hits beat my armor.

Lastly Doom can’t even pretend to approach or projectile on the ground. If I super jump GR will just come up with me and there isn’t really anything I can do.

I’ve played Ghost Rider myself and really I just spam air S and Plasma Beam assist and chip people to death. I’ll mix up with heavy every now and then. The idea was to find someone who could beat my scrubby Ghost Rider, but I’ve yet to have that happen. My Ghost Rider is pretty trashy. I’ve done none of his missions and don’t really even try to combo. I don’t know any of his special moves, but none the less Ghost Rider usually holds his own weight on the team pretty well.
People usually only get in on me when I try to do new things. So I stopped doing that and I really just spam air S.
I had an Iron Fist wait out the jump forward air S, jump back air S, Plasma Beam assist, forward jump air S, jump back air S. The second jump back air S didn’t have the assist so he wavedashed in then. But then I just blocked and advance guarded him. Then I chipped him to death.

In relation to the question completely ignoring your team, Nemesis’ Deadly Reach can out annoy Ghost Rider with a good assist if you time it right. It’s still ridiculously annoying, but zoning is the entire idea behind Ghost Rider so I guess I can’t say I’m too surprised.

So three guys including myself playing UMvC3. My team: Vergil/Hulk/Ryu
Friend A: Wesker/Strider(Dat Vajra)/Hawkeye.
Friend B: Ghost Rider/Magneto(Beam)/Doom(Beam)

Friend B is just causing a salt storm with GR and two beam assists. He has yet to relearn how to play Magneto in Ultimate and can’t combo worth crap with him. He also doesn’t need to. That Ghost Rider jumping back and forth with that Air S. Completely covered by beams. Not to mention if Air S connects next to Beam assist that’s a free combo.
I don’t even block low any more or advance guard when going against Ghost Rider that was my main problem. But man once the block stun from his air S is over then he uses his heavys which knock me so far away. Timed teleports are just met by normal ground attacks, unless he’s in the air then their is a beam.
Hulk can’t pretend to get in. He can’t Gamma Wave cus it’s too slow. He can’t heavy cus air S is 3 hits. Air S also beats the armor on Gamma Charge. He’s too far away for command grabs. And super jumping is just met by GR jumping and using heavy. He doesn’t care if it hits. It keeps me away.
My Hulk normally gets in on keep away characters. But nope not GR.
Ryu… lulz no mobility. Beam hyper is too slow to hit that forward air S.

Friend A waits for Beam to be used then will wait for the forward air S. Vajra assist to try to get in. Get in try to land some blows, GR is blocking… advance gaurd. And it continues. With of course all the chip damage from dem beams.

Friend B has definitely learned how to play GR. He definitely knows his BnBs now. But I really still don’t know how to get in.

Any tips guys?

It seems like Vajra would hit Ghost Rider out of j.S if I’m thinking of the right Strider assist (Don’t play Strider, so I have no idea). I play Vergil though, so I can give you advice on that.

Vergil can Trick Up and use a well timed airthrow as you previously mentioned. The damage scaling isn’t bad either, Vergil has some pretty sick TOD combos, so you could get over 500k after the throw if you’re willing to burn a little meter, possibly more. Another strategy is Trick Down (QCB.M). If your friend spams j.S with Ghost Rider and calls Plasma Beam at that time. he’ll cover all of the ground and a diagonal angle above it. Once beam assist disappears, and GR is falling or getting ready to jump again, Trick Down behind him and incorporate a mixup. If he keeps blocking with advance guard, dash in and throw him. Vergil can wavedash over, High Time, and Dimension Slash after a ground throw.

If he predicts Trick Down, you could regular Trick, and he may block the wrong way, but his teleports are pretty easy to react to. A well timed Rapid Slash and DT cancel will take him out too. I play Trish, so I could use flight and airdashes to get rid of him. Or stay out of his range, and assualt him with Taskmaster arrows. Ghost Rider’s chains almost never reach full screen unless he’s jumping forwards. Then you can advance guard him and use projectiles of your own.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try this out!

Since you play Hulk, you could accurately predict the Jump S, and Punish him with Gamma charge, then X factor into a full combo.

Why not go in the air? You don’t have to worry about being hit by an over head or being pinned by the assist. Super jump and normal jump towards him (learn not to pushblock, it only makes the GR’s job easier and also prevents you from punishing in certain ranges). Best bet is probably normal jump towards them when distance has been closed a bit from a super jump. Wait for the j.:s: + assist, then counter call with your own assist and inch your way forward with normal jumps. GR’s best options against this is j.:h:, which shouldn’t really be a problem if you just block it (just be mindful of option select throws, his throw range is pretty good).

They might also do his Hearltess Spire (away and :h:) which is much more of a threat, in which case super jumping is again a good option. You want to inch the enemy GR into the corner to limit the amount of space he controls. Once there, just normal jump towards him again. If he calls assists, you may get a bogo. If not, he’s free for you to rushdown and do whatever. Remember to be patient playing against him. Impatience makes mistakes. You would rather block the normals and take the chip then take the full j.:s: + assist + combo afterwards.