Head Games: Ms. Fortune Character Guide v 1.9

Gross.

OK, there will be a major change in the guide since rekka head loops are going to be gone in the next patch. Adding to the guide is the following section (along with an expansion of the negative edge head games):

If you have not yet used any aerial normals in a watched chain, you can finish a corner combo with a Fiber Upper loop. It consists of using Fiber Uppers of different strengths (using all 3 in a combo, 4 if you start the combo with dp+LK), then using j.MK, j.MP->j.MK, j.LK->j.MK and j.LP->j.MK chains depending on the height of the opponent in order to use every aerial normal. s.HK can be substituted for one of the Fiber Uppers as long as you haven’t yet used it in a watched chain.

Try the following corner combos. They start with the head in the corner under the opponent. They do over 8k and are meter positive (TODs for solo Fortune against trios):

On not Double/Peacock/Parasoul/Valentine: throw, HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, s.LP, s.LP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, HP, dp+LK->K, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, dp+MK->K, j.LP, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, dp+HK->K, j.MP, j.HK, HP, land, s.HK, j.LK, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP xx qcb+HP, land, qcf+PP

On Parasoul, throw, HP, s.MP, s.MK, qcf+MP, hold HP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, s.LP, s.LP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, HP, dp+LK->K, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, f+HP, land, dp+MK->K, j.LP, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, f+HP, land, dp+HK->K, j.LK, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, f+HP, land, s.HK, j.LK, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, f+HP xx qcb+HP, land, qcf+PP

On Valentine, throw, HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, s.LP, s.LP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, HP, dp+LK->K, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, f+HP, land, dp+MK->K, j.LP, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, dp+HK->K, j.MP, j.HK, HP, land, s.HK, j.LK, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, f+HP xx qcb+HP, land, qcf+PP

On Double, throw, HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, s.LP, s.LP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, HP, dp+LK->K, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, dp+MK->K, j.LP, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, s.HK, j.MP, j.HK, HP xx qcb+HP, land, qcf+PP

On Peacock, throw, HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.MP, s.MK, hold HP, qcf+MP, qcf+MP, release HP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, qcf+LP, s.LP, s.LP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, HP, dp+LK->K, j.LK, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, dp+MK->K, j.LP, j.MK (2-hit), j.HK, HP, land, dp+HK->K, j.MP, j.HK, HP xx qcb+HP, land, qcf+PP

You’re not quite right about Fortune’s fiber upper. They all have the same invincibility but take longer to startup with the strength used. Remember to always double tap for the followup jump into more damage.

LK becomes active before invicibility wears out making it the best reversal. Hits once

MK becomes active slightly after she losed invincibility but is still usable as a ‘get off me move’ Hits twice

HK will often get beat up when you’re under pressure but controls a huge chunk of vertical space and hits 3 times. Using this in a combo or as an assist may also lead to some decent crossunder resets.

I run bella/fortune and her LK upper assist really helps to snuff mindless jump HP/HK pressure. I can’t often capitalize off it directly, but people just want to freeze and hold downback after their offense gets interrupted which is great for bella. As an added bonus, the upper can come out behind the opponent if they’re rushing you down so a hit will send them up and over you for a very surprising crossunder

Speaking of crossunders, don’t forget that Fortune’s dash is very low to the ground and pretty fast. One of her strongest abilities is to dash right under almost all jumpins (except Valentine j.HP, fuck you booby ninja) and hit them with a low short on the other side. Seriously just dash forward and hold back, she’ll run about a halfscreen, won’t flinch, and block any jumpin that actually connects.

Also, Im surprised nobody has mentioned yet that her QCF+PP super with head causes a slide after the finish. If it ends in a corner you can easily combo after it into alot more damage.In addition headsuper is surtprisingly safe on block. They can still hit you if they’ve got good timing or if they pushblock, but midmatch people tend to forget and fail to punish it properly. To be honest I feel like Fortune with head has more opportunities than without. Anybody who knows how to dashblock and pushblock can easily negate your offense if you just spam OMNOM and overheads.

You’re aware that instead of dashing, Ms. Fortune and Valentine run forward, right?

Okay, I know that by pressing 2 Punch buttons, they run at a same distance some random character dashes, but still. Nice info, though.

Nooo shit really???

Hell everybody but bella, painwheel, parasoul, and double have a run for thier forward dash.

What I mean to say is that her forward dash is a run that will either go indefinately if you hold forward or travel about midscreen unless you press down or attack. Fortune is very low to the ground while she moves so you can zip right under alot of jump attacks AND you’re allowed to hold back without stopping to block whatever manages to hit.

I did notice the Fiber Upper invincibilities and haven’t changed that section. Most of the first part of the guide was written on week 2 and I’ve been adding to it but forget to change things.

I forgot to include cross unders with her dash. My favorite is against an incoming opponent after an outtake. Since the direction you’re facing is locked, the opponent will always be crossed under, but you can delay your run in order to make it more ambiguous. I haven’t added anything recently because I’m waiting to do a large update once the final patch changes are made known. Thanks for the note; I’ll write it down in the next update.

For now, know that I have tested a substitute for head call cancel combos and a new corner combo to replace Nom loops. They do less damage, but combined can TOD in a solo vs. 2-3 person team situation. I am still testing one of them for character specificity, but for now, know that it works wonderfully and allows for resets to restart the WHOLE combo.

Stay tuned for more ridiculous things.

Well, here are my findings. The Fiber Upper loop works best with looping f+HP on: Double, Parasoul, Ms. Fortune, Filia. Everyone else you can loop HPs instead which has easier timing, although f+HP will work fine as well.

The new combo to accompany it and replace rekka head cancel loops is as follows:

Chain, qcf+MP, qcf+MP (hold HP before the hit), pause, release HP

An alternative which does more damage but is harder to time is:

Chain, delay HP, delay qcf+MP, qcf+MP (hold HP before the hit), pause, release HP

The difficulty lies in not delaying the qcf+MP long enough to be a raw qcf+MP; if it is not cancelled at any recovery frames it will be considered the start of a new loop. Tied to this problem is timing the HP release in this version, but it’s definitely possible.

The important part of this new combo is that with relatively easy positioning, it can be done midscreen and carry to the corner. The positioning is less strict than the midscreen head call cancel loop; anywhere from immediately in front of the opponent to half a screen behind is a good distance to start the first version, since the rekkas will move you, the opponent and the head to the corner.

If at any point the head hits from the front as opposed to sandwiching the opponent, continue the chain as normal but instead of rekkas do f+HP to move the head to its proper place again.

Now, if you decide to instead do a version with three rekkas, know that it will have difficulties midscreen.

It looks REALLY awkward when you’re doing it. It seems like you’re pausing forever, and the opponent is likely to think that they’re not in hitstun anymore, but they are. A few reps of this will keep them honest enough to try for a throw reset. If thrown into the corner, delay tapping HP until the pink circle appears, then s.MP, delay s.MK to restand and continue the ground loop from there. Sometimes the s.MK will not restand, but the MP rekkas might. If they don’t, finish the rekkas and/or blockbuster.

OK just so I’m clear, even though I do have more things to post I’ll withhold them and check the new tech when the patch drops. Here’s what you can expect from guide version 2.0:

Rekka/heabutt loops
Midscreen to corner combos
Fiber Upper loops
Fiber Upper resets
Using your head after throws: save your OTG
Approaching while headless
Blockbuster into Nom setups (will likely work easier with the patch)
Controlling the ground and air
Snapback setups
Safe strings
Blockstrings: true and false
Putting it all together: a “flowchart” for a good match

Also look forward to the removal of the Awesome Combos of Impracticality because of the patch removing the comboability from head call cancelled rekkas and IPS changes.

Changes in version 1.5 - Added Fiber Upper Loop and Fiber Upper Resets sections.

Added Rekka/Heasbutt loops and Midscreen-To-Corner combos.

SSSSSSSHi- This is a lot to take in. Been wanting to pick up SG, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Thought I’d share some of the resets that I use with Fortune. She has some really nasty crossunder setups thanks to fiber upper.

Reset 1:
This one is very basic, but if you launch with either cr.HP or st.HK and go into j.LK j.HP dash cancel j.LK J.HP, as soon as Fortune lands you can go for a high/low/throw mixup. I personally use this mixup often since it’s the start of my BnB, but take note that some characters (Valentine, Fortune) can double jump or airdash out of it.

Reset 2:
This one is also fairly basic. After doing any ground chain into the st.HK launcher, you do a LK fiber upper and then follow up immediately. This results in a quick cross under, and Fortune can then go into her aerial chain of choice or a grab (which can be followed up with a j.LK cr.LK into a combo if you’re close enough to the ground, or a super. Just be wary of the fact that you will have used up an OTG from the grab). Be careful that you leave enough of a gap after the fiber upper so that the hit afterwards does not combo and instead leads to a reset (unless you just wish to switch sides). Also note that due to the shape of Valentine’s hitbox, you may need to adjust some things.

Reset 3:
This one is easily my favorite cross under. Do st.HK jump cancel j.MK QCB+LK cr.LP st.HK HK fiber upper and follow up, jump forward. This results in a cross under that you can easily follow up with (again, be sure to leave a small gab so that you don’t end up continuing the combo and actually reset). This works on all characters, but with Cerebella you need to delay the followup for fiber upper in order for you to get the cross under. If your opponent becomes accustomed to the cross under, then you can simply OTG after El Gato with cr.LK. With that, you won’t crossunder, but you can still grab or try to hit the opponent out of a grab tech (if you time it correctly. . . unless they’re mashing grab, in which case you’ll get the hit anyways).

I wish that I had a proper method to show these on video since I probably did a poor job of explaining things, but hopefully this should get the general idea across.

Thanks! It’s a lot to take in because I write absolutely everything I find and anything anyone suggests.

Take your time, though. First head for the normals and specials to see which ones are worth noting. That doesn’t mean the others aren’t useful, just that some are more practical. From there, go into the Bread and Butter combos since they are easier to get into. Make sure you practice against every character, or at least against Parasoul, Fortune, Cerebella and Double. I think between all those four you have a good representation of the different weights and sizes.

Finally, learn your head games. Go into the lab and move the head around. Walk around and try your BnBs without your head on. Take a look to see how much your combos move you, and try moving your head mid combo without dropping the combo, and soon keeping track of where your head is will be second nature, and using your head will be as easy as using a HP.

If you’re ready to go deeper from there, go for your Mixups and Resets. Then try your hand at Pressure and more advanced things like Rekka/headbutt loops and Fiber Upper loops and resets. Welcome!

Very nice stuff. I’ll get to trying it and will add it to the guide someday when it’s not 4:30am lol

i must thank you for this guide it has help improve my game a lot considering im a solo Ms. Fortune player i always give it a look over before matches and i really never look this deep into fighting games.

So.
Apparently IPS counts all versions of Fiber Upper as the same move, so you can’t do Fiber Loops no mo.

http://www.twitch.tv/offcast/b/323182989
@34:40

Yep, Mike told me the sad news a few days ago. You can still loop them as long as they’re not the start of the chain, however.

Thank you. I made this guide to help others with using Fortune as well as fighting against her. I’m glad to hear it helped.

OK writing this here so I will include it at some point.

There is a crossup reset potential in IAD j.LP, qcb+LK when headless with the head in the corner. On all characters (Double is harder to time because she’s so damn tall), if you do any chains and delay HP slightly so it still combos, it pushes the opponent forward, allowing you to IAD j.LP xx qcb+LK and possibly cross up. On Double it can’t be an IAD but rather a low air dash that isn’t quite instant. To make it cross up, simply delay the j.LP. Remember: you don’t have to correct your motions since you’re not in super jump state.

Also taking advantage of headless HP’s pushing the opponent outside the corner is a cross under low/throw mixup that works on Painwheel, Peacock, Cerebella and Valentine ONLY. Since Ms. Fortune lowers her body when dashing, you can do any aerial combo (even from Fiber Upper) with the head in the very corner, then end it with j.HK, HP and dash. If the HP is timed correctly the opponent should not be horizontal and should be standing. Since you hit them in the air with the head, they will also be raised a slight bit. For those four characters, it’s enough for the dash to cross under before they recover. From this dash, a c.LK delayed SLIGHTLY will not combo, and instead should reset on anyone trying to jump, blocking incorrectly or trying to throw. A throw can be used instead, but preferably the low should be used at least at first, until your opponent is made aware of the reset and starts to block low.

OK, I am damn tired of waiting for this patch. I thought it would be OK to wait until it dropped to update but it’s been like… three months since I thought that was a good idea, so expect an update today or tomorrow including nearly everything I’ve ever found!

Updated! New for version 1.9

Updated BnBs
Keeping things safe with the head
Sandwich combos/resets A.K.A. How to make people hate Ms. Fortune