Harder to pull moves in HD remix vs IV

I just built myself a wireless 360 joystick and thought I had an issue with stick placement, cause its been really hard to do shoryukens.

So I popped in SF IV and its like day and night, absolutely no issues doing any moves.

Anyone else notice HD Remix is much harder to do moves?

I actually have a harder time doing the moves I want consistently in SF4 than in HD Remix. Here’s why:

HD Remix is more strict about it’s inputs. For example, to do a shoryuken you must press :dp::p: for it to work. If you miss one of those motions, or do it too slow then you will not get your move. So yes, this means that if you are sloppy with your input then it’ll be harder to do your move.

SF4 is very lenient about it’s inputs. It treats diagonals as either or both inputs. So, if you do :df: it will register as :r:, :d:, :d::df:, and :df::r:. This allows you to miss inputs and still get your move quite easily. For instance, the correct command for the shoryuken is the same as HD Remix. However, doing :df::df::p: in SF4 will also give you a shoryuken, and is a handy short-cut BTW.

On the surface, it would seem that yes SF4 makes it much easier to do your moves. The problem is that because it’s so “easy” to do your moves, it’s also very easy to for the game to pick the wrong move to do. A common example is Bison’s ultra. If you are charging down back and try to do the ultra it is very easy to get a teleport instead.

Personally, I like the HD Remix approach to moves better.

Like JV just said, I think what you’re dealing with is that SF4 is more lenient about inputs. You don’t have to go all the way to :r: or :l: for moves (so, you can do a Shoryuken by pressing :df::d::df:+:p:. It’s two different schools of thought. SF4, I imagine, also gives you a lot more time to input special moves. For example, if you tap :r:, you have a set amount of time to finish any special move motion that begins with :r:. HD Remix probably has a much shorter window for this.

Personally, I prefer the stricter inputs. I finally stopped playing SF4 after I don’t know how many times I tried to juggle C.Hp into Ultra with Abel, and I got EX Change of Direction, Super, and MOSTLY Ex Falling Sky, but hardly EVER the Ultra. Blowing a match like that is just ridiculous.

Something else interesting to note about SF4: I actually turned on the Input Data in Training Mode once to make sure I wasn’t messing this up, and I tried C.Hp into Ultra a few times. Many times, the Input Data showed the EXACT SAME motions from my pad, but I got different things to come out.

Overall, I feel like trying to do complicated things in Street Fighter 4 is too…sloppy. Yeah, I think sloppy is the best word. I would rather have a game demand speed and clarity from me, since a big part of fighting games is precise execution in the first place.

“The commands are so easy in Street Fighter IV, It’s like Street Fighter for infants”

play a mans game

I have yet to play SFIV, but HDr plays like a dream. Flows like water. I’d imagine it’d be rather difficult for any other game (including SFIV) to be better execution wise. I have heard landing combos is much easier to pull off in SFIV, but haven’t heard much about move execution.

From playing SFIV for quite a bit it’s definitely easier to do special moves and bread and butter combos, but once you try to do some of the more complicated combos in the game, it’s fairly easy to get the moves you didn’t want to come out instead.

After playing 4 and then going back to HD remix with my HRAP 3, I can no longer do shoryukens in HD remix… it’s so easy in 4 that I cant even seem to get it in HD remix at all.

I think HD Remix feels easier. I’m basing this off of El Fuerte’s 4th Challenge on Hard the standing light kick to crouching medium to Super. That stuff is easier for me to do in HD Remix, the buffering into Super motion.

From my experience, I find that both games offer their own set of challenges. STHD seems a little more lenient on the timing for hit-strings, but the execution of moves feels very strict whereas in SFIV, I can pull of supers and specials for all the characters like they’re nobody’s business (Even during times where it felt like I scrambled the command which would most definitely have screw up in STHD) However, timing on SFIV for hits can drive me insane sometimes.

Moves like Sagat’s Fake Kick and Gouken’s s.Strong --> c.Forward string are deceptively hard to pull off for me.

I prefer the HDR approach also. I get DPs when doing QCFx2 motions all the time in SFIV because of the easier inputs. I also like how HDR simplified the actual motions (as opposed to input leniency) of many movies including Fei’s chicken wing, Cammy’s Hooligan, Guile’s super, Gief’s SPD, ect.

After playing SF4 for a week my execution in HDR was shit because those easy inputs let me be sloppy with my moves.

Took me about a day to get it back to normal.

I still like HDR inputs better than SF4 because SF4 tends to magically give me weird inputs (my DPs sometimes register as qcfx2+punch super moves…), whereas in HDR I almost never get the wrong move unless I seriously mess up the motion.

I suggest practicing in training mode if you’ve been playing SF4 a lot, just to get re-acclimated to the HDR timings.

I also agree that input simplification and extending the input time window is a better approach than SF4’s input leniancy. Although I might actually like SF4’s easy input for the non-super SPD better than HDRs.

This is what made ST so hardcore. The fact reversal window was a single frame. The fact that if you wanted to do walk up command throw with T.Hawk you only got three frames before you went into jump. That hand slaps and electricity required you to mash five inputs on one button extremely rapidly.

The mind game tactics in ST were extremely difficult to grasp, especially at faster games speeds. And even if you knew what do, the inputs required so much concentration, that they became prohibitively difficult. The game required you to allocate so much focus to not only what was going on on the screen, and in your opponent’s head, but also on your hand dexterity.

HDR has made parts of this easier input wise. Making SRK the joystick motion window easier, giving command throws new inputs that don’t overlap jumping, and making hands and electricity two less button presses.

SFIV in some cases went to the other extreme. Making the reversal window incredibly large. Giving movies simplified shortcuts (like df,df for an SRK uh wtf?) but then keeping the old command for the SPD, Hooligan, and Chicken Wing anyways. Makes no sense for half of the moves to get shortcuts and the other half not.

At the end of the day, they are different games, and you need to be able to adapt to both. Ask anyone who played ST and 3S what would happen after playing hours of 3S with Ken or Ryu or Chun and then going back to their ST counterparts and trying to land a throw with LP+LK…

Even now in HDR after playing Dictator in SFIV I try to use LP+LK for throw sometimes before I realize I’m playing a different game.

Moves weren’t given shortcuts, it’s just a side effect of the input engine. My guess is that hitting a corner can count for 2 of the 3 directions. That’s why doing it twice for a dp, which requires 3 directional inputs, will work. You can do a hooligan throw by tapping db, df, uf.

Exactly! It just shows that Capcom is a big fan of Sabin’s Blitz attacks from Final Fantasy VI! :wgrin:

• James

^^I could be wrong, but isn’t it the other way around? Didn’t Square copy Capcom’s SF inputs for Sabin’s Blitz attacks? Either way, it’s cool. LOL That’s actually where my nick comes from. Luv dat Sabin’s “Aura Wave”. HADOKEN!! = )

Nah, I’m just joking around. ^^ I just said that because you could totally short cut all the Blitz attacks in that game. So Bum Rush, which was a 360 motion, could be done by tapping Left, Down, Down, Down, Right, Up, Up, Up, Left. Basically, wherever a diagonal was supposed to be, you could tap either of the two straight directions. That’s what the “shortcuts” in SFIV’s codes feel like to me. ^^ They feel like the “cheats” you could use on the Blitz attacks.

• James

I never knew about the blitz attack shortcuts. They are difficult to do on the DS but now I know the trick.

Also I do want to say one thing that IS harder to deal with in SF4 as opposed to HD Remix is, the amount of time available to buffer your inputs can be much shorter in SF4, for example after getting up, getting hit, or recovering from another move the time alloted to do the input is much smaller in SF4.

You mean reversals then? They are a lot easier arent they, you can just do them 5 frame beforehand and lets the buffer do the rest, no?

well lets say, as an example with akuma, you do light tastsumaki and land to do SRK. The window that you have to input the SRK is very tight. This also applies to doing more complicated out of blockstun, for example: block an unsafe attack, then do raging demon. It can be tricky compared to the timing in HDR. While the notations are much much easier, the timing is what I find more difficult.