Gief knowledge

Haha, I’m one of those people who would rather never have Gief snapped in… but I think I’ve played on point with him enough to be able to hold an okay ground as long as its not against storm.

I think that assist that helps gief get close to the enemy is Sentinel with the gamma assist. Kind of makes up for the projectiles and distance that Gief lacks. One of my fave teams is Cable/Sent/Gief.

What do you think about Mech Gief as an assist? I used to like to change him to mech when he gets put in on point, but lately I feel like he takes too much damage when he can’t get knocked out of the lariat (especially from hail storm)

Yes, versus Storm, Gief doesn’t want to be on point at all. That’s a counter pick scenario right there; if you want to run Gief versus a Storm team, you’ve got to set up a team that lets him DHC in and out safe. Unfortunately, every major team has Storm, so its def. an uphill battle. Gief/Storm/Sent can run with anything though, in any character order.

Zangief can run even with any of the tops, except Storm, her runaway game versus Gief’s inability to gain ground is a pointless fight-- she wins it easy every time. Best bet is to get bar and DHC in.

Versus Mag, Gief has an easier read, he knows its RTSD time, so you can block and guard cancel into SPD, or wakeup SPD, block into an assist pin setup with a SPD chance.

Versus Cable, same as anybody else, you’re just not allowed to make any mistakes when you’re on his horizontal, but he can’t chip you to death like Storm.

Versus Sent., he can chip you but that’s all his bar, so it’s no problem to sit and block. Sent’s so big that you can air SPD right through a lot of jumping normals, and just generally grab too much random stuff to even understand. Classic big character piledriver vacuum action.

I like Mag/Gief/Tron to start with, and if that gets shut down, you can counter pick a Storm or Cable or Sent depending on what you’re up against.

Mech Gief is fun sometimes. Kill a character in the corner, then Mech-up and layer a Tron plus LK Aerial Russian Slam. Right there Gief’s in prime position for his SPD/mixup game. IIRC Gief is not push-blockable because the ARS is basically an empty jump, so if they PB Tron, its land, tick, SPD. Standing LP is god-like as far as a jump-check, jumping LK too. Metal Gief is only worth it when you have another character that wants him as an assist though.

You’ve got to want him to get on point though-- he’s not that good an assist to warrant having him as an assist only character. IMO he’s got far more damage potential than CapCom or Psylocke. I’d even place Tron ahead of both of them-- bitch is too good, but harrrd to use right. Gief’s the same way, he rapes anybody that doesn’t learn to just run away. (At which point he just gets wrecked-- but if you can force run-away at will, then you can work around that with the rest of your team).

Gief on point seems to own Magneto pretty hard, especially when hes in mech form. Its nice to see when Mag cant do his infinite and rushdown =)

I love Gief as an assist though… Who else can you call in and just block off a chunk of the ground for several seconds! True… CapCom does block off a huge part of the ground and air, but he doesn’t open up that AHVB option. In my experience and also in watching some Julian Robinson vids, it seems like people get caught by Gief assist quite often.

Do you know if people are able to roll out of that thing in the video by the way?

^^^
Tron projectile? That’s solid ground coverage, and stoopid damage to boot.

What thing/what video? Yours? set it on auto-roll.

Did you play your Gief teams at Evo when you went? How did you do?

I’m planning to go to at least Evo West in 2008, just for fun, but I don’t know if I’d fair too well with a Gief team. Even if Gief/Cable/(Storm,Sent) is my main team that I have the most fun with.

I got killed.

At last Evo East though, I had only been playing the game seriously for a couple months. I didn’t realize how nasty Marvel comp. got since I was first into the game way back. Really an eye-opener, I’ve just been x-copying Yipes attack patterns lately, lol. I’ve learned a shit-ton about the game engine and general improvements in strategy across the board since then, so I’m hoping to bring it in time for next Evo.

The low-tier dudes here on SRK post good shit-- you really have to know the game to make it with lows, so I learned almost everything just from that approach lately.

There’s a Seattle Gief player named Brian who’s pretty good who you can find on Preppy’s site. Not afraid to run Gief versus tops at all. IMO he doesn’t maximize Gief at all, but he’s still a threat because he plays smart, and will get the wake-up piledriver at most opportunities.

I’m not even a Gief “player” really bc I’m not out there playing versus much comp-- just exploring what he can do on my own.

Yeah thats true. Like Justin Wong running that completely low tier team Ruby Jill Ken… and he’d probably still smash most of the Marvel players out there. 6-10 on that match vs DarkPrince is very impressive to me… I think he actually took a lead at one point? Like if they played to 4 or 5, he would have won. :rofl:

OoO I think I’ve come across a nice little Gief discovery… I’ll let you guys know on Friday night when I have time to make a little video of it.

I guess its not too horribly exciting though. :wonder:

Nah i know you just wanna spill the beams. Hit me up on AIM if you ever wanna talk Giefness.

Haha, it’s really not that exciting… it’s really simple though, so I bet people know this already.

The thingy I “found” is that when you snap out an opponent, or when you kill a character and another character is about to jump in, you go to the edge of the screen (hard to get there with gief yeah =() and time an lp (or whatever attack will allow you to hit an opponent and land before they do) before the character appears on screen. If you time it right, you land right before they do and you poke their block, and then you go immediately into the triple team hyper combo (the one where you hit both assist buttons at one time), resulting in a ‘guard break’ because of the quick startup of Gief’s super spinning lariat thing which hits them while they’re still in normal jump animation. You may also end up crossing up the opponent at the same time when you land.

BTW: How do you set the dummy on auto block or roll or stuff like that?

That is a badass guard break when teamed up with hulk.

Also, to change dummy settings, you just go to the training menu, dummy settings, and then normal, and there will be a set of options there.

I was playing around with Zangief on point with other assists for like… 6 hours in training mode yesterday, and I came out with a 100% combo with a DHC.

Start off with cross up with a jumping body splash, and call sent drones, Land, s.RH xx lk ARS (sent drones will hit around this time, sent drones had to be called before the crossup so that they come from the side of the screen that you’re now facing. If sent drones come out on the side that your back is to, then the enemy will be able to block them after the s.RH) j.lk, j.PPLariat, land, FAB (because the lariat hit when you’re both still in the air, they will fall straight down into an unavoidable FAB), then DHC into Sentinel qcf PP when the last hit of the of the FAB, before the last hit damage registers, and it will end up with the opponent going straight into the mouth orb of sent.

What you should end up with is a 8-9 hit combo finishing with an unavoidable FAB.

Without the DHC, it will leave the opponent with about 1/10 to 1/7 of a life bar left. If Sent mouth orb doesn’t kill them, then DHC into the next character.

The most difficult part of this is just getting the sent drones to hit in time so that you can continue the combo with the j.lk.

Theres also a little mix-up game if you’re ever able to trip the opponent or have them land somewhat close to you so you’re in cross up range or s.RH range.

If s.RH hits, cancel into an lk ARS without calling an assist, and you’ll slam them straight down into the ground again if they don’t roll. At this point you can either cross them up with body splash and go into above combo, jump straight up and come down with the knee drop and go into another s.RH xx, or jump straight up and land with an lk trip and go into another s.RH xx.

By the way, I would have provided some clips but my expensive ass digital camera broke. Lame!

[media=youtube]pO61Brr7maQ[/media]

this is pretty neat.

Yeah I love me some mech gief assist too!

That assist call he does at about 1:30 when Bison jumps in is crazy useful… Just get to the edge of the screen, call Gief ground assist, and you have a great chance to cross them up especially with Storm (easy fake out), and then just go into a launcher magic lightning attack lightning storm for free.

Alright boys, I finally got a video up for all you non believers!

[media=youtube]SQc6sZa7WBo[/media]

Enjoy =)

this is exactly why metal zangief is viable against top tier teams, but like someone said, it should be metal zangief.

this assist is amazing if you have Cable on point… no matter what assist they call or when they call it, cable gets ahvb x3 lol.

wow, thats looked better than jin’s tornado. :hitit:

don’t know if you’ve figured this out yet ecgief but you can do safe 360’s in marvel just like in ST.

db+lp, 360 back to DB and hit P. If you fuck it up, its just a c.jab. If you time it right, its a 360.

Marvel 360 inputs are really easy to get in comparison to ST. There a bigger input window so take it for what its worth.

Except it sure doesn’t tick like you can in ST. Block stun lasts forever in this game

you gotta chain cancel tick.

c.lp, c.fp, then hit them with a safe 360 attempt with the DB version. You cancel out before the c.fp fully animates.