Get Dizzy: The Vertigo Thread

Who’s reading Vertigo books? Current stuff or vintage, whatever.

I try to read everything they put out, but it’s tough to keep up. It’s really nice that most of their new #1 issues are a single buck and they make the first volume of each TPB super cheap. The Vertigo Crime line also looks sexy - I gotta get that Filthy Rich book!

Finally got around to reading the latest FAAAAAAAAAAAABLES!!!11! TRADE, BABY. I laughed, I cried, I took a dump after I finished it. Bucky’s art just gets better and better. The Allred issue was solid, but most of the guest artists just make me treasure Bucky’s work all the more.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLES!!!
what was the latest TPB?

try 100 bullets too

The latest FAAAAAAAAAAABLES!!!11 volume is 12, The Dark Ages. Collects #s 76-82, I believe.

I’m so behind on 100 Bullets. I own the first 11 books, but I think the last one I read was Strychnine Lives, and that was when that book was new. I need to pick up the last two books and just go on a marathon session so I can try and keep all the subplots straight.

yeah but do you got dat madame xanadu?

Not yet, but I’m gonna get it… 13 bucks for 10 issues is a great deal, especially if there’s a discount involved. Did you read it yet?

Read DMZ. Didn’t like it. Stopped reading it.

Read Northlanders. Kinda like it though not as much as I used to.

Read The Losers. Liked it.

Read Y: The Last Man. Liked it.

Reading Fables. Used tobe good but it should end now. Crossover was the pits.

Read Flex Mentallo. Didn’t like it.

Read Preacher. Liked it a lot.

Read 100 Bullets. It’s okay but a little overrated and tough to understand.

Read WE3. Liked it.

That’s all I can remember right now.

Yeah crossover was garabge but it’s getting to the regular good storytelling now

I haven’t read the Fables crossover yet, but I’ve read the first three or four Jack of Fables TPBs and didn’t think they were particularly good. Sure, they were still better than your typical run of the mill DC or Marvel comic, but they weren’t up to usual Vertigo standards. And now they’re gonna do a Cinderella miniseries, but I don’t know about that. FAAAAAAAAAAAAABLES!!!11! is unquestionably awesome, but I still haven’t read another Willingham comic that I’ve really liked. I’ll definitely buy his novel, though.

It’s tough to keep up with everything. Like for example, I’m really behind on DMZ. I think I only have the first two or three TRADES, BABY. I like it well enough, yet I guess I’m not as fervent for it as some other titles; I am content to bide my time and buy the next few books when I can find 'em for pretty cheap. I greatly enjoyed the first Northlanders arc, but I haven’t picked up volume 2 yet. I’m pretty much a Brian Wood whore, though, so I’ll get it eventually.

I’m particularly fond of 100 Bullets, but I haven’t read nearly as many Vertigo titles as I would like. In fact, I’m still on The Counterfifth Detective, the same trade I was reading when the 100 Bullets thread died. It’s a pity too, because ever since my first exposure I was immediately addicted to the Azzarello/Risso team. Besides that, I can only add the many titles that I would like to read when I can afford them, like El Diablo, Flex Mentallo, Jonny Double, Loveless, The Sandman, Sandman Mystery Theater, Scalped and Transmetropolitan. Any suggestions?

The Milo arc was one of my fav arcs in 100 bullets realy feels like an old school black and white noir

By the way, have you read Batman: Broken City? Essential for any 100 Bullets fan.

Jonny Double is a good read. You can definitely see how the Azz/Risso team developed their chemistry with that book.

Loveless is pretty good stuff, too, but it was canceled prematurely - probably all the evidence you need to know that it’s good. I only have the first TRADE, BABY, and I’ll try to pick up the other two at the next convention I hit.

I haven’t read Flex Mentallo. From interviews, it sounds like Morrison is just resigned to the fact that it will never be able to get reprinted. We all know there is only one way to OBTAIN it because of mean old Charles Atlas and his dirty lawyers, but I don’t think I can say anything more or Sano will give me another infraction.

Scalped is excellent stuff and will fill the gaping hole in our crime-loving hearts now that 100 Bullets is over. Again, I’m way behind on the TPBs. Only have the first one, but I’ve read it two or three times 'cause it’s just that dang good. Jason Aaron’s a great writer. His other Vertigo book, The Other Side, a Vietnam War story with art by Cameron Stewart, is highly recommended. It’s one of the best war comics published in recent times, I’d say.

Sandman, of course, is Sandman… Don’t ask, just read it. Is there a more quintessential Vertigo title than Sandman? I don’t think so. Hellblazer is indisputably Vertigo’s flagship title, but I’m pretty sure that when people think of Vertigo, they think of Sandman first.

Some people probably feel Preacher deserves top billing, but I don’t wanna argue. Preacher’s a great series, too. I don’t agree with any of Ennis’ theology, but I ain’t gonna lie, his story is just gripping. It’s the Great American Novel, in comic book form, written by an Irish dude and illustrated by an English dude.

I am ashamed to admit I have not read most of Transmetropolitan. I’ve only read two random volumes of it, and this was years ago. My buddy has the entire run, so at some point I am gonna steal or borrow his copies. I haven’t read El Diablo, either, but I don’t know anyone I can steal it from, so I might have to just cave and buy it.

Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of my personal all-time favorite series ever. Every issue is just chock full of great storytelling. Matt Wagner and Steven T. Seagle write it and Guy Davis draws most of it. Davis is one of my favorite artists ever. He excels at drawing architecture and period pieces. His people all look like people and he just has a great sense of body language and facial expressions. The series takes place in pre-World War II New York and details the adventures of the Golden Age Sandman and his paramour. It’s got a lot of dark stuff going on, really showing the filthy underbelly of the early half of the previous century. What’s fascinating is how the writers constantly present all these old-school social ills and miscreants and subtly point out how very little society has improved over the decades. It’s a chilling but ultimately hopeful series, and it also has what’s probably my favorite romantic relationship in comics.

I also recommend Shade, The Changing Man. The whole series (I hope!) is about to reprinted in TRADE, BABY this year. The first two volumes of it have already been solicited. It’s my favorite comic.

Pretty much any Peter Milligan Vertigo comic is straight cash, homey. Enigma is a deconstructionist superhero tale so well done that I would not bat an eye if someone mentioned it in the same breath as Watchmen. The Extremist, Egypt, Girl - look for any of his comics in a bargain bin near you. Human Target was, in my mind, the equal of any of the other Vertigo titles of its generation - right up there in terms of quality with FAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLES!!!11! and Y: The Last MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!11!. I think someone actually made Human Target into a TV series that should be coming out soon… No idea how that’s gonna turn out (hopefully better than the Rick Springfield version) but from what I hear, it sounds like they were inspired by the Milligan version. I’ve jumped on board Greek Street as well, and it’s one of the only comics I actually buy the issues.

DMZ - awesome
Exterminators - awesome
Sandman Mystery Theater - awesome
Preacher - Awesome
Transmetropolitan - Awesome
We3 - Awesome
Young Liars - Great
Y: The Last Man - Overrated

just read the entirev run of y at work today. greatest vertigo book ever

Don’t forget SEAGUUUUUUY!!!1

Nope, definitely cannot forget about SEAGUUUUUUUUUY!!!11!!!1 The Slaves of Mickey Eye was so good. Hopefully it won’t be too long until we get the final part of the trilogy. The wait between the first and second parts was killer. I think Morrison’s next Vertigo book is something called Joe the Barbarian, an eight-part series. Definitely can’t wait to get the TRADE, BABY.

I haven’t even read all of the Invisibles… Even Vertigo’s back catalog is too much for one man on a limited budget. I found a couple volumes of it at a library once, but could never get the entire thing in consecutive order. So I own The Filth instead, and it’s broken my mind every single time I’ve read it.

The fact that you did this at work probably means you have the greatest job ever.

[quote=“Zephyranthes, post:15, topic:79000”]

Nope, definitely cannot forget about SEAGUUUUUUUUUY!!!11!!!1 The Slaves of Mickey Eye was so good. Hopefully it won’t be too long until we get the final part of the trilogy. The wait between the first and second parts was killer. I think Morrison’s next Vertigo book is something called Joe the Barbarian, an eight-part series. Definitely can’t wait to get the TRADE, BABY.[/qoute]
yeah and he said everyone will appearther from Batman to Optimus-Prime
can’t wait either

What’s the deal with Jack of Fables? Why is it so bad and boring?

How come everything Bill Willingham writes that isn’t FAAAAABLES!!!111 kind of sucks?

Don’t be hating on fun books, bitch :mad::arazz:

I’ve got Y the Last Man books 1-9
Swamp Thing books 1-6
V for Vendetta
100 Bullets Books 1-3
Fables book 1 (only one I could find sadly)

…and that’s it off the top of my head.
I didn’t like 100 Bullets mid-way through around #50 or so, but I did enjoy the first stories

I honestly don’t know, man. Greek Street #3 contained a snippet of the Peter & Max novel, and it seems good and I will definitely buy it.

People say plenty of positive things about Elementals, Willingham’s Comico series from the '80s. I haven’t read it, though, so it’s your job to track it all down, read it, and write me a book report.

Has anyone read Cairo? That’s a nice book I’ve read a year or 2 ago.