Gen Mk Hands 101 (Please read b4 anymore mk hands threads are started)

Gen: Where you literally have to be adept at playing piano to use him

:rofl: Get this thread stickied if you don’t want a bunch of Gen HHS threads popping up.

Before I shelve Gen for good, how long did it take you to get the mk hands down somewhat consistently? I’ve been practicing for a bit, both slide and piano, but no consistent results.

I think I’m going to focus on slide because the piano method starts to hurt after a while. I’m also going to acquire a glove for this.

Having said that, how many practice hours does it take before you reach some form of consistency? I really want to play Gen, but my execution isn’t as flawless as I’d like it to be.

ariez - how useful do you think this would be for other characters? It seems like it would help me learn to use all my fingers effectively and cut down on training mode time.

It took me a good hour or so to decide that I preferred pianoing over sliding and maybe a week (1-2 hours per session in training mode) to get it maybe 80-90% of the time.

Thanks. My right hand execution is not stellar, I have trouble doing hp mp lp mp hp, for example. I also don’t always fully lift off each finger so I get a lot of EX’s.

I do appreciate the heads-up. At least I have a goal to shoot for.

When i first hit training mode i could do mk hands more often using slide than piano. It wasn’t very comfortable or effective (my hand kept slipping) so i looked at several piano methods and settled on which felt comfortable to do. It took about an hour or two to get up to 50% success rate with Ex, mp and lp hands coming out every now and then. I stopped using training mode and just played matches for training to relieve the boredom, also because repeated pianoing aches. I’m up to about 80% success rate now, with ex getting less frequent. It all hinged on which piano felt natural, then the more you do it, the better you get. I use mk+lp, (hp~mp~lp), hp.

hrmm…I tried playing gen after seeing the mk hands and I found that placing my thumb on the mk and having my finger on the punches work the best. Once I press the mk with my thumb, I immediately follow it with finger drumming the punch buttons.

Thanks for the thread,

I love Gen, but until recently people haven’t been doing many console characters in tournies and seeing him at evo and a few other recent tournies definately interested me. I saw MK linking to all sorts of things when I usually used other things.

Thankfully I like messing round with pianos and played the trumpet for years(which just so happens to use the right hand with distinct fingerings with the 2 3 and 4 fingers… using thumb for MK isn’t difficult.

You should add to this thread not just how to do it. But in what situations certain ways of combo-ing into hands is good. Like for instance using hp > hands to stand the person up, who that works on and who it doesn’t. And how fadc doesn’t work on blanka because of his hit box. Ect…

Has anyone damaged buttons doing the slide method? I thought I caught the edge of one of my buttons and thought I pulled the button out. Luckily this didn’t happen and the stick was fine, but it got me wondering if anyone had this issue.

I’m starting to get piano method down, but I EX a lot, but that will come with time.

I only slide on a cheapass 50$ fighting stick and I’ve never broken a button or anything.

The skin on your fingers is going to break before the machine manufactured buttons are. Which I mention because blisters have happened to me and a few others that post here. I think that happens because of bad technique more than anything else though (too much force at bad angles before you get comfortable with the motion).

I imagine the slide causes more wear and tear over time. But I’ve been doing the slide for quite a while and my stick is fine. Of course I also use a glove.

I just picked up Gen over the weekend after watching Yeb’s performance thinking the mk to hands combo would be easy. Boy was I wrong. It wasn’t until I started the challenges with Gen when I found out how strict the window is to get the hands to link after mk, including FADC following hands.

I’ve found mk+lp then piano to work the best for me. Since I’ll be playing him casually I won’t stress over perfecting it. Just that much more respect for all you Gen players who have this combo down with a high consistency percentage. Those trying to get it down keep practicing. It’s all about the method you use along with muscle memory to be consistent.

i for one try the sliding gently but yea, even though i am training mk hands, sliding c.lp xx hhs while in a tense game, i usually mess up. (need more training)

thx 4 the great thread, i am gonna exercise more :’)

I’m having a hard time with this… How much of this combo is linking? MP to MK is a link right? What about the hands after the MK?

I’m not sure I understand entirely.

Your MK is cancelled into Hands, your MK after hands is a link though.

MP**(link)MK(cancel)Hands(link)MK(cancel)**Hands

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, again I don’t think I completely understand the question :rolleyes:

Someone want to translate the exercises for a cross handed player? Or offer up what they think is a good solution for the MK Hands, cuz I just can’t get it.

Also, before anyone says I need to switch my hands that is just not going to happen. I have been playing SF for 20 yrs cross handed and can do walk up 720’s and standing flash kick supers in alpha. This technique however is something I have never had to do for an input. I have never piano’d SPD’s or reversals let alone Lightning Kicks or Hands.

Some ideas here would be appreciated.

My biggest problem seems to be in the fact that after I Mk+hands the first time, I’m too far away to link the second Mk.

Am I just hitting the Mk too late? or what is happening?

You have to walk forward the tiniest bit after the 1st mk-hands to get the 2nd one off. But, on some characters(like Blanka) the 2nd mk-hands doesnt hit properly.