G.I. JOE Comic Thread

Hey guys.
I’ve only read the Marvel series back in the day but am looking for some good joe reads.
Should I start with Hama’s rah continuation?
Is any if the devils due stuff good?
What about all these other series I.e cobra etc?
Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah G.I. Joe ARAH is great.

Devil’s Due performed a time skip and put 10 years between the original Marvel comics and their run. They still used the sliding time scale a bit because characters that served in Viet Nam would be too old. Now people just served in some Asian conflict.

The Devil’s Due comic does have a definitive ending to the G.I. Joe saga and it is the only comic book version that does really (since the Marvel comic continues twice over of course). Some liked the ending, some didn’t but if you want an ending as opposed to something that seemingly goes on forever go here. With the Marvel stuff it’s still a conclusion to 20 plus years of comics.

G.I. Joe ARAH picks up right where Hama left off with no time skip. However all of the gadgets and military terms are those of today so it takes place right now. Hama isn’t concerned with the time issue since he figures it’s not the real world anyway. For what it’s worth he has yet to mention Viet Nam though.

The new IDW series is a reboot, which obviously takes place today.

I’m more of a fan of the Marvel comics and ARAH but all of the comics are pretty good. Kind of depends on how you want to approach the Joes I suppose.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

As a kid, I liked the old Marvel GI Joe comics. As an adult, I like GI Joe: America’s Elite, particularly the first year and a half’s worth of issues which were written by Joe Casey and mostly drawn by Stefano Caselli. America’s Elite was Devil’s Due, though, so I have no idea if those comics are easy to obtain or not.

Also, the GI Joe: Resolute animation was superb. Warren Ellis wrote it.

Yeah I liked G.I. Joe Resolute too. I have to pick that up on DVD sooner or later. I’ve only seen it once on Cartoon Network.

Oh hey!

Reading the Marvel G.I. Joe comics right now, then probably the IDW set since it continues off of the Marvel ones. Pretty good so far.

EDIT: Favorite characters guys?

Joes: Flint, Shipwreck, Mainframe, Sgt. Slaughter (Lol).
Cobra: Zartan, Storm Shadow, Dr. Mindbender, Tomax/Xamot, Firefly. (Hint: I really like Cobra, greatest fictional evil organization to me).

Because AYO asked.

Favorite Cobra characters: Everybody except Serpentor. To be fair he was better in the Marvel comics than the cartoon. I didn’t like Fred VII Cobra Commander either. Regular Cobra Commander is my favorite. Big up to Zartan and his siblings, Tomax, Xamot, Baroness, Destro, Firefly, seriously every Cobra just about.

G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes. And that’s kind of it lol! I guess toss in Storm Shadow whenever he’s a good guy and Billy. I guess because of the cartoon I dig Shipwreck and Dusty, but Hama never really does much with them so out of sight out of mind.

Just like Transformers I find the villains more interesting than the heroes. It might have to do with the fact that all of the toys for the bad guys were harder to find and in higher demand than all of the good guys for some reason. Probably the only two franchises where I like the villains more than the heroes to such an extent.

Damn this Marvel Joe comic is good, nothing but one-off stories so far but they are done well. Snake Eyes has pretty hand-writing.

I always liked Storm Shadow because he was just as cool as Snake Eyes but, you know, Asian, so I could claim him.

I thought you were white.

Storm Shadow was like give no fucks and more traditional, compared to the unorthodox Snake Eyes who used guns as well. I really enjoy his character.

I thought everyone knew Zeph was Asian.

Still love the famous Snake Eyes silent issue back in the Marvel days.

Well, AYO?! also thought I was a girl, so anything’s possible, I suppose.

That would have made you the perfect woman for me. Asian for SRK purposes, female as in no hidden junk, and a comic cynic. I’d be in heaven.

About to get to the second wave of characters and Destro popping up, DIS COMIC SO GOOD!

How am I a comic cynic? There’s a difference between being a cynic and actually having standards.

God damn stop reading so much into my comments/jabs that take .5 seconds to write up.

So we going to talk about G.I. Joe or let this thread die off like the couple of dozen other ones here? I’ve been rewatching Season One while reading the titles.

Favorite Joes: Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Flint, LJaye, Shipwreck
Fav Cobras: Destro, CC, Baroness, Zartan,

I have been watching Season 2 of sunbow and while there are goodstories about, it feels blah due to minimal CC. Serpentor isnt really in as many eps, and when hes there , just barks some orders. Other than the Arise Serpentor Miniseries and my favorite things ep, he barely does anything.
Also, it seemed most of his dialogue is with Mindbender, so weve got hardly any conflict.

Yeah Serpentor seemed extremely wasted, why build him up to only use him at very rare times? They got some funny stories in Season 2 though, Sgt. Slaughter episodes are a good example of the best shit ever.

No wonder no one likes him really.

Maybe if you took more than .5 seconds to write something, and put some actual thought into a post, discussions around here would be more interesting. If you’re gonna make remarks about me, stop taking umbrage if I actually respond. It’s nothing personal.

No “umbrage” taken sir, lol.

Onto issue #11 so far, where the new crew (AKA Toys) are introduced. So does Destro have any political ties in the Cobra organization? He’s their black market weapons dealer, but it seems as if he is solely tied to them instead out of out for himself (Similar to Zartan, who is simply in it for the money and has bailed out early quite a few times due to lack of loyalties).

Just seems odd.

Ha they went to San Diego Comic con in ARAH this week. Some fun nods to Transformers and other comics.

No one reading the new ones, i have been enoying gijoe, cobra and snake eyes so far