Full-time Purple Spider Lesbian: Juri Match-up/Strategy Thread

New thread was made coz the old one got cluttered and finding good info became hard with all the buried stuff.

this is currently still in progress as I dont have the time to collect/write the info on all the MU’s, so any help with that is greatly appreciated :]

**Current Progress: **
Since Ryuga did the honor of collecting all the info in the old Matchup thread the only thing left is writing MUs from scratch I guess, so if you think you have enough exp/info vs a character you’re welcome towrite your own and PM it to me or Post it here and ill put it in the first page. Just make sure all the info is correct so you wont mislead your fellow Juri users :smiley:

just let me know so I’d put the MUs you’re working on as “in-progress” so we wont have 3 people doing Chun-Li at once (no pun intended)
PM me the Write-up when you’re done and I’ll add it to the thread.

The Write-ups should all follow this general format:

Write up Format

Spoiler

?-? is the matchup in Juri’s favor or not

-general info about how the MU goes-

-Countering certain stuff-

-how the MU should be approached-

-final notes/pieces of advice-

Most Useful Tools:
eg: Vs Hawk: HK fireball s.MK and s.HK are extremely useful

Tools to stay away from:
eg: Vs Adon never counter unless you like getting armor-break’d

In-Progress:
Yang
Ibuki
Oni
Evil Ryu
Poison
Rolento
Hugo
Decapre
Elena

Quick links:
vs. Abel, Adon, Akuma, Balrog (Boxer), Blanka
vs. C. Viper, Cammy, Chun Li, Cody, Dan
vs. DeeJay, Dhalsim, Dudley, E. Honda, El Fuerte
vs. Fei Long, Gen, Gouken, Guile, Guy
vs. Hakan, Ibuki, Juri (mirror), Ken, M. Bison (Dictator)
vs. Makoto, Rose, Rufus, Ryu, Sagat
vs. Sakura, Seth, T. Hawk, Vega (Claw), Zangief, Yang, Yun

Abel

matchup

Spoiler

Match up Stat: PRETTY EVEN

general flow of the matchup-

eh, your really gonna treat abel a lot like geif except abel has alot of ways get pass jur’s zoning without consuming meter ( unlike zangeif ), and pokes are gonna be juri’s best friend in this fight. but overall juri wants to stay away and abel wants to score that knockdown and when he do, juri is gonna be in some trouble =/

how to counter stuff-

alright as long as juri is on her feet she should do well vs abel. from far range zone him out with a mixture of mk and lk fuhajin fireballs. but be warned, if he has meter and you attempt to zone him with fuhajins, he can use ex wheel kick to punish you. but anyway make the abel get reckless so he can start trying to bulldog his way in. from mid screen though you’ll have to be a bit more wary of the situations you might find yourself in. he’ll try to use a variety of methods to get in. for his roll you can easily just grab him out of it. but if you have a lk fuhajin stored, and if he roll just try to punish his 1 frame of recovery by sticking out c.mp during the end of the roll animation. now why use c.mp? because if you know juri frame data ( which you should be studying anyway ) you would know that her c.mp have 6 active frames and that will allow for a higher chance to punish a roll happy abel.

now juri has a lot of ways to punish his wheel kick, like its not even funny. you can beat out all versions of abel wheel kick on reaction with either st.mk, c.hp, c.mp, or even ultra 2 if you got nice reaction. now if you so happen to block wheel kick don’t worry, all versions are heavily punishable if they are poorly spaced. you can get a free ex pin/lk pin off a poorly spaced lk wheel kick which is -8, mk version is -9, hk version is -10. but ex version is -6 which means no version of juri pinwheel can punish it so just tag him with st.lk buffered into ex pinwheel or ex fuhajin.

now i KNOW i don’t need to explain how punishable change of direction is, but i suppose i’ll explain anyway for new juri users. there is 2 different versions of change of direction, the first rekka you should just block high. now if for some dumb reason he wants to do the low attack version of change of direction ( the kick ) you just ex pinwheel that shit before it hits. the the 2nd low and 3rd low cannot combo together so remember that. so if abel decides to do the second rekka of standard change of direction, just know it’s a real blockstring/combo so just block and punish the 2nd rekka if he stop ( -9 ) or punish the 3rd rekka of standard change of direction ( -35 ). and the 2nd low version of change of direction is -5 and the 3rd low version is -44. just remember that only the first rekka of change of direction is safe (-3) no smart abel will want to continue change of direction unless they are desperate. and just to make sure ya’ll know, the standard change of direction has to be blocked high while the low version has to be blocked low. this is common knowledge but some people still don’t know this.

the mixup/knockdown game-

alright so if you face even a decent abel you will have to face the fury of his mixup/knockdown game. so say abel do step kick>ex tornado throw/regular tornado throw, juri can do 2 things to avoid this situation, she can either neutral jump and punish the whiffed grab with nj.j.hk, or just backdash and be safe. now if you know a regular tornado throw is coming after step kick and you have meter feel free to EX pin his ass. now if the abel is smart then he may want to substitute his tornado throw with st.hk to punish your backdash. now if you happen to know he’ll do this just block and bear the storm that will come. and sometimes abel’s just like do step kick>block just to bait out a reversal so watch out for that. oh! and did i mention that if you do ex pinwheel and that if abel do ex tornado throw that he will win? sucks i know, so just be smart about your defense.

juri is on the floor-

damn, this is where you don’t wanna be. like seriously abel has an array of of mixups to tag juri on knockdown. some abel’s may like to do his sweep which is able to cancel to change of direction, roll, or wheel kick. now if he do roll after sweep just grab if you can react to it. and if he cancel sweep into wheel kick, block and punish. and if for some reason abel cancel into change of direction just block and punish. oh! some abel’s may wanna try this little gimmick on you, they’ll do the first rekka of change of direction, delay, then do ex tornado throw. so please watch out for that. plus abel may want to just dash up on you and do st.hk to beat your backdash or even dash up tornado throw. ugh…it’s a hell of a guessing game so just please avoid the floor. you CAN try to use ex pinwheel but damn it’s so ass as an reversal. and if abel even guess right by blocking or doing an ex tornado throw you’ll eat damage PLUS be back in a vortex.

the footsie game-

no need to fear, juri does well vs abel in footsies. his best poke st.lk does beat our c.mp and st.lk but our st.mk will rape it every single time. but don’t get too predictable with st.mk because abel has ways to counter this such as focus then dash in tornado throw or EX change of direction to absorb a hit then rekka you. i know st.mk does hit twice but from an ideal footsie range it won’t hit twice at all. and mix up with st.hk and st.hp for decent range pokes PLUS they are damaging pokes. his step kick also loses to st.mk at max range only though. not sure if abel has any other pokes for footsie wars so maybe the arkayne can fill in.

air to air/anti air game-

simply put, abel’s instant j.hp beats most of juri’s air to air options except j.mk. instant j.mp will always trade for some reason. as for juri AA game versus game vs abel. no problem here, all of juri’s AA’s beat abel’s jump in’s pretty free.

breathless-

just had to list this hear because players in general seem to suffer against this move. first of all breathless has a total of 8 frames of startup. that’s pretty slow for a grab ultra so let’s take a look at how our vindictive vixen can combat this.

first of all if abel does ultra 2 on wakeup hoping he can tag you with this, give him a wakeup call by tk diving it and do lk/ex pinwheel or even ultra 2 if it’s stocked. from far range if he activate for whatever reason just jump back and it’ll miss. now if he is front of you and he just activate it, just simply jump forward and dive over him. abel users have created some gimmicks like to do roll and then activate ultra 2 so look out for this. and besides, a good abel won’t even use ultra 2 over ultra 1 vs juri but you never know…

character specific stuff-

thanks to abel’s large hitbox juri can do st.lp to him on crouch. so she can do cr.lk>st.lp>cr.hp xx hk pin/ex pin for some good damage. plus instant j.mp, fuzzy guard j.mp, fuzzy guard j.hp, and jump in j.hp xx lk dive to ultra works on abel so have fun.

Final Notes:

• Ultra 2 completely punishes Abel’s wheel kicks. Wheel kick can beat out Ultra 2 if Ultra 2 is done at the very beginning of it’s start up. EX Pinwheel can beat it too but if it’s done late, it will trade.

-For his wheel kick, they’re punishable on block if spaced wrong. At worst they are -10 or more on block, except EX is -6. If he spaces them so that the tip hits you they are safe though, like roses drills. So you can block&punish those, or you can just psychic ex pinwheel them if you’re feeling beast enough :stuck_out_tongue: I saw him throw several unsafe ones, I think.

-Far st.mk, cr.mp and cr.hp stuff Wheel Kick. Cr.mk can go underneath it. Generally, Abel wants to score a knockdown so he create his mix-up game. Since Juri has poor defensive options, escaping can be very tough. Abel has a variety of options, like overhead, empty jump throw/command throw etc, cross-up and various other stuff. All of which can lead to big damage and another knockdown.

-To make things easier, Hotaru and Deice’s tech option, using standing tech with close st.mk, can be helpful as close st.mk is considered an airborne move, making it throw invulnerable and useful against Abel’s throw mix-ups. You can also cancel close st.mk into a special, like Fuhajin Kick. The weakness of this is that you can’t block low when performing the tech since close st.mk is a standing normal, so you must commit to it. You may also use instant Dive Kick to escape throw mix-ups too, which has the extra benefit of putting them into a juggle state, allowing you to connect Senpusha(light and EX version only) or even Ultra 2 afterwards.

-At range, Juri’s pokes like far st.mk, far st.light kick, cr.mk and far st.mp are all good because they can keep Abel at bay, making it harder for him to force his way in using f.mk. Abel’s pokes aren’t sufficient enough against Juri and I believe she can easily beat him on the ground. Fireballs can be helpful at times, but it’s probably best to use them sparing, and only store from safe distances, since Abel has good ways to avoid fireballs. He could probably punish unsafe fireballs with Ultra 1, but if you throw them from a good distance, he shouldn’t be able to do that, plus Juri recovers pretty quickly from her fireballs too.

-OSing your jump-ins with throws is good if he likes to Roll. I’m not sure if Abel could punish safe-jumps with Tornado Throw though, but you don’t have to safe-jump him much anyway I guess. Abel can also be fuzzied. In the corner, Abel is limited and Juri’s pressure options increase, so getting him in the corner is something to go for. Her neutral throw is great for this.

-Abel hasn’t got great answers for Juri’s air normals, though I’m not certain about his Falling Sky, since it’s better than it was before. His cr.hp shouldn’t be much of an issue, Juri’s j.hp and other air normals should make it difficult for him to AA her.

-try to beat Abel on the ground first, keeping him away with mostly pokes, but when the opportunity arises, like during a knockdown, or a pressure string, mount Juri’s offence and don’t let up.

Thanks to: D_Dollars, Ryuga, Deice, Kona

Adon

matchup

Spoiler

Match up Stat: JURI MAKES YOU LOOK BAD

Dealing with Adon’s pressure: Maybe it’s just me, but Adon has a weird jump that I sometimes can’t figure out. He has many mix-up options that begin with a crossed up J.Lk. Deal with the blockstring accordingly and punish if he does something stupid. (i.e. ending a block string with a DP.) Using counters against adon is a gamble, Jaguar Kick crushes armor, Jaguar Tooth also crushes armor. His best poke hits twice. If Adon is in mid range you can poke at him with St. Mk and sometimes St. Hp if he gets a little too close. I’ve noticed that you can land at least one St. HP just because it has a weird animation and many players don’t see it coming. It’s also a bit faster than her St. Hk because of her twisting animation.

Using Fireballs: I would suggest that you only charge a fireball when you are at full screen or when you’ve done a hard knock down. And I would suggest only charging ONE fireball during that knockdown, remember, Adon gets up faster than everybody else so you will probably eat a DP because your leg will not have retracted from the air. If you’ve got him cornered a good combo is to start a blockstring with whatever you want and release a low fireball. After you’ve release this fireball you are at a frame advantage, you can Throw (Kara-throw too) after the fireball releases and many players will not tech this the first time because it’s such an awkward combo. Problems with this, a mashed out Rising Jaguar will stop you, but if you’re not obvious about it. Also, ending corner blockstrings (or even combos) with a Fuhajin charge won’t hurt you as I believe the blockstun is the same as the recovery.

Jaguar Tooth: Standing MK beats HK Jaguar Tooth. If you time it late it will trade. If you are too early you will eat a foot. I’ve actually made it a habit to throw out St. MK whenever I see Adon jump off the wall, you cannot be punished for this at all. As far as I know you can do this to the EX version as well, and it is so much easier to punish because you already know he’s going to go full screen after he starts flashing.

Jaguar Kick Shenanigans: My go-to anti-air for jumping Adons is standing MK. It’s quick (like me) and retracts very quickly. The problem with this is that sometimes Adon will switch up on you, doing his JK after the arc of his jump to throw off your timing. Many players develop habits and patterns, so if you can sniff them out you can punish accordingly.
Warning: If you mess up and take a counter hit JK you will be combod afterwards. Other anti-air options are standing HP, crouching HP (Doesn’t trade sometimes.) and Cr mp. If Adon is jumping alot you can punish with a J.Mp -> J.MP -> Close St HP -> super (Or ex pin if you don’t have enough meter.) Watch out for adons Jumping Fierce though. Another good punish is J.MP -> Ultra 2. As far as I know, dive kicking will not beat Jaguar Kick, at best you’ll trade and the damage from a Counter Hit Jaguar Kick isn’t worth it.

Dealing with Rising Jaguar: Remember kids, Adon gets up 1/10th faster than the rest of the cast. Time your jump ins accordingly. That being said, a well placed J.HP will stop Adon from waking with a rising jaguar. I do believe that his EX version has invincibility during start up so at worst you’ll whiff and he’s burned a part of his meter. If the J.HP lands and the Adon is pressing buttons, he will inadvertently wake tech and might not be blocking properly, I would follow up with any combo that begins with Cr.Lk as it is your fastest attack and combos into anything you have. I like to do Cr.Lk -> Lk Senpu --> Kara throw. (It doesn’t always work, but in alot of cases it will put your opponent into the corner. If the Adon is mashing Rising Jaguar then you will get hit by this if you go with my LK. Senpu to Throw Gimmick) Then you can start with ambiguous cross ups, or whatever mix-ups you want.

Thanks to: iQuick

Akuma

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: CHALLENGING BUT DOABLE

In terms of closing the gap, you can dash under air fireballs or dive kick over them(distance dependant) or use her counter. Ground fireballs, it’s something you have to be looking for to be able to react to and punish with a dive kick but if you don’t want to take the chance, use the counter that sends her upwards.

OS Senpusha(Fierce) punishes teleport. Can dash under cross-up Tatsu on wake-up, but don’t always rely on this. Against full screen Demon Flips, jumping roundhouse them. Crouch blocking his double roundhouse kick is a good idea because the second part will usually miss for a free punish for Juri.

Dealing with Akuma’s mix-ups(“vortex”) on wake-up is awkward, there’s no guaranteed way to escape. Best to try and block 80% of the time and mix-up your other options, like EX counter, backdash(or FA backdash), etc. But EX Counter and FA backdash loses to Palm(armor breaker), regular backdash can loses to various option selects and so forth.

J.hp, like against the other shotos, can stuff DP on wake-up. Best to use Ultra 2 in this match-up, since Akuma is hard to pin down generally and has good defensive options against Ultra 1

For Akuma, neutral jump (or forward jump from full screen) a lot and buffer the dive kick motion. When u see that EX come out, PUSH THE BUTTON lolz. Another thing to note about the air fireballs is dun worry about getting hit by them. They do like 30 damage. If he does the air fireball at close range, Sweep him for decent damage, while u only take 30 damage getting hit by the fireball. If he does it mid-range, dash and then sweep, or better combo if u clear the fireball fully. If ur extremely low on health, burn an ex meter to EX pinwheel punish w/o taking damage.

It is rly important to not get discouraged in this match. This match is 6-4 Akuma. It is an uphill battle from the start. If u are fighting a decent Akuma, he probably will toss u around. Just remember his health is extremely low and u can kill him in like 3 combos.

***Thanks to: Ryuga, Wrecklessguy ***

Balrog (Boxer)

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: PRETTY EVEN

The matchup id say is even once you get used to it, im guilty as charged for complaining that Rog is way to good and what not, for the most part thats true because he can zone in quickly and deal large damage really quickly, this match is a test of your personal capability when it comes to reactions, and thats it.

Ultra Selection:

Either, For the most part U1 is good because you have good meaties to use on his wakeup (cr.mk). U2 is also good for catching dash moves on reaction, especially TAPs and Ex Rushs (you can bait these with full screen fireballs) and as well to punish a blocked super, ultra, headbutts and level 4+ TAPs (hard to notice them and headbutts recover fast so you need to recover quick).

Full Screen Tools and Options:

Right at full screen the match will play like this, you want to zone him with fireballs, which will keep his regular dash punchs at bay, just dont misplace a high fireball or you leave him gaps to get in. His tools at fullscreen to get in on you (aside from walking, blocking and jumping properly) are:

TAP: your fireballs are slow enough that it might tag TAP most of the time, if youre still neutral and can react to it, throw out cr.mk, this will go under TAP, hit him and now you can special cancel into pinwheel or fireball.

EX Rush Punchs: The most reliable way to beat these id say are the 2 hit far st.mk (placed well) and the ex lk fireball. During fireball zoning its possible more often than not to throw a Ex fireball to stop this. If you already threw a normal fireball while hes making his way towards you and he absorbs it, try hit him with a Leg Raise fuhajin, now hes on the ground and you have an extra fireball at the ready.

Midscreen Play and Footsies:

Cr.Mk is the best thing you have in play at this range, it goes under:

Dash Straight
TAP
Any Headbutt
Dash Upper

Not only that but it has better range than most of what he has available. Also if you block any dash attacks some Rogs like to Frame Trap them with Ex Headbutt, but ofc your cr.mk goes under it so its completely safe to poke cr.mk even if you think hes trapping you, it still loses to Ex Dash Lows but if you cancel into lk pinwheel you can sometimes at the very least trade with them.

Anti Air

Anti Air of Choice: Cr.Mp

In terms of Anti Air you want to always store a fireball off the Anti Air, then on reset throw out cr.mk xx fireball xx whatever. It should beat any buttons he presses, if he does headbutt, fireball doesnt come out and you get to punish the whiffed headbutt with cr.mp xx ex pinwheel or whatever have you.

Additionally after a deep cr.mp you also have the option of doing dash under and then cr.mk, once again its safe from headbutts and you have nothing to lose since the back charge was lost when you dashed under him.

Your Knockdown Game:

On Knockdown a well placed neutral jump right next to him will make reversal headbutt fly past you and you get a free punish on landing. This tactic loses to non reversal timing and regular anti air cr.hp.

When hes in the corner, use j.mp and j.hp to make both wakeup AA’s whiff, so essentially your safe.

Meaty Cr.mk on Rog’s wakeup still makes Dash Straight, upper and Headbutt whiff but loses to wakeup Ultra, Super, and Ex Dash Lows (but can beat them by cancelling into lk pinwheel) and TAP (you recover before it hits you so cr.mk doesnt make it whiff).

Dealing With his Super:

Its usually a combo ender so there wont be many occasions where you have the luxary of blocking his full super, you can crouch under the “upper” hits if they place any, but its hard to counter it from then on. The super itself is hard to jump away from so its best to crouch block it unless hes trying to chip you out. Also it armour breaks so dont try and focus or counter it.

On block punish with: Cr.mp xx HK/Expinwheel, Cr.HP xx MK super, Ultra 2.

Dealing With his Ultra:

Im refering to U1, because U2 its literally never used. If this isnt used in a combo he has probably tried to chip you out, in these situations you can:

-Use Ultra 2’s invincibility to beat out his Ultra on reaction.
-Mash out Expinwheel on block hoping to god theres a gap somewhere in the string of hits (happens sometimes if done at full range away).
-Jump over it (wont work if he chooses to do Uppers), then punish with hk dive kick or something else if your closer.
-Crouch an upper (if you think hes going to try stop you from jumping out of it) and do cr.lk xx expinwheel/mk pinwheel.
-Use HK Super (Works even if he activated point blank, wont trade).

If you block, punish with:

Cr.mk xx HK pinwheel (200 dmg)
Cr.mk xx Expinwheel (210 dmg)
Cr.mk xx Super (430 dmg)
U2 (looks like it might be too far away at times, but in my testing it has always hit)

Final Notes:
-Depending on his spacing you can stuff his dash straight with far st.lk, or go for cr.mk, which allows you to duck and hit him as he comes to you, including his ex dash straight. To break ex I’ve had some success with far st.mk which is not guaranteed, for something guaranteed it’s either throw or EX Fuhajin which hits twice. You cannot rely on pinwheel for EX since dash straight takes the first hit and hits juri in the back, even for EX senpusha. If he spams cr. jab it can be stuffed free with cr.mk and cr.hk

-Balrog is subject to constant crossups, just keep mixing him up…until he learns to jump away and fierce. Watch out for that! But bullying him seems like a good idea. Try to frame trap him with low shorts, be very careful about fireball usage since any EX Dash punch will eat you alive. Pinwheel on reaction to Dash Swing Blow seems to be viable. Low Forward is a good move for this match up. Stay on the move but be careful. If you get a chance to mess with his charge, do it, but do it safely. Headbutt seems to be easily blocked when jumping in with j.lk. Basically don’t get locked into Balrog’s pressure game. His Jab will rape you on mixup and up close. Backdash off focus attack attempts

Thanks to: Metallicmike, thegame4ever, Ghrrk

Blanka

matchup

Spoiler

Dash LK Senpusha to punish balls

cr.mp also beats out Blankas ball, though not the EX one of course.

Hori Ball (ALL balls, unless noted) will get beat clean by:
Fuhajin Leg Raise (non-EX)
Fuhajin Release (non-EX)
S.LP
S.LK
S.MP (early or will trade in his favor)
S.MK
S.HK (early or will stuff or trade in her favor)
Cr.LP
Cr.LK
Cr.MP
Cr.HP

Rainbow Roll (I tested with EX only) will get beat clean by:
Cr.HP
Cr.MP
J.HK
J.Faps (timing and spacing is tight)
J.MP (spacing is less tight than J.Faps)

Slide will get beat clean by:
Fuhajin Leg Raise
Fuhajin LK Release
EX Fuhajin (LK+MK)
Cr.LK (psychic)
Cr.MK (psychic)

Blanka is no problem for me. You have to be tight to win this match. You have to be ahead of them. Most blanka are so content in playing games with you. Once you shut them down they don’t know what to do.

Late Crouch teching murders blanka. I haven’t met a frame trapping blanka yet. Maybe they don’t have anything good to frame trap (I’d assume that double knee would be). Up close just be patient, watch for ticks.

Far away, he’s gonna gimmick you. Watch his rolls. Know the distances. If hea far after a roll, slide or jump in. Anything, focus attack… Anything other than slide dash out. If jump, dash under. If walk up throw, dash back.

If he rainbows, absorb the hit, and dash out. Don’t be tempted go hit the focus attack not worth the risk. Dash out and ultra him.

If he’s spamming balls, start storing fireballs. Throw them at will. Keep em back. If he ex balls, dash forward and lk sempusha. Time this right and punish him everytime. If you time this right he cannot block. He’ll probably try this again a few more Times go be sure. Punish everytime. No more balls. If you time this wrong they might try to ultra you. Careful.

If you block slide, punish hard. Ex pin all day

Thanks to: Kailkun, bmckay, Shogun Flow

** C. Viper**

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: JURI MAKES YOU LOOK BAD

[media=youtube]Wvf0ho8IzJA[/media]

This should be a relatively easy matchup. Stay far and zone her.
Exploit her weakness vs air attacks. She can’t do much from far away.
You can absorb her seismic hammers and flame kicks with kasatushi.
You can avoid her wake up reversals with cr.mk.
FSE should be the ultra of choice here.

-Stay far and zone her, or rush her down like crazy.

-She can’t do much from far away unless she super jumps. You can absorb her seismic hammers and flame kicks with FADC or kasatushi.

-You can punish a flame kick on reaction with Ultra 2, cr.mp, forward jump hp/mp, or senpusha.

-Exploit her weakness vs air attacks. She doesn’t have reliable anti-airs.

-You can avoid and even stuff her wake up reversal with cr.mk.

-Sekku can counter hit or even jump over Viper’s Thunder Knuckle (LP version).

-Viper’s overhead and cross-up flame kick whiffs if you cr.mk.

-From up close Viper can be deadly. She has powerful frame traps and mixups. So backdash whenever you feel too much pressure. Or try an ex senpusha to punish if opponent presses a lot of buttons.

Ultra of choice: FSE because of Viper’s weak wake up options.

-option selecting. It really destroys her. throw that in there from time to time and you’ll stop viper from reversalling bringing in the chance to corner her and do it all over again.

Ultimately take what you saw this this video above, and try it for yourself in real situations. (ex. c.hp xx feint > overhead, or or Ex Hammer xx SJC xx Burn kick). Find at what distances you can use things, or what strength attacks you can use.

Thanks to: Vulcan Hades, Kailkun

Cammy

matchup

Spoiler

Why?

1. Cammy somewhat suffers against zoning, but she gains tools with meter and ultra to counter it. Juri suffers from rushdown, and while she has ways to run away from pressure, they can be futile against Cammy’s throw game.
  2. No character in the game matches Cammy’s damage and stun potential dealt in a single combo midscreen. Juri cannot extend damage and comboability without holding lk fuhajin (and therefore giving up teching throws for the time being).
  3. Juri and Cammy are both pixie-sized, but both are extra vulnerable to character-specific combos.

General info

• Don’t make it a habit to constantly tech throws with each of Cammy’s ticks. It’s easy for Cammy to find opportunities for counter hits (which lead to big combos) or delay her throw.
  • You can’t mix Cammy up into blocking incorrectly for long before she decides to retaliate. Use u2 to catch up on damage and punish her blocked specials.

Counters

• blocked spiral arrows: Hit-confirm any quick normal into a big combo, or u2
  • regular cannon strikes: cr.lp/lk/hp teching up close, reaction j.mp into followups (only if predicted correctly. don’t trade in the air).
  • ex cannon strikes: Most often these will be from high in the air. Focus crumple into a combo.
  • blocked dp: At the very least, dash up sweep. If Cammy ends up behind you, it’s easier to hit confirm into a combo. You can also connect u2 several ways.

How the matchup should be approached

• Use cr.lp+lk+hp in case Cammy tries another cannon strike, to punish the attempt or trade in your favor.
  • Don’t fight Cammy. Let her fight you. It’s very difficult to safe jump/crossup/mixup Cammy, and she is always the one that has to try and get in for damage in any matchup. Don’t give her any chances. As soon as you start getting mixed up and taking damage, you may not come back.

Final notes/pieces of advice

• Get the fear of dive kicks out of your head (it’s not quite the same but Juri has one too). Don’t be scared of throws, either. Cammy has the shortest throw range in the game, so she has to make it up by walking up and distracting you with ticks. Juri does have a huge vulnerability against throws, but if you become confident with your defense, this shouldn’t be a setback. Go put on Dhalsim’s shoes. Work hard, be solid with your defense, and get wins.
    -juri does not have an answer to cammy’s ST.HK. that poke will flat out beat all of juri’s pokes. and delayed TK CS fucks up cr.lk+lp+HP/mp teching.

Most useful tools

• cr.lp+lk+hp teching (use sparingly, can still lose to dp/delayed throws)
  • Lameness, defense and runaway

Tools to stay away from

• Preemptive normal anti-airs. Get ready to be cannon strike’d.
  • Fear of high tier/dive kick characters.

Final notes:
Definitely not one you’d want to play up close since her options at that range > Juri’s options.

-Cannon Spike is definitely something to be feared, beats out dive kicks and most (if not all) j.hp attempts. You also don’t want to stay too far since that makes her stuff safer. There’s a good mid range distance where it becomes a bit easier to manage Cammy. Around slightly inside fireball range where if she makes a mistake, you can punish her with a well spaced Senpusha or cr. HP (does wonders against careless spin knuckles).

***Thanks to: DJ Divine, D_Dollars, D3v ***

Chun Li

matchup

Spoiler

df.lk from chun li beats ALL dive kicks clean and puts them up for a full ultra 2. and ultra2 also beats it clean

It seems this may be one of Juri’s only matchups where meter is important. I was having some success using an EX low fireball to avoid her pokes/kikoken following nonsense. You’re gonna trade, but the trade is in your favor. The reason I say to use EX low rather than EX mid is if they charge a focus when following their kikoen, you just wasted your EX bar.

Jumping towards her is generally a bad idea. DF+LK will beat out almost all jumps in, or trade. If it trades she gets free EX legs to ultra if she has it. That being said, if Chun gets antsy about using DF+lk, change your jump in timing via dive kicks, and you’ll have some success beating it out.

Cr.mk is a pretty good poke, I was having some success hitting him out of st.mk with it. Sweep is also a good option here as it’ll go under all her standing pokes.

Another thing to note is to never try to cancel out her fireballs with the fuhajin startup kick. It’ll dissipate the fireball but then she’ll just get a free poke/combo after it.

If you can push her into a corner, you can really wreck her there.

Thanks to: Zujira, DarthTrey

Cody

matchup

Spoiler

Against Cody, all of his Criminal Uppers are unsafe on block. I was getting free sweeps/low forward xx whatever on his recovery all day. Be very careful for Zonk Knuckle (esp. EX), it seems beastly. Ruffian kick spaced incorrectly is punishable.

It seems Cody has a hard time keeping her off of him if she can apply the correct pressure. His Bad Stone seems to lose to her Fuhajin 9/10 times, since she can absorb the first one, and since he has a bit of a delay on his, if she releases a low one right away, she has more then enough time to block. She can jump over/Dive Kick over Criminal Upper with little problem. EX Pinwheel beats Criminal Upper for free. She’s better at air-to-air then he is, though he probably won’t be in the air much.

-EX Zonk Knuckle can be safe-jumped, could probably be OS’d too, need to do more testing

Thanks to: Ryuga, B-Rad, Ghrrrk

Dan

matchup

Spoiler

When he has Ultra, that’s it for your dive kicks. You can risk using them, but both Ultras beat the kick cleanly on reaction, and U1 can even punish it on block. The real key is getting him to jump at you, because that removes a number of his options. However, be wary that his Knee beats the dive kick cleanly if done early, but Juri’s normals all come out faster than the knee, and her cr.HP beats the air knee clean both in the air and on the ground.

Thanks to: King Zeal

DeeJay

matchup

Spoiler

• Bait Maxouts and safe jump them or your going
    to eat a cr.RH or in some instances EX dread kicks (Up Kicks?)

• Juri can focus the first hit of EX maxout and dash under the second kinda hard to do.

• Be careful about counter dashing the maxouts. Because If I recall correctly the recovery on maxouts is pretty good just pay attention to whats going on.

Just don’t let Dee Jay zone you and everything could potentially go in your favor. Just be patient and adapt accordingly. Make sure you don’t fall prey to deejay cross-up bait. If you see deejay start to go for cross-ups, block the cross-up and the string and just be ready for an throw tech at a moments notice. Other options are to counter the cross-up , I believe Juri can also dash away from the cross-up.

j.Faps in the right angle stuffs EX upkicks or makes them whiff, and c.RH can be beat by Dives and j.Faps as long as you aim for his head and avoid his stupid held up foot.

Thanks to: Eternal Blaze, TheArkayne

Dhalsim

matchup

Spoiler

i like to break down the dhalsim matchup into 4 positions in the screen:

1. in dhalsims face:
    this is where you want to be at all times. when in this range the only thing you have to worry about is a sudden super in between your pokes. otherwise the match is yours. you need to bare in mind that dhalsim has the fastest jump in the game (3 frame jump) so you need to make your block strings and frame traps a little tighter. and keep the pressure on and never leave his side. apart from back LK theres nothing he can really do if u stayed in his face. his slides are highly punishable and his teleport wouldnt be safe. if you maintain the pressure you’ll eventually get him in the corner … thats whan you NEVER … EVER jump because thats his ticket away. if they try to throw an ultra 1 simply punish by throw. you can bait the slides though by doing a deep neutral jump HK… but make sure you follow up with a knock down again and push them back in the corner. as much as i dont like juri’s FSE, i think its the better choice for this matchup because of dhalsims weakness in close range.

2. dhalsims poke range (mid to 3/4 of the screen):
    this is dhalsims sweet spot and where he is most dominant. shooting out too many fireballs at this range isnt the best thing to do because dhalsims limbs will always trade damage in his favor. in this range you also need to keep on the look out for yoga snipers (dhalsims instant jump HP). there are a few things that can be done at this range. yoga fires can be punished on reaction by jump HK divekick (then your in). dont try if you act leat to an EX yogafire as dhalsims do those for bait because they recover from them pretty fast. you need to keep some EX meter with u at that range cuz EX counter while holding forward would get your in as well. also fuhajin raise punishes limbs from far away. its better to try and block high most of the time at that range as his lows either wont reach or they just wont be as much of a threat. dont go too crazy in this range as this is where dhasim can hurt you the most.

3. max range (full screen out of dhalsims pokes):
    this range frustrates a dhalsim as he cant deal damage on you and he would have to resort to a few other tactics. one good thing about this range is that you can sweep his whiffed st.HP on reaction. which gives him a full screen untechable knockdown allowing you to jump in with a divekick to close the gap again. i would recommend staying in this range if you have the health lead as it would frustrate the hell out of the dhalsim and might make him even do some teleport attempts just to get in. you need to be ready for those at all times… only do a fuhajin raise when he sticks something out , only release if he flinches … the reason behind this is that you dont want him to teleport on you when you’re in recovery cuz he can hurt you bad. i saw you did cl.HP to punish teleports a couple of times, great poke but you need to always try and buffer in the followup LK or EX pinwheel or even an EX fuhajin for max damage and push back. another great punish to his back teleport is to do ultra 2 on reaction … nice and clean damage without scaling.

4. air to air:
    dhalsim has an edge in this one as he can pretty mush shoot you down from the sky with his j.HK or j.MP. also his drills , yoga mummy and his jb.HP beat out juris air attacks 90% of the time. however its not totally helpless for juri, instant jump attacks (regardless of the poke) tend to beat out dhalsims limbs so i would recommend that especially if you both jumped at the same time … ofcourse this is a double edge sword cuz if it whiffed he can mess you up with a poke of his on reaction. the other thing is, dont try to divekick unless you are higher than him in the air, and dhalsim jumps pretty damn high so be careful. divekicks tend to trade with extended limbs sometimes, but if they close the gap then hey go for it ! lol

i think thats prettymuch the juri-dhalsim matchup in a nutshell

Also, here is a video by TheArkayne that shows some ways to punish Sim:

[media=youtube]cb6kRDEGsjQ[/media]

Thanks to: EMPEROR_COW, TheArkayne

Dudley

matchup

Spoiler

I discovered LK fireball can hit him in the back of his duckings and I think it works like that for backswings also. So if you charge a light fireball and see him start a ducking/Backswing you let it go and it will hit him behind. Dont do it before he does ducking cause thats when he will be able to get past it. It seemed like you could also just do it on reaction.
I usually have a LK and FK fireball charged , For the instance where dudley decides to jump. I FK him fireball everytime or cr.Faps him. I use LK when he tries to duck. Basically in this match-up I see keep away as the option here.
She has lots of way to get away from Dudley even if he does manage to cover ground on you. Also J.Faps , and J.mk was like kyrptonite VS Dudley in most instances. Coming from a 3S background where dudley lost to Short Forwards it seems like thats still the same case in SSF4. So for Example Cr.mk-> Pinwheel Its the Momentum stopper. Pinwheel also seems to be really good in this matchup.
For the simple it seemed like I could pinwheel ducking and backswing on reaction for the most part. Just dont get too hungry with doing stuff Ducking into Super/Ultra WILL and can kill Juri for charging fireballs and doing random pinwheels. So Place your stuff well or your in trouble.

When starting off midscreen, I want him to keep away from me as long as possible.
I then wait for him to whiff ducks so I can then punish with cr. mk to hk pinwheel. From there, I want to push him into the corner then continue added pressure. This is where Juri truly shines. Once you get him in the corner, proceed to mixup with whatever you see fit. Don’t let him poke first or it will be back to square one. Dudley can pressure you from anywhere on the screen as long as he gets in.
Punish jump ins with cr. hp or cr. mp. Hit confirming is going to be your best friend in this matchup. Once he gets you with his incredibly silly block strings, that’s when he’s at an advantage and can continue to pressure. Try not to get too predictable with fireballs because he can duck right through them. His jumping hp will beat most of Juri’s air to airs clean (especially jumping mp). Overall, this is an incredibly annoying matchup but can be won with patience.

***Thanks to: TheArkayne, Kona ***

E. Honda

matchup

Spoiler

Match up Stat: PRETTY FUCKED UP

Heres some good reference material, courtesy of one of the godlike Juri players, Neo: [media=youtube]YYF0Ur1ygwU[/media]

Right ive been seen some bad matchup theory in this thread so i decided to train this matchup out abit and ive got to say its gotten a tad bit better, so first of all you need the fundamentals of his game play, the cold hard facts of what your options are:

Facts:

-U2 is your go to ultra in this match, for real, dont even argue otherwise.

-Only MK fireballs stuff headbutt, yes even the EX version, theres no invincibility on hondas ex headbutt when its flying across the screen.

-The full pinwheel combo works on him point blank, that is: normal > lkfireball > cr.mk > hk/ex pinwheel.

-Fuzzy guard setups DO NOT work on him.

-cr.mp anti air trades with some of his jump ins, use cr.hp as much as possible if not all the time for his jump ins and remember to cancel into mk/lk fireball store seeing as mk fireballs stuff headbutts they might be the one of choice in this case.

-Headbutts are safe on block, except HK headbutt which you can punish with lk pinwheel for 40 damage(LOL!). M/H/EX Headbutts can be punished with your MK Super for 240 damage if the situation arrises but you have to make the input fast.

-He CAN be safe jumped but no OS exists to take advantage of this, unless anyone wishs to prove me wrong, so basically he CAN be safe jumped, i just dont really know what kind of use that would be for, seeing as any decent player would wakeup headbutt to create distance and deal chip.

-Neutral Jumping (especially on a Hard Knock Down) right next to him at peak height will cause him to whiff wakeup Sumo Slams having them go right past you or push you along with them, they do occasionaly land sometimes but its often worth the risk compared to a regular jump in to apply some offensive pressure, if a sumo slam whiffs punish according to how far away from you he is.

-If they are trigger happy with headbutts, go full screen when you have your ultra, crouch buffer down and diagonal toward fast but remain crouching so it looks like your blocking, if they let a headbutt rip finish one full quarter circle and hit those three buttons baby and Ultra 2 should connect, even on his Ultra 1 and Ex Headbutt (doing this to ex headbutt is actually preffered because you know his headbutt will go full screen, while as light headbutts might bait you to do your ultra and whiff it)

-Block or Jump over(can do this on startup even at pointblank range) his super, its got invincibility so dont try to hit him out of it, the only punish i could find on block for this was using your own mk super.

The Obvious Stuff
Sumo Slams are overheads, block high and make sure hes not crossing you up with it, they have good block advantage, if you block dont try to punish, just create space, if they whiff punish with cr.mk/mp pinwheel or something like that. Headbutts arent at all invincible, you can actually jab even the Ex version out on reaction, practise this if you want because its a good way to create frustration in the player, remember its a bad matchup so you need a good psychological advantage. Headbutts armour break, DONT COUNTER OR FOCUS ATTACK FULL SCREEN. Hondas BnB H.Hundred Hands into standing Roundhouse isnt a safe blockstring, if you block the HP.Hands it might be worth starting a focus attack, if he throws a standing roundhouse, absorb, dash forward and grab, if he uses headbutt tough shit, if he comes towards you let the focus attack rip or backdash out, its your call.

Ultra 1 Situational Solutions

-U2 Beats out U1 even at point blank range.

-Pinwheels (all of them) trade with U1, Ex-Pinwheel beats out U1 but not for full damage (Expinwheel trades at point blank though).

-MK fireball still beats it out, do ex version for good measure.

-NJ HK beats him out of it too, but you cannot combo off this, puts him in a reset because he is airborn.

-use divekick to escape if u think its possible but by all means, DONT DIVEKICK DONT DIVEKICK DONT DIVEKICK DONT DIVEKICK he beats this shit out hard.

-If you block and take the chip you can punish with cr.hp > ex/high pinwheel or punish with ultra 2, but be fast.

Your Overall Strategy:

Start by fireball abusing, aslong as you keep mk fireballs out he cant chip you with full screen headbutts, forcing him to start jumping to get in, you need to react and read these, its still a match, player dependant and all the rest, all ive given you is available options. Use fireball stores after anti airs and throw them out for extra chip or keep them for combos and go on the offensive, once again read your opponents play style and adapt, offence is at your disadvantage in this match but if you deem it necessary then do it. The player is still human and they still make mistakes bad matchup or not, keep your mixup inconsistent, keep your opponent guessing, get ready to jump back hk any headbutts you think are coming from point blank range, you need to read your opponent, work hard its a terrible matchup. The keepaway game is still mad safe, at least until he gets in so you will want to play this like this to start with, unfortunately if he starts the game with a headbutt your already disadvantaged because hes closed the gap, so feel it out, break it down, figure it out, dont get blown up, dont be free.

Thanks to: MetallicMike, WeirdNeo :stuck_out_tongue:

El Fuerte

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup stat: NUMBERS NEED NOT APPLY

Why?

1. Player vs player. If you can’t deal with Elf, you will never win. If you learn to deal with him, you need to adapt to the player.
  2. With that said, Juri is weak against throws on wakeup. However, with some precaution and precise reading, you can get away from Elf’s wakeup pressure in more ways than one.
  3. Elf is just as bad on wakeup if not worse. You can bully him once you get him knocked down. If you look at it this way, it’s pretty even. Just gotta know specific ways as to how.

General info

• Use fuhajin sparingly, since Elf’s speed-of-sound wall bounce can reach you while you charge. But preemptive releases can keep spazzing Elf’s in check.
  • You’ll want to rush Elf down and be cautious enough not to be countered by him going into knockdown and being pressured. Since you need to stay on him as you keep knocking HIM down, use u1.
  • Don’t be predictable with your wakeup moves. It only takes a very little steering on Elf’s end to make a tostada splash a non-crossup instead of a crossup, etc. A little randomness on top of being fully aware of his options would help.

Counter

• Blocked splash: Sweep or cr.mk xx hk pinwheel if you can reach.
  • ex guac on wakeup to get away: Far st.mp will connect if he ends up behind you and you turn around in time. If you have u1 activated and Elf does this, connect more normals into a combo from there.
  • Crossup splash on Juri’s wakeup: lk pinwheel (gets away), or forward dash and try to sweep. lp/mp/hp counter all work against splashes, but splashes and Fajita Buster (throws standing opponents) look the same, so be wary.
  • Elf runs backwards on Juri’s wakeup: If they run backwards far enough, they’re often going for a tortilla propeller throw. Jump away. If they run very little and stop, often they’ll go for a meaty slide. Block and be ready to tech a throw, or ex pinwheel if the slide is mistimed. ex counter can work as well. If they have u1, be careful with jumping back or using counter.
  • Slides: Overheads go over slides if done at the right time. It can PUNISH slides if you do it late & safe enough.
  • u2: Pray to God you’re not pushing a button or touching Elf’s hitbox, and jump away. You can bait this with meaty overheads that will go completely over him when timed correctly.

• When Elf has meter, he gains ex run and ex guac as wakeup options. ex run on wakeup can be beaten by meaty throw, and ex guac can be punished by bait and far st.mp as you turn around. If they’re dumb enough to use regular guac on wakeup, you shouldn’t be losing.
  • Switch up your approach as you see fit. For example, you can fight him air-to-air by using j.mp, but if they become airthrow-happy (beats j.mp), you might not want to jump anymore.
  • Forward throwing Elf into corner is very important, as you gain more opportunities to pressure and land j.mp more often against wall jump escape attempts. This is where you can win.

• Meaty overhead is pretty free against Elf without meter.
  • Same as most characters, but especially since Elf doesn’t have good wakeup options (all very predictable), cover all those bases.
  • Know exactly what Elf is capable of, off of running forward and running backward. You can wake up and make a quick decision based on that. TRYING TO BLOCK IS ALSO AN OPTION.
    -once elf gets ultra 2 that most juri’s should not attempt to really pressure him on wake with safe jumps, etc. because elf ultra 2 is 3 frame start up and that shit will own juri very hard if he lands it. instead they should really try to bait with meaty fuhajins.
    -Since ElF can put on some good pressure, Juri has a hard time getting him off. EX Pinwheel can help get him off of most situations, and on wakeup it can stuff a few of his run-and-hit options, though not the run-and-grabs.
    -Don’t become predictable with Dive Kicks, since he can bounce around so much and punish in some fashion.
    -Fireballs will keep him grounded (generally), though his EX Run will get him out often. Counter works well to disrupt his jumping around, but pay close attention to his run prior, since he can grab you out instead.
    -Crossup is hard since his DP Kick can get him away. Can stun Juri easily if proper pressure is applied, so don’t be careless

Most useful tools

• Meaty overhead
  • Far st.mp against ex guac on landing

***Thanks to: DJ Divine, D_Dollars, B-Rad ***

Fei Long

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: BEYOND FUCKED UP

[media=youtube]FY605oayEi8[/media]

This one’s tough to deal with. You don’t wanna stay close to this guy. Also, never try to Focus Absorb from too close. Fei Long is too fast!

-use kasatushi instead of FA to get out of his rekka traps.

-Use fuhajins to zone Fei Long, build meter and bait his Chicken Wings.

-Try to bait his flame kicks when he’s down. Use option selects.

-Abuse Sekku and far st.hk around sweep range to hop over his crouching fierce.

-Fei’s overhead can be countered with cr.mp or avoided with cr.mk

-You can punish Chicken Wing on reaction with Ultra 2.

Ultra of choice: You can go with either. FSE could bait Fei’s ultra 2 and his flame kicks. Ultra 2 is guaranteed and can severly punish a baited Flame Kick or Chicken Wing.

This match up you have to address more sophisticatedly. Yes, you can Kasatushi rekka. Yes, you can FA rekka. But why not address the problem with rekka…you dont have to leave a gap in between, you’re blocking and rekka comes out fast you can frame trap yourself. Just block it and get ready.

Chicken Wing a problem. Its so odd. Some punishes work sometimes, other times it doesnt. Example…Fei can Ex Chicken Wing and NOT get hit by Ultra 2. Why? Because shes really low to the ground and he flys RIGHT over her. Sometimes his hit box destroys hers when trying to c.mp because her vulerability box is behind her and chicken wing crosses up. And this doesn’t show the problem that we have when chicken wing is used as a reversal.

feilong overhead punish: (-4 on block)
block, cl.LK, MK or EX senpusha (2 frame window)
block, cl.LP cr.LP, LK fuhajin, FADC, combo (FA and followup whiff) (1 frame window)

[media=youtube]Oav4SlJuFkU[/media]

1st scenario: Fei Long goes for consecutive rekkas.

2nd scenario: Rekka into Chicken Wing reversal (ex and non ex versions).

Things I learned:

Focus Attack:

-Level 1 Focus Attack and backdash AFTER you hit. If Fei goes for a second Rekka, your FA will crumple him (counter hit).
-Never backdash before you actually release your FA. Unless you are absorbing a Chicken Wing.

LP Kasatushi:

-This version puts you behind Fei but much closer to him. From this distance, HK/EX CW whiffs if you stay crouched. Only LK and MK versions of Chicken Wing can hit you while you are crouched.
-Because you are closer, you have less time to react to his CW. Also the chances of trading are greater.
-Because you are closer, Fei Long has less time reacting to you! :slight_smile: So this could actually be good to bait flame kicks and stuff.

MP Kasatushi:

-You get hit by the third Rekka if you use this on the second Rekka.
-You are perfectly safe if you use it on the very first or last Rekka, no matter the spacing when you performed the kasatushi. You are still able to block and even counter the other Rekkas.
-Fei has a bit of recovery after he whiffs a Rekka so he can’t immediately jump into Chicken Wing. So you have a lot of time to react to it.

All in all, CR.MP, far ST.MK and CR.MK turned out to be the safer options to both scenarios (whether Fei goes for CW or another Rekka, these normals can beat both).

CR.HP and far ST.HP work best on CW for obvious reasons. Far ST.HK is too slow so I recommend only using it after a MP Kasatushi.

vs Chicken Wing, NJ.HK is pretty good but you pretty much have to anticipate it.

For CW punishment on reaction:

1. (backdash if too close) EX pinwheel
  2. forward J.MP xx your juggle of choice
  3. backward J.MP (when Fei just landed so late jump) xx LK Dive Kick xx Ultra 2/pinwheel
  4. Backdash xx Ultra 2 (max damage)*
  5. LK pinwheel xx FADC xx Ultra 2
  6. Backward J.MP, forward J.MP, close ST.HP xx Super (only works when you are near the corner, you need to hit Fei dead center, land early and jump up again)
  7. Backward J.MP, EX dive kick xx Ultra 2 (alternate version of the one above)

Those were the best damage wise.

*Ultra 2 whiffs completely if you don’t backdash first or LK Senpusha FADC. EX/HK/MK Chicken Wing crosses over and Fei ends up behind you.

Should be noted that once you’ve absorbed or countered a rekka/CW with focus attack/kasatushi, the next move Fei Long does is probably going to be a reversal. So in other words, doing 2 kasatushis in a row or kasatushi into FA aint smart!

Wake up Setups:

Forward throw in corner > Backdash > Mk fireball store + release > st.mp > Cr.mk

Mk fireball covers normals and his Dps, the st.mp moves you closer and hits him out of CW, the cr.mk starts corner pressure (you need a exfireball though) and combos off of the mk fireball if it hits but the whole setup has to be executed flawlessly.

[media=youtube]ShxU6beJazk[/media]

This is actually the best way to deal with fei long on knock down IMO. Ive used it and its godlike.

only one setup is shown in that, it works with sweep and then ex low fireball, you need to place yourself properly after sweep though, and fast, it would probably be easier to do once we get the walkspeed buff in AE. You can try do the same on regular KDs they dont tech, just try and place yourself properly. Only really works with a lk fireball, mostly because you have to make them think that a CW will work and you run the risk of missing your meaty mk one.

Off a forward throw it isnt worth doing really, its too hard to cover all the CW’s, best going for other regular forward throw setups.

If he doesnt CW or Reveral DP on wakeup though theres not much you can do after, youre at neutral frames with him usually because of the timing that you need to dash forward (you need to do it once hes off the floor as opposed while hes on the floor).

Thanks to: Kailkun, Vulcan Hades, MetallicMike, EMPEROR_COW

Gen

matchup

Spoiler

Gen was one of those characters that gave me trouble in Vanilla 4 just simply because I had trouble shutting down his air/mixup game (I used to use Chun Li, with all her awesomely situational AAs). Here’s some of my observations:

-Taunt Counter is useless in this matchup. However, EX Counter is GREAT for escaping corners on wake up or avoiding crossup situations. Just use it sparingly because every special move Gen has armor breaks. Throwing it out there a lot, even for meter spam, will likely lead to an over head wall kick, armor break, Ultra.

Gen’s air game is completely shut down by Juri. c.MK and c.HK beat almost everything he can throw out off of a jump in cleanly. On the subject of his wall kicks, if he goes to jump off the wall BEHIND Juri, you can fireball kick as he’s traveling past you to the wall and it will knock him out of it however the timing is a little tricky. You can essentially train him with this to NEVER jump behind you because it’s free damage essentially. That leaves him pretty much with the wall behind him as his only aerial approach.

-The wall jumps behind him essentially seem to be an overhead, a lunging kick, and a “fake” where he just falls back from where he jumped from. I’m not a Gen player so correct me if I missed one. From full screen, you can read the overhead kick and intercept it with j.MP for either a combo, reset, or Ultra. From half screen or close distance, you’re best either dashing forward or back to avoid it unless you feel you can jump back and tag him with the j.MP. Wall kick is able to be punished with various pokes after you block it. The fake just becomes a mixup to try to get you to commit to jumping so he can punish it. Just don’t play his head game and wait for him to actually use one of the other kicks instead.

-Playing defensively helps. Fireball spam is incredibly good against him just be careful of over using it because it is possible for him to read a fireball kick and dig in with a wall kick. Essentially you want to make his air game helpless via fireballs, j.MP, and your gdlk anti-air moves. He will be forced to approach from the ground.

-Gen only has from what I saw 3 moves that out range Juri’s pokes: Focus Attack, his Sweep, and I believe it’s his standing MK. Focus Attack has a deceptively large hitbox… it’s actually about one of Gen’s hand lengths longer than the actual animation suggests, which has caused me to lose many mindgame/mixups/Focus wars. Sweep is obviously punishable because …it’s a sweep. All that’s left is the MK to deal with. After I neutralized his air game, it became a war of just FAing and pokes… simply put, if you can read the MK coming, Focus Attack it and you’ll get that crumple for the free ultra.

-Should be obvious but don’t attempt any jump ins or dive kicks when he has Ultra I stocked. He can just easily rip you out of the air. Stick to fireballs and the superior range on most of your normals.

-It’s hard to out camp him if he takes the life lead early. It’s his only real shot at winning the match. Just have to attempt a cross up or frustrate him into approaching. My Juri offense isn’t that great so I’ll update more once I find better approaching tactics.

Gen has some crossup pressure that Juri really can’t deal with outside of just having a strong blocking game and teching his tic throw attempts. Just practice all the ways you can intercept him off the wall and you shouldn’t have too much trouble. Your ground game is superior and he has no way to jump in on you at all outside of a knockdown.

Thanks to: King Zeal, TsuKiyoMe

Gouken

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: EVEN

Why?

1. Juri and Gouken can both deal massive damage to each other as they can both push each other to the corner easily and keep them there – momentum = win.
  2. Juri has quick ways to infiltrate fireball zoning (reactive hk dive kick over fireballs), and Gouken has a good anti-air fireball game (mp/hp hadoken)
  3. Both characters fear knockdowns and wakeup game

General info

• Be careful trying to get in – he can’t win the fireball war just with his straight hadoken (lp) but he can use his mp or hp hadoken to deflect you from getting greedy and jumping or flying in with a hk dive kick (you can do this to Sagat but not Gouken right off the bat).
  • You’ll be fighting air-to-air a lot against Gouken since that’s where you can definitely win. so i recommend u2. Lure him into the air by not trying to approach him at all at first. Test his patience and if he goes for a demon flip trap with a hadoken still onscreen (it’s generally lp fireball), then you can jump at him with hk or mp to win air to air. Beware of air-parry though.
  • If you get sweeped or focus crumpled, big trouble. Juri knocked down is very bad news in all of her matchups but in case of Gouken, if you have close to 50% life you can DIE, anywhere near the corner, or off of backthrow + u1. Especially if you’re sweeped, you should default to blocking the demon flip mixup (you can dash forward under it if you’re still standing, but off of an untechable knockdown i doubt it’ll work). Thankfully he doesn’t have an overhead palm like Akuma but he has the kick, sweep, and throw. If you guess wrong on which side to block on a demon flip kick you will lose anywhere from 20 to 40% of your life. Sweep and throw options let Gouken maintain momentum.

Counters

• Parry: Bait and dive kick/throw.
  • Demon flip: From the ground, if Gouken does this while you’re still standing, walk up slightly and crouch to make demon flip kick whiff, start a hit-confirm combo from cr.lk. From the air, j.mp or j.hk will always win unless he parries. In this case, land and prepare to defend yourself as he gains frame advantage.
  • Blocked palm: cr.lp/cr.lk into combo, or throw (safer option)

• Bait > Actual offense at first. In any knockdown situation, techable or not, it’s important to bait a couple of parries and put the fear in him to never parry again. Once he guesses wrong more than once (he parries and you throw him, he doesn’t parry and you cross him up, etc.) you’ve gained an upper hand, if you haven’t won the round already. Juri can deal heavy damage in the corner, and most Gouken players are content not gaining ground since they can deal huge damage anywhere. they’ll walk themselves to the corner or you can easily push them, as long as you’re still on the offensive.

• Off of a mk/hk pinwheel combo, as long as you’re not at tatsu distance you can try neutral jump (near the corner) or empty jump (midscreen) to see if he parries immediately on wakeup, or parries when you get close to him. Once you see a parry = punish. if they parry immediately and you’re still in the air, ex dive kick + u2 time.
    VERY IMPORTANT! L2BAIT.

• If you ate a fireball or otherwise need to catch up while Gouken is far away, stay patient, since you can hurt him pretty badly once you’ve cornered him and guess correctly on his parry attempts. same principle applies once you get close without getting hurt. Basically, at this point, as long as you don’t get parried and get flown off to full screen distance, pressure him while baiting parries.

• Throw is your friend, but if you do get a forward throw away from the corner, be sure to catch up on distance with a hk dive kick while Gouken is still knocked down.

-Gouken has a number of tools which are dangerous to you. The first are his fireballs. Since he has so many different types, it’s hard to pick the right means to approach. In a nutshell, I recommend taking it one step at a time. If he does an angled fireball, FK instant dive kick to cover distance quick. If he does a normal fireball, LK instant dive kick over it or neutral jump and wait. If he does the EX (with both types), LK instant dive kick.

-When you’re close to Gouken, the thing you’re searching for is a means to achieve a knockdown. Instant dive kick works great if the Gouken is jumpy or you’ve trained them to attack when pressured. If Gouken turtles, though, you’ve got to choose your next move wisely. As stated above, if you try IDK and he blocks it, you’re open for to Throw > Ultra. If you attack wrong, he’ll use his counter. No Gouken I played knew what to do when I mixed up this situation, so I have no idea how well it really works.

…you can dash under Gouken’s lp fireballs pretty easily, so he can’t lock Juri down in any way at all.

Most useful tools

• j.mp/hk for air-to-air
  • dive kicks to break parry/focus
  • u2 for damage

Tools to stay away from

• cr.mp/hp anti-air against demon flip – demon flip kick or air-parry will eat these alive
  • ex counter up or back – up can be punished by tatsu, back can be punished by palm. up-back is best

Thanks to: DJ Divine, King Zeal, Zujira

Guile

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: PRETTY FUCKED UP

Why?

1. All of Juri’s options to get past sonic booms are punishable (jump/focus dash forward/counter/reactive dive kick not close enough). In some cases punishable by sonic hurricane. At the very least flash kick.
  2. Guile wins the fireball war straight up – Juri must take risks in between sonic booms to get over the fact. (more on this below)
  3. u2 will never land, and u1 can be easily sonic hurricane’d or flash kicked if used without caution.

General info

• It’s difficult to hit dive kicks over sonic booms. It can’t be done on reaction, basically you had to already be in the air and make sure the sonic boom is not in your way (dive kick then run into sonic boom = embarrassing). Blocked dive kick is even worse, esp since if you were trying to go over a projectile, it’s def not done at an angle/distance where it can be safe on block.
  • Since bait/punish and applying pressure over knockdowns is the key, u1 is recommended. Still, be wary of how you use it.

Counters

• sonic boom: Read the below section on how to match sonic booms with fuhajin.
  • pokes: Backfist can be countered with a low poke (read the bottom section, this is super important). Guile’s cr.mp and forward hk are impossible to poke back, so don’t try, or you’ll eat counter hit damage.
  • sweep: block the first hit and ex pinwheel.
  • sonic hurricane: if you have the timing, ex counter and follow up with ex dive kick or just ex counter towards Guile to get behind him for punish. otherwise blocking is the best option. EX Pinwheel at point-blank range will go through due to projectile invincibility.

• Bait > Actual offense. Always be on the lookout for a wakeup flash kick, bait it as much as you can.
  • An impatient Guile is a losing Guile. Don’t bother getting in at first, try to match sonic booms with fuhajin kick and mk fuhajin release, to see if Guile ever starts walking forward.
  • Trading projectiles is the hidden objective to this matchup. In the beginning, things will be stagnant, but if you have your fuhajin kick timing down on nullifying projectiles, do this with lk and mk, try to sneak in an lk release under a sonic boom, focus absorb/nullify that sonic boom, force guile to block (or throw another sonic boom and eat the fuhajin, this happens more often than you think). If you have ex meter, go for ex ground fuhajin, in this case you can just eat the upcoming sonic boom as long as you’re within distance to hit him with the ex fuhajin. Better trade on your end. Spacing on this is difficult to achieve, but I do recommend doing this at least once or twice during a round.

• cr.mk or sweep Guile’s backfist on reaction, and apply pressure afterwards (cr.mk should be followed by hk pinwheel). cr.mk footsies is pretty important – Guile’s cr.mk does not reach where Juri’s cr.mk can reach from max range. Can’t throw them out at the same time but you can visually counter it.
  • Meaty overhead on Guile’s wakeup is good, as long as you vary the timing to bait flash kicks. Plus, Guile will almost always hold down-back so overheads are often free. If they start blocking high then do a safe overhead (do it early enough for it to whiff and you can block) and attack low.
  • PATIENCE.
    -cancel his FBs with the Fuhajin Start up, keep closing in with that while releasing the FBs to cancel his, when you’re close you can either EX Pinwheel through the SBs or Upward teleport to Mk Dive which can cross him up if he’s standing and in the right distance.
  • J.Faps will stuff his FK for free (not the EX one). You can also try dashing under the booms but IMO this totally blows as you’ll find yourself blocking the Sonic Booms with your Face much more than ones you’re avoiding. Nj.RH in the right distance can also be quite useful.
    -if you want to punish the SBs, you’re timing has to be tight with the dive kick. As in, you have to already be in the air and commanding it in. Otherwise Guile can block and combo for free. I just short dive kick over it most projectiles, unless its predictable then I dash forward, jump ex-dive kick for ultra.

Most useful tools

• cr.mk
  • Overhead
  • ex ground fuhajin
  • j.faps on wake up to Beat Flashkicks
    Tools to stay away from
  • ex pinwheel on block is punishable with flash kick or sonic hurricane, and if done on wakeup, Guile can trade/stuff it with cr.mp.
  • Dive kicks are easily punished by Guile if blocked at an unsafe distance. He can hit you with almost anything in the user’s manual.

Thanks to: DJ Divine, Eternal Blaze, Spud?

Guy

matchup

Spoiler

Against Guy, you can pretty much bully him, but stay out of the air when he flips unless you like eating command throws. If you smell a bushin flip coming, you can jump away early and usually hit him before he can get to you, or at least be safe.
Focus bushin flip -> elbow drop. If you focus early enough you can get a lvl2 when he lands, or you can backdash before he lands. His jump is very floaty and easy to AA. c.mp and c.fp all day. If they like to push buttons you can easily make them pay with Juri’s amazing pokes. I like c.mp in this matchup.
His hurricane kick is his reversal and covers some good distance, but is mad punishable on block. If you’re ahead in the life lead, just bait that shit

Thanks to: Ghrrk

Hakan

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: ¯(°_o)/¯

Eww at this match up. Unless I’m mistaken LK fireball does not stop him when he does his sldie. Also even with him being a grappler imo I think it’s best that you do NOT let him oil up. His pokes > hers easily, and he has absolutely no reason to jump with the absurd range of his throws and command normals. I don’t go for ultra anything in this match up, and I always try to have ex on hand because ex fireballs will stop him.-Master Chibihis is generally only true if he’s oiled up. prevent hakan from oiling up, or quickstand and dive kick him while he’s oiling. not kidding, i don’t care if it’s dirty. hakan is dangerous with oil and that sound he makes in japanese voice… must be stopped.

if you let hakan oil up, you shouldn’t get up close and try to bully him with pokes. the first thing to watch out for if hakan gets a knockdown on you and oils up, is the slide. ex fireball will stop slides but don’t try to react to an oiled slide – just jump away. no meaty fireballs while he’s oiled, and especially no meaty crossups/dive kicks when he has u2. you can lame him out to let the oil run out, or get a knockdown, get some dive kicks in when he tries to focus rollerskate across the screen, etc.

now, once he has no oil, his 360 is useless. unless he has ultra, cross him up with j.lk or j.mk, do your blockstrings (no pinwheels) and catch your counter hits. pick the right time to jump over him (guess right when he’s mashing 360) and keep annoying the hell out of him. if he does 360 and you jumped away, punish and do it again. don’t let him oil up at all costs.

I believe Hakan may very well be free for Juri, should the Juri play a careful keep away game. Keeping a low fireball stored up is key. Hakan’s jump is so slow, and so low that he can’t jump over the medium fireball.
When he slides, you can easily release the low fireball. His answer to fireballs is EX oil and his amazing normals, but you can punish it with either dive kick or roundhouse senpusha, dive kick being the preferred option as it builds more meter, does more damage, pushes him farther away, and takes more time away to eat up his oil.
Of course Hakan’s may very well use many of his weird attributes to find a way in on us, and then Juri may feel the hurt, as Hakan can trap you in the corner at any side of the stage, a dangerous thing for someone with no competent reversal, especially when going up against someone with a command grab such as Hakans.

***Thanks to: DJ Divine, Anemone ***

Ibuki

matchup

Spoiler

Juri (mirror)

matchup

Spoiler

Bad matchup, Juri always wins. :razz:

Ken

matchup

Spoiler

ultra selection-

either ultra is good

the general flow of the match up-

basically juri want to keep ken out, and ken want to get in to bring the pain. do your best to zone the hell out of him with fuhajins and long range pokes. but by all means, please avoid getting knocked down by ken. i know it’s easier said than done. but if you get knocked down by a decent ken, expect to be in a mix up varying from his safe jump ambiguous j.hp to his cross up tatsu mix up. either way just do what you can to avoid this situation. and learn to watch of for kara throw setups. this vid should help you to be able to see various kara throw set ups.

YouTube - Street Fighter IV : Ken Kara Throw Tutorial

how to counter stuff-

ok so we all know ken is basically just the melee version of ryu with a crappy fireball. iirc his regular hadouken have 47 frames of recovery and respectively his EX hadouken has 44 frames of recovery ( thats ryu standard hadouken recovery btw ). so basically you should have no trouble punishing kens hadouken with dives. and all juri mainers should know that c.mk xx hadouken/ex hadouken is NEVER a true blockstring. meaning that you have a couple of options to punish this. for starters if you can see the start up animation of hadouken after an c.mk you can very well do either fadc grab, ex pinwheel, or the most advance thing…ultra 2. but i suggest you try doing that particular punish in training room a few times before attempting in a real match. but keep note that if he do c.mk xx hadouken at max range please do not ex pin! you’ll either only hit him a few times and be left on negative frames or you’ll just completely whiff, so just fadc grab. and i don’t think i should have to tell everyone how to punish shoryuken so i’ll just leave some frame data on how punishable each version is. lp version is -14, mp version is -29, hp version is-30, ex version is -43. yea those are very punishable.

and GOOD kens won’t do tatsu outside of combos or escape situations but just in case. if you see ken flying towards you like an dumbass just do either c.mp or c.hp. and for some reason you just happened to blocked, here are the frames on block that tatsu has varying of course. lk tatsu is -6, mk tatsu is -4, hk tatsu is -5 ex tatsu is -3. and you’ll have to know how to stop kens main method of closing in, the famous step kick. but fear not, juri is armed with st.mp and st.mk and those 2 single pokes stuff step kick every single time.

the footsie game-

ken main poke is c.mk and low and behold, it pretty much either trade or beat our c.mk. but no worries, we have answer to this poke. just whiff punish it with either a max ranged sweep or my personal favorite, tk dive. our c.mk can whiff punish it also but you have to be a little outside of c.mk range to do so. as for his c.mp our c.mp will beat it only if we get our poke start up earlier than his lol.

anti air potential-

juri can use all of her AA’s in this match. instant j.mp/j.hp works well if you can anticipate your opponent jump in attemp. any later and your instant AA may get stuffed but if you wanna play if safe use st.mk for far range jump ins, and if ken is closer to you and he tries to jump in on you, c.mp/c.hp works well. but take note that at some ranges c.hp will trade against his j.hp so if that happens just substitute c.hp for c.mp and problem is solved.

closing comments-

overall this is a very fair match that rewards both players for getting in thier respective comfort zones. if juri keeps ken out she’ll do fine. if ken gets in on juri then she’ll be in trouble.

little trick-

just know that point blank c.mk xx low release combo works well on ken.
-after Ken has U1 stocked they’ll gonna be fishing for Couterhit HP SRK to get the full animation damage so watch out for that.

Thanks to: D_Dollars

M. Bison (Dictator)

matchup

Spoiler

Match up Stat: HARD BUT DOABLE

[media=youtube]CLv5BAYtfcY[/media]

BISON MATCHUP

+We can zone him. Bison doesn’t have fireballs.
+Juri is fast and unpredictable. She can be anywhere she wants on the screen.
+We have some decent counters and set ups we can use.

-FOOTSIES. Bison pretty much owns Juri. Not much we can do about that. We can still outsmart our opponent though. Bison isn’t really clever. hehe.
-Hard to rush a turtling Bison.
-Not a lot of options vs scissor kicks.
-Bison can easily escape FSE 3 different ways: teleport, ex Head Press/stomp and ex psycho crusher.
-Air to air seems to be in favor of Bison.
-Bison’s j.hp beats Juris anti-air I think.

Ultra of choice: Ultra 2!

Today I went to training mode and I found out there is A LOT of ways to set it up vs M.Bison. FSE is risky but can also work if you know how to use it.

BISON’S SPECIALS

Scissor Kicks

LK Scissor is pretty much safe on block. So we can’t really punish it. But we can counter hit it with st.lk. This works best when you are really close to Bison. From further away, it’s trickier.

We can also Focus Absorb backdash IF we are far enough. If we are too close we get hit 2 times.

One way to punish scissor kick, is to simply backdash and go for a sweep or a fuhajin store. For this to work you need to be further than sweep distance when Bison uses his special.

Scissor kick can also be parried with Kasatushi. I suggest using HP. Only problem is you pretty much have to anticipate it.

nj.hk is also good to deal with this move.

Psycho Crusher

From far away, you can beat this move on reaction with st.lk, cr.mp and st.mk. From close, use st.lk.

Just like Blanka’s beast roll, Bison’s psycho crusher can be hit while you jump backwards. Best air attacks for this are: j.hp, j.hk, j.lk, j.mp.

But here’s the tricky part. Depending on where you are in the air when Bison goes for his psycho crusher, you should use a different attack. Use j.hp, j.mp or j.lk if you are directly above Bison’s body (around center). And use j.hk if you are near the head of psycho crusher. So in other words: Early jump = use j.hk. Late jump = use the other ones. Note that you can’t hit Bison’s “tail” with any of those attacks.

nj.hk also works ok (early and late). But it’s all a matter of spacing and timing.

You can actually set up Ultra 2 and Super after you counter this move. Jump backwards and hit medium punch. (try to time your jump so you land on the middle of Bison’s body) .You will create a juggle state. Then, you can either jump and go for an EX dive kick xx Ultra. Do LK Senpusha FADC xx Ultra. Or go for Super if you have 4 bars. If you don’t have ultra, you can simply do EX Senpusha or EX Fuhajin. You can also go for a juggle reset mixup.

Teleport

This is similar to Vega’s back flip. It can be annoying. But it also has lots of recovery time. This can easily be punished with H Senpusha, Focus Attack level 2 or jump backward MK. All depends on where Bison is of course.

Head Press / Stomp / Revenge

Whenever Bison goes for the stomp, think this is a dream opportunity to turns things around. Lots of ways you can punish this move.

Easiest way to punish this is nj.mk, nj.hk, j.mp and j.hp. Only jump backwards though, j.mp and j.hp will not work if you jump forward! j.hp gets you a knockdown. But with j.mp you can actually connect Ultra 2 (just do a very quick LK dive kick right after you hit mp in the air).

Another way is to block the stomp, then go for a Focus Attack level 2-3 OR cr.hp xx Fuhajin store xx sweep. This is assuming Bison goes for the Somersault Skull Driver (the airborne purple punch) after the stomp.

If you have almost no life meter left and don’t want to take chip damage, you can just dash under and go for a sweep for a free untechable knockdown.

You can also use HP Kasatushi. If Bison stays close in air, go for hk. If he tries to get away, go for a HK dive kick!

Usually, good Bison players will never go for Somersault Skull Driver because they know it can be Focus Absorbed. They usually get as far away as they can after the head stomp to play it safe. One of the funniest way to punish this: Block/Focus Absorb the stomp, dash xx MK Super. Or Focus Absorb the stomp, dash xx LK Senpusha FADC xx Ultra 2. :slight_smile: Dash needs to be delayed a bit (other wise Bison will fly in opposite direction for some reason). And if you go for FADC Ultra, the ultra also has to be delayed a tiny bit. This is because Bison is way up in the air after you pinwheel his floating ass.

Against Headstomp:
cr.HP trades - bad trade for Juri, you are better off blocking. j.MP mostly trades, loses other times, hardly ever wins. Sometimes EX Senpusha right before headstomp lands will hit Bison out of it, but it’s probably not worth the meter. Against EX Headstomp, cr.HP still trades, but obviously this is an even worse trade for Juri. Doing cr.MK right before Bison hits will cause ALL Headstomps to whiff - follow up with throw!

If you use EX Counter and jump forward out of it, HK Dive Kick + followups is free. Even if Bison chooses to land close to you, what is likely to end up happening is you will end up on the other side of him in the air, and instead of Dive Kick you’ll just get j.HK, which is still good.
Against Headstomp Followup:**
cr.HP wins if your timing is right, trades otherwise, loses sometimes. cr.MP works well in a very weird way. Early j.MP also beats out the followup. Best option for Headstomp Followup is cr.MK xx Senpusha. As I suspected, cr.MK lowers you beneath Bison’s hitbox, stuffing the followup and allowing you to combo into Pinwheel or Fuhajin Leg Raise if you want. cr.HK will also lower her hitbox low enough to the ground to avoid getting hit, plus it gives you an untechable knockdown.

If you use HP Counter (the one that Jumps upward) against the initial headstomp, you can do j.HK in the air and hit Bison out of his followup, or EX Dive Kick and combo into Ultra 2.

Against ALL Devil’s Reverse:
cr.HP wins if you time it right, cr.MK works the same way as against Bison’s Headstomp Followup. Use it to avoid + stuff the hit, then follow up.

ULTRA 1

If opponent mashes random Ultra 1 on wake up, you can counter hit with your own ultra 2.

ULTRA 2

Easiest way to counter is with a jump attack of course. Obviously you should go for j.mp for max damage juggle.

But I’ve found another way if you have Super meter. First, bait the ultra with a L Fuhajin store (this happens a lot: When they see you do fuhajin leg raise, they use their ultra). Now the trick is to hold LK and start mashing the input for your Super move. And when Bison is just about to hit the ground, release LK. Your super will come out, making juri airborne for a second (meaning you just evaded their Ultra). Negative edge ftw! :smiley:

FOOTSIES / POKES

To beat your enemy, you have to know their best tools. Bison’s best pokes are: cr.lk, st.mk and st.hk. You can bet your ass they will use those often. And since Bison just outclasses Juri in every department (both power, crouch tech and range), you need to think smart.

Bison’s cr.lk

Just like when you fight Balrog and Vega, Bison will be mashing this annoying crouch poke if you end up too close. It comes out faster than Chun Li’s lightning kicks and he can combo into scissors. So it’s a pretty dangerous. Luckily, there are a few tricks you can use to outsmart Bison.

First, you can just neutral jump or abuse cross-ups. This often does the job. Cross-up attacks have the advantage of cancelling Bison’s back charge, so keep that in mind.

Then when you land near Bison, you can use EX Senpusha or L/H/EX Kasatushi to try and surprise him. This works a lot vs Bison, Balrog and Vega because they are suckers for crouch techs.

Another way to fool Bison, is to go with this blockstring: st.lk, st.lk, st.lk. This will create enough space for you. Bison won’t be able to hit you with cr.lk but you’ll still be able to hit him with st.lk or st.mk.

Bison’s st.mk

This is a strong and fast poke with a lot of range. Don’t try to outpoke him standing, you will so fail. The trick to beat this poke is to go for a crouching mk or a sweep. For these attack to work you need to be at around sweep distance. If you’re too close, Bison will have priority.

Bison’s st.hk

This is Bison’s favorite anti-air. If you jump at him, he will probably use this. I don’t know how many of you already know this, but Juri actually has 3 air attacks that have priority over it: j.hk, j.hp and j.mp. j.hk seems safer. Works almost everytime. j.hp sometimes trades but in Juri’s favor. j.mp also works and you can set up ultra if Bison is in the corner with a quick dive kick.

Another way to fool Bison is to jump at him at what seems to be an unsafe distance. Then go for EX dive kick to beat his anti-air.

Also, don’t forget about instant dive kick and fuhajin projectiles. They both can be used as long range pokes.

Final Notes:
Stay on the ground. He seems to beat her in the air with a lot of what he has, mostly j.MP/HP. If he tries to crossup Psycho Crusher on her wakeup, EX Pinwheel will trade with it at best, but the timing and direction are hard to get. Bison can U2 on reaction to seeing a Fuhajin kick, and if done correctly, she won’t recover fast enough (though this might need more testing).

On the bison subject, he can slide under middle fireball and scissor/psycho over the short fireball…also good against you in the air.

Thanks to: Vulcan Hades, B-Rad, CB, Ryuga, SnakeAes

Makoto

matchup

Spoiler

Makoto seems pretty free in this matchup. Zone her with fireballs and AA with c.mp/c.fp and call it a day. You can bully her easily up close with c.mp and c.mk.
Its all about controlling the momentum in this matchup. Since you start away from Makoto, you’re already in the lead there. Quickest way she has to get to you is EX Hayate. If she has momentum on you and is pressuring, stay calm, block her shit, and avoid karakusa.
Her EX Overhead chop is Invincible so be careful when you’re right next to her. EX Karakusa will grab through one hit, but if you’re physically out of range of a grab then she just absorbs the hit and sits there in recovery…ie. max range c.mk. Makoto has some particularily nasty Meaty setups, and Juri has no great reversals on wakeup so try to avoid getting knocked down.
Avoiding Makoto’s mindgames and keeping her at bay with pokes and fireballs seems to just hand you the match.

Thanks to: Ghrrk

Rose

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup stat: JURI MAKES YOU LOOK BAD

Why?

1. Rose’s fireball game is good only if you try to match her fireballs. She has bad recovery on her fireballs (they’re easy to tell, more on this below) and they’re easy prey for dive kicks.
  2. Juri has ways to punish backdashes, and Rose is a happy backdasher.
  3. Rose has a pretty strong tick throw game which threatens Juri, but with good defense, Juri can deal more damage at the end of the day.

General info

• Pretend like you’re going to match her fireballs – don’t ever throw a fireball first, since Rose’s reflect absorb move can give her massive meter and extra damage on her super. Once you put Rose in the mindset that you’re gonna try to zone her back and keep throwing fireballs, you can either dive kick over one of her fireballs (full followups) or make her come to you.
  • Be careful with meaty attacks when she has meter or ultra (obviously). Most average Rose players will try to herp-a-derp their way out by doing wakeup ex drill. Punish drills heavily. Either this, or when they don’t have meter, they will backdash on wakeup. Punish backdashes. Cover these bases then Rose is pretty much done until she gets her guaranteed 2nd chance with ultra.
  • If you end up jumping around too much you will eat cr.hp and soul throw to death. Stay grounded even though you might take chip from drills and get annoyed by slide and throw setups.

Counter

• Fireball (soul spark): Jump forward + hk dive kick + followups. This will ALMOST always work. Her hp soul spark is the slowest to come out (29 frames) but the fastest to recover, so if you’re looking to jump over the actual projectile for the dive kick, it could mess with your timing.
  • Blocked drills: Spacing dependent, but if cr.lk or st.lk connects after blocking, follow it up. lp or ex drill is easy to punish with kara throw, but its harder to tell which drill she’s doing, than fireball. Same as her fireballs, the faster to come out, the slower they recover (lp, ex < mp < hp in recovery). If you can ex pinwheel between cr.mp and drill, that’s hp drill. This works btw, so you should do it if you can afford the meter.
  • Soul satellite: ex pinwheel is projectile-invincible, which means if Rose is not blocing while she has u2 activated, she will eat it and both of her orbs will disappear. If you get knocked down and Rose activates u2, look for an opening to get this out. If Rose activates u2 as a wakeup reversal option, make sure you weren’t dumb enough to try to cross up or otherwise throw a meaty that will get you hit (I’m serious, too many people go on the offensive without watching ultra meter). If you anticipate Rose activating u2 on wakeup at any time, ex mid or high fuhajin can nullify 1 orb (2 if you’re lucky, but hardly possible). Even better, if you release ex ground fuhajin at a time when Rose is trying to dash up or walk up to you, and both orbs miss the ground fuhajin, Rose will get hit and both orbs will be gone. OR YOU CAN JUST BLOCK FOR 5 SECONDS if you have the life.
  • Blocked slides: If they’re trying to space the slide correctly to go for a throw or kara throw, Juri’s cr.lk can avoid it, and on hit, you can time your own kara throw to counter her. Or you can ex pinwheel over the slide while it’s still active.

• I always emphasize baiting, but for this matchup, it’s okay to be on the offensive until Rose has ultra. Then you start baiting. It may be an odd pace in matchup for some people, but it’s easy to get used to.
  • Don’t go crazy with pokes up close, since Juri’s best pokes are often cr.mp/mk and st.lk/mk, which can be beaten by Rose’s slide or cr.mp (stupid I know). It’s often better to finish your block strings quickly by cancelling into fuhajin kick (make sure Rose blocks it, otherwise you eat cr.mp xx drill). Stay out of her cr.mp range to poke safely, but ultimately you want to go in-and-out often.

• Cover Rose’s wakeup options. She has 1) backdash, 2) ex drill, 3) soul satellite. Backdash can be punished by cross up, cr.lk OS ex pinwheel (I use it too, it’s great). ex drill can be baited by empty jumps on Rose’s wakeup then punished from close up. u2 has been mentioned all over this writeup, so go nuts.
  • Have good defense, since a good Rose player will frame trap you with block strings that end in cr.mp xx drill where cr.mp can lead to a counter hit. They will also go for a lot of throws to break up your defense, so stay solid. Learn to tech slide into throw (it’s an odd timing).
    -You can safejump or safe LK on wake-up and OS both with block or EX Senpusha.
    [media=youtube]XlxgTk9Wf_c[/media]
    -U2 is easy to land with FuzzyGuard. High EX Fuhajin on wake up prevents Soul Satellites (eats both Orbs)

Most useful tools

• Jump forward + hk dive kick over fireballs
  • Jump in/cross up, cr.lk OS ex pinwheel for backdash punish
  • kara throw setups

Tools to stay away from

• Adding lk pinwheel to your block string. cr.mp xx drill can punish this.
  • Pokes within Rose’s cr.mp range. Don’t even try.
  • u1 can cause Rose to activate soul satellites and make both players’ ultras go to waste (Rose has an upper hand though, in this case). Just pick u2 and know your setups. ex dive kick is super easy to land on Rose.

Thanks to: DJ Divine, hotaru

Rufus

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: PRETTY HARD

Why?

1. Rufus somewhat suffers against zoning, but he has a few tools to get over it. Juri suffers from rushdown, and while she has ways to run away from pressure, they can be futile against Rufus’s throw game.
  2. Rufus is largely a simpleton that is very effective with his BnB combo, and ways to land it. Juri cannot extend damage and comboability without holding lk fuhajin (and therefore giving up teching throws for the time being).
  3. Juri and Rufus are extra vulnerable to character-specific combos.

General info

• Don’t make it a habit to constantly tech throws with each of Rufus’s ticks. It’s easy for Rufus to find opportunities for quick dive kicks.
  • You can’t mix Rufus up into blocking incorrectly for long before he decides to retaliate, however it is pretty easy to make him unable to block ambiguous jump-ins.
  • Imagine a fat kid that everyone made fun of back in middle school. Up until the very moment he decides to bring his dad to school (ex messiah kick. Rufus goes to church apparently), bully him as much as you can.
  • Try not to meet him in the air as much as other characters, as Rufus’s j.hp x 2 leads to DEATH, pretty much. Even with Juri’s j.mp, the trade won’t be in her favor.
  • You need to zone Rufus out of Juri’s personal space (within any of her fuhajin release range) but sometimes fuhajin charge too close can be hit by a smart cr.hp on Rufus’s end. Watch out for this as you charge and hold fuhajin.

Counters

• Blocked ex messiah kick: Correctly guess and block the followups to punish with a hit-confirm combo. If you see the sweep followup, you can ex pinwheel.
  • ex messiah kick flies over Juri’s head: If Rufus did any followups, dash up at the very moment you’re back in control and cr.mk into combo. If Rufus doesn’t do any followups, be cautious, but he’s within cr.mk range as soon as he lands.
  • In general, don’t look into countering what Rufus can do, as most of his shenanigan starters or specials used in them are safe.
    -Ultra 2 is the best bet, since if he does any ex messiah, and tries to do any follow-up he’ll be hit by ultra 2. Just don’t do it too early after the initial hits or his overhead will beat you clean out of your ultra 2, so delay a bit.

• Use cr.lp+lk+hp in case Rufus tries another dive kick, to punish the attempt or trade in your favor. On Rufus, this also works on the ground if he tries to throw, as he cannot throw Juri’s cr.hp motion from his farther throw ranges.
  • If you catch onto the Rufus player’s pattern, you can reaction j.mp some of his dive kick attempts and deal fat damage. Due to this you will also have many chances to activate u1 and use it (recommended).
  • Don’t fight Rufus. Let him fight you. He is always the one that has to try and get in for damage in any matchup. Don’t give him any chances. As soon as you start getting mixed up and taking damage, you may not come back.
  • On the flip side, pressure Rufus until he gets meter, then change up your game to bait messiah kicks.

• Get the fear of dive kicks out of your head (it’s not quite the same but Juri has one too). Don’t be scared of throws, either.
  • I personally like to use u1, as meterless Rufus is pretty vulnerable to meaty overheads and it’s easy to hit j.mp against dive kick attempts. It tends to make ex messiah kick baiting quite a bit easier as well.

Most useful tools

• cr.lp+lk+hp teching (use sparingly)
  • meaty cr.mk to bait ex messiah kick (use sparingly when Rufus has meter but not ultra. also make sure you have life to sustain maybe 2 hits of ex messiah kick)
    -c.mk on wake up beats all his options (aside from both Ultras), EX messiah will do 1 or 2 hits then go over you for a free Punish.
    Tools to stay away from
  • Preemptive normal anti-airs. Get ready to be stuffed with dive kicks.

Thanks to: DJ Divine, Dr.Grammar, Ryuga

Ryu

matchup

Spoiler

Hey you like to fireball Ryu? That’s cool, I like to walk forward and cancel out your projectiles at the same time.

With Ryu, your c.mk will beat his in the right distance, I think far RH will go over it as well. If you have Ryu Dp’ing you all the time have a RH Fireball Stored just in case to hit him with it when he DPs. J.Faps will stuff Dps depending on the angle/timing (Not ex AFAIK)

if you’re getting hit by c.Fierce when you’re going for a cross up then you’re doing it a bit too far coz even if they didnt AA in that range it wont cross up. Dont get predicable with the Overhead as its kinda slow and can be stuffed on reaction. Use the Dive kick moderately for pressure and for punishing Fireballs.

Use the Upward Teleport then either nj.HK or Mk dive depending on your distance. Forward Teleport is punishable if you do it mid-range. Do it from long-range to close in or from point-blank range to go behind him then c.forward xx pinwheel.

you basically need to stay in the max range where you can hit c.forward, in that range nothing he does can reach you and you can go through FBs with EX pinwheel, you can apply pressure with low Fireball, EX fireball and TK’d EX dive to punish stuff.

I’ve got the forward moving kara-fireball charge down, simply had to move my 4th button from all three punches to all three kicks and it is very doable. Just, don’t go on auto-pilot haha, or you’ll eat an EX Fireball juggle into Ultra from the likes of Sagat. This has other uses too for getting inside. The hitbox on this move is really underrated I feel, short range yes, but at the right distance its priority is amazing. Find that distance right for dhalisim, memorize that. Then you can Kara a light fireball charge, either granting you the knockdown without trading, or you advanced forward and now have a light fireball to throw out at the right moment to advance forward even more.

Air considers Juri at an advantage against Ryu, a small one its there, frankly tbh id agree with him as well, its so easy to bypass Ryu’s fireball game with divekicks and zone him out. Juri often wins in fireball wars with Ryu simply because theres always a divekick threat or a counter to cr.mk. His jump is slow and we have good AA, his crossup tatsu on our wakeup loses clean to cr.mk xx pinwheel and we can often punish his sweep. In AE its only going to get better because his footsie game is worse with the cr.mk nerf, not to mention we get the walk speed buff so we can keep up with him more, things are looking good in AE.

Thanks to: Eternal Blaze, Anemone, MetallicMike

Sagat

matchup

Spoiler

Match up Stat: JURI MAKES YOU LOOK BAD

Why?

1. All versions of Sagat’s tiger shots are vulnerable to being dive kicked on reaction. Juri can also keep up fairly well against both high and low tiger shots, and Sagat’s low tiger shot still does not nullify (!!) Juri’s lk or ex ground fuhajin release.
  2. Juri can often deal more damage than Sagat can in similar situations. Juri’s pokes win over many of Sagat’s as well, diminishing Sagat’s options to st.hk or tiger uppercut to beat pokes.
  3. Sagat is one of few characters Juri’s fuzzy guard j.mp works on. Juri can sometimes get jump-happy, which can be heavily punished by Sagat.

General info

• You don’t have to be scared of Sagat anymore. This is not vanilla sf4. Sagat’s been nerfed to hell. However, against a player with a thorough knowledge of Sagat’s tools, it can still be a fair challenge.
  • Sagat hardly jumps in on anyone. Keep it that way by denying him with cr.mp.
  • cr.mk is pretty important as it can go under tiger knees and high tiger shots. Juri can also dash under high tiger shots, and counter low tiger shots towards Sagat and still have some frames for mixup (low tiger shot recovery is terrible).

Counters

• High tiger shot: Crouch, dash under (timing is delicate), fuhajin kick / mk fuhajin release, reaction jump + hk dive kick (followups will not hit)
  • Low tiger shot: Same as above, plus counter towards Sagat for mixup, reaction jump + hk dive kick followups WILL HIT
  • Tiger knee: cr.mk if done in between an unclean blockstring (if it’s a true blockstring then you won’t get to move).
  • Forward hk: Crouch and punish quickly, otherwise you might eat shenanigan tiger uppercut

• If Sagat wants to play the fireball game, sneak lk fuhajin release in between your fuhajin kicks and mk releases as you advance slightly. Sagat cannot nullify lk funajin releases, so he is forced to block or eat it if he tries to throw out another tiger shot. Also it’s easier to make him jump with it. Time for anti-air city.
  • Up close, st.mk is a very good poke in this match (along with many others), since crouching Sagat can often be vulnerable to both hits (his crouching hitbox is still enormous).

• Due to fuzzy guard, and the fact that Sagat can deal huge damage off of reversals, I use u2 in this matchup. It won’t go to waste!

Most useful tools

• cr.mp/hp anti-air
  • Counter towards Sagat on low tiger shots
  • Jump + hk dive kick tiger shots
  • Fuzzy guard

Tools to stay away from

• Early lk crossup. Sagat is tall and he can retaliate before you connect your next normal on the ground.

PLAYER CHANGE:

EmblemLord wrote a very good analysis of the Juri VS Sagat Matchup, Check it out here:
http://shoryuken.com/f337/journey-tigerlord-vs-juri-248508/index3.html#post9511597

According to him its an even matchup

Thanks to: DJ Divine, EmblemLord

Sakura

matchup

Spoiler

matchup Stat: CHALLENGING BUT DOABLE

Sakura doesn’t get zoned that easily by Juri, mainly because j.hp beats out c.mp clean and trades at worst with c.hp. And even then she has her air shunpu which beats out all of Juri’s grounded anti airs when timed correctly, or can be done so that it makes her whiff (in case you’ve conditioned Juri to rely on c.hp), and punish her with a free c.mk x hp sho x fadc combo for 460+dmg.

When Sakura is close to Juri, she doesn’t have any escape aside from backdashing, which can be punished on reaction by Sakura when the player takes notice of it. If Juri does EX PW to try and escape pressure when sakura does cl.hp x lk shunpu, c.hp, c.hp will always trade and Sakura gets a free trade combo with c.mk x hp sho. On wakeup Juri is forced to block because lk shunpu will beat the ex reversal due to armor break and ex pw will just pass through Sakura so she can punish it afterwards. If Juri backdashes she takes the hit from lk shunpu and is sent fullscreen towards the corner.

Sakura also has a very nice combo hitbox against Juri because she can do cl.hp x lk shunpu, c.hp x lk shunpu, c.hp x ex shunpu/hp sho, so her damage output on getting a hit in is ridiculous. Because Juri can’t escape her pressure, Sakura is also allowed to build a lot of meter in this matchup. Juri’s only chance of winning is by keeping Sakura out for the whole match, because you won’t be able to escape pressure once she has you cornered.

Even if Juri does get Sakura cornered Sakura has several options that are dangerous for Juri if she wants to keep the corner pressure going. The main issue is ex sho, especially when Sakura has 3 bars, because that means if Sakura guesses right Juri will eat 500dmg just like that and end up in the corner on the other side of the stage.
Secondly Sakura has a good escape tatsu, so she isn’t forced to just sit there and not be able to jump out because Juri is waiting there with c.mp/c.hp like the situation is for many characters, and third is her c.mk it’s just 5f like Ryu’s, but the payoff is much higher than his if it connects. So it’s worth trying to read the Juri players timing and try to counter hit them with c.mk because it’s an instant match turnaround.
Sakura is also “allowed” to straight jump more in the corner than other characters because of her u+hk which will most likely beat or trade any walkup anti air Juri will try, so she will have to have mk/hk fireball stored simply to be able to deal with that

Thanks to: Skatan Milla

Seth

matchup

Spoiler

Seth. I try and out poke him. I fail though. If he has no ultra 1 or super I dash under booms and at that point a good guess is half his life. I find this better than trying to dive kick booms as on block you can be thrown, spd, srk, or mp xx kicks. Srk and mp will cover back dash, throws cover your blocks. Spd and srk(or jabs) will cover our c lks.

Basically I’m saying your putting yourself in a 50/50. No good if you jump in and get a hk on block, at least now he’s gotta guess. Fuzzy guard, low, throw, or a safe fuhajin store.

btw, i just found out that cr hp owns seth j hp. just letting the community know because if ya’ll played any seth’s, it wouldn’t be a surprise to watch seth’s auto pilot sonic boom then j hp to keep the distance. so i suppose if you know j hp is coming ( which shouldn’t take long to figure out if the seth user keeps abusing it ) just tag the limb with cr hp.

EDIT:the tip of st mk also owns j hp. anything else is either a trade or it just completely loses. for his cr hp. c mk either trades or get beat out clean.

Thanks to: D_Dollars, kailkun

T. Hawk

matchup

Spoiler

When I got the advantage I got the advantage when he had the advantage he had the advantage
FK fireball charged and uncharged beats condor dive.MK fireball charged and uncharged beat condor Spire. Juri U1 was beating condor dive as he comes down. So I guess thats something to take into context

Thawks Ultra 2 was beating Dive Kicks : [

Also, to add into the T.Hawk match up, always have FK fireball stored.

One, it will stop T. Hawk’s options of coming in from the air.

Two, it will stop his options from doing horiztonal hawk dive (whatever it’s called) as you release it on reaction to it.

Three, since he’s so tall the bastard gets hit by the FK fireball standing.

You can make this matchup a complete bitch for him.

Don’t do ex-pinwheel on wake up, he can grab you right out of it, just keep your distance.

Also, the motherfucker can crouch under MK fireball somehow, even though he’s a moving tree stump.

For the T. Hawk matchup, a blocked Condor Dive can be punished by hk pinwheel. Far st. mk is a good poke to keep him at bay.
Juri can keep him out with fireballs and then run away all day with the lead. Make one mistake though and T. Hawk will have the upper hand almost immediately. I would use dive kicks and pinwheels sparingly or maybe not at all since they’re all unsafe and T. Hawk can just punish with his SPD move.

Blocked Spire can be punished with U2

Anyway, as for Hawk, I’ve found that simply blocking and punishing Condor Dive with HK Pinwheel is far more effective. It takes less forethought, reaction, and inputs than trying to beat him with an HK fireball.

T.Hawk Pokes:

Out of curiosity, I checked each of Hawk’s normals, and here’s what I found:

LP – Stuffs or Trades with Juri’s Far st.HK. At max distance, her MK stuffs it cleanly. Her cr.MP trades usually, but stuffs it on occasion. Any of these trades are in Juri’s favor.

MP-- The only reliable move that stuffs this is cr.MP, and only at max distance (you have to hit his hands with her fingernails). MP and MK work as trades, but they don’t give you any real advantage. The best option I found was far st.HK (at half screen distance), which not only stuffs the move most of the time, but any trade will work out in Juri’s favor AND bounce her back to full screen distance.

HP – Again, the only reliable counter for this move is cr.MP. It beats st.HK 90% of the time, and trading is not advantageous. An alternative to cr.MP is cr.MK, although that puts you dangerously close.

LK – HP beats this at max distance, as does LK and MK. (I guess I should call Juri “toenail fighter” at this point, lol.) Everything else trades or is stuffed.

MK – Surprisingly, far st.HK is your best option against his by FAR. It hits cleanly at over 2/3rds of a screen away, and the damage on trade is TOTALLY in Juri’s favor. If you feel like staying close for whatever reason, LK, MK, and MP are all effective at max distance.

HK – cr.MP beats this cleanly. It almost never trades, and can even PUNISH on whiff. MK also punishes, but it’ll lose if you do it too early.

LP – This is one of his best pokes against Juri. It beats almost everything cleanly, except for cr.MP, and only at over half-screen distance. Once again, you have to hit the VERY tip of his hands with Juri’s fingernails to beat it cleanly. If you want to take a chance, you can try st.HK, which is a gamble, but may be worth it since the damage is in Juri’s favor, it keeps distance, and it hits long range. Keep in mind, though, that LP beats it with no trade, though, and Juri goes into air recovery when hit.

cr.LP – This trades or beats damn near everything. F+MK can beat it SOME of the time, but this seems to be very effective at keeping Juri out. The best thing you can probably do is jump over it and attempt jump-ins (if you’re confident you won’t get thrown).

cr.MP – st.HK is a viable option here, so long as you can time it properly. Other than that, you’ll see that cr.MP is once again the best option, along with st.MK (of course, at max distance).

cr.HP – Another great poke for T.Hawk. Nothing I can find beats it cleanly, and damage is in his favor.

cr. LK – Every MP and MK option you have beats this move, and st.FK is a godsend. It’s not like Hawk would even bother poking with this anyway, though, so I doubt this info is useful.

cr.MK – Your punches are absolutely useless against this. Once again, f+MK, far st.HK, far st.MK, and far st.LK are the way to go.

cr.HK – The only safe option against this is far st.HK, and only from about 2/3rds of screen. Everything else trades on occasion or puts you close to him, leading to a knockdown or a grab.

***Thanks to: TheArkayne, King Zeal, elcubanoloco, Master Chibi, Tooserius, Amended ***

Vega (Claw)

matchup

Spoiler

matchup Stat: HARD BUT DOABLE

Juri is free on wake up for Vega, and the izuna loop completely rapes her. if vega gets a knockdown near the corner (assuming the vega knows what theyre doing) the match should end right there.
the reason it works so well on Juri is that no matter what move you do she’s still vulnerable to the izuna drop, I’ve grabbed Juris out of everything from Pinwheels/EX pinwheels, fireball kick, counters, FA, backdashes; only thing that gets you out is the HK super or Ultra… that is if you can get the input right…

most guaranteed way around Vega’s dives is c.MK under them, coz it dodges both the slash and the Izuna drop (if timed right). Doesnt work if its an EX dive though coz they can do a double slash and still catch you.
if its just random dives just jump back HK/MK or nj.HK and you’ll smack him out of it everytime. if its done as a meaty your only option is Pinwheel (ex or LK) and hope that the spacing messes the izuna loop spacing.

what you want to do is stay up in his grill nonstop, Vega crumbles under pressure and he’s very free on wake up. get in there, do a mixup or two, get a knockdown and STAY on his ass.
Dont give him any space to breath or stick out that c.MP, if you get a knockdown and you have your safejumps set up right then outside of U2 there’s nothing he can do but block the wake pressure. just make sure you do lots of tight frametraps coz vegas love to mash that c.MP mid blockstrings.
Mid range is where vega shines best coz of the range on his pokes, notably his s.MK and his df.HK. its also where his karathrow becomes really scary so try to either give yourself space and zone him out with fireballs; not easy as he has alot of ways around those, but its still an option. your other option is close in and nonstop pressure.

one more thing, make them pay if they ever try to do his flips, the KKK one can be punished on reaction by an EX pinwheel or a Focus into Ultra, the PPP one you can HK dive on reaction, you gotta be quick though, and i think if you perdict it you can do dash (probably 2 dashes) and EX pinwheel or Super.

His J.Fierce beats all AA, even cr.hp, though ud be lucky to trade.

His Cosmic heel punishs Expinwheel while it still has active frames going, it literally rips right through it, so in situations where you would Expinwheel, it out and out beats its startup.

Cr.Mk is the most unsafe move you can do without meter or fireball, he can punish a blocked cr.mk, a blocked pinwheel and a whiffed fireball store at Cr.mk’s mid to max distance with a jab to wall dive.

He gets mixup off blocking a fireball store, his jab and mp still reach you, if you jump he can air grab, if you backdash he can slide/wall dive, if you counter/FA he can scarlet terror, everytime he blocked fireball store you put yourself more at risk than you do him.
Theres no 1 beats all OS to take out his backdash/PPP/KKK so he does still have escape/wakeup options.

He out footsies you with his godlike walkspeed + pokes, Gooteck’s shimmey all day.

Without his claw it does make the matchup easier but they can always get it back obviously. If you dont somehow get him in the corner, the matchup is for the most part out and out balls to the walls frustrating
its Very important to know Vega’s ideal range.
One thing to do vs Vega is frame trap or blockstring (something like cst.lk, cst.lk, cr.mp xx lk pinwheel or simply cr.mk lk release) and then go immediatly into kasatushi or level 1 FA. I can’t reach Vega anymore but he can still reach me with cr.mp, st.mk and df.hk so if he goes for either I get a free counter or absorb. Reason why this works is that Vega players like to mash 'em claws to create space.

Focus attack can work on a Vega who is diving towards you but its has to be timed well as Vega can hit you twice when doing the dive or worse still, do his air throw!
A well timed J.mk towards will stuff his Ultra 1 before he gets a chance to activate it. Discovered this by accident, I hit Vega with the J.mk just as was jumping up towards the wall pre-activation, I saw the text for the ultra on his bar flash but seeing as I hit before its activated, it didn’t work and he lost the ultra meter.
If you intend on zoning a Vega, you really have to know what your doing as Vega can be so damn fast at times. he has all the tools to bypass fireballs, slides, walldives, projectile invincible roll, a fast walk speed and far reaching normals.

Thanks to: Eternal Blaze, Vulcan Hades, metallicMike, Misty Chaos

Zangief

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: HARD BUT DOABLE

I play this a lot like I play him using Chun. Zone with fireballs. Mix up your fireballs, if you get him to guess wrong, he’s taking a lot of damage on fireballs alone.
You can zone him out pretty well just using them, as if he goes green hand, low fireball tends to work, jump-ins are free against high and mid, depending on the angle.
Also, dive kick seems to do very well against Gief spamming far lariats. I don’t know how the timing is, so I could be wrong on that, but I was doing pretty well with jumping straight after he starts one, then dive kicking

Thanks to: Missing Person

Yang

Matchup

Spoiler

Yun

matchup

Spoiler

Matchup Stat: LOLyun

bad MU, but still doable if you’re gdlk (or if the Yun really sucks…)

Low fireball beats Palm/Shouler/Lunge Punch
Cr.mk beats Lunge Punch
cr.mk beats lk/mk DP
Meaty short (OS sweep) covers HK upkicks and backdash
Nj.Hk for easy punishes on missed shoulders and (sometimes) lunge punchs
Close Standing mk for getting out of blocked divekick situations
Good punish options for whiffed upkicks

I thought I would analyze some Juri vs Yun matchups for fun.

[media=youtube]8gB2MUBhW3A&feature=player_embedded[/media]

No question Yun is going to be hard to deal with (though some said Yang would be tougher). He seems to have really great frame traps and counter tools. But as we can see in this video, Juri’s cr.hp seems like a very good option select counter for the dive kick. Not sure if cr.mp would work also (I’m pretty sure it trades).

Yun’s crouching light punch seems as good as Juri’s close standing light kick. After blocking the first hit, I would probably try a Kasatushi to escape the second one or an ex pinwheel to punish/counter. Back dashing + lk pinwheel could also be an option.

About his mix ups, I know I would have a hard time teching his cr.lk x2 into throw. He doesn’t even need to walk that much he can already grab you after those 2 hits!

Also, Yun has 2 moves that can bypass Juri’s projectiles and set up his ultra/super so be aware of it. Just like when you fight a Dudley, you don’t want to throw your projectile from too close. Actually even from far away throwing projectiles at Yun looks pretty dangerous if you have recovery.

That’s his main AA and wake up reversal. A good thing to keep in mind!

Nisshoukyaku reminds me of Guy’s tornado kick: easily baitable and avoidable with cr.mk. I’m pretty sure FSE should be the ultra of choice just because his weak wake up options.

Yet another important thing to know. You don’t have to stand up to block his dive kicks.

And since Yun has to reach a certain height before doing his dive kick, I think Juri could escape it with a quick dash under. Other options of evasion could be:

-instant dive kick
-neutral jump + mk/hk dive kick.
-forward or backward j.mp
-backward j.hp

For cross-up dive kicks:

-kasatushi
-cr.mk (lowers the hitbox enough?)

[media=youtube]bzjAH22sOZ8&feature=player_embedded#at=49[/media]

0:46 - instant dive kick beats Yun’s dive kick

2:19 - we can see that his lunge punch has almost no recovery time on block. He goes directly into low shorts.

3:06 - using kasatushi to escape an ambiguous cross-up dive kick. Pretty smart. Though he didn’t take advantage of the ex version.

[media=youtube]jn6jpA6QJJM&feature=player_embedded#at=41[/media]

It’s clear that the palm move is Yun’s favorite meter builing tool. Instant hk dive kick could probably hit in time if you are well positionned. But I’m guessing empty jumping could also bait one of his special moves.

Storing mk/hk fuhajin seems like a good idea vs a character that likes to dive kick so much.

1:45 - random ultra after Juri gets hit by the dive kick. Actually thought that was a good read. Knowing that Yun would immediatly go to town with his frame trap mixups after the dive kick. That’s something to think about: Yun players seem to like pressing lots of buttons when they are close. So ex senpusha, ex kasatushi and ultra 2 are good punish options.

Thanks to: Vulcan Hades

General Info and Strats:

Juri

Pros

• Great footsies
  • Very strong pressure game
  • Good answers to projectile spam
  • Great comboability and solid damage

Cons

• Low health/stun
  • Poor wake-up options
  • Vulnerable to good rushdown

Character Specific Option-Selects and Wake-Up Options: by Hotaru

Here is a list of character specific wake-up OSs I know, I didn’t add OSs that lose to invincible moves like cr.lk[OS Sweep] but they could be added too.
I didn’t know before doing this list, but it seems tech’ed knockdowns can be delayed and mess with safejump setups, so the “easy sj setup” Store>Jump may whiff if the tech is delayed a lot.

Abel:
Jump-in [OS throw]. Doesn’t cover backdash.

Adon:
Fast wake-up.
Easy sj setup: Sweep>jump-in (no delay).
Safejump [OS Guard OS Senpusha].

Akuma:

Balrog:

Blanka:

Cammy:

Chun-Li:
Easy sj setup: Store > jump-in (no delay).

Cody:
Slow reversal (16f).
Safejump [OS cr.MK].

C.Viper:
Safejump [OS Guard OS MK Release].
Safejump [OS Guard OS EX Senpusha].
Safejump [OS Guard OS cr.MK]: [media=youtube]2XZYcHMalcY[/media]

Dan:

DeeJay:

Dhalsim:
Safejump [OS HK Senpusha]. Misses cross-up teleports.

Dudley:

E.Honda:
Jump-in [OS U2] (loses to EX Sumo Smash).
Easy sj setup: Store>safejump. (no delay).

El.Fuerte:

Fei Long:

Gen:

Gouken:

Guile:

Guy:

Hakan:

Ibuki:

Juri:

Ken:

Makoto:
Usual Safejumps lose to EX Karakusa.
Jump-in j.HP (high) [OS standing guard OS Senpusha].

M.Bison:
Slow Reversals (13f+)
Easy sj setup: EX Senpusha > dash > jump-in.
Safejump [OS jump] > normal.
Safejump [OS Guard OS EX Senpusha]: loses to EX Devil Reverse and misses a few TPs.
Safejump [OS cr.MK]: loses to EX Double Knee Press. [media=youtube]2XZYcHMalcY[/media]
meaty cr.lk > chain lk [OS EX Senpusha or Guard or cr.MK]: same as above. [media=youtube]XlxgTk9Wf_c[/media]

Rose:
Slow Reversal (13f).
Without U2.
Easy sj setup: EX Senpusha > dash > jump-in.
meaty cr.lk > chain lk [OS EX Senpusha or Guard or cr.MK]. [media=youtube]XlxgTk9Wf_c[/media]
Safejump [EX Senpusha].

Rufus:
Slow Reversal (11f).
Meaty cr.MK: Escapable with backdash.
Meaty cr.LK [OS guard OS EX Senpusha]>st.LK. [media=youtube]XlxgTk9Wf_c[/media]

Ryu:

Sagat:
Safejump [OS Guard + OS Senpusha].

Sakura:
Safejump [OS Jump].

Seth:

T.Hawk:

Vega:
Safejump [OS Guard OS MK Release (or EX)]

Zangief:

Notes: -When nothing is mentionned the OS covers every options.
-[OS Guard OS Senpusha] means you do QCB hold back (guards a reversal) then press the OS Senpusha. If EX isn’t mentionned you can OS any Senpusha, usually to catch backdashes.

DiveKick Safety By Deice

experimenting with dive kicks and how safe they are on block, since I haven’t seen any hard numbers on this. I really like dive kicks and am trying to figure when I can use them.

I recorded juri doing a HK dive kick with different spacing’s and tried what could punish it:

Perfect spacing (hits their toes)
Juri could jump out before Zangief reversal U1, so I guess that makes this ±0 frames.
Edit: Wrong info, the U1 actually whiffs. Chun’s super can punish, which makes it -2f (?) See my followup post for details.

Good spacing (hits lower leg, this would be the best I can do in a match usually)
Zangief could reversal SPD, and also jab. With Ryu I couldn’t land anything because it lands far enough that fierce SRK whiffs. I’ll call it -3f or -4f.

Bad spacing (Waist level or above)
Well, here stuff hits the fan: eg. Ryu reversal U1 hits, I’m guessing -11f or worse.

If you hit their head, they’ll have time to do pretty much anything they like.

Caveats: Numbers are obviously rough, since small changes in spacing alter the frame disadvantage.

The Good It seems perfect dive kick spacing is fully safe on block.

The Bad The perfect spacing is really hard to hit, if you miss it even a little, some characters with fast, far reaching moves can punish. Most can’t do anything though.

The Ugly A characters hitbox width changes depending on if they’re crouch/standing blocking, so the opponent can change the spacing. For Ryu the difference is minor, when he crouches the disadvantage changes like 1-2f, but Zangief can make a perfect dive kick against standing become bad, like penalty of 3f or more. And if you space it perfectly against crouching opponent and they stand up, the dive kick will whiff and they get a free punish.

So tl;dr; dive kicks can be safe on block, but its very character dependent how safe. It becomes a 50/50, they have to guess if you spaced it perfectly. The opponent can play with the spacing by crouch blocking, but would need a fast far move to punish it.

Obviously I’m assuming block here, if they put reads on you many characters can neutral jump, walk or just ultra your ass for trying. That’s my $.05, if anyone knows more please do tell, I’m very interested :slight_smile:

s.LP Option Select By Hotaru

I’ve found out that we can OS a full combo around the fact that st.lp whiffs or not, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. The execution isn’t too bad.
For example this execution:

cl.lk > st.lp > [cl.lk] > cr.mp > [cr.mp] xx Special move.

The [] inputs are inputs comming out if the st.lp whiffed. So either lk>lp(whiff)>lk>cr.mpxxSpecial or lk>lp>cr.mpxxSpecial

Since st.lp is cancellable with cl.lk it does a frametrap (I’m not sure how chains work, but if it cancels the whole lp recovery it’s a 4f trap). And st.lp chain cancels lk too iirc so it may be a bit less.

A good thing is that the oponent cannot stand up to throw during this close range frametrap because they “land” into the lp if they try to, so the only option is to try for crouch light but the frametrap will likely counterhit it. (Or reversal but it will be hard to perform since the lk window is small and it doesn’t allow standing up doing the motion).

The execution isn’t too bad, you “simply” add a lk right after the st.lp when doing the BNB lk>lp>cr.mp and hit twice the cr.mp so it comes out in both situation (or hit once on visual confirm, idk). You also have to delay a bit the Special cancel so it comes out in both situation.

So my questions would be: Does st.lp (whiff) > st.lk cancels all the recovery frames of st.lp? And would this frametrap or OS be worth using?

I set the training mode to counter-hit and couldn’t combo lk>lp(whiff)>lk, so the gap between blockstuns is likely 5f, it’s a bit big but still has a good chance of catching something on counterhit.

FrameTraps Theory Fighter By Deice

I felt I didn’t understand frame traps well, so I decided to do a writeup about them to clarify my own thoughts. Here it is, take it for what it is.

Some ideas copied from Frame Trap explanation from JoonTheBaboon
(He gives some arbitrary frame numbers, I just used those, same disclaimer applies)

So lets see what the opponents options are:

* Too early crouch tech: frame 0-2, their move comes out on frame 3-4 or later. Loses to throw.
* Early crouch tech: frame 3-6, their move comes out somewhere between frames 6-10. Techs your throw.
* Delayed crouch tech: frame 7-10, techs your throw and blocks early frame trap.

The idea of frame traps is to hit them during the startup of their crouch tech normal, which is around 3-4f startup usually (ours is c.LK, 4f startup). Lets see what our options are against those techs:

* Throw: beats no tech / too early tech / mashed normals.
* Early frame trap: hits around frame 4-6'ish, beats early tech. Delayed techer can block. Too early tech hits you.
* Delayed frame trap: hits around frame 8-9'ish, beats late tech. Early techers will hit you.

Relevant frame data:

* Move (startup, frame advantage on block)
* cs.LK (3f,+3)
* c.LK (4f,+2)
* c.MP (6f,-1) (far standing strong has same data, so can use interchangeably)
* cs.MP (5f,-4)
* cs.HK (11f,-4)

now lets look at Juri’s frame traps:

(startup - advantage = hit frame) - © means it a combo on hit.

* cs.LK, c.MP (6-3=3) (C) - c.strong hits at frame 3 at earliest. Early tech trap (and beats mashed normals too)
* cs.LK, cs.MK (6-3=3) (C) - hits frame 3. Early tech trap.
* cs.LK, cs.MP (5-3=2) (C) - hits frame 2. Needs to be delayed to be a tech trap.
* c.LK, cs.MP (5-2=3) (C) - hits frame 3. Early tech trap.
* c.LK, c.MP (6-2=4) - hits frame 4. Early tech trap.
* c.MP, c.MP (6-(-1)=7) - hits frame 7. Delayed tech trap.
* cs.LK, cs.HK (11-3=8) - hits frame 8. Delayed tech trap. Not too good because unsafe on block. Maybe in FSE so we can cancel?
* Couldn't find anything good thats slower (that hits frame 9).

Theres a fourth kind of frame trap, against opponents pressing non-invulnerable buttons during blockstrings:

* cs.LK, c.LK (4-3=1) - hits frame 1. Blockstring trap against normal mashing.

My personal favorite setup is delayed tech trap c.MP, c.MP. Mix this up with c.MP, kara-throw and your opponent is in for a harsh ride.

Reply with any thoughts / corrections please.

Also a thought I just had: isn’t kara-throw 4 frame startup vs normal throw 3f, since you need 1 extra frame for the kara cancel?

Some Useful Videos:

[media=youtube]V2vKM64BsSQ[/media] By Vulcan Hades

[media=youtube]kzmbHpsCMsU"[/media] By Kailkun

Spider lesbian? Not sure if approve :U

you have to, its what Juri is >:U

i’m rounding up all my previous posts regarding juri’s matchups, and re-writing them in your above format.

please quote them in their corresponding SPOILER thingies as you see fit. i’ll go post by post

GOUKEN

Matchup Stat: 5-5 EVEN

Why?

1. Juri and Gouken can both deal massive damage to each other as they can both push each other to the corner easily and keep them there – momentum = win.
  2. Juri has quick ways to infiltrate fireball zoning (reactive hk dive kick over fireballs), and Gouken has a good anti-air fireball game (mp/hp hadoken)
  3. Both characters fear knockdowns and wakeup game

General info

• Be careful trying to get in – he can’t win the fireball war just with his straight hadoken (lp) but he can use his mp or hp hadoken to deflect you from getting greedy and jumping or flying in with a hk dive kick (you can do this to Sagat but not Gouken right off the bat).
  • You’ll be fighting air-to-air a lot against Gouken since that’s where you can definitely win. so i recommend u2. Lure him into the air by not trying to approach him at all at first. Test his patience and if he goes for a demon flip trap with a hadoken still onscreen (it’s generally lp fireball), then you can jump at him with hk or mp to win air to air. Beware of air-parry though.
  • If you get sweeped or focus crumpled, big trouble. Juri knocked down is very bad news in all of her matchups but in case of Gouken, if you have close to 50% life you can DIE, anywhere near the corner, or off of backthrow + u1. Especially if you’re sweeped, you should default to blocking the demon flip mixup (you can dash forward under it if you’re still standing, but off of an untechable knockdown i doubt it’ll work). Thankfully he doesn’t have an overhead palm like Akuma but he has the kick, sweep, and throw. If you guess wrong on which side to block on a demon flip kick you will lose anywhere from 20 to 40% of your life. Sweep and throw options let Gouken maintain momentum.

Counters

• Parry: Bait and dive kick/throw.
  • Demon flip: From the ground, if Gouken does this while you’re still standing, walk up slightly and crouch to make demon flip kick whiff, start a hit-confirm combo from cr.lk. From the air, j.mp or j.hk will always win unless he parries. In this case, land and prepare to defend yourself as he gains frame advantage.
  • Blocked palm: cr.lp/cr.lk into combo, or throw (safer option)

• Bait > Actual offense at first. In any knockdown situation, techable or not, it’s important to bait a couple of parries and put the fear in him to never parry again. Once he guesses wrong more than once (he parries and you throw him, he doesn’t parry and you cross him up, etc.) you’ve gained an upper hand, if you haven’t won the round already. Juri can deal heavy damage in the corner, and most Gouken players are content not gaining ground since they can deal huge damage anywhere. they’ll walk themselves to the corner or you can easily push them, as long as you’re still on the offensive.

• Off of a mk/hk pinwheel combo, as long as you’re not at tatsu distance you can try neutral jump (near the corner) or empty jump (midscreen) to see if he parries immediately on wakeup, or parries when you get close to him. Once you see a parry = punish. if they parry immediately and you’re still in the air, ex dive kick + u2 time. VERY IMPORTANT! L2BAIT.
  • If you ate a fireball or otherwise need to catch up while Gouken is far away, stay patient, since you can hurt him pretty badly once you’ve cornered him and guess correctly on his parry attempts. same principle applies once you get close without getting hurt. Basically, at this point, as long as you don’t get parried and get flown off to full screen distance, pressure him while baiting parries.
  • Throw is your friend, but if you do get a forward throw away from the corner, be sure to catch up on distance with a hk dive kick while Gouken is still knocked down.

Most useful tools

• j.mp/hk for air-to-air
  • dive kicks to break parry/focus
  • u2 for damage

Tools to stay away from

• cr.mp/hp anti-air against demon flip – demon flip kick or air-parry will eat these alive
  • ex counter up or back – up can be punished by tatsu, back can be punished by palm. up-back is best

we need this thread to be sticky.

GUILE

Matchup Stat: 7-3 PRETTY FUCKED UP

Why?

1. All of Juri’s options to get past sonic booms are punishable (jump/focus dash forward/counter/reactive dive kick not close enough). In some cases punishable by sonic hurricane. At the very least flash kick.
  2. Guile wins the fireball war straight up – Juri must take risks in between sonic booms to get over the fact. (more on this below)
  3. u2 will never land, and u1 can be easily sonic hurricane’d or flash kicked if used without caution.

General info

• It’s difficult to hit dive kicks over sonic booms. It can’t be done on reaction, basically you had to already be in the air and make sure the sonic boom is not in your way (dive kick then run into sonic boom = embarrassing). Blocked dive kick is even worse, esp since if you were trying to go over a projectile, it’s def not done at an angle/distance where it can be safe on block.
  • Since bait/punish and applying pressure over knockdowns is the key, u1 is recommended. Still, be wary of how you use it.

Counters

• sonic boom: Read the below section on how to match sonic booms with fuhajin.
  • pokes: Backfist can be countered with a low poke (read the bottom section, this is super important). Guile’s cr.mp and forward hk are impossible to poke back, so don’t try, or you’ll eat counter hit damage.
  • sweep: block the first hit and ex pinwheel.
  • sonic hurricane: if you have the timing, ex counter and follow up with ex dive kick or just ex counter towards Guile to get behind him for punish. otherwise blocking is the best option.

• Bait > Actual offense. Always be on the lookout for a wakeup flash kick, bait it as much as you can.
  • An impatient Guile is a losing Guile. Don’t bother getting in at first, try to match sonic booms with fuhajin kick and mk fuhajin release, to see if Guile ever starts walking forward.
  • Trading projectiles is the hidden objective to this matchup. In the beginning, things will be stagnant, but if you have your fuhajin kick timing down on nullifying projectiles, do this with lk and mk, try to sneak in an lk release under a sonic boom, focus absorb/nullify that sonic boom, force guile to block (or throw another sonic boom and eat the fuhajin, this happens more often than you think). If you have ex meter, go for ex ground fuhajin, in this case you can just eat the upcoming sonic boom as long as you’re within distance to hit him with the ex fuhajin. Better trade on your end. Spacing on this is difficult to achieve, but I do recommend doing this at least once or twice during a round.

• cr.mk or sweep Guile’s backfist on reaction, and apply pressure afterwards (cr.mk should be followed by hk pinwheel). cr.mk footsies is pretty important – Guile’s cr.mk does not reach where Juri’s cr.mk can reach from max range. Can’t throw them out at the same time but you can visually counter it.
  • Meaty overhead on Guile’s wakeup is good, as long as you vary the timing to bait flash kicks. Plus, Guile will almost always hold down-back so overheads are often free. If they start blocking high then do a safe overhead (do it early enough for it to whiff and you can block) and attack low.
  • PATIENCE.

Most useful tools

• cr.mk
  • Overhead
  • ex ground fuhajin

Tools to stay away from

• ex pinwheel on block is punishable with flash kick or sonic hurricane, and if done on wakeup, Guile can trade/stuff it with cr.mp.
  • Dive kicks are easily punished by Guile if blocked at an unsafe distance. He can hit you with almost anything in the user’s manual.

*** anyone had any success using jfaps on Guile? please comment. ***

CAMMY

Matchup Stat: 6-4 to 5.5-4.5 CHALLENGING BUT DOABLE

Why?

1. Cammy somewhat suffers against zoning, but she gains tools with meter and ultra to counter it. Juri suffers from rushdown, and while she has ways to run away from pressure, they can be futile against Cammy’s throw game.
  2. No character in the game matches Cammy’s damage and stun potential dealt in a single combo midscreen. Juri cannot extend damage and comboability without holding lk fuhajin (and therefore giving up teching throws for the time being).
  3. Juri and Cammy are both pixie-sized, but both are extra vulnerable to character-specific combos.

General info

• Don’t make it a habit to constantly tech throws with each of Cammy’s ticks. It’s easy for Cammy to find opportunities for counter hits (which lead to big combos) or delay her throw.
  • You can’t mix Cammy up into blocking incorrectly for long before she decides to retaliate. Use u2 to catch up on damage and punish her blocked specials.

Counters

• blocked spiral arrows: Hit-confirm any quick normal into a big combo, or u2
  • regular cannon strikes: cr.lp/lk/hp teching up close, reaction j.mp into followups (only if predicted correctly. don’t trade in the air).
  • ex cannon strikes: Most often these will be from high in the air. Focus crumple into a combo.
  • blocked dp: At the very least, dash up sweep. If Cammy ends up behind you, it’s easier to hit confirm into a combo. You can also connect u2 several ways.

• Use cr.lp+lk+hp in case Cammy tries another cannon strike, to punish the attempt or trade in your favor.
  • Don’t fight Cammy. Let her fight you. It’s very difficult to safe jump/crossup/mixup Cammy, and she is always the one that has to try and get in for damage in any matchup. Don’t give her any chances. As soon as you start getting mixed up and taking damage, you may not come back.

• Get the fear of dive kicks out of your head (it’s not quite the same but Juri has one too). Don’t be scared of throws, either. Cammy has the shortest throw range in the game, so she has to make it up by walking up and distracting you with ticks. Juri does have a huge vulnerability against throws, but if you become confident with your defense, this shouldn’t be a setback. Go put on Dhalsim’s shoes. Work hard, be solid with your defense, and get wins.

Most useful tools

• cr.lp+lk+hp teching (use sparingly, can still lose to dp/delayed throws)

Tools to stay away from

• Preemptive normal anti-airs. Get ready to be cannon strike’d.

LOL guile vs juri should not be 7 to 3 imo. and you forgot to mention that you can EX pinwheel sonic hurricane because of EX pinwheel projectile immunity properties. and guiles double sweep is either a free EX pinwheel punish, lk pinwheel punish, or FA backdash. 7 to 3 really? 6 to 4 sounds more reasonable. oh! and J. faps stuff flash kick if done correctly on wake up.

you also forgot to mention that juri does not have an answer to cammy’s ST.HK. that poke will flat out beat all of juri’s pokes. and delayed TK CS fucks up cr.lk+lp+HP/mp teching.

lol some of this stuff is exactly the same as Cammy. pardon me.

RUFUS

Matchup Stat: 6-4 PRETTY HARD

Why?

1. Rufus somewhat suffers against zoning, but he has a few tools to get over it. Juri suffers from rushdown, and while she has ways to run away from pressure, they can be futile against Rufus’s throw game.
  2. Rufus is largely a simpleton that is very effective with his BnB combo, and ways to land it. Juri cannot extend damage and comboability without holding lk fuhajin (and therefore giving up teching throws for the time being).
  3. Juri and Rufus are extra vulnerable to character-specific combos.

General info

• Don’t make it a habit to constantly tech throws with each of Rufus’s ticks. It’s easy for Rufus to find opportunities for quick dive kicks.
  • You can’t mix Rufus up into blocking incorrectly for long before he decides to retaliate, however it is pretty easy to make him unable to block ambiguous jump-ins.
  • Imagine a fat kid that everyone made fun of back in middle school. Up until the very moment he decides to bring his dad to school (ex messiah kick. Rufus goes to church apparently), bully him as much as you can.
  • Try not to meet him in the air as much as other characters, as Rufus’s j.hp x 2 leads to DEATH, pretty much. Even with Juri’s j.mp, the trade won’t be in her favor.
    **- You need to zone Rufus out of Juri’s personal space (within any of her fuhajin release range) but sometimes fuhajin charge too close can be hit by a smart cr.hp on Rufus’s end. Watch out for this as you charge and hold fuhajin. **

Counters

• Blocked ex messiah kick: Correctly guess and block the followups to punish with a hit-confirm combo. If you see the sweep followup, you can ex pinwheel.
  • ex messiah kick flies over Juri’s head: If Rufus did any followups, dash up at the very moment you’re back in control and cr.mk into combo. If Rufus doesn’t do any followups, be cautious, but he’s within cr.mk range as soon as he lands.
  • In general, don’t look into countering what Rufus can do, as most of his shenanigan starters or specials used in them are safe.

• Use cr.lp+lk+hp in case Rufus tries another dive kick, to punish the attempt or trade in your favor. On Rufus, this also works on the ground if he tries to throw, as he cannot throw Juri’s cr.hp motion from his farther throw ranges.
  • If you catch onto the Rufus player’s pattern, you can reaction j.mp some of his dive kick attempts and deal fat damage. Due to this you will also have many chances to activate u1 and use it (recommended).
  • Don’t fight Rufus. Let him fight you. He is always the one that has to try and get in for damage in any matchup. Don’t give him any chances. As soon as you start getting mixed up and taking damage, you may not come back.
  • On the flip side, pressure Rufus until he gets meter, then change up your game to bait messiah kicks.

• Get the fear of dive kicks out of your head (it’s not quite the same but Juri has one too). Don’t be scared of throws, either.
  • I personally like to use u1, as meterless Rufus is pretty vulnerable to meaty overheads and it’s easy to hit j.mp against dive kick attempts. It tends to make ex messiah kick baiting quite a bit easier as well.

Most useful tools

• cr.lp+lk+hp teching (use sparingly)
    - meaty cr.mk to bait ex messiah kick (use sparingly when Rufus has meter but not ultra. also make sure you have life to sustain maybe 2 hits of ex messiah kick)

Tools to stay away from

• Preemptive normal anti-airs. Get ready to be stuffed with dive kicks.

*** Does anyone feel Rufus with u2 is a lot harder? ***

you definitely can use ex pinwheel against sonic hurricane at point blank, but ex counter is a safer punish. either way it’s pretty risky if you don’t have the timing down.

i did mention the ex pinwheel punish for sweeps, but i didn’t know lk pinwheel works too.

i still think it’s 7-3 or close to it, because against a highly skilled guile (i’ve often played with fuson909 and play with warahk regularly), all juri has at the end of the day is bait and punish. without mistakes on the guile player’s end, it’s too difficult.

i didn’t know that, but i guess it’s because i hardly try to poke cammy. i play lame as fuck lol.

i’ve seen delayed tkcs get stuffed by cr.lk+lp+hp teching – it’s active enough and i do say you should use it when you predict they’ll get off the ground. i guess there should be a disclaimer on these that says 3 button techs are not magic and you can’t do it on rhythm to beat every dive kicks.

I think meaty c.MK qualifies under “most useful tools” against Rufus. I don’t think he can do anything about it (except maybe an Ultra).