From Down-Back to Dash Ultra: An AE Dee Jay Guide for Beginners (Now updated for AE 2012!)

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE

his jump is 45 frames 4/37/4
his dash is 19 frames

back dash is 27 frames
-3 after FA1
+3 after FA2
2nd fastest walk speed
forward throw range is .85
back throw range is .87

Derp why didn’t I find this the first time I looked.

I am shamed.

This is an awesome guide, and I think you very much for writing it sir!

Cheers, Tik-Tok!

Just to let everyone know, I’ve added a new “Blockstrings and Pressure” section in the third post, as well as filling out the Punishes section a little more. Enjoy!

How can you make this thread stick at the top? It’s well worth it

i usually just message a mod to get something stickied.

Cool, do you know who the mods are for this forum?

Check the bottom of the main deejay page. Mods should be located at the bottom. I’m mobile so I can’t help you right now.

Good job MuayGio and everybody who help…I pick up alot of tips…

Nice. Stickied.

You should do a section for block strings and leave it blank with a smiley face :smiley:

i think deejays block strings are decent, youre generally not gonna get huge damage for catchin someone teching like sakura or yun or but you can make em respect you. only big damage is catchin a tech with ex mgu to u2

I’d love to know what your commonly used blockstrings are, Verify!

Edit: Cleaned up some typos and updated some information in the guide, btw. Still open to contributions!

Just wanna say that this is a awesome thread!! I am new to Shoryuken and will admit to being total newb to combos. just got a quick question concerning the j. mk combos, particularly #12, whenever i input the command for the mgu nothing happens, i know that it is an the operator error but i’ve been in the training room for hours…still with no luck, if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

This happens when you’re lax with down charge upon jumping in. You need to instantly be holding :d: the moment you’ve input :u::uf::ub: to assure that when you land you have enough charge to cancel into the special. The same with back charge. I’ve noticed I will miss a lot of super combos that involve sobat kick (the sobat will come out but the ultra won’t). I finally understood it’s because of my charge management. Maintain as much charge as possible (especially when you’re playing on joystick).

Exactly what 4th letter said. It’s really just a matter of training yourself to have the habit of holding back or down-back as soon as you leave the ground. It’s tricky to get used to at first but it quickly becomes second nature. Dee Jay already has quite a floaty jump and Combo 12 is one of the more lenient ones to practice this on, so keep at it and you’ll get it fairly soon!

If you’re unfamiliar with how long charge needs to be built up for, try starting by just standing next to the dummy, stick in neutral position, then crouching, building charge, and doing cr. MP xx HP MGU. Keep trying to reduce the time you charge for, until the HP MGU doesn’t come out. This will help give you a feel for how long you need to be charging before you can execute the move.

thanks for the help. OK i will try that, but i dont think my problem is with having enough charge, because I have been excluding the jumping attack and just doing the cr. mp into mgu i sit their just to make sure i have enough charge for like 5 secs but the mgu wont come out. Am i possibly hitting hp too fast? Exactly when should i do the mgu motion after the cr mp?

You want to be inputting the HP MGU (as in, flicking the stick up and pressing HP) as soon as the cr. MP hits. You have some leniency here, but not much. Don’t wait to actually register the hit with your eyes, you’ll be too late. By the same token, don’t flick up and input HP as soon as you press cr. MP, you’ll be too early. Just work on timing it. Remember, you are cancelling the cr. MP’s recovery frames after the hit by inputting HP MGU.

Hope that helps!

Great guide. Obvious a lot of work went into it and we needed a concise repository for all the basic knowledge spread out everywhere. A few things I think you should add:
Knee Shot is an amazing air to air.
You can space jump mk so that it crosses up on wakeup and either stuffs reversals or causes them to whiff. This is not an ambiguous crossup but is important to use to discourage the use of wakeup DP’s.