From Down-Back to Dash Ultra: An AE Dee Jay Guide for Beginners (Now updated for AE 2012!)

Hey All,

I’ve been wanting to see a more comprehensive but accessible breakdown of AE Dee Jay for a while now, and so I came up with this. It’s still being worked on, and I would love for everyone to have some input as well. I will be tending it and updating it if anyone has additions, corrections, or suggestions of any kind.

A couple of disclaimers: These are all obviously my opinions, and I don’t want to tread on anyone’s toes if they take issue with suggestions I have for Dee Jay beginners. Readers should know that a lot of the tips and knowledge in this guide is contested or subject to debate. This can only ever be a launching point from which to view the rest of the discussions on this board.

I have only listed combos I feel can and should be part of Dee Jay’s regular play. To that end, I have not listed sub-optimal combos, pointless variation combos or combos specific to very few characters. There are plenty of easy but sub-optimal combos for Dee Jay, but I am assuming a fairly decent level of dedication and execution skill. Nevertheless, I have listed alternatives to combos with 1-frame links, allowing for the fact that there are a lot of online players, and simply players not yet 100% comfortable with 1-frame links. I have also rated the combos in terms of difficulty, as having a learning curve is important to learning a new character.

The difficulties listed are personal to me, and are relative to Dee Jay as a whole. A combo rated 9/10 in difficulty might seem basic to a Viper or Sakura player, so please take these ratings with a grain of salt.

Without further ado, enjoy the guide!

Thanks and Credits

[details=Spoiler]
I wrote this on my own, but I need to thank almost everyone on the Dee Jay boards for elevating me, over a period of time, from a total scrub to an intermediate scrub. Special thanks go to JCool, Hatrify, Da Knut, Thunda, Icefuzion and 4th letter, from whom I’ve gleaned a lot of knowledge[/details]

Glossary

Spoiler

I use lowercase letters to denote directional inputs, two capital letters to denote a normal, and three capital letters to denote a special or unique move.

cr. - crouching
cl. - standing, at point blank range
st. - standing, and if the move has a cl. version, then st. represents the far version
j. - jumping
nj. - neutral jumping

LP - jab, light punch
MP - strong, medium punch
HP - fierce, heavy punch
LK - short, light kick
MK - forward, medium kick
HK - roundhouse, heavy kick

KST - Knee Shot
SBT - Double Rolling Sobat (dreads)
JCK - Jacknife Maximum (upkicks)
MGU - Machine Gun Upper
MAX - Air Slasher (max out)

U1 - Sobat Festival
U2 - Climax Beat

FA(x) - Focus Attack, charged to level 1, 2 or 3
FADC - Focus Attack Dash Cancel
(CH) - counter hit

Other terms:
Command Throw - Any unblockable throw move with inputs other than LP+LK. Command throws are immune to throws on startup, and thus cannot be teched. They also usually deal a lot of damage. Examples are Zangief’s Spinning Piledriver, or Abel’s Tornado Throw.

Counter Hit - A move will gain the special “Counter Hit” property when it hits the opponent during the startup of his move, or more rarely, in other situations (such as the recovery of Dee Jay’s MAX). Moves that Counter Hit deal 25% more damage and cause more hitstun. In the case of normals, this means that Counter Hits usually open up new combo possibilities. Inducing the opponent to make an attack in order to predict and counter hit it for a big combo is one of the most advanced skills a Street Fighter player can learn.

Cross Up - A jumping attack where the jump starts on one side of the opponent, but hits on the other. This requires the opponent to switch blocking directions to avoid being hit.

Crouch Tech - Inputting a throw while crouching in order to counter an opponent’s throw. If your opponent did not throw, this will result in a short coming out, referred to as a tech short.

Footsies - This term has no technical meaning, but is generally meant to describe a situation where characters are at mid-range, and are using normals or specials with long range (such as cr. MK for Ryu) as “pokes”, to try to beat the opponent’s attacks. Combos are rarely a part of footsies, positional advantage is the more important goal here (although there are notable exceptions).

Hitbox - All moves have a hitbox and a hurtbox. The hitbox is the area where an attack is capable of dealing damage to the opponent (programmed to look like a square, and invisible during gameplay.) A hurtbox is the area where the character can be hit during his attack. Moves with an extended or large hitbox but a retracted or small hurtbox are best.

Meaty - An attack your opponent will perform on your wakeup with an aim to having frames of the attack active when you first become vulnerable to attacks, preventing you from doing anything but blocking. An important part of wakeup pressure.

Mix Up - Another term with no technical meaning, but is generally used to describe situations where you force the opponent to make extremely rapid decisions about where to block (high, low, or cross up block), or whether to tech, with the ultimate aim of making your opponent guess wrong, which results in damage for you. A classic mix-up is Ken’s EX Tatsu, which on block leaves the opponent facing a 50/50 mixup: Ken can either SRK or kara throw, and now the opponent must decide which option he thinks Ken will go for, and react accordingly.

Safe Jump - A jump that is timed such that the last active frame of a jumping attack coincides with the first frame in which your opponent can act, on your opponent’s wakeup. This means that the jump-in is “safe”, that is, your opponent cannot beat it out. The only options he has are blocking it or avoiding it (with backdashes, teleports, etc.) This is extremely difficult to pull off without specific set-ups, since different characters have different wakeup speeds and reversal options. As a rule, if your opponent has any reversal that comes out in 3 frames or less (like Ryu’s SRK), it will be impossible to safe jump that opponent.

Techable/Untechable Knockdown - Most knockdowns are techable. This means that you can tap up or three buttons when you hit the ground to stand up again more quickly, also known as a “quick rise”. Some knockdowns, including most sweeps (cr. HK for most characters, cr. MK for Dee Jay), most throws and command throws, and almost all Ultras, are untechable, meaning you will stay on the ground for longer. This gives your opponent time to set up his offence, and is generally advantageous.

Zoning - Another term with no technical meaning. Originally used to describe the strategy of attempting to keep an opponent in a specific “zone”, that is, an area of the screen. This can be mid-range, long-range, close-range, on the ground, in the corner, etc. It has now come to mean any sort of defensive, keep away play, especially if it involves copious fireballs and anti-airs. Characters which are recognised as good zoners include Sagat and Dhalsim, although I would say that Zangief’s ability to walk opponents into the corner is a powerful form of zoning in and of itself.

About Dee Jay

[details=Spoiler]It’s a good idea to go over some basic passive facts about Dee Jay, before we get into what he can actually do.

Dee Jay has 1000 Stamina and 1000 Stun, putting him at the dead midpoint of the cast, on par with standards like Ryu and Ken. This fits in with his “jack of all trades” kind of character build.

Dee Jay has a very good walk speed, which helps him a lot in his footsies, an area sorely needing help.

Unfortunately, Dee Jay’s dashes don’t fare as well. They have decent distance, but aren’t particularly fast, and simply feel clunkier than the dashes of the rest of the cast.

Dee Jay’s jump is quite “floaty”, and much slower than characters like Blanka, and he does a full flip during it. In terms of horizontal and vertical movement, it’s more or less average, moving further horizontally than Adon, for example, but less than Gen.

Dee Jay’s throw is quite mediocre. It deals the least damage in the game (besides the twins’ forward throw in AE), at 120 both ways, and has a very short range. The forward throw puts the opponent a character width or so away, and lets you set up some nice safe jump options, while the back throw puts the opponent at around 3/4 screen, and is best used to restore distance for zoning.

Dee Jay’s hitboxes are a fairly standard shape, and although you’ll find some combos may sometimes not work correctly on him, this is quite rare, and your opponents will generally not need to worry about their combos in the same way as they would against a character like Blanka or Sakura.[/details]

Before the Match Starts

[details=Spoiler]
There isn’t much to keep in mind concerning Dee Jay’s costume and personal action. I prefer Alt. 1, Colour 3, but Dee Jay’s not one of those characters (like Cody’s combo glitch or Blanka’s ridiculous third alt) where the costume will have a gameplay effect.

As far as taunts go, I choose no. 5, because I think it’s cool and not too disrespectful. Dee Jay doesn’t have any “useful” taunts like Adon or Cody’s fireball avoiding taunts, so this is an almost entirely aesthetic choice. If you want to piss your opponent off, for fun or for mind games, go for no. 9. It never fails.

Finally, pick your Ultra Combo. There is a dedicated thread to Dee Jay’s Ultra choice, and it ends up getting talked about in a lot of other threads too. For the moment, assume that you’ll be picking Ultra 2 unless there’s a very good character matchup reason to pick Ultra 1. An obvious example is T.Hawk, where U1 punishes all blocked Condor Dives (except EX). However, even in this case it might not be the best option, since you can bet T.Hawk will know you can punish Dives this way, and in any case Dives are punishable by HK sobat.

Overall, U2 deals more damage, is effective as an anti-air, and can be comboed into frequently. U1 has longer range and limited fireball passing capacity, but is otherwise very mediocre. You can even focus the first hit of U1. Some say it is technically possible to link U1 off of EX MAX on hit, but this is the stuff of tool-assisted combos.

AE 2012 brought an intriguing change to Dee Jay’s U1. It is now cancelable from a Super. This has the potential to deal a massive amount of damage (571 raw damage), but its real appeal lies in the ability to easily combo into Ultra as long as you have super stocked. With the AE buff to st. MK, it’s now ridiculously easy to work MK or HK SBT into all of your BnB combos, so canceling into Super has never been so easy. Another, possibly more important advantage that people are discussing lately is the fact that it’s a true blockstring, and deals huge chip damage (up to 200 for the full combo starting with LK SBT) (thanks to Jcool). This might prove to be useful in closing out matches, although applications are yet to be thrashed out. [/details]

Basic Strategy

Spoiler

What is Dee Jay’s basic game plan? This is a more difficult question than with a lot of other characters. You know what a well-played Ibuki or Dhalsim looks like, but there is a lot of debate over the “correct” way to play Dee Jay. I will just give a basic overview here, with the caveat that for the purposes of this guide, solid knowledge of Dee Jay’s fundamentals will always be a precursor to working on a unique, unpredictable and effective strategy with Dee Jay.

Dee Jay has the capacity to zone fairly effectively. His fireball is decent, his air-to-air and ground-to-air tools are good, and he has flexible mobility options with EX SBT and KST. Most Dee Jay players begin each round by zoning the opponent to about three quarters screen distance (this is heavily dependent on matchups, though.) Once a knockdown has been achieved, usually through an anti-air or cr. MK, Dee Jay generally likes to go on the offensive, using KST and j. MK to create mix ups, using SBT and cr. HK to pressure at mid-close range.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that Dee Jay’s damage output is really quite good. A lot of his normals have top-shelf damage for similar moves, such as his j. HK (130), his cr. MP (80), his st. MP (90), or his two-hit st. MK (110). His SBT now deals decent damage following the buffs in AE 2012, now dealing 90/110/130, on par with the rest of the cast. His HP MGU does more meterless damage by a long shot than any move that isn’t a command throw (192). Thus, Dee Jay isn’t a character reliant on long combos as much as short, sharp exchanges.

Getting your opponent into the corner, as with most characters, is one of Dee Jay’s goals. DJ’s EX MGU combos get better in the corner, and until you learn dash Ultra, this is how you’re going to be landing most of your Ultras. Dee Jay has great corner carrying tools, like his EX SBT and his MK JCK into HK JCK anti-air juggle. Use these to your advantage. Also be aware that Dee Jay’s back throw puts the opponent a lot further away than his forward throw.

Remember that Dee Jay is a reactive character. Compare him to Makoto, who will always rush down, even against an extremely effective rush down character. Or Dhalsim and Guile, who will almost always zone defensively, even against another defensive character. Take a page out of Bruce Lee when thinking about Dee Jay: When the opponent expands, you contract. When the opponent contracts, you expand. When you’ve become a top-level Dee Jay you will find that when there is an opportunity, you won’t be hitting, it will hit all by itself. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anti-Airs

[details=Spoiler]
Dee Jay has a great anti-air game, and one of the most commonly cited frustrations of playing against a good Dee Jay is the feeling that the opponent “can’t jump”. We want to compound this impression as much as possible. Here are some basics:

LK JCK has a fantastic hitbox and will beat out almost any aerial attack. it deals great damage and auto-corrects extremely well. It’s an excellent guard against crossups. You will be using this a lot, it’s your basic anti-air. LK JCK also has the most invincibility frames of all the JCK versions.

MK JCK is what you’ll use when you’re sure that both hits will connect on an aerial opponent, after a particularly predictable jump-in. If they do, then you can juggle with HK JCK for 170 damage and fantastic corner-carrying. If you only manage to hit with the first hit of MK JCK, then you can follow up with a juggle MAX or with cl. HK for good damage.

cr. HK is Dee Jay’s slide. It’s great for opponents jumping over your fireballs or otherwise jumping with an aim to land a little in front of you rather than point blank. If your opponent lands deep enough, he will enter a juggle state where you will be able to juggle with U2. If you manage to land it as a counter hit, then you can juggle with MK JCK instead, if you have no meter.

cl. MP and st. MP are good anti-airs, but require a lot of character specific knowledge. You’ll need to go into the training room and really work on the timing as well. Once you do, though, you’ll have good success with them. st. MP is especially promising as an anti-air following the AE 2012 buffs, with an extended hitbox and the ability to cancel into a MAX for extra damage (thanks to Jcool)

st. HP is a mediocre anti air. It has some applications, but I usually avoid it unless you have no charge (say, if you’re walking backwards).

cr. HP is a useful situational anti-air. In certain match-ups, such as against dive kick characters like the twins and Cammy, and against Adon’s jaguar kicks, it can beat out these air attacks without your needing to preserve charge. (Thanks to Shakka, Thunda and Da Knut for the tip)[/details]

Footsies

[details=Spoiler]
Dee Jay has a lot of difficulty with footsies, but he has some good normals to fall back on, and if you stay at a specific range, you can really mitigate the worst of Dee Jay’s weaknesses. I’m just going to go over some of Dee Jay’s most commonly used footsies moves. Unlike many rushdown characters, Dee Jay’s footsies game is really quite reactive, so I won’t try to give generic strategies. You need to learn each and every matchup, and discover the range you need to be at during that matchup, as well as what moves of yours beat what moves of theirs (which is basically the blood and bones of footsies)

st. MK is one of Dee Jay’s furthest reaching normals. The normal itself moves him forward a little (you can actually do a microscopic kara throw with it if you really want). It’ll be a useful spacing tool and deals great damage if you get the two-hit version.

cr. MP deals fantastic damage and has a really deceptively extended hitbox. It also cancels into all of Dee Jay’s specials, and tends to beat out quite a few other footsies moves. As such, you’ll be using it quite often.

st. MP has been buffed in AE 2012, and it now allows you to cancel it into any special move, as well as having an extended hitbox. This may mean that it turns out to be a useful new footsie tool, as it allows you to hover around middle range and buffer a sobat into it, hoping to catch an opponent’s standing poke. Remember that this will not hit crouching characters using low pokes, so its applications are specific and relatively few. However, it might be worth keeping in mind if you find yourself being frustrated repeatedly by one standing poke.

LK SBT is, at the appropriate range, one of Dee Jay’s best footsies tools. It has invincibility to low moves and causes knockdown on hit. Although it’s no lunge punch or scissor kick, it’s fairly safe if spaced correctly (except against Guile). Be aware that it can often whiff if your opponent is using a low move that also lowers his hurtbox. This isn’t usually a huge deal, since you’ll often also be invincible to their move, but it can be a nasty surprise.

Knee Shot (KST) is an important part of Dee Jay’s footsies game. Although instant KSTs won’t usually hit crouching opponents (keep this in mind!), if you delay just a fraction of a second, KST will hit crouchers, and probably result in a 200+ damage combo, or even more if you achieve a counter hit. Use this to go over low pokes. Unless your opponent has really excellent reactions, it will be difficult to anti-air on reaction, so it’s a good example of low-risk, high reward.

cr. MK continues in the vein of low risk, high reward. It’s one of the quickest sweeps in the game, and is one of the only moves Dee Jay has you can get away with throwing out a lot speculatively. Of course, as with all of Dee Jay’s gameplay, you CANNOT spam this move if you want to win.

cr. HK is slow as hell, but can be a great counter to a lot of your opponent’s mid range footsies tools. Try it against Ken’s step kick, or against long range lunge punches and jaguar kicks. It’s difficult (impossible against some characters) to keep safe on block, so again, learn the matchups.

cr. HP is useful in Dee Jay’s footsies game as an “anti-poke”. It’s got a huge hitbox which extends deceptively far forward, so if you think you’ve got a good read on your opponent’s footsies, this is an important part of your arsenal at a range few of your other normals reach. (Thanks to Shakka, Thunda and Da Knut.)

EX SBT comes out very fast and has good fireball invincibility, and the second hit sends the opponent flying towards the corner. This move is useful against shotos who use fireballs as a mid-range poke, and in longer range zoning games if you have lost the life lead and need to get in quick.[/details]

Wake Up

[details=Spoiler]
One of Dee Jay’s biggest weaknesses is his wakeup game. There’s a simple reason for this: he has no reversal that hits low. Dee Jay’s main reversal, his Jacknife upkicks, will whiff on crouchers, allowing for a big punish. This, combined with his slow jab and throw tech short, and mediocre backdash, severely limit the number of good options Dee Jay has on wakeup. You will need to make excellent reads to escape unscathed on wakeup.

My basic rules are:

-You will usually not be able to beat most crouching meaty attacks. If you predict this, then just block. A possible exception to this is **EX MGU, **which actually has some pretty decent invincibility, and can pick up a few meaty attacks. Experiment in Training Mode to see which specific pokes you want to beat and how.

-If you predict a command grab or a standing attack (e.g. an overhead), then you could go for a MK JCK (Sometimes HK JCK is a better option, since on whiff it will take you further away, possibly limiting the punish options of your opponent).

-JCK will also beat throws, but I recommend you tech if you predict a throw, since if you mess up you will be punished less for a blocked or beaten tech short than for a whiffed JCK.

-If you are SURE that the opponent will go for a command throw or grab ultra, then you could neutral jump for a big combo, but remember that although the startup of jumps is unthrowable, it’s very vulnerable to anything else.

-The only good part of Dee Jay’s wake up game is that he has relatively little to fear from ambiguous cross-ups due to his auto-correcting JCK. It is still possible to safe jump Dee Jay, though, and some character’s cross-ups will still give him problems, so be careful nonetheless.

-People have been talking a lot lately of using** EX SBT** as a sort of poor man’s EX Psycho Crusher, to get out of trouble fast. This tactic has several deficiencies, namely EX SBT will not go through opponents like Psycho Crusher, the recovery is much worse, and the invincibility isn’t as good either. That said, it does have invincibility, and causes very good horizontal movement. It’s useful if you are being successfully vortexed by Ibuki or Akuma, although you need to watch out for Akuma’s Raging Demons if you EX SBT out of trouble.

-It’s also good to keep in mind that EX SBT is simply a fast reversal move with invincibility, so it will beat out a lot of normals on wakeup. There isn’t yet consensus on when and where this tactic is best used, so keep reading the boards.[/details]

Knee Shot Combos

Spoiler

Knee Shot is, in my opinion, Dee Jay’s most important move. You will be using these jump-ins a lot as your main offensive tool when at mid-close range.

1. KST, cl. LP, cl. LP, cr. LP, cr. MK = 160
This is the combo you want to do if you want an untechable knockdown off of knee shot, an important element of starting your crossup game. The standing jabs do more damage than crouching jabs, but are a little more unreliable depending on the character matchup. Feel free to switch to cr. LP, cr. LK, cr. LP, cr.MK if you’re having problems. Difficulty: 5/10

2. KST, cr. LP, cr. LP xx HP MGU = 210
One of my standard BnBs, this combo is good damage and is relatively easy. Just remember to cancel the second jab. It can be easy to get into the rhythm of waiting after the second jab, given that so many of Dee Jay’s other combos require him to do so (cr. LP, cr. LP, cr. MK; cr. LP, cr. LP, st. MK, etc.) Difficulty: 7/10

3. KST, cr. LP, cr. MP xx HP MGU = 260
This is in the higher tier of Dee Jay combos, along with number 5 and number 23, further down. You should see these as your final goals in terms of Bread and Butters, since they include one-frame links. This is a higher damage version of the above, and the most damage you can deal meterless off a knee shot. Connects on most characters, but check beforehand as HP MGU can be finicky. Difficulty: 9/10

4. KST, cl. LP, cl. LP, st. MK xx HK SBT = 217
Another of my standard knee shot combos, the standing jabs add more damage than the standard crouching jab. It’s easier to link st. MK than cr. MP in conditions of lag, and if you’re not 100% confident with 1-frame links. When deciding between this and number 2, consider that this has more corner carrying capacity, but leaves the opponent standing.
Difficulty: 6/10

5. KST, cl. LP, cr. LP, cr. MP xx HK SBT = 230
Offline, this is my Knee Shot BnB. If your one-frame links are feeling good, this is the second highest damage meterless combo you can do off a knee shot. It’s a tough combo, using one 1-frame link and one height switch so you’ll need to practice, although in my opinion, the timing for this combo is easier than the all-crouch variant. Difficulty 9/10

6. KST, cr. LP, cr. LP, cr. LK xx MAX = 137
I’ve included this because this is the combo I will switch to if I can see that my knee shot, or my first jab, has been blocked. This should be fairly safe on block, builds a decent amount of meter and does some chip. It’s also dead easy, so you can use it (or the same combo ending with LK SBT) in serious lag conditions or if you’re having a really off day. Otherwise it’s a sub-optimal, low damage combo. Difficulty: 3/10

7. KST, cr. LP, cr. LP xx EX MGU, MK JCK = 203 (1 meter)
Standard medium damage one meter combo. This is the most damage you’ll deal off a knee shot with one meter, usually. There’s precious little reason to do this instead of combo 2, though. You can sometimes replace the second cr. LP with cr. MP and still connect, but it’s unreliable. Difficulty: 7/10

8. KST, cr. LP, cr. LP xx EX MGU, EX SBT = 258 (2 meter)
One of my standard high damage BnBs when I have meter to spare. quite easy, good rewards. Difficulty: 5/10

9. KST, cr. LP, cr. LP xx EX MGU, (dash) U2 = 414 (1 meter)
This is your standard combo to get Ultra off of a knee shot. To do it midscreen, you need to dash after the EX MGU, which is famously difficult, although it has gotten easier in AE. This will need practice. Difficulty: 9/10 (5/10 corner)

All the above combos are possible with j. MK and j. HK. For the former, add 40 damage. For the latter, add 80. Also you should be aware that if you land a counter hit knee shot, you will be able to link cr. MP or cl. MK. This doesn’t lead into many combo opportunities, since you will not have charge, but one notable exception is:

10. KST (CH), cl. MK, cr. LP, cr. MP xx HK SBT = 283
This is far and away the most damage you can deal off a knee shot without meter, but this is a difficult combo to consistently pull off, and requires a counter hit. Difficulty 9/10

j. MK Combos

[details=Spoiler]
J. MK is important because it is Dee Jay’s excellent cross up. It also deals very good damage (90), and has a decent hitbox. You can also use j.MK when jumping away from opponents at point blank range. It will hit standing opponents this way, and should be standard practice when trying to jump out of a grappler’s command throws (just be careful with Zangief’s U2).

The below combos deal more damage because you’re using moves such as cr. MP or cl. MK, but remember that they’re much more difficult to hit-confirm than moves using light attacks, so unless you have godlike reactions, these are riskier combos.

11. j. MK, cr. MP xx HK SBT = 274
This is a dead easy combo, probably the easiest I’m including in this guide. The only real reason to use this over 12. is if you value corner carrying more than the extra damage and knockdown. Difficulty: 2/10

12. j. MK, cr. MP xx HP MGU = 317
If you hit with j.MK on a jump-in, this is the most damage you can do meterless. You will be doing this quite often. Difficulty: 2/10

13. j. MK, cl. MK, cr. MK = 216
This combo will work on almost all depths and angles of cross up j. MK, and is therefore useful in some character matchups. Difficulty: 4/10

14. j. MK, cl. MK, st. MK = 248
Same as above, more damage, no knockdown. Sometimes, against characters like Bison, you will be able to do j. MK, cl. MK, cl. MK, st. MK. This means happy times. Difficulty: 3/10

15. j. MK, cr. MP xx EX MGU, MK JCK = 308 (1 meter)
As previously noted, this actually does less damage for more meter than combo 12, and is considerably more difficult. Only use this when you really need the corner-carrying, or (more likely), when you thought you were going to follow up with EX SBT (as below), but realised halfway through you didn’t have enough meter. Difficulty 6/10

16. j. MK, cr. MP xx EX MGU, EX SBT = 374 (2 meters)
This is the classic high damage cross-up combo. You’ll be using this a lot, as it’s easy to pull off, deals a lot of damage, and you’ll be finding a lot of openings for it. Difficulty: 5/10

17. j. MK, cr. MP xx EX MGU, (dash) U2 = 533
Another classic Ultra combo. Not really much to say, it’s the highest damage combo for Dee Jay (beyond doing the same combo with j. HK). Difficulty: 9/10 (4/10 in corner)

All these combos are possible with j. HK, add 40 to all damage if this is the case.[/details]

Crossing Up and the "Vortex

[details=Spoiler]Crossing up is one of Dee Jay’s most important tools, and now that we’ve covered KST and j. MK combos, we know the two main tools Dee Jay uses to create his dubiously infamous “Dee Jay Vortex”.

Getting the Ranges Right

As a basic illustration of the concept, go to Training Mode, and select Ryu as your dummy. Now, get to the range where your standing jab JUST whiffs on the dummy (who is also standing). Once you’re at this range, jump towards your opponent. At this point, you have two options. If you input KST, you will hit the front of your opponent, and land in front. If you input j. MK, then you will cross up and hit the back of your opponent. This is the bare bones of the cross up mixup: your opponent must decide which direction to block not based on your distance when you jumped, as is usual, but based on whether or not you input KST. This is the power of moves that alter jump trajectory, and the reason KST is one of Dee Jay’s best moves.

Now for a different, albeit similar technique: the ambiguous j. MK. Return to the training dummy and get to the range where a standing short would just miss. This works whether Ryu is standing or crouching. Now jump towards your opponent and input j. MK. If you do this several times, you’ll notice that often you’ll hit on one side or another, seemingly erratically. This is the exact range for me where j. MK becomes most ambiguous. Tiny movements backwards or forwards here could make you cross up or not, or even cross over (my term for when you hit on the facing side of your opponent, but land on the opposite side.)

It will take a long time to get used to knowing by sight the range where you will cross up ambiguously or not, but be aware that this is the range which will give your opponent problems. It doesn’t matter so much that you don’t know which side you’re hitting on; if you hit with j. MK, you can follow with cl. MK, cr. LP, cr. MP xx SBT, which will give you enough time to charge from scratch. Or alternatively, you can just use a normals combo, like combo 1, as noted below. What matters is they don’t know what side you’ll be hitting on.

What Next?

Once you have successfully crossed up with a j. MK or KST, you’re also in the lucky position of having access to extremely easy combos (such as combo 1)leading into cr. MK, an untechable knockdown. This means that you can cross up again! This is the essence of Dee Jay’s so-called “Vortex”, and one of the easiest ways to frustrate your opponent.

A note on cross overs: you will sometimes find this happens with j. MK, or even more rarely, with KST, but it’s very difficult to replicate reliably and is character specific. Basically, for me it’s a bonus when it happens, but I don’t waste resources trying to force it.

Other Mixups

Here’s one last trick I’ll point out before we move on. I wrote above how you should be careful with KST, since doing an instant KST will whiff on crouching opponents. Now it’s time to use this to our advantage. When attempting a tick throw, you will probably have once or twice have contended with the fact that if your jump-in is blocked, you cannot immediately perform a throw. If you haven’t, try this in training mode now. Your throw will whiff if you input it immediately after the jump-in is blocked, during the opponent’s blockstun. This means you have to wait a fraction of a second to throw. Because of the nature of jump-ins (the recovery frames of jump-ins are cancelled by your landing), all of them work this way.

However, Dee Jay is one of the few characters who has a jumping move that will whiff on crouching opponents at point blank range. This means that AS SOON as he lands, he can successfully input a throw, because the opponent is not in block or hitstun. If your opponent is doing a lot of crouching, this is a great way of throwing him off guard. But as will all of Dee Jay’s tools, use it sparingly. Remember that you are still whiffing a move at point blank range, and that always carries risk.[/details]

FADC Combos

[details=Spoiler]In my opinion, FADC isn’t a big part of Dee Jay’s game. That said, it certainly has it’s applications, and it’s worth exploring here.

Dee Jay has a mediocre focus attack, with a deceptively short range and average damage. It is sometimes useful when FA1 is used as a counter-poke, especially since a lot of characters have little trouble out-poking Dee Jay. Otherwise, it will see the standard uses (absorbing full-screen fireballs for Ultra meter, using FA3 for punishes, etc.)

DJ’s FADC is generally used with HK SBT. It’s also possible with MGU and MAX, but these deal less damage before the FADC without offering any real benefits. You will occasionally use MAX FADC when trying to set up an offence based on following a MAX, but this is relatively infrequent.

You will sometimes use FADC to make a bad SBT safe on block. More often, you’ll use it in a combo. Something like this:

18. cr. MP xx HK SBT FADC cl. MK, cr. LP, cr. MP xx HK SBT = 343
This is one of the higher damage combos you can perform off a SBT FADC. Notice that this combo deals around 20 damage more than an equivalent 2 meter combo off of cr. MP, for example combo 16. Whether it’s worth executing this much more difficult combo for the extra damage is up to you. In lagless conditions, it’s technically a more optimal combo, but you won’t be able to perform it off of a cross up. Difficulty 9/10

Another option off an FADC is to try to obtain another untechable knockdown, e.g.:
19. cr. MP xx HK SBT FADC cl. MK, cr. MK = 265
The damage off this combo is not great, and although achieving an untechable knockdown is a worthy goal, in my opinion it’s rarely worth 2 meters, when you could just be executing combo 1. Difficulty 8/10[/details]

Standing Combos & Punishes

[details=Spoiler]
Above I’ve outlined some of the best combos that are possible for Dee Jay, classifying them by what jump-in they’re possible after. Any of these combos can obviously also be accomplished from a standing position, and for the purposes of this section, when I name one of the above combos, assume that I mean it to be the same combo without the initial jump-in attack.

The most common standing combos you will use will be the ones starting with crouching jabs, such as 1, 2, and 3.

Remember that you need to be point blank for MGU to fully connect. If your opponent whiffs a normal and you’re too far to start a jab chain into MGU, then 1 is often a good idea, also cr. LP, cr. LP, cl. LK xx LK SBT, although this knockdown is not untechable. Alternatively 11 is a high damage option.

When punishing, it’s usually best to do the most highly damaging combo you have. This is usually something like 11, but with j. HK. With meter, you can do 15 with j. HK, or just do raw ultra if you can.

Another possibility for a full punish is a focus attack. I recommend:

20. FA3 (dash) cr. HP xx HK SBT = 296
This is quite easy, just make sure you start charging as soon as you input the dash. Difficulty 4/10

Sometimes you won’t have time to do a jump-in or focus attack. This is one of the times cr. HP is useful. I recommend:

21. cr. HP xx HK SBT = 210
Good damage, easy to do. Difficulty 1/10

22. cr. HP xx MK JCK, HK JCK = 248
Better damage and great corner carrying, but more difficult, and your opponent must be standing. Difficulty 6/10

Remember you need to be point blank to cancel cr. HP into specials.

Finally, sometimes you won’t have time to charge and be able to cancel cr. HP into a special straight away. When this is the case, you can just pull off a quick and easy normal combo like 1 or 13. However, if you have confidence in your links, try this:

23. cl. MK, cr. LP, cr. MP xx HK SBT = 245
This combo gives you enough time to charge if you only start charging when you input the cl. MK, so it can punish a lot of things, although you do need to be point blank for this combo to start. It’s very difficult though, so practice before hand. To me, this is one of the aspirational combos for Dee Jay players, and a good way of charting your progress. Go back and look at some of your matches, and you’ll often find occasions where you punished with cr. mk, a throw, or a slide, where you could have punished with this combo and at least doubled your damage output.

Dee Jay has a harder time than most other charge characters operating without charge, so having this combo locked down will really open up your mobility options and let you walk back and forth a lot more readily. Difficulty 8/10

The 2012 changes have made st. MP a special cancelable move now, and it’s worth writing out the most common combo you’re likely to see with this move:

24. st. MP xx HK SBT = 220

Using JCK or MGU to cancel from a standing move like st. MP is simply too much work for the reward, and MAX has a tendency to be too slow to actually combo from a successful st. MP, so by far the most common new combo you’ll see is this one. This can be useful as it’s easy to buffer and can give Dee Jay’s opponents something to fear as Dee Jay is walking backwards. Difficulty: 2/10[/details]

Counter Hit Combos

[details=Spoiler]
Landing a counter hit cr. MP is quite common with Dee Jay. In this situation, I recommend:

25. cr. MP (CH), cr. mk = 170
Easy, simple way to get the knockdown. Timing can be a little tricky. Difficulty 4/10

26. cr. MP (CH), cr. LK xx LK SBT = 202
Better damage, but knockdown is techable. Difficulty 4/10

Another notable counter hit normal is st. HP. This will cause a great juggle state in the opponent, allowing anything from EX SBT to full Super. If you can set this up consistently, you will be rewarded. [/details]

Corner Combos

[details=Spoiler]
Dee Jay has good damage in the corner. The main difference to Dee Jay’s combos in the corner are that he can now follow up an EX MGU with either two MK JCKs (more damage) or nj. HP (spike knockdown), and it’s much, much easier to land U2.

Note the odd fact that Dee Jay operates slightly differently depending on which corner he’s in. In the left corner, his cross-up properties are slightly different, allowing for more ambiguous KST and j. MK cross-ups. Use this to your advantage.

27. j. MK, cr. MP xx EX MGU, MK JCK, MK JCK = 385
This is a very easy combo, and fantastic damage for only one meter. You will get a lot of mileage out of this, so have fun! Difficulty 5/10 [/details]

Pressure and Blockstrings

[details=Spoiler]Dee Jay’s pressure game is severely hampered by the fact that most of his moves have ass startup. Not endowed with any 3 frame startup moves apart from his standing jabs, and having crouching shorts with 5 frame startup, he has a lot of trouble applying any sort of point blank pressure. A lot of Dee Jay players don’t use much pressure as part of their strategy, and this is a valid decision. That said, it’s important to know that Dee Jay DOES have pressuring tools, to know the shortcomings of these moves, and to know how to utilise them correctly. Below I go over some of his most often used pressuring tools.

LK SBT is one of Dee Jay’s primary pressure tools. It causes knockdown, a decent amount of damage or chip, and has low invincibility. It is most effective when used at mid-close range, where the attack would hit at the tip of Dee Jay’s foot. At this distance, it is almost completely safe, with the notable exceptions of Guile’s Flash Kicks, and some of the quicker Supers, such as Ryu’s or Chun Li’s. You will find yourself with plenty of opportunities to use this move effectively, and at least for me, it dictates the range I want to be at with Dee Jay in the majority of my matchups. You will sometimes feel like using this move like a (very) poor man’s scissor kicks; keep in mind that this move has a very slow startup, and if you use it too often, it will get beaten out by a DP or command throw.

MK SBT generally follows the same principles as above. It has longer range and does more damage, but doesn’t cause knockdown on hit, is more difficult to space safely, and has no lower body invincibility. Accordingly, you’ll be using it less, on average.

cr. HK is Dee Jay’s slide, and this move can also be remarkably safe on block thanks to the recovery buff in AE. Again, you have to space this correctly for it to be safe, and this is even more difficult than with the Sobats. It also has a very, very slow startup, so it’s vulnerable to being beaten out. When used correctly, it can be a fantastic way to close the distance on opponents, cause knockdowns, and even go under close range fireballs. Against players inexperienced with the Dee Jay matchup, you will have a lot of success using cr. HK on block to bait out a counterpoke, which can often be beaten with LK SBT, EX SBT, or, if you’re feeling gutsy, Ultra.

**EX SBT ** has the most invincibility of any of Dee Jay’s moves, and as such it will be useful in the pressure game. At mid-close range there’s no way of spacing this safely on block, so you will have to make reads to use it effectively, if you don’t want to burn FADC meter to make it safe. This move will see a lot of use when you predict a close range fireball or react to a mid-range fireball, and if you use it well, the threat of this move can effectively make your opponent stop using fireballs as a poking or pressuring tool.

Blockstrings
Dee Jay’s blockstrings are best used when a jumping attack or other point blank attack has been blocked, and their goal is to put Dee Jay back at a distance where Dee Jay is both safe and able to effectively attack again, building some meter along the way. Remember, Dee Jay is not a character like Yun, Balrog or Bison, all of whom have completely safe point-blank pressuring tools. If you’re at point blank range with Dee Jay and you’re not in the middle of doing a combo, you are under pressure by default.

A good example is the Zangief matchup. In this match, you’ll want to be doing most of your damage from well outside of Zangief’s LP SPD range, which is enormous. When you’re in Zangief’s LP SPD range, he has a huge threat hanging over everything you attempt. However, Zangief will be doing his best to get you in close. When you are, one of the better options you can try is this:

27.(KST), cr. LP, cr. LP, cr. LP, st. LK = (124) 84
Performed correctly, this should be an airtight blockstring designed to get you out of Zangief’s LP SPD range. It won’t build much meter or do any chip, but it’s well worth it. This blockstring will also work almost all of the time against other characters as well. It would be ideal to use standing jabs in this blockstring, but they have a nasty tendency of whiffing on crouching opponents, so I wouldn’t recommend it. Difficulty: 2/10

Given how poor Dee Jay’s footsies and pokes are in terms of speed and priority, using blockstrings to put you safely at a distance where you can mount your offence again effectively is an important skill to learn. You cannot just throw out random jabs whilst backing off.

An important note 2012 added to Dee Jay’s blockstring game is the addition of Super into U1. This is a true blockstring, and does 200 damage if prefaced with LK SBT. Using this tactic requires a whole different play style and mind set. You need to be more frugal with meter, and much better at hit-confirming into Super. Most importantly, you need to be aware of how your opponent’s behaviour will change when he knows he can’t block any of your attacks without taking 200 damage. Reading this can win you a lot of matches.[/details]

Further Reading/Viewing

[details=Spoiler]The forums are awash with information about Dee Jay, and it’s well worth your while to go through the Matchup thread and the video thread, as well as the Dash Ultra thread to find out more on how to execute that tricky maneuver.

Top Dee Jay players to watch out for in videos include Akimo, Pikotan525, Heijoutei, Mighty Kurokiba, and Hatrify. Disclaimer: I’m not saying these are the best Dee Jays out there, just that they are appearing in a lot of easy-to-find videos lately. Visit the Video thread to find out more.[/details]

AE 2012 Changes

[details=Spoiler]
Above I’ve updated all the damage figures to reflect the AE 2012 buffs Dee Jay received. These modify the combos involving Dee Jay’s non-EX SBT combos. I’ve also inserted some additional comment on his Ultra options in “Before the Match starts”, and some additional comment on st. MP’s uses as an anti-air and footsies tool. Dee Jay also received some other minor changes (improved hit detection on MK SBT, for example), but nothing major. All the comments on the 2012 changes were made relatively soon after 2012 was released, and thus are subject to change and update as the new metagame emerges.[/details]

Damn you beat me, nice guide sir.

nice compilation about dee jay

few notes, if u dont mind
i dont agree about great DJ AA-game, good opponent rarely jump on u if saw u in “down back position” , so u cant use upkick like guile flashkick

dee jay normal AA very situational
for example st hp - no range
cl mp - need close to opponent
cr. hk - big startup, and easy to punish

u can add cr.hp or st.hk like AA, but this moves have same problems

i think cr.hp is very good move in footsie.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your comment, shakka!

I’ve spoken about Dee Jay’s anti-air normals being situational, but I’ve tried as much as I can to be positive about Dee Jay’s abilities (obviously without distorting the advice.) Even at top-level play, Dee Jay’s anti-air abilities come into play, if only for the reason that opponents don’t jump BECAUSE they know Dee Jay can anti-air effectively.

From beginners through to advanced players, Dee Jay will be getting a lot of his damage from anti-airs. I do agree that the utility of moves like LK SBT decreases as opponents are smarter about jump-ins, but responses along the lines of “good players will know how to counter strategy x, therefore it’s no good” is descending into theory fighter a bit too much for the purposes of this guide.

I’ve never really used cr. HP or st. HK as anti air. I know the latter was buffed as an anti-air in AE, but I still find (to quote Jcool) that you need to be predictive rather than reactive with it.

As far as cr. HP for footsies goes, I don’t generally use it, but I can see how that might be useful. If you write a little bit about why you use it and in what situations it’s most effective, I’ll add it to the guide and credit you!

I love cr. Hp. It’s really great to atleast garuntee a trade. I like to use it against those high ass priority shoto jumpins. It’s awesome for dive kicks cause it has alot of active frames and hits at an angle that some of his other AAs dont…

Good shit. This thread was definately needed. And cr.hp is needed as an AA in some matchups. It’s great against Bison’s jumpins, Gief, beats dive kicks and it AA special moves ( air tatsus, air jaguar kicks, Cannon spikes etc)

Cr.Hp is also a good footsies tool. It’s one of the best Anti pokes in the game.I hate that Capcom made it hard to cancel special moves after cr.hp.

Thanks guys! After reading what you’ve written and spending some time in the lab and doing some casuals against a local Bison, I’ve now updated the guide with information about cr. HP. You are credited.

is cl lk a viable anti air? ive gotten a few people with it if they are somewhat close

Big time respect for taking the time to making this thread and not leaving it with a bunch of “coming soons” in there. I think a good thing maybe to add to this thread is any safe jump set ups, information on how to correctly make cross ups ambiguous w/ j. mk, and any dirty tricks people care to share (unless you’re saving it for nationals where you’ll get beaten in pools by a bad match up anyway lol). Again your time is greatly appreciated for this.

Cheers, 4th letter. I would be happy to update the guide with information on safe jump set ups, but if I’m honest mine are a bit rusty. I know there’s some involving cr. HP after an untechable knockdown, but I can’t recall them correctly. If you can point me in the right direction I’ll happily add and credit you for it.

I’m working on the ambiguous j. mk cross up section, should be up later today.

EDIT: Cross-up and “Vortex” section is up. Also updated the glossary with a list of terms used in the guide that might intimidate newcomers. Regular readers probably know all the terms, but feel free to check it out, if only to correct me! Enjoy!

Thanks MuayGio, directly from an Italian DeeJay;)

E come lo sapevi che ero italiano? Mi credevo nascosto cosi bene! Cmq sono lieto che t’e piacuta la guida!

Great guide! Will definitely use this to improve my Dee Jay skills!

Some additional Corner Combos:

j.HK, cl.MK xx EX AS > cr.LP xx HP MGU
j.HK, cl.MK xx EX AS > cr.LP xx HK Sobat
j.HK, cl.MK xx EX AS > cr.LP > cr.MP xx HP MGU
j.HK, cl.MK xx EX AS > cr.LP xx EX MGU, MK Jacknife, MK Jacknife
j.HK, cl.MK xx EX AS > cr.LP xx EX MGU, nj.HP

Thanks so much for your contributions, tenshoxx. I went through your combos in training mode, and let me say straight off that I’ve never used EX MAX in the corner, so I was happy to see it get use. That said, there were some problems with the combos you wrote. Here’s what I found:

j. HK, cl. MK xx EX MAX, cr. LP xx HP MGU = 398.
This is a great combo, but the standard j. HK, cl. MK xx EX MGU, MK JCK, MK JCK will do 425 damage for the same amount of meter. In order to put it in the guide, I’d need to know a reasonably common situation where this combo would be a superior alternative to the standard corner combo. I can’t think of one, but if you can and write it in, I’ll happily add the combo to the guide and credit you.

j. HK, cl. MK xx EX MAX, cr. LP xx HK SBT.
This combo actually doesn’t work, as far as I can tell. I believe you can only cancel an LK SBT off a jab, so HK SBT gets blocked. Even with LK SBT, this combo suffers from the same relevance issue as the above combo. Again, if you can think of a situation where this combo is a realistic alternative, I’d be more than happy to add it.

j. HK, cl. MK xx EX MAX, cr. LP, cr. MP xx HP MGU.
I couldn’t get this combo to work on the two dummies I usually try (Ryu and Chun), and when I tried it with a bigger Hitbox (Zangief), I didn’t achieve full lock on the HP MGU combo finisher. This seems at best to be a really character specific combo, which I stated at the beginning of the guide I didn’t want to catalog, since that would clutter up the guide. If you can show me in a video this combo getting full hits on a few common character sizes, then I’d be able to evaluate the combo a bit better in terms of damage and viability.

j. HK, cl. MK xx EX MAX, cr. LP xx EX MGU, MK JCK, MK JCK =438
This combo works and it does a little more damage than the standard jump-in corner combo mentioned above. However, I think it’s debatable whether 13 extra damage is worth a whole extra super meter, especially given the difficulty of this combo compared to the standard corner combo. That said, I’ll put this up for debate with the rest of the boards: If you think this combo is viable and something you’d consider using in competitive matches, please let me know and I’ll add it!

j. HK, cl. MK xx EX MAX, cr. LP xx EX MGU, nj. HP = 417
I’ve mentioned the nj. HP finisher for corner combos, in terms of it being a trade-off between more damage and a spike knockdown. Personally, I prefer more damage, since the spike knockdown is techable. However, I’ve included it because it can be useful in mind games. That said, this combo is very similar to the one above, and suffers from the same issue: is it worth one extra meter to get an extra bit of damage (15 in this case)?

Other Edits: Just letting everyone know I’ve added a section detailing the passive characteristics of Dee Jay (jump arc, walk speed, health and stun, etc.), as well as adding a brief discussion of FADC with Dee Jay. I’ve also cleaned up the language and formatting a little bit and added some words to the Basic Strategy section. Enjoy!

You are right, it´s not HK Sobat, but LK. Tbh i am only using the first two once in a while. Those combos are more in the showoff department than being useful in a regular match. I just posted them, cause i thought the “Corner Combo” section looked blank :stuck_out_tongue:

I was wondering if there was a place to fine some more technical data about DJ so we can add it to the guide such as dash and jumping frame data. This would help setting up meaties and such.

I totally second this. There’s frame data for Dee Jay on the SRK Wiki guide, but it’s for Super, not AE. I would really love to know where to find up to date frame data for Dee Jay, there’s a lot more I could do in the guide if I had this, like compare Dee Jay’s normals more accurately to other characters.

Does anyone know where we can find this?