Frequently Asked Questions Thread

Not sure if this is where to ask but what do y’all think is the probability of 3rd strike making it onto ps4?

Useless but fun fact, certain hits of Chun’s SA2 don’t cause chip damage, so you can redparry certain parts and you’ll still have 100% health. :V

Probably as much as Darkstalkers making it to PS4…never say never, but don’t get your hopes up.

You had to bring up Darkstalkers… The pain in my heart is doubled now. Guess I’m sticking to fightcade or snagging a ps3 when it gets cheap. :frowning:

Just play it on an older system. CRT or bust.

I’ve been trying to kara-throw with Q and I do get one out from time to time but I’d like to know if it’s possible for the naked eye to see when the characters start moving forward so that I can know when to press lp+lk.

no you cannot.

So it’s basically pure instinct?

Part-instinct, part-judging the proper ranges for kara throws.

You just know how the input feels. It’s not instinct, just practice the timing of it. It’s almost like pressing all 3 buttons at the same time but not quite, just a hair slower on the throw.

Chun-Li question: if I do cr. lp + lk to cancel in SA2 it can be considered a option select? If it hit then will confirm in SA2. If not, a crouch tech will happen if the opponent try to grab.

Not a confirm, but yeah that qualifies as an option select. Probably not a good one though, since

1. the opponent can just block it
  2. SGGK

What is the best way to have more chances in each strength of a special move? While I write this comment I double tapping for low and pianoing for medium and heavy moves. Is this right or should I double tapping for all and let pianoing only for super arts?

Don’t understand the question.

Please rephrase it.

I think he means trying to get the timing to cancel into a special move? Since button strength matters for specials (and some supers)

I just can’t think of any time where would be necessary…

I did this album to illustrate my question.

If you want lp flash you press lp. If you want mp flash you’d press mp. Hp for hp. There’s no pianoing here because you are choosing the strength of what special you want to do.

Hey, I’ve been playing some 3rd Strike on FightCade again recently and noticed a couple issues that I experienced while playing.

1. Performing fireball/uppercut motions feels quite difficult on my controller (xbox360 controller)
    It feels like the “Down-Towards” input is very hard to hit, the deadzone before the input is insanely big. I pretty much have to grind the edge of the joystick to hit this input.
    Is that because of my controller?
    This also makes blocking low difficult.

I had the same issue when I tried out Guilty Gear for the first time. (this made me not try to learn GG all together actually).
For the record, I did try GG on a TE2 fightstick, so I doubt it was the deadzone of the controller for “Down-Towards” in this case.

Like, I just can’t point my finger at why this is.
I don’t want to have to move my joystick all the way to the edge on down-towards to make an uppercut work. That shouldn’t be the case imo.
Is 3rd Strike (and GG for that matter) simply that precise with their inputs?

1. How in the world are you supposed to block Urien’s reflector setups?
    Are they simply unblockable? I find it really frustrating to play against Urien :frowning:

Which setups with Urien are you talking about? The midscreen one you can block but it’s tricky to do because you have to alternate directions depending on what is hitting you when. You most likely need to parry depending on which setup they’re doing on you.

I assume from your post that you’re using an analog stick since you are mentioning dead zones. you should likely use an arcade stick or if you’re going to use pad, use the d-pad. I have no idea what mechanisms 3s (or any other games) use to decide what analog inputs translate to, but I suspect analog stick is always going to be the least accurate control method available.

if Urien puts Aegis on you in the corner and mixes high vs low, you just need to block the attacks correctly. if its an unblockable setup, you have to parry or block out. there’s a couple videos out there about how to do this. Ryan covered it roughly a week ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_Q_9CYjQw

also it’s easy to screw up parrying out, and if I’m not mistaken Uriens can mix it up so that you have to guess how to parry. so maybe sensible advice is “try really hard not to get hit by the things that lead to unblockables.”

I figured so. I’ve been told a couple times to get a stick for 3s or use a D-Pad.
Too bad the D-Pad on the Xbox 360 controller is probably just as bad as the analog stick.
Maybe I’ll try out my SNES controller for it. That thing is in godlike condition.

With SF4 and SF5 they probably made the deadzone a lot more forgiving (like several other things) for pad users, since they are the majority of players worldwide.
Guess I’m a bit spoiled.

I don’t have the timing for quick rising down yet, so no surprise that I find myself in these situations a lot.
3s in general feels more mix up based than the later games to me (at least SF5, havn’t played SF4 in a while).
I guess that makes sense, since you have parries and no glorious 8 frames of input delay lol.

One quick question btw.
Regarding tick throws, if for example Akuma does a standing short and uses that for a tick throw setup, can I not use low short/jab to blow this attempt up?
I don’t know if my timing is wrong, but I can’t seem to do normals to block these setups like in SF4 and SF5. I’m left with teching or jumping.