Fighting against the Ninja Glade: Ibuki Matchup Thread *11/5 Update*

I did a few sets against two different Bisons the other day. H Kazekiri pretty much shuts down his stomp and can be used to kill his normal spam. I have to watch the replays again to see if there was any other useful information.
For now I have the overall tendency to abuse of EX Kazekiri to get out of pressure against any character. I even had an Ibuki mirror where the opponent was so pissed off about that he just started throwing Kazekiris repeatedly LOL

As someone who plays both, it feels like Ibuki can’t do shit about Chun. When I’m using Chun, I destroy Ibuki. When I’m using Ibuki, I get shat on by Chun (and really everyone else). I’ve been at it since she was out, but Ibuki won’t click for me at all. It makes me really fucking sad because she’s a ton of fun, but I just lose and lose and lose. I learn setups and combos and anti airs and which pokes are her least shitty, but I don’t ever improve.

I’m feeling down on ibuki right now. Not because her range is to short, but because I inexplicably get all my pokes stuffed by other characters in situations that seem like ibukis should win. Like I can see my moves animate and look like they go into active frames… But still get stuffed. It’s like magic.

Idk if I can use a character where my eyes are constantly lying to me. Seeing my cr.mk go through other characters nearly at point blank range is frustrating. I have hypothesis why this happens (the priority system making trades go to the high damage normal, hurtboxes being really dumb, it being online and rollbacky, take your pick) but it’s unfun to play against.

Sf5 in general is pissing me off because it feels like characters have to bet the farm to go for a hitconfirm. You go for a confirm, you literally have no pressure left. On a pressure/mixup character like ibuki that DOESNT have the greatest jump in the world, it feels dumb and without thought. It’s a fighting game designed to hold players ability back in all but a few circumstances.

Karin, Dhalsim and Cammy all have the same health so she’s not really a glass cannon in the traditional sense. You need REALLY low health to be a true glass cannon and 900 in this game still allows you to take more hits than true glass cannons in other games. Until they create an 800 or 850 health character I don’t think there are any true glass cannons. She just falls under the typical low health set of characters that can’t take as many stray hits without dying.

Birdie I would imagine s.HK and V Skill would be two of your better tools. s.HK can stuff a a lot of standing buttons and is perfect vs Birdie since he usually pesters mostly with standing buttons that it can hit and crush counter. He may occasionally switch to a lower hitting button like a c.LP or c.MK to beat it, but you can just kinda play a game with him to gauge which buttons hes preferring. Just have to know to time/space s.HK well since like most of her buttons, it has a wide hurt box before it becomes active. Basically try your best to throw it at max range when you feel Birdie will hit one of his big buttons.

V Skill is the best big button beater she has and her gameplan is based around building V Gauge for the bombs so you’ll want to make sure you work on your spacing/timing with the v skill to stuff his big buttons and get gauge. Large hurt box that’s susceptible to crush counters before its active, but once its active it beats just about any button since its a projectile and relatively safe on block.

I feel like vskill should give vtrigger meter when it nullifies projectiles, and fully charged v.skill should be at the very least + on block. That thing is difficult to hit with. Hell i would be ok if it would cause a guard break lol

Ibuki has some bad buttons and some good buttons, you have to focus on s.LK, f.HK, cr.HK and cr.MP imo, everything else is just meh for neutral game. Her s.MP has some weird range when punishing whiffed normals but thats it. s.MK is amazing as a whiff punish because of target combo. Also, cr.MK is good just when you are on range for it to pressure.

The buttons are great when she is already in though. Almost all of them are plus on block, super fast, and there are good combo options, like s.MP>s.LK>raida/kazekiri, overhead>s.LK>Raida/kazekiri, cr.LK>s.LP>Raida/kazekiri and cr.LK on counterhit > s.MK target combo

That said, her LP normals are some of the worst in the game…

As deviljin said, v.skill should be an important button, but it is so risky to use! im working on ways to implement it right now.

Her v skill is a mixed bag. Very easy to cc cause of its long startup along with lack of range. Also easy to make wiff. Doesn’t give THAT much v trigger for how hard it is to use. As the game goes on I only really see it being used in blockstrings… Maybe after ex kunai is blocked in blockstring etc.

Unfortunately all those buttons mentioned above aren’t very good. Fhk is slow and gets beat on startup and on block gives away our turn. Cr.mp has 0 range, sweep is, well sf5 gimmick bad shit. -12… Yeah let’s do that and lose 450 hp for trying to hit with a 100 damage move… Risk reward for sweeps is abysmal. Only seeing them being used moderately because people aren’t used to punishing as hard as possible. As the meta advances you will consider yourself lucky to only eat a counter sweep on block.

Like, all those pokes can one really be used as ranged counterpokes. Try and walk forward and make them offensive and they just die.

The only real hope I have is kunai game. I’m having a decent amount of success in this game with jumpin kunai more than I did in sf4. Oh yeah, people walk under her jump all day. Not even worth going for crossup till you can train them them to think the kunai is coming.

More time needed.

Agreed with gaining v meter for absorbing fireballs. Was pretty surprised and disappointed that it wasn’t the case.

I’ve played a few matches now where I went in with the set goal of trying to build my v-gauge as fast as possible (mostly so I can just get used to doing bomb combos in a match). Oftentimes by the time I hit them with enough v-skills + CCs to build that lvl 3 v-trigger they are close to death to not really need the bombs anyway. :confused: I am starting to doubt whether it’s realistic to build to max v-gauge without having to eat 1-2 combos.

Like many of you, I’m also getting a little discouraged. I understand SF5 hit box system is strong attack will be out weaker ones (Hp vs Mp= Hp wins) but her Cr.Mp is the only one with range and I get beat out all the time. I’m gonna test out HK online today to see if I can put it into my game plan.
Think another issue in having is her jump ins as well. Half of the cast can anti-air with a light attack. I’ve been hit out of a cross up!
It’s not all bad. Her ex-Raidu is great with fire balls. And her F-HK seems to come through for me

You’re not explaining the priority system correctly. The strongs beats lighter attacks only on TRADES. If both attacks collide at the same frame, priority comes in. In anime games trades create a clash where both characters can recover and act again on same frame. This game has a system similar to 3S or KI where if both attacks trade, the heavier attack wins. Which means real trades can only occur with same strength buttons.

Heavies and mediums dont always outright beat lights though. You have to get the trade to win. If you try to beat a s.MK with a heavy button as a counter poke, you’ll still lose and get beaten. You will have to to start it early to force the trade. Her pokes do have issue as far as raw priority goes, but i still believe that’s because she’s meant to counter hit and whiff punish into pressure games. She’s not meant to play raw buttons game of characters like Chun or Nash. A lot of her buttons when they do land can lead to combo or pressure and she has faster walk speed than pretty much all the other rush characters. Just have to be confident to walk in and tag someone with counter hit s.MP or whiff punish with s.MK and target combo dash in.

Ibuki has always never been a good jump in character without use of her kunais. She’s always naturally had a long, floaty jump that’s not conducive for it (similar to 3S/IV/V Chun). Even in 3rd Strike you wanted to jump in with a target combo (which could still get parried down) or EX kunais which had enough frame advantage to be safe against air parry. In SFIV her jump was also long and floaty which also made her not a very good jump in character. Unless you were mixing up with kunai throws you weren’t jumping in with her. She just wasn’t built to regularly jump and cross up. Mainly due to her always having a grounded cross up option with her 3S dash or SFIV/V command dashes.

I do agree that not having an amazing jump is an issue because with the games 8 frame delay and how good jumping is in general in this game, it pays to be able to disrespect footsies and jump in sometimes. Pretty much all of the strong/best characters have a strong jump in game or at least something that can act as an aerial pressure move (like Chun IALL). Although considering EX kunai is probably the best meter based jump in in the game and she has strong options to move in or cross up on the ground, probably doesn’t need any better of a jump in game.

Ibuki is not bad lol. You guys need to get better at playing her, i have been training hard to overcome matchups, you all cannot expect to beat people that have been playing their character for a year with your newly released character… and even then i have been doing it after of understanding when to use and not to use ibuki normals. I reccomend using ex kunai L a lot, that thing is ibuki best frame trap.

Also, i have been succesfull with jump ins, you can jump in in this game just stop being predictable. Everybody has an antiair, the trick is to jump in for situations when the other player is not ready to anti air your Ibuki. AND ibuki air kunai L is great when you believe they will anti air you. Finally, yesterday i discovered that Ibuki has stupid confirmable crossups after of a knockdown late wakeup-crush counter sweep with air kunai L!!! It is hard to execute but it exist.

You’re getting the actual kunai to cross up? That’s interesting. Should make a video.

Oh and has anyone heard anything about a glitch with her V Skill? CDjr mentioned he heard something about it on FB, but I haven’t heard

This game hasn’t been out a year… And I understand the match-ups just fine and I don’t plan on dropping Ibuki ever. But it’s just when u square her up with what she can do with what your opponent can do, you start seeing her flaws.
At one point someone compare her Health to the other rush down characters like Karin and Cammy. They can pack on more damage then Ibuki. It may sound like I’m whining, but I really like how Ibuki turned out in the game. She really needs a few tweaks to become a monster.
I’m more of a visually learner. Since your Ibuki is doing fine, I wouldn’t mind getting some matches in.
Fighter ID MIYOvsTheWorld.
I’ll take on anybody. But I would like to test my Alex against Ibuki

People played the betas. I have been running vega since november 2015 and other characters were released much earlier.

Sure buddy im online now, my id is serpentaurus, if you are online send an invite

@miyodarius

I’ll be on in 10 mins just got off work

Well back on topic, have anybody their own personal match ups (it maybe too early but. I feel like Chun-li, Birdie, Necalli, R.Mika, Ken are 6-4 in their favor

Alright send the inv i will be waiting. I believe there will be a maintenance in about 45 mins so get online fast enough

Alex is definitely a bad matchup for ibuki lol his buttons, damage and health make him a tough nut to crack for Ibuki.

I hear people with shorter buttons tend to struggle against Alex. Theoretically if/when you do get in it should be his ass. Especially with one of the slower V Reversals.

Yea but the same could be said about a lot of characters. Ryu & Necalli - great normals, ok health, high damage. Chun-li & Karin- good normal, good damage. V-Trigger Bison & Birdie - great damage, safe reversals, good health
I even guessing wrong once against Barlog and R.Mika can cost her the match

Not being too negative, do think Gulile, Nash, Larua, and Fang favor Ibuki’s match up

And the only reason Alex can take on Ibuki so easily cause his standing Light punch destroy any attempt to jump in and Cr.Hp takes out her Neutral jump. So she is forced to take on his long range normals