Fighting against the Ninja Glade: Ibuki Matchup Thread *11/5 Update*

Even FANG feels like a chore to take down god i suck

Use s.LK xx Kazekiri instead then.

I think he means s.lk has poor range to punish dash punch

st.lk misses only VERY well spaced punch.
its free to punish most of the time, lk hits far

I feel like Birdie is a terrible match up

His normals largely outrange and outdamage in the neutral

and his simple confirms take >30% off. vtc + super = easy confirm 75% health gone

Anybody have any tips?

Feels like ibuki’s the glass cannon of SF5

Yes she is… I play against a very poke happy birdie player, and ibuki literally can’t through out buttons… use vskill, approach with air and ground kunai. He can’t really do much about spaced air kunai or ex. He can’t even armour through…

Your assessment of Chun is so off lol. B+hk is a good antiair when dealing with divekick chars (like Necalli) cause of the active frames. Not only that, when you’re in vtrigger you can convert into 200+ damage (depending on how much meter you’re willing to spend). Also the reward from landing 1 st.lk mixup is insane. I’ve perfected the st.lk mixup game to the point where not even top players are able to see and react, they have to just guess which side and hope they get lucky. When it lands she gets to go into a SBK combo, which brings me to my next point:

As far as pressure goes, Chun wins by far. Any combo ending in SBK, you can dash dash and be at least +2 in their face (more on backroll). Giving you a true mixup (meaty/throw/airlegs/etc). After that mixup lands, you’re in the same situation. The only thing that doesn’t give a true mixup is landing a throw, but that’s the same for Ibuki. And even then, at least Chun gets a semi decent mixup out of it (dash forward is 0, so on chars without 4f normals she has a mixup). Even just the dash forward or meaty fwd.mp mixup is strong, because it’s hard to react to the dash. Ibuki doesn’t have this, throw resets her basically to neutral.

Ibuki also doesn’t get much out of her BnB combo’s ending in LP Raida. She puts herself so far that it’s hard to confirm into anything meaningful, unless your opponent is an idiot and just mashes jab and gets counterhit on the first meaty. Also instant throw doesn’t work on half the cast, so you have to walk forward + throw, which leaves you open to getting jabbed. It’s not even a true 50/50. The only legit pressure Ibuki gets is in the corner, and again, Chun’s corner game is just much stronger cause she can always be + by pressuring with fwd.hk/kikokens/etc.

1 st.lk anti air from Chun can seal rounds… can’t say the same for Ibuki.

In short, Chun has better buttons, better midscreen/corner pressure, better vreversal, better reversal (EX SBK recovers faster, harder to punish), better post combo pressure, gets pressure out of super, etc.
But yes, with meter, Ibuki does more burst damage, and has mixup potential with bomb and resets is greater than that of Chun’s obviously.

But it’s not far to compare Chun with Ibuki, Chun is just leagues ahead :confused: And she’ll probably be leagues ahead of any new DLC char that gets released for that matter lol

I’ll have to see this one s.LK that steals rounds thing. The problem is a lot of Chuns (even high level ones) don’t even have the execution or pressure game to make that happen. I don’t think any US Chun has visually shown that and I don’t even think I’ve seen much of that from GO1. I’ll take your word for it though. Personally I’d prefer to have buttons with better hit boxes that do more damage for AA. Being able to reliably land an anti air that does more than 40 damage is nice.

The corner carry on s.MK to target combo is too strong to worry about LP raida combos much IMO. Long as you can counter hit, raw confirm or buffer it you’re basically getting much more reward than you would off a LP raida combo. More damage, better corner carry and better post combo mix up.

Better EX reversal??? Eh, well it is a bit harder to punish, but not impossible and I personally put more stock in a motion reversal than a charge reversal. Charge reversals can be taken advantage of (plenty of times where I thought I had charge for EX SBK and then just get counter hit) and can’t be used on a dime like a motion reversal. V Reversal…I’m guessing Chun’s is faster, but I also personally prefer V Reversals that knock down. I don’t want Mika standing up after I V reversal her. Don’t feel like that gives much of a break from her.

Ibuki without resources can still land hits and gain momentum pretty well (just I don’t think people have done all the right things for that yet), but especially with resources it looks like she’ll be another Necalli where the entire match can turn around. Chun barring really crazy execution I don’t think can really do the same and doesn’t do well enough vs zoning to get that regularly either. Leagues ahead of Ibuki? We’ll see I guess.

I won’t derail the thread more with this though. We’ll just agree to disagree on some things although I do agree with the potential of s.LK if you have the pressure down that well. Still think she has a lot of potential, but we’ll keep this to Ibuki matchups vs other characters at this point.

How do you guys punish Balrog? I faced 3 balrogs today and 2 of them were pretty much worthless but the third one was almost untouchable for some reason. I felt like i was able to punish all the dash punches etc. with s.mp but this didn’t work this time around (out of range / blocked)

Sighs I play against a defensive all the time now thats his main. With this match up you will have to maintain a close distance at all time… you can control the pace of the match with your kunai and ex kunai.

The reason I said stay a close distance is bec of your vskill St.lk and cr.mk…

Good balrogs will always want that space to do safe rush punch, when you keep close they will always hesitate… now they will start using their buttons… vskill will blow them up. Use St.lk and cr.mk to mix up the pattern and get your pokes in.

When he gets his space tho, through out a far range kunai and dash in. Or air kunai

Yeah, we went a bit off topic. Better EX reversal because it catches both sides, and it’s harder to punish. Not all characters can do their max damage combo on it cause of spacing as well (and Chun’s hitbox). I just want to show you one more thing on why I believe Chun’s vreversal is better (apart from the fact that it’s one of the fastest in the game):

(You don’t have to comment on it if you don’t want)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLxvYhQKn0

Light dash punch is only -4. You need to use st.lk to punish. I’ll advise cancelling into HK DP, as Raida does not always reach.

I was playing a mika the other day. Ibuki’s vskill, st.hk, and her slide help a lot in this match up.

@CharmingRogue no problem ill hit you up in a PM to discuss more.

Anyone have success against Bison?

its the same thing as always. block, score a knockdown, stay on him

Any tips against the Mika? I have won zero matches against this hoe. Also struggling with Necalli.

I thought I was the only one. I would punish birdie like 3x but I would get hit with one combo and suddenly he has the life lead again. I can’t jump in cause Bidire anti-air game (cr.mp) is too strong.
It’s safe to say Ibuki has the smallest range in the game when it comes to normals. I’m not gonna drop Ibuki because she so fun the play, so tonight I’ll be in the lab against Birdie working on better punishes

Pretty much convinced that we have to counter poke with St.mk etc… ibuki range is just too short… f.hk is just to slow obviously. We need to learn for every character what we can poke after.

Punishes against Balrog.

https://youtu.be/D_jXVFH1GXk

^^^^ this need to be done for every character lol… and some buttons you can’t punish but gives us the advantage after…
Good job man