Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

It not only looks better than KOFXIV, but also SFV. Surely it looks like the revolutionary game that we were promised.

#postlikeAffinity

Jokes aside, i really dig what i am seeing.
And Valerie (which was one of my main decks) looks nice so i approve it.

I meant graphically and aesthetically. And itā€™s only alpha. Donā€™t get me wrong, some animations are jagged and rough but still.

Yeah, and graphically and aesthetically it looks like a huge pile of shit mobile game. It looks WAY worse than KOFXIV, and the animations are some of the worst Iā€™ve ever seen in a game. It looks like a Steam greenlight Unity store asset flip scam game. If you think this looks better than KOFXIV you are legitimately vision impaired.

It plays better than I expected.

I expected DeGrey to be Slayer but thatā€™s ridiculous

Iā€™m not saying this game is Revelator but when a crowdfunded game manages to remind me that SNK Playmore, made KoF14 look like shit, it blows my mind. But thatā€™s not important. I donā€™t want to get off track on the topic so letā€™s agree to disagree.

On the topic of fantasy strike though, even with the absence of certain game mechanics, I hope that enough substance is there for fighting game fans to explore.

These game devs just keep on underachieving with every game, constantly trying to outdo each other in terms of simplicity.

I donā€™t get it! What is wrong with having more than one attack button? If you want to make a simple game why donā€™t you just make one based on SF2 or something?

I mean, this has kind of been Sirlinā€™s thing for a while now.

God the current graphics and animations are terrible though. They really should have focused on getting four characters tops ready for a reveal and made them look good

ā€œA new era of fighting gamesā€¦ā€ ohh, Iā€™ve heard that one before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2I3G-yJjY

Okay, watched some of the stream. This gameā€¦ looks really boring.

Iā€™m not going to hold my breath, as I appreciate simple concepts (both in their own right and as a gateway to more fulfilling complexity), but I feel like itā€™s caught in an awkward middle ground. Itā€™s not as instantly approachable and silly as Divekick, nor quite as wholesome as something like Hyper Fighting. How itā€™ll stack up against stuff like Pocket Rumble or whatever becomes of Rising Thunder is anybodyā€™s guess.

There is nothing wrong with minimal attack buttons it is simply based on how you implement it to work. I am in no way defending this game however I can see it appealing for new players to the genre and some really casual guys but personally it does not do anything for me and I do not believe a game should be made to be easy that essentially immediately removes depth and gameplay from what you are creating. Now Trajes Fatais is a whole different ball game they did not put specials/supers into other buttons they have literally mapped the variations of attack options that you should have in a FG to one button. Usually games like this either A just lack or B have added implementation to replace the lack which is never good but Trajes Fatais is probably the first time that a game can get this 100% right. When it comes to design less is more, exploring and finding what you can make within set constraints allows you to pull out the full potential and hidden qualities to make a solid system.
So another question is what is wrong with SF2? Nothing for what SF2 is it is a fine game but it has been done plus the game itself is far from perfect infact I have played games like SF2 which are or could be way better due to certain implementations. MMPR for example its not a perfect game there is alot of things that need to be ironed out, it has only 2 attack buttons which is not a big deal but not enough normals and I could continue about what else it needs, what it does do however is expand on things SF2 have done to enrich some of its gameplay such as adding a projectile deflection system that each character has (and in my knowledge is the first game to do this as it is an old game but I could be wrong) which immediately makes the projectile game so much better, then there is all the different tech with the different types of moves for instance ā€œchargeā€ characters can actually hold their charge for a small window after charging allowing some run cancels and movements setups into the charge specials, run cancel combos and run cancel pressure etc.
The reality is alot of games are like SF2 strike fantasy is like SF2 just from what we have seen nothing really shining to call it a better game so the real question is what are these guys doing that make their game better then SF2 and what is in their games that is a unique element about it? So far I have not seen anything that makes it unique or better then SF2 and the whole one attack button thing is not even done right they mapped specials and supers to seperate buttons which are attacks so in that aspect they have failed if that was what they were aiming for. They even took out crouch completely so they have removed an entire element from an SF2 like fighting game removing/limiting any possible depth it may have. I dont want to look like I am bashing the game so I will stop there lol I just basically wanted to touch on what you were saying about simplicity, one attack buttons and SF2. The main issue is that someone has yet to pull off the idea 100% successfully you have had alot which was not done properly regardless then you had a few which were actually done well but it was other failings in the systems or some core element lack that they did not fix that stopped it from becoming incredible. I think Trajes Fatais might be the game to revolutionize and capatilize on this from what I have seen at least I hope they do, wish and support them all the best as for fantasy strike though they have got alot to think about in terms of what is missing from their game

Pocket Rumble is a fair comparison, but Rising Thunder had millions in cash to work with. FS so far is in PRE-Alpha guys on a shoestring budget essentially. Even Divekick had a massive team & money compared to this so I think itā€™s looking really great with the resources theyā€™ve got so far. Divekick and Pocket Rumble are fair comparisons in terms of graphics, and they are adding tons more polish with every build.

Some good posts here about what people like and dislike with regards to gameplay etc, personally I love Fantasy Strike (as I made the OP, thatā€™s obvious ofc), but these posts criticising visuals for not meeting triple A game standards are way off base IMO.

There are a lot of neat ideas going on in this. Still sad that i havent hit up the card game.

As for this, i dont necessarily like how much seems copy pasted but it looks lile its making a pretty good game. Better than smash so far.

Who said anything about triple A? You want a good comparison game for visuals?

A game made by a small group of dudes right here on SRK. Why doesnā€™t Fantasy Strike look as good as this? You can say ā€œItā€™s pre-alpha itā€™ll look better!ā€ but then you get into what people said about KoFXIV which is if it looks this bad now and you say itā€™s going to look better later maybe you shouldnā€™t have shown it off so soon.

Anyways the graphics donā€™t even matter, itā€™s just funny that it looks so bad. The gameplay is the real game and I could go off on how much I hate this type of game and how designing a game to cover a skill gap is a bad idea and flawed at the premise and how these mechanics can lead to XYZ problem, but I havenā€™t played the game and after Rising Thunder I have no interest in playing this game and Iā€™m going to let the people who like this enjoy the game. I only started making comments because of unwarranted and incorrect pot shots being taken at KoFXIV.

With that control scheme they might as well release it on Android and iOS

It looks so bad? Funny you say that considering that SNK Playmore has much more resources to work with, and yet, made KoF14 look the way it did. Thatā€™s whatā€™s funny to me. And it wasnā€™t a pot shot. Maybe it was a reach to say that this game looks significantly better than KoF14 but you can bet your ass that if KoF14 looks better than this game, itā€™s NOT by much. At all. THATā€™S whatā€™s funny to me. But if you felt it was unwarranted, it wasnā€™t meant to be. So thatā€™s my bad.

So after watching that stream of the game, Iā€™m not too big a fan of the health bar. I would have loved a more conventional health system but maybe itā€™ll grow on me. Like I said, I adored Rising Thunder but I feel as simplifying a game more than that may take the enjoyment of finding out some of the complexities that still reside in the game. Still excited though.

Yea man those double bankruptcy old sprite animators that just did 3d modeling for the first time in their life resources.

In what POSSIBLE way is this better than smash