Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

These easy operation-type games never work out in the end.

His isn’t all that far fetched. There’s an inuyasha fighting game that operates on a lot of similar ways to this one and it played fairly well for what it was.

Still waiting for some type of public beta on this.

I disagree, I really enjoyed and still enjoy Divekick -the issue with Divekick was matchup balance was (is) terrible and the online was ultra barebones so it never really got anywhere as an online game.

Some execution can get in the way of things when inputs are needlessly strict or convoluted, but these attempts to remove execution as much as possible always end up in inferior products and ignores that execution is integral to the genre.

Good luck with the project to Sirlin though, even when I consider this simplification trend to be very harmful to the genre.

Nice character designs, but without advanced movement options it would just turn out like a 1-line (as opposed to 2D plane) version of Aggressors of Dark Kombat (minus the rarely used run plus the one button inputs). The addition of movement options like dashing add a sense of freedom to the game that has made titles like Super Smash Bros. so popular. Good luck to the development team on the project regardless.

Here is a video of the aforementioned ADK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB842X56ovc

Their really no right or wrong way to design fighters. A fighter with intense execution is no greater or worst with game with little to no execution. It all matter how the game is design and how well controls and system compliment each other.

@Pertho If not correct those same developers went on to make the Samurai deeper kyo which greatly improved upon it.

I like how it tried to have button fighter yet still street fighter Esque like. Though I still prefer phantom Breaker version. samurai deeper Kyo “Boten Maru” is good reason why having SPD move as a button could be a problem.

One my issue with Fantasy strike, Rising thunder, Pocket rumble is how these game claimed to be the “accessible fighter” and yet their games seem anything but accessible. Fantasy strike doesn’t even seem to control like traditional fighter. If it was to be unique fighter or some simulator then I can get behind it but saying its like other fighter is contradictory imo. OMNI’s game “TRAF” seem far more closer to home and yet only has 1 button.

Fantasy’s YOMI counter neutral doing both parry and grab tech seems far to rewarding, what are the mix up to compensate for this? The game says it has no high and low so how does one even go about countering this option? Their blocking meter that open up opponent but why block over YOMI counter?

Rising thunder being mandatory 8 button fighter with no key bind over complicated controls, some of the game stuff had artificial binary for reason i still can’t make sense to this day. Move set had various cool downs on top of their recovery because…?..Certain info such as move set load out, enemy’s power gauge are hidden because…?

Pocket Rumble have misfire problem due to how it handle buffer and its having action overlapping with other. player have to do diagonal for commands but if not in that perfect angle and you’ll get entirely different move than attended. This is issue in TMNT smash Up days.

Hiding stuff seemed more like them experimenting with things in a game meant to be played primarily online. I mean, this was the only game to ever run GGPO 3 after all.

I mean, I am interested in learning more about the game, but if there’s not even any gameplay footage or any way for us to play or even see the game then what is the point of these patch notes?

That’s cool, glad you didn’t mind the wind-up :slight_smile:

You can still play the game via Patreon and it’s a lot cheaper now (a pre-alpha build with 5 characters is for 5 dollars Patreon backing). I think the idea of making the patch notes free publicly is so that people not on Patreon can see some of the progress being made and if they are already interested in the characters etc. from Yomi, Puzzle Strike, Flash Duel or Codex, they get an idea of how they will play in a fighting game too.

I totally agree with you regarding Rising Thunder. I didn’t find that to be especially accessible at all. I can’t comment on Pocket Rumble as I’ve not played that yet.

However Fantasy Strike is the opposite to me, it really IS accessible. It’s almost as easy to get into as Divekick, yet it does play much more like a traditional fighting game. That’s exactly how it plays, and that’s the whole idea behind it really. Press buttons for attacks and special moves, walk up close to throw, back to block. The fighting dynamics and the pacing of matches are familiar too. Zoner characters, rushdown characters, grappler characters. The only thing that’s even slightly different to ‘traditional’ is having Jump be on a button. But you can map that to “up” if you want to as well, but it took me only a few fights to adjust to it being on a button - and that again mirrors Divekick’s Dive/Jump button too.

I think you’ve misunderstood how Yomi counter works. It doesn’t parry, it’s not an option select in any way. It only beats throws. If you do nothing and they do a normal attack or special move, you’ll be hit as you weren’t blocking (back).

The trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fENgvKRqMKA

Lmaoooooooooo

looks awesome. complex motions are definitely designed with intention behind them, but they aren’t inherent to a good game.

controls be damned, i just wonder if the game will be good or not. Will it be fun? strategically balanced? deep enough for endless replay value?

or will it get boring fast? have noticeable flaws that crop from not enough checks and balances in the engine? will it be too shallow to be a good and lasting competitive game?

I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of the “heroic/fantasy” style for overall visual designs.

Also some notes… this game surpasses the simplicity factor of the controls for Rising Thunder… by only having ONE button for an attack… and crouching does not exist. Not really following the concept why crouching does not exist.

http://i.imgur.com/l3wCtjM.png

Grave (I’m guessing he is the posterboy of the series?):
Back Attack = General Sweep
Neutral Attack = Normal Attack, has animation for AA (similar to Urien’s Toward Strong)
Toward Attack = Far reaching normal (think Sagat’s Low Fierce)

All attacks above were special cancellable.

…meh. Going to wait until further development occurs. Right now it feels like there aren’t many things in the game that distinguishes away from SF to be unique to itself, and sure other games do have their attempt in trying to use it as a baseline… but using the Ultra 2 animation from E.Ryu is too identical to the point that it looks like a copy/pastae ALMOST. Why would they do that?

Not going to criticize too much on the visuals… assuming that they are aware of it (being in pre-alpha).

Personally for me, it feels like a game with limited normals with not too many neutral tools to mess around with. Rising Thunder kinda had a fair balance of normals while remaining the simplicity of the controls well intact. I am wondering what’s the situation for crouch states if it will ever be in the game, and perhaps that may be intended for more normals?

Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/fairlysadpanda

It seems that i am one of the few that thinks that it doesn’t look terrible

Watching a live stream of this and the animations are straight ripped from other games. The character of DeGrey is Slayer. Rook has Gief’s SPD, lariet, and body splash, Hulk’s meteor smash, and T.Hawk’s SPD.

Which is nothing new if you ever played Yomi.
Also link to the stream nigga.

I actually really liked Rising Thunder so if this game embodies that overall approach, I think I’ll like it. Granted, I’m a fan of making games as friendly as possible to all types of groups, however, I feel as though there should be some depth and overall content(whether its in the form of minor execution or what have you) for the people who will want to eat this game up. No crouching is a little strange, not gonna lie. And the health pegs will take some getting used to. I guess it gets a pass only because the rounds seem to draw inspiration from Divekick as opposed to conventional fighters. I am intrigued by the concept of throw breaking. I will say that I like the look of the game in terms of aesthetics and atmosphere. Sirlin has interesting concepts and ideas and they do come from a good place so I’ll be looking out for this game.

This game manages to look better than KoF14 too so there’s that.

What are you fucking blind? Were you even watching the stream?

Someone on SFV thread said the same thing… it has to be a joke. Even the first trailer reveal of KOFXIV looked more polished than this game atm.