Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

That’s the same system already in Pocket Rumble, and from what I’ve played of that game it works quite well so far, especially for a game with a set amount of health points like Fantasy Strike and Pocket Rumble both seem to have.

Yeah, the chip damage system works very well (and again, it definitely isn’t guard break) for a limited-discrete-HP fighter. Also you guys Rook is so fuuuuuuuuuun

Basically, the way chip damage works is:

• First of all, everyone gets a set number of discrete hit points that are represented as blocks, similar to Pocket Rumble but in smaller numbers (so the “standard” number is six, while Rook, the new grappler, gets eight), and as a general rule, each hit does 1 HP of damage.

• If you block regular attacks (A button) then you just sort of… block them.

• If you block special attacks (B or C) then the first one you block makes one of your HP blocks turn orange, the second one you block makes it turn red, and the third one chips it away. If you don’t get hit or block attacks for a bit, it recovers like SF4 gray damage.

So yeah, the implementation is pretty similar to Pocket Rumble, because it’s basically the only real option available for limited-discrete-HP fighters, and it works well in both. You can’t just sit around and block all day, but it also prevents blocked specials from being overpowering (or, at worst, equivalent to simply landing them in the first place).

this game is really fun. from what i’ve played, it kind of feels like “ST with some divekick juice.” even with just 3 attack buttons the characters feel really meaty. well-worth putting in the patreon support imo.

i’m really liking the big graphical update they made to Grave in the latest update too

Yeah the graphical improvements with each build have made a few drastic leaps. Definitely a good sign the final product is going to look pretty decent if not excellent for what is essentially an ‘indie’ title.

I’ve been struggling to get good local opponents with time to play lately though, but should get some extended games tomorrow, looking forward to seeing what they make of it - it will be a mixed crowd of varying degrees of fighting game experience.

How does the game look like? I wanna see a vid…

^ There are no vids for this game yet since (other than Grave) the graphics are a huge WIP.

A fourth character, Valerie, has been added to the game.

Basic summary: Two-hit rekkas (that work in the air), chicken wing (goes SUPER FAR in the air), a speedup mode that activates every 8 seconds and gives her one chance to do three-hit rekkas or cancel chicken wing into chicken wing. Air super is an even better speedup mode that lasts a while. She does have a divekick.

In other words, she’s got sort of a Fei Long-ish thing going on.

So am I supposed to get hyped for this without ingame footage?

“Hey, give me money to fund this thing that plays awesome without seeing how it plays!”

Not my kind of deal.

How dare you question David “Our Lord and Savior” Sirlin.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Yes thank you, that was the joke.

His Patreon is for everything he does, not just for this. Among them are games that people have already bought, played, and loved.

Yeah quite right tataki. If you’re not into his other stuff then Patreon backing is definitely too big an ask for most people, but eventually there will be screens and footage and maybe a kickstarter etc for the actual game… so if you’re interested in seeing where this goes, it’s worth knowing about at least. Honestly I only backed the Patreon to try out this game though, cos conceptually it’s exactly what I like - and I’ve found it so much fun I’ve continued to back it.

Plus it’s hard to contain the hype when you are already backing it, playing it and enjoying it y’know :wink:

I just finally had time to write up some more stuff about the game and the SFV beta. The full article is here but not trying to link-bait nonsense, so here’s the bits about Fantasy Strike that are relevant to this thread :slight_smile:

I’m hoping the game is going to be good. My cash is always tied up on stuff to buy his games (desperately wanted to buy the Fantasy Strike that came with all the decks) and haters be damned, I love me some HDR. I won’t say I have high hopes because he is doing a lot of really alien things but definitely curious.

Do wish that he’d do a small gameplay trailer so people could understand how its going to play. Jump button and one button for normals is some weird shit to have going on.

Glad you like, Remy! Yeah it really is quite a thing when you can play any character you want, because you can actually fully control all of them, including their combos and techniques. And thanks for contributing, we’re just an indie effort here so we don’t have millions of dollars. Anything we get goes right into all my projects, which right now are the Fantasy Strike fighting game and the Codex card game.

It’s way too early to show vids and screens right now. Fantasy Strike is not nearly far enough along graphically to do that. I’m sure you understand, it would be like SF5 showing vids at a point in their development when they still had some placeholder models and animations, which would just lead to negative press about how it looks bad or whatever. We’re focusing on gameplay development right now, and are just starting to polish the visuals. It will be many months before it’s publicly presentable. In the meantime, we thank everyone who has joined our Patreon and we’ll continue to give patrons updated builds so they can see the development process. Remember that Patreon isn’t a thing where you pay for a product. It’s to support specific creative people in whatever it is they do. So my Patreon gives patrons a look behind the scenes as a thank you. As for publicly showing the game in order to get people hyped, we’ll definitely do that once we’re far enough along.

I liked it. I want it for PC.

Word to KoF.

Love the card game, love Puzzle Strike. Been meaning to try out Codex.

Can’t wait to see the game in a presentable state.

Finally something more I can share with SRK - Sirlin’s made the latest alpha build notes available publically here:

Patch notes for a game that’s completely invisible and basically doesn’t exist. Alright. Cool. Yeah.

Here’s some more patch notes just to annoy @PSYCH0J0SH:wink: http://www.sirlin.net/posts/fantasy-strike-patch-notes-august-2016

But more importantly, first officially released screenshot at http://www.fantasystrike.com/

I know they are nearing the point where more stuff can be shared publicly too, hurrah!