Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

I mean, depends what you’re after and how much money you have! It is still early access of course and they are still updating every month. I highly recommend it though and think it’s a ridiculous bargain at that price.

There’s an online tournament coming up btw:
Sat 7th July 7pm-ish GMT http://www.fantasystrike.com/blog/2018/e4i-online-tournament

Yeah im probably going to stay away since Rook is so bad and everyone is okay with him being bad. I dont like the fact that everyone else has so many outs to him can so easily beat him and he has to work so hard for so little, its just not fun. and hes the only character i like in the game. Sorry that i like grapplers, but the game isnt fun if he cant at least compete with everyone else.

ya what now? I get beaten by good Rooks all the time in just about any matchup.

His playstyle is similar to Zangief in SF2, he has to work very hard (sometimes) to get in and get an opportunity, but once he does, he can instantly win any round off one knockdown. He’s completely NOT my style of character at all, but he’s still very viable and is a fair representation of the archetype.

There’s also Midori as well if you like grapplers.

1 Like

As long as other characters can easily 3-4 pip him without needing to give up anything, he will ALWAYS be bad. I dont care what anyone says, he works TOO HARD for so little compared to everyone else. High tier players who play him do not prove anything to me. If its so people can enjoy their dreams of big combos, whatever. All I want is matches with him to feel more “even” and not just a blow out one way or another. Clearly I am wrong for wanting or asking for buffs that may or may not have existed before (people say his clap was better at one time but i never saw it). Clearly how I feel about him is wrong, because “better players” say hes “fine”. they can enjoy the game, I will play something else.

FChamp has been loving the design of Argagarg, see why here:

2 Likes

cool, another epic polarity shitpost.

Is there a secret Akuma-type character known only as “the Hater?”

Hello! I was curious what the process was for getting a Fantasy Strike subforum created here on SRK. Are there any mods here that can assist me with this? Is this even the right place to ask?

Thanks!

1 Like

very unlikely that you get a sub for it but you can ask @Preppy .

in the meantime feel free to join the discussion in the thread

Why is it unlikely? It’s a fighting game, lol

Anyway, sure, I will ask. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

The game isn’t popular enough to justify it. If a series like Dead or Alive can’t get a subforum then Fantasy Strike definitely won’t

1 Like

Subforums are generally created when there’s so much player-created discussion of the game’s different facets that it’s hard to contain all the knowledge in one place or a couple threads. I haven’t really seen that happen here yet.

1 Like

FS Online Tournaments update! :slight_smile:

OPnoobs (https://www.twitch.tv/opnoobsonline) just ran their 2nd online FS tournament. Currently only in their twitch archive but hopefully it will be up on youtube too soon. I recorded and edited my matches here:

I’m hoping to want to do an analysis video soon too :smile:

There is another online tournament soon - Sat Oct 6th, signups already open: https://www.opnoobs.com/e4i/fantasy-strike

And here’s a great article about how to improve at FS and at FGs in general, with interviews with 2 of the top current FS players and Sirlin himself:

Sweet jeepers, the October update has a COMPLETELY INSANE new feature: hitsparks that show frame advantage or disadvantage, calculated in real time, for every hit. The examples shown on the writeup include projectiles being blocked from different distances, to demonstrate that the game actually takes everything into account in real time.

Also now there’s ranked mode, which uses a tournament structure similar to the cool thing vanilla SF4 had in the Championship Mode update (which they then ABANDONED FOREVER???), but honestly I think the hitsparks thing is a way bigger deal overall.

1 Like

That would be awesome in training mode but I’m a little skeptical about it being in the game.

Eh. Seems non-obstructive as a visual. And remember this game is a stealth primer on 2D fighting games. It’s Training Mode: The Game.

Its not really the first game to let you know about if you’re safe or not is it? Maybe the way they are doing it is new, but I feel like I’ve played games that let you know this info somehow. Only close thing that immediately came to mind was Pocket Rumble with its meter to show recovery for both players. I suppose that doesn’t tell you if you’re safe or not as it requires you to look at both meters.

Anyone know if there are other games that did this? How much of this feature has truly never been done?

I think we can safely defer to Sirlin that it’s not been presented like this before in-game. You’re not even sure of your own contention there.

Yeah, I’ve played with the new feature for a couple hours and I can safely say:

1. This is new stuff. The closest anyone has come has been training mode features, but…

2. It’s done subtly enough that it can easily be ignored if you don’t care.

It’s not as though learning frame data and learning to recognize frame traps is some arcane, unknowable black magic, but this lets even fairly new players “see the Matrix” if they pay attention.

Although in practice, I still get caught by frame traps. ^^; Frame traps are generally tight enough that you can’t really fully react to the frame data hitsparks while playing, so much as just subconsciously notice the color as you do whatever reaction it was that you were going to do anyway, and then go OH NO WHY DID I DO THAT a moment later after your brain gets around to processing what just happened.

2 Likes

Yep I’ve found using the frame data sparks in real-time isn’t especially effective… BUT, it’s really a nice learning tool for figuring out what you did wrong (or right) much more quickly without having to back out and lab things afterwards.

So it’s more like, you still get hit by a frame trap, but then you noticed the spark at the time, so you know for SURE if it was a legit frame trap, rather than wondering if you just were slow or pressing the wrong thing or whatever.
It also makes it more fun to play vs the AI for me, as I can ‘learn’ frame data as well whilst playing the CPU.