Fantasy Strike - easy to execute fighting game

FS Online Tournaments update! :slight_smile:

OPnoobs (https://www.twitch.tv/opnoobsonline) just ran their 2nd online FS tournament. Currently only in their twitch archive but hopefully it will be up on youtube too soon. I recorded and edited my matches here:

Iā€™m hoping to want to do an analysis video soon too :smile:

There is another online tournament soon - Sat Oct 6th, signups already open: https://www.opnoobs.com/e4i/fantasy-strike

And hereā€™s a great article about how to improve at FS and at FGs in general, with interviews with 2 of the top current FS players and Sirlin himself:

Sweet jeepers, the October update has a COMPLETELY INSANE new feature: hitsparks that show frame advantage or disadvantage, calculated in real time, for every hit. The examples shown on the writeup include projectiles being blocked from different distances, to demonstrate that the game actually takes everything into account in real time.

Also now thereā€™s ranked mode, which uses a tournament structure similar to the cool thing vanilla SF4 had in the Championship Mode update (which they then ABANDONED FOREVER???), but honestly I think the hitsparks thing is a way bigger deal overall.

1 Like

That would be awesome in training mode but Iā€™m a little skeptical about it being in the game.

Eh. Seems non-obstructive as a visual. And remember this game is a stealth primer on 2D fighting games. Itā€™s Training Mode: The Game.

Its not really the first game to let you know about if youā€™re safe or not is it? Maybe the way they are doing it is new, but I feel like Iā€™ve played games that let you know this info somehow. Only close thing that immediately came to mind was Pocket Rumble with its meter to show recovery for both players. I suppose that doesnā€™t tell you if youā€™re safe or not as it requires you to look at both meters.

Anyone know if there are other games that did this? How much of this feature has truly never been done?

I think we can safely defer to Sirlin that itā€™s not been presented like this before in-game. Youā€™re not even sure of your own contention there.

Yeah, Iā€™ve played with the new feature for a couple hours and I can safely say:

1. This is new stuff. The closest anyone has come has been training mode features, butā€¦

2. Itā€™s done subtly enough that it can easily be ignored if you donā€™t care.

Itā€™s not as though learning frame data and learning to recognize frame traps is some arcane, unknowable black magic, but this lets even fairly new players ā€œsee the Matrixā€ if they pay attention.

Although in practice, I still get caught by frame traps. ^^; Frame traps are generally tight enough that you canā€™t really fully react to the frame data hitsparks while playing, so much as just subconsciously notice the color as you do whatever reaction it was that you were going to do anyway, and then go OH NO WHY DID I DO THAT a moment later after your brain gets around to processing what just happened.

2 Likes

Yep Iā€™ve found using the frame data sparks in real-time isnā€™t especially effectiveā€¦ BUT, itā€™s really a nice learning tool for figuring out what you did wrong (or right) much more quickly without having to back out and lab things afterwards.

So itā€™s more like, you still get hit by a frame trap, but then you noticed the spark at the time, so you know for SURE if it was a legit frame trap, rather than wondering if you just were slow or pressing the wrong thing or whatever.
It also makes it more fun to play vs the AI for me, as I can ā€˜learnā€™ frame data as well whilst playing the CPU.

It never promised youā€™d never get hit by frame traps and such. Itā€™s a transparency tool, not an offensive or defensive mechanic.

Sirlin getting burned after claiming that Fantasy Strike only has 1 frame of input lag.

https://scontent.fmnl5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43747872_10156763800082329_3577258770276810752_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=40ddc1a5f8714d6454a2fd546bcbeb01&oe=5C43E553

https://scontent.fmnl5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43691096_10156763800072329_2128115183741042688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&oh=5b839251d976def09f09bb97b3928f30&oe=5C47F61B

https://scontent.fmnl5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43766830_10156763800122329_5860958689048920064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=5fe19862724768c9aab71234eab57788&oe=5C5B7DB3

Sirlin has some good ideas, but he sure does run his mouth in ways that make him look like an idiot.

1 Like

This game looks good, and on the website it says rollback method is used for online play, but I guess people arenā€™t feeling it?

The online play is frankly incredible. The netcode is somehow unbelievably good, best FG netcode Iā€™ve ever played on!

Played some more FS last night. The last few updates have been pretty good.

1 Like

When looking at Sirlinā€™s web site, I was reminded that SRK did a short interview with Sirlin at the beginning of this year about the subject of loot boxes in Fantasy Strike. (Sirlin hardly ever posts updates to his site, so it wasnā€™t like it was hidden or anything.) Sirlin was very pro-loot box, and particularly heaped praise on Overwatchā€™s loot box system.

I was wondering, did anyone ever follow-up on this interview after various commissions started ruling that Overwatchā€™s loot box system violated their countriesā€™ gambling laws? And we got a few more studies directly denouncing loot boxes for their intentional psychological manipulation and potential harm? (Or even to ask Sirlin, with his praise for Overwatch, how he felt about how Blizzard had fought to keep Overwatchā€™s odds hidden.)

Well the commissions are wrong so he has nothing to follow up on.

Ok I just posted a bit in the Fantasy Strike discord about this, but hereā€™s a thread to discuss here as well.

Iā€™m considering running some Europe-only online tournaments for Fantasy Strike.

It wouldnā€™t be anything serious or with prizes or anything or (usually) streamed or as professional as the E4i ones, and I would likely have to run it on a weeknight evening at an EU evening friendly time, most likely 7-9pm UK time (Mon-Fri), most likely a Tue or Thur.

Assuming it went well it would be a semi-regular occurrence but on no fixed schedule per-say, just whenever I could do it. Format of the tournament would vary (team or single character, and double/single elim or round robin, swiss etc, maybe some other wacky things).

The reason for making it Europe-only is so itā€™s an acceptable timezone for people in Europe, and to ensure a reasonable standard of connection quality between opponents.
Itā€™s also because this would be intended to be a European FS community-building thing as opposed to anything ultra-competitive (especially as the top players are pretty well known at this stage anyway!). I have experience with this working well from other fighting games too.

Feedback Iā€™m looking for is:

1. Would you be interested in this?
  2. If so, any strong preference for time or weeknight to play it?
  3. Any other thoughts?
1 Like

Update: Planning to make the first event on Thur Nov 8th. Will make another post soon for proper promotion :slight_smile:

First event is on Thursday 8th November. Full details here:

Update! Good first event, with some very close matches. I got some footage of a few matches I will see if I can use it later for any uploads.

Swiss Pairing was used for the format.

The winner was: Vall3y
2nd place was: Arnei

Congratulations to them and GGs to everyone. I will try and run more events like this in the near future.

Characters represented: Midori, Valerie, Grave, Lum, Argagarg, DeGrey, Geiger

Countries represented: Israel, Germany, England, Switzerland, Norway & Austria

(let me know if thereā€™s any others I missed)

1 Like

Playlist of matches I got footage from: