Evo widescreen

I still prefer 4:3

Umm… if it weren’t, I think that’d be the first great travesty of the new decade.

I mean let’s look at HDR at EVO. Second largest event last year, >300 entires. Yeah it might not do as well at smaller tournaments and in some places, but lets face it, people who don’t enter HDR at other tournaments will enter HDR at EVO. Why? Because they know how to play ST / HDR and its there. I mean take this as the option, I can either “Watch some SF4 casuals right now…” OR “I can be in the HDR Tourney…”. Maybe at alot of tournaments they pick watch SF4 (Don’t ask me why…) but at EVO where there’s money involved and alot of that old school nostalgia, HDR will post big numbers. Do I think it’ll crack 300? I don’t know about that. But it will still do better than SC4, BB (whichever version is available), GG:AC, MB, or whatever other games the kids are playing these days with the exception I think of (S)SF4 or T6.

So in conclusion, HDR will be at EVO… or else.

4:3 for me. The zoomed in screen is really confusing for me, personally. I imagine that it’s probably even more confusing for people who play on a standard definition TV.

I prefer 4:3. I have an HD 16:10 monitor and I can’t stand it.

They better have at least 60% of what they had last time. Otherwise, HDR is in danger of becoming what EVO 3S is, just a team tourney.

Widescreen. This game SHOULD always be played full screen. I would be willing to play 4:3 IF & ONLY IF, the console’s general system settings were set to 480P for the resolution…that way it would still be full screen.

16:9.

You fools that play 4:3 on 16:9 tvs just need to get over it and get used to it. You’re too picky.

I get the feeling that EVO10 will be in 16:9. I haven’t played in widescreen, but just like Thelo and Jiggly, I’m sure I could adapt to it in a short time. I just hope that it doesn’t drive away more OG players from HDR. Not saying that it will, just saying that I hope it doesn’t. The funny thing is that 16:9 is not even “true” widescreen. It’s just a squished version of 4:3.

Where’s the choice to choose original ST instead of this crap?

Speaking of OG?

:lol:

Hmm, that’s a lot of representation from the west coast. I prefer 4:3 because the sprites were originally drawn with that in mind (which turn out slightly blurred in 16:9) and more importantly, because the screen shakes vertically much more drastically in 16:9. My guess is that the latter reason is why Evo heads decided to stick with 4:3 (even though some of the major offenders like claw and Chun didn’t seem to see much action far into the tourney).

What technical reason is there to switch from precedent to 16:9? Capcom specifically stated that they decided to have it added to appease casual fans (I mentioned this in the last topic). The default resolution for HDR on a 4:3 TV is 4:3.

So here are my reasons:

• Myself, and almost everyone I know, prefers 4:3
  • 4:3 is a default format. This means that old & new players and newcomers to evo using any TV are familiar with widescreen
  • 4:3 looks better
  • I read Rey Jimenez’s interview about this, and he specifically stated that Capcom decided to have widescreen included later as an optional feature
  • Most regional tourneys and majors are in 4:3. Evo should conform to this standard.

We can just have it so that if both players agree to 16:9, then they can play in 16:9. Personally, I’m ready for either resolution but I don’t want to hear complaints from anybody that the screen shaking from wall dives affected their play.

To all the 4:3 proponents, refer to the last part of Vintage’s post. Would you all be willing to make that compromise? I personally have no problem with 4:3 BUT only on a standard CRT aka playing full screen. I do however have a problem with playing 4:3 mode on a Widescreen LCD monitor. I absolutely abhor playing with nearly 2inch black bars on each side of the screen and more importantly “for myself” (I can’t speak for anyone else), but playing on a 23 inch Asus (Evo monitor) via 4:3 feels weird to me since the screen is reduced. To me, it’s almost as bad as playing the Live version of HF in that standard blue box (shudders). However, adjusting the 360 to 480p for the display settings for HDR play on the Asus would encompass the entire screen. I could definitely stand behind that decision/compromise. :karate:

Mizuki: lol It’s comments like that which reinforce my stance on Evo going to HF instead of ST. For some unknown reason, the least played version of SF2 (I’m looking at you Super Turbo) seems to create the most drama :stuck_out_tongue:

Fun Fact: According to Sirlin, the screen actually shakes less in 16:9. They tweaked it to counteract the new widescreen default in HDR.

False. That may have been the case for the first couple months of development. However, the project was extended for over a year. Initially this game was just going to be ST, re-drawn in HD. But after the extension, the design was changed from ST:HD to SF2:HDR.

I believe it was Inkblot who first suggested the widescreen format early on in development via a nifty little mockup video. Sirlin ran with that idea and tweaked it over the course of development. According to him, the lead designer of the game, HDR is designed to be played in widescreen. 4:3 is just an option for people with older TVs. If you don’t trust the designer of the game, consider that all pre-release kiosks ran in 16:9 and all screenshots and video in the press were in 16:9.

So, I suppose one technical reason is that the game was actually designed to be played in 16:9. Another would be that the majority of the players are used to playing in that mode.

Evo doesn’t use 4:3 TVs.

These tournaments take long enough to run as is. I really don’t think changing display modes would be beneficial. But moreover, it’s beneficial for the players to keep things consistent during a tourney. That is why I begrudgingly ran the regional side tourney in 4:3 last year. For consistency.

Nobody is going to complain. I’m used to playing HDR in widescreen and just as I thought, playing it in 4:3 last year at Evo didn’t make it feel any different to me. I wasn’t able to do things or see things that I normally can’t. It felt exactly the same. The only thing it did was make a new game look old.

Mathematically speaking 4 squared by 3 squared does equal 16 by 9 but that is not true that it is a squished version. Most movies and film are shot in a widescreen ratio which is why everytime you watch television shows or movies that are broadcasted on an analog signal it always said that show has been modified to fit your televison. 4 X 3 is not a norm by any means. It was the norm forever just because the cost to show it in its original form was too much. Now that televison from a cost standpoint has caught up as well as the government has made it mandated digital broadcast things have changed. And yes I know not everyone has a digital tv or 16 x 9 television hence there are those who have boxes hooked up to their televisions.

My 16 x 9 gaming televison is currently out of commission so I am using my old Sony Wega 32". I didnt notice any difference in playing from either format. I think some of you just have issues in the head. lol I still would take 16 x 9 over 4 x 3 though.

Though SweetJohnnyV already annihilated the rest of your post I’ll touch up on these two points.

Yet somehow the majority of the community last year, and so far this year voted for 16:9, and both Sirlin and AfroLegends also prefer 16:9.

Last year the biggest criticism from everyone I heard about HDR at EVO (other than that it wasn’t ST) was that the game looked ugly with the black bars running alongside of the screen. In my opinion, the game looks much better at 16:9, where the game covers the entire viewing area of the monitor. Just download one of the IGN HDR matches and see how much wasted real estate there is in those videos compared to other HD titles like SFIV or SCIV. I think that 4:3 makes the game look dated and old and the 16:9 viewing area breathes new life into the game.

That’s good to know. But however they tweaked it, the shaking is still more noticeable to me and others in 16:9. If you compare it in both aspect ratios, you can see what I mean. Again, this is pretty much my main reason for using 4:3. Many matchups may not experience much screen shaking but the ones that do (e.g. claw vs. a lot of characters) are affected more in 16:9.

And as much as I respect him, the lead designer also said Gouki was tourney-viable. We don’t follow that stipulation, nor do we need to follow any other stipulations that may not result in the fairest playing environment.

That’s true. All the SRK public polls have been in favor of 16:9 yet the majority of actual HDR tourneys have used 4:3. Do I need to create the list?

Sure, the black bars are pretty ugly. But the overall superior visual clarity is an advantage. Plus, think about this: when you used to watch movies on 4:3 TVs, did you prefer full or letterboxed displays? With full, you get the whole screen filled but lose some of the actual recorded picture. With letterboxes, you get black bars but at least you can see the full picture as it was filmed. I always strongly preferred the letterboxed version.

I think it may just be a perception thing, since the characters end up at the top of the screen instead of 1/4 from the top. At any rate, I understand what you’re getting at. It does look different. However, I don’t think it really impairs your ability to read where the characters are or what they’re doing…IMO.

To be fair, he no longer thinks Akuma is fit for tourney play. Regardless, I’d agree that there’s no need to follow the word of any single person or any historical precedent. After all, it’s the strong community for SF2 that has kept it alive all these years. We should play it the way the community prefers.

No need to go through all that hassle man. All the west coast and southwest tourneys use 16:9. And most/all of the midwest and east coast tournies use 4:3. Right? I’d guess that it’s probably a similar split between which ones are run on XBox vs PS3. But I’m less sure of that.

The thing I don’t get is that the majority of the players play in widescreen on Xbox. Given that, I would expect that to be the tourney standard. I understand that the Evo people already had a bunch of PS3s for Tekken so they just continued down that road for HDR/SF4/etc. And I think that’s unfortunate, since that isn’t easy to change. But switching the aspect ratio is. So, I’m hoping that happens.

I’ve been to a lot of tournaments, including two majors, and all of them have been 16:9. It’s my experience that the overwhelming majority of tournaments are run in 16:9. The tournament videos I see linked from BlueMary, as well as EAMegaman vs Justin Wong – all of those are in 16:9.

Also, when I went to visit NYC, I played against Damdai, Nohoho, DSP, TechMonkey – all of our games were in 16:9.

voting for 4:3… i prefer original ST settings

4:3 here (on a 16:9 display).

I used to play the native 16:9 format but the off-screen characters / shaking screen really disturbed me so I switched to 4:3 and I’m pleased with it.
I play both in tournaments but I’d rather be playing on a 4:3 display.