Dormammu's BAD Matchups let me know what u guys think - Fchamp

Dorm vs Zero is 5-5 at worst. If Dorm can lock Zero down, Zero’s tiny health bar will chip down very quickly. Keeping Zero out should be the no.1 priority in that match, far beyond spells.<div><br></div><div>vsDenjin has a point. You try too hard to integrate spells into your patterns, but don’t use pillars very often. If you used pillars more, you could probably switch out Doom for someone else.</div>

Dorm vs Zero i think is slightly in Zero’s favor, but not by too much.

Finally some interesting dormammu discussion.

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/45295/just5moreminutes">just5moreminutes</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Dorm needs a “piss off” assist unless he’s already winning. You get the option of Repulsar, Tatsu, Cart, Heartless Spire, Rising Fang, Log Trap, Hulk AA, Magneto’s counter assist, Firebrand’s swoop, Vajra, Jam Session, and Lariat. That’s the biggest issue for all top Dorm players I can think of off the top of my head: Dorm has no way out of pressure by a large portion of the cast without spells charged.<div><br></div><div>Have you considered switching out Doom for someone with a more suitable assist for Dorm’s needs, like Dante? I think that is probably the best assist for Dorm, and it definitely won’t hurt Magneto. That might change your perspective on the Wolverine, Nova, and Chris match-ups.</div></div>
</blockquote>

I definitely see the potential in Magneto/Dormammu/Dante. Having the Dante/Magneto shell was once considered to be THE duo (in theory) for Dormammu a while back, albeit in the order of either Dorm/Dante/Magneto and Dante/Dorm/Magneto. 

Dr strange with a decent neutral assist also gives dormammu quite a bit of trouble , Dorm basically has to abandon his zoning game entirely v dr strange .

<blockquote class=“Quote”>I think Wesker is his worst matchup. SJ Gunshot beats Pillars and you can’t charge spells.  Not to mention Maximum Wesker punishes Chaotic Flame and has way around stalker flare.  Spencer is god awful as well. <br><div class=“QuoteText”><br></div>
</blockquote>

Wesker is 6-4 against Dorm, but not for those reasons you mentioned.<br><br>Gunshot does not lock down Dorm in any way, shape or fashion unless you have terrible assists or are using Dorm’s tools incorrectly. A Wesker jumping away and gunshot is vulnerable to Dorm’s teleport. You can also superjump, fly and charge spells if the Wesker is completely running away. Frankly, I love it when Weskers run against Dorm, because that’s his best chance to win the matchup. If the opponent wastes meter on Maximum Wesker to punish Chaotic Flame even better. Dorm isn’t Phoenix or Strider for fuck’s sake. We’re talking 1 mil HP here. 1 errant Maximum Wesker punish isn’t usually going to make that much of a dent in Dorm or his gameplan.<br>The reason the matchup is bad for Dorm is the close-range game. This is one of the few match-ups against top-tiers where Dorm actually really wants to lay down a flame carpet (while under cover of an assist) in order to prepare for Wesker’s approach. The big problem is that Dorm is a big target, especially while crouching, which leaves him very vulnerable to Wesker jumping S and makes him a big fat target for Wesker’s grabs.<br> Fishhooks can out-prioritize Wesker’s air normals, but they’re slow and leave you at risk for airthrows, which is frankly his best option still since Dorm cannot fight Wesker on the ground at all.<br>While not quite as fast as Magneto, his normals are still much faster than Dorm’s and even outmatch his range. Wesker’s cr. M goes under BOTH Dorm’s standing and crouching Ms and thus basically fucks up Dorm’s day something fierce. <br>Trying to up-back only gets you so far since (again) Wesker’s air throw is much better than yours.<br><br>

Depends on the wesker team. Wesker/vajra (which is what every good wesker team will have) absolutely rapes dormammu. Vajra + teleport in general is impossible for dorm to deal with outside of guess chaotic flame or when’s he set up with a stalker flare on screen + spells charged and even then it’s hard.

Oh hey, dumb question for FChamp: Why Rocks for Dormammu? Is it because once they’re out the Rock projectiles are hard to deal with or something? Or does it have something to do with projectile nullification. I never quite understood that choice, though I am not against it.

Ooh, I’m liking this thread a ton. I think Dorm matchup discussion was much needed.

Against Chris, I think as far as straight zoning, depends on whether he’s in the ground or air. If Chris is airborne, Dorm wins, if Chris is on the ground, Dorm loses, prone stance and magnums smack anything dorm has, and his first grenade eats both dorm’s hypers.

If Chris is in the air, though, just avoid the air gun and Chris’s free to pillars, then while he lands you have the frames to throw one pillar and get at worst a favorable trade with whatever e tries.

You can’t stalking flare, but it’s easy enough to reset them from a tower into ball, you can teleport m and hit him before the second grenade comes out if he tries to neutralize your super. His ground magnum has too much recovery and will get him hit if you teleport m. That said, you have to be careful teleporting with that airgrab around. Prone stance does well too.

When you’re at sj height Chris can vajra/jam session or he’s got nothing on ya.

If Dorm has a beam or daggers, or probably bolts too, even if Chris has vajra or something I say it’s either even or 5.5-4.5. Either way, I’m finding the matchup quite easy.

And for Gil, rocks hit behind you and have a nice delay for pressure. That changes the meta just a tad, you have to play differently against plasma and rocks. That’s my guess, anyway.

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/59746/Colonel-Gilgamesh">Colonel-Gilgamesh</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Oh hey, dumb question for FChamp: Why Rocks for Dormammu? Is it because once they’re out the Rock projectiles are hard to deal with or something? Or does it have something to do with projectile nullification. I never quite understood that choice, though I am not against it.</div>
</blockquote>

because dorm already controls vertical space easily, and beam isn’t active very long. Rocks provide long lasting horizontal diversion.

<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/2221/triplexraider">triplexraider</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/45295/just5moreminutes">just5moreminutes</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>Dorm needs a “piss off” assist unless he’s already winning. You get the option of Repulsar, Tatsu, Cart, Heartless Spire, Rising Fang, Log Trap, Hulk AA, Magneto’s counter assist, Firebrand’s swoop, Vajra, Jam Session, and Lariat. That’s the biggest issue for all top Dorm players I can think of off the top of my head: Dorm has no way out of pressure by a large portion of the cast without spells charged.<div><br></div><div>Have you considered switching out Doom for someone with a more suitable assist for Dorm’s needs, like Dante? I think that is probably the best assist for Dorm, and it definitely won’t hurt Magneto. That might change your perspective on the Wolverine, Nova, and Chris match-ups.</div></div>
</blockquote>

I definitely see the potential in Magneto/Dormammu/Dante. Having the Dante/Magneto shell was once considered to be THE duo (in theory) for Dormammu a while back, albeit in the order of either Dorm/Dante/Magneto and Dante/Dorm/Magneto. </div>
</blockquote>

That’s my team actually.  Dante/Dorm/Mag is extremely good for Dorms.  He gets between 800k-1Mil in the corner with both assists.  Not to mention, Flame Carpet > Jam Session = Unblockable setup on incoming character.<br>For incoming character with Dante still in, I usually do (Call Dorm) Million Carats > DT > Stand as the Darkhole holds the opponent in place > Dash under 50/50 or you can box jump 50/50.   It’s good shit.  Stalker Flare setups with Mag in guarantees 700k from Jam Session and 1 Mil if you didn’t use Dante assist yet. <br><br><br><blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/3598/Return%20of%20Shiki">Return of Shiki</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><blockquote class=“Quote”>I think Wesker is his worst matchup. SJ Gunshot beats Pillars and you can’t charge spells.  Not to mention Maximum Wesker punishes Chaotic Flame and has way around stalker flare.  Spencer is god awful as well. <br><div class=“QuoteText”><br></div>
</blockquote>

Wesker is 6-4 against Dorm, but not for those reasons you mentioned.<br><br>Gunshot does not lock down Dorm in any way, shape or fashion unless you have terrible assists or are using Dorm’s tools incorrectly. A Wesker jumping away and gunshot is vulnerable to Dorm’s teleport. You can also superjump, fly and charge spells if the Wesker is completely running away. Frankly, I love it when Weskers run against Dorm, because that’s his best chance to win the matchup. If the opponent wastes meter on Maximum Wesker to punish Chaotic Flame even better. Dorm isn’t Phoenix or Strider for fuck’s sake. We’re talking 1 mil HP here. 1 errant Maximum Wesker punish isn’t usually going to make that much of a dent in Dorm or his gameplan.<br>The reason the matchup is bad for Dorm is the close-range game. This is one of the few match-ups against top-tiers where Dorm actually really wants to lay down a flame carpet (while under cover of an assist) in order to prepare for Wesker’s approach. The big problem is that Dorm is a big target, especially while crouching, which leaves him very vulnerable to Wesker jumping S and makes him a big fat target for Wesker’s grabs.<br> Fishhooks can out-prioritize Wesker’s air normals, but they’re slow and leave you at risk for airthrows, which is frankly his best option still since Dorm cannot fight Wesker on the ground at all.<br>While not quite as fast as Magneto, his normals are still much faster than Dorm’s and even outmatch his range. Wesker’s cr. M goes under BOTH Dorm’s standing and crouching Ms and thus basically fucks up Dorm’s day something fierce. <br>Trying to up-back only gets you so far since (again) Wesker’s air throw is much better than yours.<br><br></div>
</blockquote>

Roachking makes this ish free man.  When I try to Flame Carpet, I get shot. Obviously, the close range battle is Wesker’s favor, but a good Wesker player will shut you down. And you are correct about the airthrows on fish hooks.  I got air thrown EVERY time I tried that.  Also, teleporting is still difficult.  Every time I tried this, I got shot during the startup.  Remember, if you charge spells in the air outside of flight, you can’t block or anything.  If you do fly, you can still get grabbed. Also, Wesker can teleport past flame carpet and even Stalker flare for a free punish.  Wesker/Haggar is stupid to fight against with Dorm.  I can’t even safe jump Lariat Assist and once Wesker gets you in, it’s basically over because of Dorm’s size makes him get hit by all of the lariate crouched, standing, or jumping or trying to air dash out of it.  <br>

IMO jill vs dormammu is 6 - 5, ( jills favor) She can invincible dash through all of dormammu’s shit, somersault through his fishhooks, and pretty much counter most things he does (besides random hypers)

Personally, any character that can punish any errant carpet, spell, pillar with a tod combo (non-TAC) is a bad matchup for me, in addition to the list fchamp mentioned, i’d include Cap, Dante, and Skrull.  Those chars have enough tools (hyper charging star, teleport/stinger + assist, meteor smash, rolling hook) by themselves barring assists, and reasonable mobility.      

Skrull’s not too bad a matchup, just because he only has orbital grunge as a decent defensive tool. His buttons are poop.<br><br>His jumpins need to be careful for airthrows and cr.M, orbital is his counter for Dorm’s approach, and can be punished on whiff easily, fatal buster as well. Skrulls occasionally have to guess (understatement of the year). Carpet risks a command grab on reaction anyway, I’d not place them at all, just jump around, and dash or block as needed whenever you see him twitch. On spaces in between his assist, try to land something.<br><br>Rolling hook is harder, but if you aren’t placing carpets, there’s not much he can punish. It’s really just a game of waiting  for him to make a move and just move around the place, just requires a bit of skrull knowledge, teleports with fast projectiles are pretty safe-ish against him too. <br><br>I might be crazy, but if skrull doesn’t have drones or bolts, it’s pretty even, and then there are assists that can snipe those two. Overall, even or at worst slightly skrull’s favor.<br>

What you described could apply to any matchup, as far as waiting to make a move and moving around the place, since dorm is keepaway anyway…i guess because fchamp beat apologyman in that ft10 he doesn’t agree, even tho mag did most of the work…Imo, Skrull can utilize more than just drones/bolts, i’ve seen pairings with strider assist that make it really tough, especially with his long range arm poke that has no hurtbox. What assist snipes drones?

Bolts snipes drones

I’m no pro, but Flame Carpet + Jam Session/Lariat pretty much stop Nova and Zero from doing anything.

What about Deadpool? I feel like it’s similar to the Hawkeye matchup. Fast Projectiles that are hard to nullify.

This is just based off of my experiences I play in the Greater Toronto Area n have been to USA twice I’m assuming the Dorm has missiles, beam or drones.

I fell like Trish (w/ coldstar, beam or missiles) is a 4-6 matchup in Trishs favor. As long as the trish player isn’t a clown and understands that staying the top corner isn’t the goal but getting close to dorm she rapes him her rush down and low dashes are very fast and underrated. Pluss she can jl or j.h>divekick to keep you grounded or to score an instant overhead. At full screen she can throw the boomerang or fireball then move in to mess with your zoning. Basically the deal is she has low health and you have to not get pinned down on the ground or try to swat at here when shes grounded but wattch out for anti air H n S.

I feel like Taskmaster is slightly in Task favor like 4.5-5.5, Shield and dash M as antiairs do good against dorm, task can get reckless on him up close and can instant overhead him and can also get away with far mighty swings since dorm has a big hitbox, at least thats what I do as a Task player vs Dorms LOL. If your playing Dorm vs task its not worth it teleporting on him unless hes close to the corner but of course throw dark matter or beam assist before the port.

Captain American LOL. Id say 4-6…2-8 if you dont know the matchup and think America is ass. America has the best c.l in the game it is 4f (2nd fastest) but has the largest horizantal and verical hit box of all c.l just please never challenge it. Shield throw and charge is also a bitch and never call your assist unless you are full screen, the more bars America has the more reckless he gets. Block alot and tech his throws just runaway full screen so you can call your assist without getting blow up by yolo charging star or hyper charging star.

Honestly almost the whole cast can get a random hit on him no matter what the actual matchup is. Even matches like haggar where its technically in your favour, you have to play way better than the haggar player is playing because he only has to hit you with one of his derpy tools to 100% you whereas you have to place pillars, dark holes, dark matters and flame carpets very well until youve chipped his 1.2 mil life away.

Pretty questionable reasoning since Hidden Missiles, EM Disruptor, and Drones are not Dormammu’s best assists. Cold Star and Missiles are among Trish’ best assists, it’s only fair to give Dorm his own.

Trish does fairly well at close range because Stiletto Heel is +12 on block, so it’s a guaranteed way in if she actually connects (I have not tested whether the disjointed hitbox on Dormammu’s st.L deals with it reliably given proper positioning). However, every character with a high-low game gets better with Cold Star. Pushblocking into FC is still effective if Cold Star is not called at the proper time. She has pretty decent normals to fight Dormammu with on the ground. She has pretty good normals to fight Dorm in the air (j.H being her primary tool).

Trish gets destroyed at long range, doesn’t matter where she is. Full screen on the ground Dormammu has Dark Hole M/H and Liberation M/H. Dark Matter teleport cancel can threaten a mixup but even better, gets him out after a successful pushblock. Low Voltage L gets snuffed out by any non-light normal. She has no answer to 2C1D and Stiletto Kick’s trajectory can often be punished by 2D1C or even 2D0C. Peekaboo and Hopscotch don’t mean anything to Dormammu unless he goes in and why would he do that? 6.5-3.5 in Dormammu’s favor (if we’re taking about Dorm’s best assists here) since by options alone you have forced her into a linear gameplan that’s not as frightening as say Wolverine.

I agree that Taskmaster has the slight advantage. Legion Arrow can punish Dormammu from almost everywhere on the screen as well.

Eh, I’m not convinced by the argument for Captain America. I think it’s in favor of Dormammu as long as you understand the necessary spacing. Hyper Charging Star and Charging Star would be your main worries but CA isn’t a true mauler and he’s not mobile enough to deal with the air game.