Does anybody think being obese is caused by lack of discipline or genetic

I eat a lot. I just shit it all out 15-30 minutes later.

Cola/pop = like eating half a cup of sugar a day.
Ease of access to fast food joints.
Huge portion sizes.

I just read a book called “The Truth About Food” which I thought was more a cooking book about food but it turned out to be a dieting one. It has that study runaround discussed about being overfed as a infant can lead to habits in childhood and adulthood. It’s a huge number of factors but just portion control man. Don’t make every meal have to be a feast. You don’t have to order your appy, entree and dessert everytime, why not just entree and an out of restaurant snack later? I don’t know how we can combat obsesity when we live in an age of social media where we “look for what we want” as opposed to “sending out a message hoping to be consumed.” It’s going to be like Wall-E with our fat chairs and BBW fetishes.

OC

It’s not a blessing dude. It’s a curse.

Although I do enjoy eating ice cream at 4am right before sleeping.

obesity is caused by a combination of overeating, lack of exercise and a society that has increasingly said it’s ok to be a fat fuck.

Lack of discipline.
The genetics answer is a cop out excuse.

It comes with a different price. Instead of being fat fucks, most of us have horribly high blood pressure because of all the salty food we eat. :frowning:

Yeah, I’m not sure why there’s some notion in America that being fat and unhealthy = beautiful. Would you date someone that has poor hygiene and looked unhealthy? Then why would you date someone obese? :expressionless: Obseity is NEVER a good thing, so no one should be saying otherwise.

I think this is a big one. For me, I’ll have to be broke or not living in California to stop eating In n Out 2-3 times a week (I swear I’ve built a tolerance to the place because I almost never feel full from a 3x3 and fries, even though less food from other places makes me hella full). And for about 2 months this year I simply couldn’t afford it, and I lost over 10 lbs. I wasn’t fat in the first place, but fast food is too cheap and convenient. Kinda sucks that healthier, less fatty food tends to be more expensive.

In the end, I think an important fact about weight loss is no single approach works for the masses. Some people need to exercise, some people need to eat healthier, some need a combination of both. Hard to generalize weight loss tactics for the masses when everyone has different lifestyles.

For me, the reason why in n out is deadly is because of the drive-thru. Not only am I getting the greasy cheesburger, fries, and drink, but I don’t have to get out of my car to do it.

Edit: So yeah, ease of access makes fast-food a veeerrry tempting option.

There aren’t many fat people in Somalia.

Please forgive my first post my blackberry is a jackass.

If people were to stop eating fast food they would save a lot of money. If you figured in how many times you bought a 5 dollar foot long a week or the amount of mickey d’s you buy on break you would probably find that you spend more money on fast food than on actual groceries.

It’s really easy for a person with long hours and a white collar job to gain the pounds, even when they’re not overeating. The main problem lies in the fact that humans on a whole weren’t meant to live like this. We’re meant to take in fat and hug onto it for dear life, because 10,000 years ago the average human didn’t know when their next meal was coming. Now we live off easy access grains and all the meats we can eat; we still work for it, but through indirect means.

I call that a blessing.

Not really. You’re not getting any “real” food from the grocery store with dollar menu or five dollar foot-long money son. Buying real food from the grocery store is more expensive than fast food. That is why people settle.

Plus they won’t have to cook it themselves so its a win/win for them. Not saying it isn’t unhealthy but, anyone who knows anything about grocery shopping knows the shit that is good for you is ALWAYS expensive.

Hell, go to a healthfood/whole food store and then go to your local Ctown/Krogers/Stop n Shop and tell me how much of a difference in pricing you see.

Shitty food is cheap and very accessible. Non-shitty food is almost treated like a luxury item. Nobody is required to exercise after 10th grade. Membership gyms are ridiculously priced. Most neighborhoods aren’t exactly safe to jog around. Surprise surprise, poor/urban communities have more obesity problems than wealthier communities.

it’s all political correct bullshit. just a random stat i know off the top of my head, over 50% of black women are obese…let that shit simmer. for other races of women (read: white & latina) the number is somewhere between 35-45%, either way the point is we’re being taken over by fat fucks and they’re forcing us to make excuses for them.

i mean seriously, people have known for hundreds if not thousands of years that fat fuck-ism is caused by eating too damn much while sitting on your ass but now since we’re inundated with all of these lard asses we’re spending billions of dollars a year trying to “figure out” (read: justify) these motherfuckers, shit is disgusting.

if you really wanna cut healthcare, put a law into effect that says if your body fat percentage is over 45% and you catch some obesity shit related then you’re on your own.

if food is so addictive then we need to start treating fat people like other addicts, shun that ass and tell them to shape up. nobody makes bullshit excuses and feels bad for them.

(i’m about to go into jimmy1200 mode, let me stop rambling)

You know whats sad? I’ve convinced myself they give you significantly less fries when you order to go so I haven’t gone through the drive thru in a while. I’m too addicted :crybaby:

Varies from one fatass to another. Some are genetically predisposed to naturally have larger bodies. Some people have no self control or restraint. Some people have a combination of both.

Most have no control but blame the media, their upbringing, their genes, and anything but themselves for their repulsive figures.

They have really good service too. It’s very impressive how their drive-thru people always ask me if I want ketchup or not with my fries. (I usually don’t.)

I really don’t think it’s genetics. Almost all of the genetic defects involving the inability to break down certain compounds involve death.

elaborate…

you can eat healthy for cheap, rice and oats and wheat and grains and shit are hella cheap. the problem is that people can’t eat ‘simple’ healthy food, they gotta have the nice tasty shit. i dont blame them, but poor people who eat ‘poor’ food in poor countries stay pretty thin.