DOA5 Ultimate/Last Round Thread

whoa, tecmo made jan lee free for core fighters for PS3 and PS4 along with some other deals. Each character usually costs $3.99

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-character-jann-lee/cid=UP4108-NPUB31289_00-JANNLEEKEY000000

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-character-jann-lee/cid=UP4108-CUSA01665_00-JANNLEEKEY000000

They already did free Jan Lee a long time ago though. I already got the free download since early last year.
I also have Hitomi, Mila, Kokoro, Leifang. Did they give away downloads for any one else? I hope I didn’t miss any.

They gave some characters for free?? Damn, how could’ve I missed it? :frowning:

Yep, they gave a few characters and costumes for free before. Go claim Jan lee before it goes away.

@Sorwah would probably be the best person to answer this.

From what I heard it was balanced enough lol.

But yeah DOA5LR is having another promotion for breaking I believe either 5.5 million downloads or 6.5 million downloads with free Jann Lee. They are also going to do a DLC price lower for I believe the Hero Pack and Deception for awhile.

Thanks @d3v

Before I get into it, I should mention that I still enjoy DOA3.1 to this day. However, I will say that overall I believe DOA5 to be the better competitive game.

Some things to keep in mind with DOA back then, its competition was Tekken and Virtua Fighter unlike today where it’s more Street Fighter. Also, the community was a lot smaller back then and many “hardcore” competitive fighting players didn’t play the series due to its reputation, which meant many of the terminology and strategies used were different from a Tekken player.

Dead or Alive 3 as it released in the United States in November of 2001 was at its core still just a DOA2 expansion. It took the next 3 months of polish for the Japanese release to really set it apart in terms of game system. The North American version is called 3.0, Asia version called 3.1, and the European version called 3.2. There’s also a modded (re-balanced) version that myself and some of the Europeans have been working on which has been called 3++ and 3.3.

In DOA3, the game wasn’t as stun heavy. You generally played and searched for attacks that either were safe launchers or performed a launch after an initial stun. Two other things that differed from DOA4/5 are that the attack initiating critical stun was counted in the critical threshold (DOA4 had critical threshold begin after the initial hit), and the launch height wasn’t affected by the amount of critical threshold that had been done. This basically made the game focus on the neutral poke game.

One of the biggest complaints you see from people about DOA3 is the 3-point hold system. While I can understand where the argument can be made it’d be made better if it were a 4-point hold system, the game system’s (however intentional) wasn’t focused on attack level type (High Punch, Mid Punch/Kick, Low Kick) but at it’s core of combo extension. This means you’d hold high if you think they were trying to extend the stun system, mid if they were going for a launcher, and low if they were trying to do a reset. The flip side was that if you held, throw damage was HIGH in DOA3. So punishment for holding was extreme. Additionally, there’s ways to punish with attacks intstead of throws in regard to whiff holds. There were more attack strings that were natural combos in DOA3, even worse if performed on a crouching (low holding) opponent. For example, Hayabusa’s 3PPP was a natural combo for the final Punch if the second Punch connects on counter-hit or in stun, but if 3P connected on a crouching opponent then it guaranteed the follow-up Punch which of course guaranteed the ending Punch, which would also cause knockback.

As for throws, the throw system’s slowest throw was from a non-grappler at 7 startup frames and basically were categorized by notation requirements: neutral throws were 4/5 startup depending on grappler-class character, single-direction throws were +1 frame startup, and multi-direction throws were +1 more than single-direction. Some might say that the quick throws were too fast for startup, leading to primarily a throw punish game, but the focus on the quick throw speeds was moreso for reacting to whiffed defensive holds. You can only get Hi-Counter Throw damage during the active frames of the hold window (recovery you get normal throw damage). So having fast throws to compensate for the reaction time (~16-20 frames on average) helped when the hold window was 22 active.

3.1 was also the first in the series to implement Guard Breaks, which went over well even though you could Stagger Escape the breaks. I could go into the stagger escape differences, but isn’t pertinent as much to the reason players prefer 3.1.

And that takes me into the other part of the game that enthusiasts of DOA3 enjoy: The wall system. You had to be completely aware of your spacial positioning in the 3D stage. Why? Because being hit into a wall would cause you to be in a standing unholdable stun with reset to the threshold system. So, being knock-backed into a wall basically meant a free launching combo for an extra 80ish damage for most of the cast. But there were also options depending on character, so you could use the animation time to positionin to the opponent’s back and produce a guaranteed back-turned combo.

Finally, and these are the biggest differences between 3.0 and 3.1, the Free Step system was at its loosest in the series and many characters had frame advantage on block. In regard to the Free Step system this would not only allow you to Free Step Dodge around what previously would be auto-tracking attacks, but allow you space better in the environment and even step wake-up kicks in specific situations. This was toned down to DOA4 levels in 3.2 (along with some other minor frame data changes) where you could no longer step some of the strings. One problem, and the main reason it was toned down, was Hayate’s Free Stepping Cartwheel became extremely evasive due to the looseness of the system even allowing him to step throws. For the advantage on block, while not every character had it in their repertoire (character individuality), it was something that the competitive community enjoyed. The game was able to provide players the ability to create and utilize frame trap setups. This also gave the pressure to an attacker to force an guarding opponent to hold attacks or be stuck in endless defensive pressure.

So, off the top of my head, that’s about all I can come up with. If you have any questions I’d be happy to expand on or answer them.

The second two of your three are from DOA2U.

Team Ninja makes better stages than Capcom.

Naotora Ii has been released today:

That wall carry wtf?

DOA5LR at FR19

Spoiler

https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Does TN not update the PS3 version anymore? I didn’t get any update for Naotora…

Naotora is only coming to the PS4, XBox One, PC and Arcade versions of the game.

How the hell is the PC version still getting updates? I thought they bailed out of that.

Nah they just bailed on providing lobbies and upgrading the software to dx11

I really hate how they handled Last Round on the PS3 and 360. We can’t even get a physical release and now exclusive characters we can’t get.

last video of the documentary is up

Hi im new on shoryuken, i search some other thread and topic on DOA5LR (im on Free step dodge too) but i find nothing…its the only thread on DOA ?

Yes.

Because for some reason we can get a Tekken and Divekick subforum but not a DOA one. :weary: