Do most people hate facing Ryu?

Just SF4 Ryu because the noobish SF4 system works in his favor.

I rarely heard anyone say they hated facing Ryu pre-SF4.

Yea, trading with cr.hp and juggling into U1 is very unfair for Abel.

cr.mk beats shoto jump-ins clean.

My main issue with this is that if you trade against a jumping opponent with, for example, Ryu’s lp DP you can immediately go into U1. An Abel player needs to have a good eye to see the jump coming because the time frame on cr.hp to send them into a juggle state is narrow, not to mention that busting out U1 at the right time also takes practice (compared to, y’know, just spamming QCF + PPP so your ultra comes out as soon as the trade ends).

And cr.mk is a ballsy anti-air. If they jump happily from suboptimal distances, yeah, it’ll beat the jump in. It’s not exactly a move you use to get the pressure off you though.

That doesn’t change the fact that an anti-air trade is potentially in Abel’s favor, which is the opposite of what Schabernack said. Timing is easy because they fall at a slower pace than normal. It just takes practice to get used to it. Anytime a shoto jumps in againist Abel when he has U1 intact, they’re taking a big risk.

You’d be surprised how solid that move is as an anti-air. Abel kicks above his head so unless the move extends very vertically or crosses up it will beat the jump-in. Timing is not hard; it’s faster than cr.hp and less risky. Those aren’t the only two; you also have EX CoD which has armor, EX falling sky, and Roll if you don’t want to deal with the pressure.

cr. mk beats ryu jump in clean… you’re doing it from too far away if it trades

I don’t hate them it’s always free PP and BP, good Ryus are rare.

Rather Ryu than Ms.Unbrockabre Ibuki.

That bitch is always on the scene, the anime scene.

Daigo made Ryu look fun around Super time when fierce Shoryuken was 2 hits and he would throw it out whenever he could, he used to take the risk. That however made everyone and their grandma play Ryu online even more, but it was free PP for me as Bison. He had his motion ultra 2 and idiots would just fireball at full screen, free ultra. absorb fireballs with focus, repeat.

what?

people hate ryu because of how often they face him and how strong he is in low - medium level of play.

its obviously a whole different story in high level play, but low-mid, damn that guy is annoying.

People say ryu is boring?.. What about gief? All he can do is basically walk forward or jump hoping for that command grab. Same could go for most of the grapplers as well. I personally think they are boring as hell.

its

dude its not about the character capabilities of evading, punishing, offfense and defense, but the frequent of being said character you’ll meet online.

ryu is too overated, he makes dis’ game so dull. its quite boring if you bump him 8times per online set.

Overrated? I don’t think he’s overrated at all. Possibly overplayed, but surely not overrated. And even overplayed is questionable insofar that he’s capable of playing any style to a degree and is nothing but fundamentals. He’s easily the best newbie character in the game. That’s a merit that warrants widespread play more than most others.

That’s got to be the funniest shit I’ve ever read. I hate to revive older threads but this post definitely warrants a reply… don’t know how I missed it before. Ryu does not require “insane execution skillZ”, he requires knowing how to link normals into specials. He’s got a few tricky combos but they are nowhere near as hard as some of the combos other characters require you to master. He’s got simple QCF, QCB and DP motions that are easy as hell to pull off. Don’t put an easy character on a pedestal just because you use him brah.

Ryu is overrated. Did you not watch the animes!? :o

i like fighting ryus because i get free points just blocking dps

Ran into someone who had just destroyed my ryu and taunted me the whole time. I looked at this obnoxious person’s profile and his motto was “ryu killer” and his bio said something along the lines of “destroying the ryu army one scrub at a time”. I was like seriously dude. I wish I could run into him again since I’ve improved a lot.

serves you rite…LOL !
i wonder what character you lost to?
is he (or was he) a rushdown player?

but whatever it is, that guy is not me coz’ i don’t fight with Ryu.
whenever my opponent pick ryu on selection screen, i just Alt-F4…nuff said.

I actually don’t mind fighting Ryus that aren’t predictable. It depends on the player, but I see him too often. On the other hand, for some reason many Kens I come across are very douchy and like to taunt a lot.

wow i thought i was the only one, i have been like this since sf4 came out and always stole the joy of the game from me, to really invest more then just casual play,25 years of ryu , im actually stoked when its a ken, all my friends still play ken or ryu, i usually just jump around and be annoying when i get ryu, mutterin "look mister originalty, cast this large
and 8 out of 10 would be ryu online, sf4 is good now to me to bad everyone advanced while i faded , as now usually i see alot of the cast played now and most are decent players

to be honest every fucking noob nowadays plays Akuma and Seth online
there are days i play online and dont see any ryu but akumas and seths , there are milions of them
so fuck you all who’s saying ryu is overused … that was maybe true in the past but right now the only overused chars online are seth and akuma