Dee Jay's midscreen EX MGU Dash Ultra 2!

Edit Nov. 14, 2010: No_Cigar’s video tutorial of EX MGU dash Ultra: [media=youtube]0HlQHAYNksM[/media]

It was recently discovered and confirmed by several SRK posters that DeeJay can reliably combo into his Ultra 2, Climax Beat, midscreen. Since then, discussion of this combo and questions about this combo have flooded into most of the other DeeJay threads, diverting discussion about the topics of those threads off course. To this end, I am creating this thread to hopefully consolidate discussion of the technique behind this combo in one place.

DeeJay’s midscreen combo into Ultra 2 is done first by comboing into his EX Machine Gun Upper (EX MGU), and then performing a dash Ultra 2. This particular motion is one of the trickiest motions in the game, basically, and it looks something like this:

EX MGU (I forgot to mention, do NOT mash out extra hits on the EX MGU), then immediately go to :db: to begin charging. After the EX MGU ends, dash with :r::r:, then continuing in one fluid motion, rotating the joystick through to up-back: :df::d::db::l::ub:

The tricky part is that, instead of dashing as soon as possible after the EX MGU ends, you actually have to wait just a tiny bit in order to finish charging the ultra.

The whole thing then looks like this: combo whatever into EX MGU, immediately charge :db:, EX MGU ends, slight pause, then :r::r::df::d::db::l::ub:

Here is a visual example of the combo, courtesy of the DeeJay Video Thread: [media=youtube]jA0mneTRByk[/media]

DeeJay can also combo EX MGU walk forward Ultra 2. The problem with this is, in my experience, this only works off an EX MGU done right next to your opponent, whereas the dash version lets you combo into the EX MGU and still hit the Ultra afterward.

Hopefully this helps answer people’s questions on how to do the combo. Even knowing how it works, it’s still quite difficult to do, but it’s so good to have the thread of big damage midscreen that it should be worth the effort put in.

Some more helpful advice:

Edit: Graham made this post a week and a half ago that claims to make the combo much more reliable:

Most people know the motion. What people really wants to know, is what we are doing wrong, since we are able to do all other dash ultras easy, but i cant do deejays a single time.

Any clue? Someone mentioned letting the stick go into neutural before dashing, but i have yet to try it.

After the EX MGU:

:db:(charge) :r::r: (this is the dash) then, :db: :ub: + :3p:

I dont know if this can be called reliable yet. There appears to be some random element in the dash timing. Dash ultra 2 by itself is a breeze, but timing that dash after the ex uppercut isnt something i think can be reliably done, first frame is too fast, 2nd frame works sometimes, other times they are too far down, as if they were launched a different height.
There’s something wonky going on with this combo.

The only thing I can suggest to think about besides what I’ve already written is you want to be hitting PPP right as DeeJay is finishing his dash. Pretty much right as he touches the ground, actually.

Of course, now that I’ve posted this thread, I’ve lost the feel for the combo again. It’s just tough like that.

This is all some pretty awesome advice. I’m only up to a 3-4% accuracy rate, though. However, that’s better than the 0% that I was at before this thread was made.

Speaking of combo threads, could one of the better Dee Jay players make a consolidated combo thread?

Lol now I’m hyped to go practice this combo again.

I think people are making two mistakes, one is that they don’t delay their dash a tiny bit after ex mgu.
To get a little extra charge when comboing into it you should input it db, c.mp, u, db, PP, that way you’ll get more charge than you normally would.
The second mistake is that people are probably inputing the motion too fast, and because DeeJay’s dash isn’t the fastest this causes the ultra to not come out at all.

The timing people should be going for is either you get dash nothing, or you get dash ultra that connects, rather than getting dash ultra that whiffs or combos.
Of course the best timing would be to nail it all the time, but until you get there it’s better not to lose the ultra when you mess up.

Doing the motion to fast you say? The few times i have managed to do it, i have had the feeling i was doing it very fast. Maybe it just felt fast, and i actually it was negative-edge that made the ultra come out.

Skatan (Hei, normann her), i remember you playing chun in vanilla. Chun’s dash is very fast, yet i had no problems doing her ultra. How fast would you say you are doing the inputs, when you are comparing chun, guile and deejay?

I literaly spent 2 hours trying dash ultra 2 yesterday with no luck, just a few flukes. Im just looking for any tips that can help

exploid, can you not get dash Ultra 2 at all, or just not after EX MGU? If you can’t get it at all, try doing what I said before and ending your motion - that is to say, pressing up-back and PPP - right as DeeJay’s touching the ground on his dash forward.

I finally managed to do EX MGU dash Ultra facing right once. I’ve done at least 25 times facing left, but for some reason I’m terrible at dashing right. I might have to figure out a new grip on the stick or something.

Allright, il try that.

Since I’m used to Chun’s dash I have to slow down the input a lot from what I’m used to.
Not so much with Guile’s though, if we’re talking about his u2, or any character that has a b,f,b,f ultra/super.
The game seems to give a shorter buffer for db,df,db,uf ultras than the regular bfbf ones, but I could be wrong.

I was actually talking about guile ultra 1. I did on it first try in traning mode, and i dont know why deejay is so hard for me. I also mained chun in vanilla. Il try to slow it down a notch.

See you at dreamhack :slight_smile:

Hey guys I’ve been trying to get this combo down all day yesterday and managed to pull it off once out of maybe 30 times I tried it.

What seemed to happen to me is that I’d get the motion and the charge down, but it just felt like the dash wasn’t coming out. It looked like I hit U2 a little too early instead of waiting to do the motion after the dash. Another thing that seemed to help was to think of the motion as one continuous circle instead of riding the gate.

I’ll be home later to practice this some more. It seems like it’s very strict timing. Something that you just can’t mash out.

is it me or is the negative edge making the ultra come out?

everytime i’ve gotten this or the walk ultra it was the negative edge doing the trick.

I think that you should add that Dee Jay’s forward dash is very awkward in the sense that if you input the command as soon as he lands from the hop it will not come out. You have to wait till a bit after he is grounded before you are allowed to execute any commands. This was the biggest hurdle I had to overcome and I foresee a lot of the reason people can’t do his dash U2 period.

Also to make the bizarre command easier for some people, as soon as I started treating the ultra like an instant SPD I can do it nearly 90% of the time. Just dash forward and input an instant SPD and bingo!

Honestly, “the slight pause after EX MGU” is unnecessary if not misleading. You have more than enough charge. You have to dash VERY quickly after the EX MGU to even have a chance of hitting the opponent as they fall. The slight pause after dash is what is the most confusing.

Same here man, when I’ve gotten it to work it’s seemed to me like I did the motion so fast that there was a delay between when I hit PPP and when the ultra came out. I think you need to hit PPP a little earlier than you would input a normal after a dash.

ive managed to get my success rate up to about 60-70%. i even managed to get it three times in a row today. I foresee that once enough practice has been put into it we should all be able to use this reliably. And gammon is right you cant hit punches as soon as your feet hit the ground from the dash since thats not the end of it. theres a few frames you have to wait before doing it. but im getting close to doing it every time.

I’ve never gotten U2 to come out when dashing at the first available opportunity after the EX MGU. It’s only ever come out when waiting for a split-second or two after the EX MGU had ended. That’s even with doing the down, c.MP, up, down+PP to start charging ASAP during the EX MGU. I will add your advice to the first post, though, since it very well may help other people more than my advice.

Regarding the PPP timing, I think the reason my timing was working for me may well be because of negative edge. I’ll try waiting a little longer later on and see how that works.

ive managed to get the ultra to come out without waiting after EX MGU. its even easier to connect with since theyre higher when you come out of the dash.

I didnt know the EX MGU would come out if i was holding DB but its helping me a lot :slight_smile: thank you