Dee Jay Match Up Chart

Abel 4.5 or 4 - DWU makes this match annoying, hard to keep him out and can’t keep up with his damage. unfortunately matchup knowledge mostly comes down to guess better. If deejay had better meterless damage i could give it a 5, but meterless all you get is like cl. mk cr. mk or a lot of jabs to build charge depending on situation

Adon 6 I haven’t played a really strong adon in ultra, but every time i did in 2012 i won. The tools we lost don’t really hurt this matchup. Adon’s wake up was already funky lol Ex sobat and slide to beat jag kicks and slide within roundhouse range, watch for focus and upkick really late. He can change his jump arc so don’t commit to any AA. If you have the reactions then i think it’s our favor. Once you shut down the jag kick game adon doesn’t have much.

Akuma 4 - you have to deal with cr. mk and cr. hk now. No more forcing the akuma player to press more than two buttons. So now neutral is worse. Everything else should be the same. DWU helps both players, but i think it hurt deejay more because most akuma don’t have a legit safe jump anyway, just a bait jump.

Blanka 3-7 or worse LK sobat hurt the neutral so bad. Can’t do anything or you get hit by slide. Lk sobat is a 1f punish now, but good luck landing it. Think this might be an 8-2 when played correctly, but just a 6-4 against the scores of bad blanka. Get in, go nuts and try to bait the reversal is all i can say.

Balrog/Boxer 5 - Think this is still even, LK sobat loss hurts the far neutral and will hurt against sweep heavy rogs, but everything else is unchanged. You can react to the new overhead.

Cammy 5 - Cammy players, learn the matchup!!! Damn, you guys just want all your matches to be the same lol once they learn the match this might turn into her favor.

Claw 4.5 - learning towards 4.5 because he can get in. His jump roundhouse hits deep so slide AA can betray you. Ground game is nasty and takes discipline and experience to stop. new lk sobat can help, but no true blockstring makes it a false hope. So get in and abuse that til they wisen up or get ultra to blow up the gap

Cody 3 - Idk why anybody thinks this is 6-4 our favor. Cody is the only character in the game deejay cannot reversal even with ultra and super. Once they learn the right setup, then it’s over. Like if deejay ever got buffed Cody would be my top 3 in terms of just counterpicking him. Problem is the same as cammy tho. Cody players don’t know the matchup so most of us don’t know the struggle. This is a match deejay should not win after getting knockdown once. New lk sobat helps a little.

Viper 5.5/6 - Lk sobat hurts this too. Seismo pressure has to be dealt with accordingly without low invul. Wait til you get that bar and make them pay. The only match deejay still wins, but viper’s comeback potential is better w/o low invul and low foward xx mp TK xx RFA > dash > ultra

Dan - unsure, but i could see dan beating deejay. He’s got some tricky stuff.

Decapre - ask ves

Deejay 0 - You both lose for choosing a shitty character

Sim 4 - Nothing was given to us to help this match. LK sobat maybe, but idk haven’t played it in ultra

Dictator 4 - Sucks lk sobat is gone. no more jab jab walk forward lk sobat to beat cr. tech. One of deejay’s easier 6-4

Dud 3/4 - Tough match. Dud gets max damage combos and max juggle. Just plain BS, it’s w/e tho. Zoning is the only way and only a master deejay can keep out a really good dud. fireball and choose between cr. mk and slide. He has to walk and duck to get in or jump and we can stop dud from doing those at the right space. Ex upkicks can hit him crouching depending on what he does. slide in neutral actually works in this match, but know your spacing. If you don’t, then you’ll quickly see why i gave it a 3. A lot of dud’s not playing this right. SEE: 34

Elena - no clue, but old lk sobat could have mauled her imo depending on hitboxes of her moves.

Elf - Fuck that character, 5 years and i still don’t know how to legitimately beat him. My fault tho.

E ryu 4 - low forward, a lot of damage, good ground game, and we can’t reversal. If we keep them out then we can win or if we keep him in the fireball game then we’re straight, but other than that it’s tough. I didn’t mind it in 2012. Only e ryu i lost to is DBJ, forgot how i fucked up and gave him the win lol

Fei 4 - don’t think it’s a 3 anymore. cr. lk helps punish rekkas from a lot of ranges. It’s just a really annoying 6-4. We can hurt his wake up really bad. Forward throw whiff cr. HP is nasty. He can delay, but he can’t punish w/e setup we go for. Just tech the throw or late tech if you think he’ll still wake up with dp.

Gouken 5 - Think this match is finally even, simply for the fact gouken lows are important and no lk sobat invul. Gotta deal with sweep and cr. mp which is how i controlled neutral against most gouken. You’ll be doing more blocking, but everything else is the same. Just neutral is going to be harder if you abused lk sobat against him.

Guile 4 - They just didn’t do anything to change this match. I’m willing to sobat because it’s safe, but i can’t because it will just get beat by low forward plus every other button guile has. 5f fierce too stronk.

Guy 3/4 - You are helpless, new run stop pressure, better elbow, max damage, good luck. Bad guys will still be about the same tho.

Hakan 4 - With oil at the start it’s tough. He’s at advantage. You can’t jump at him, hard to zone, and once you get him blocking you have to respect the mash SPD. You have to respect him til he has no meter and no oil, but he builds meter well cause of DNC.

Honda 4 - new j. mp, only thing that makes this matchup better than it was in 2012 is ex headbutt being punishable by ultra i think, so knee shot bait and hold that down back charge. Honestly honda players who think this match is not in their favor don’t know how to jump properly with their character.

Hugo 4/5 - When hugo players get better this match will change. Tired of hearing 6/4 deejay and 7/3. There are still plenty of things to learn with hugo. Defensively he’s basic, but offensively there is much to learn. Deejay is so one dimensional, hugo’s mixup deals with command grabs. Deejay hates command grabs.

Ibuki 4/5 - This match really comes down to beating the player imo. Never met an ibuki i was afraid of. Took some L’s but it wasn’t about complaining about the matchup. It was about just choosing the wrong option and not sticking with the game plan.

Juri 4 - Can’t reversal without super or ultra 2, can’t jump in, can’t get outzoned, no lk sobat invul so you gotta deal with everything. None of her nerfs or changes strongly impacted this matchup.

Ken 4 - low foward is hell, step kick is hell, that’s the whole match now. Deal with it.

Makoto 4/5 - Don’t know why ppl put this in deejay favor. I heard he can keep her out, but for how long? This ain’t ST where you keep ppl out til they do something clever or you fuck up. You just can’t keep good Mak out. There aren’t many good mak so i feel it’s unfair to even judge this match til we sit down and break down the match. Also I’ve never lost a set to a Mak so i’m leaning towards even. I just can see what makoto can do to make it in her favor.

Poison 3/3.5 - Fireball better than guiles, buttons more annoying than guile, combo off armor breaking anti projectile move, combo off overhead, corner pressure can only be stopped with U1/2. Good luck. Only saving grace is you can stop her wake up. Neutral is all hers. Don’t even fucking bother. Pray they make a mistake.

Oni 5 - probably even cause low forward is stubby and we can keep him out with well placed cr. mk, but his footsies are better and i’m sure he gets max damage bs. Just don’t want to put a number cause i haven’t sat down with a good oni and talked to him about it.

Rolento 5

Rose - 3.5/4 i’ll comment after work. already running late.

i’m wide open to any suggestions or revisions that’s not on any match i have deemed 3. Those are irrefutable.

Decapre can just pressure deejay linearly with hands/overhead/throw, u2/ex spiral shits on his projecitles and slide can work now and then. He doesn’t really have a poke to contend with st.hp, so if he’s fishing with cr.mp for cr.mk he can get in trouble with st.hp. He has huge problems with u1 too as it’s great in neutral vs. him and due to his hitbox it’s amazing vs. him on wakeup.

Every combo leads back into a safejump into blockstring into high/low, or she can just kill backcharge(combo to slide then corpsehop), and press buttons. Once a lifelead is established decapre can just sit on downback. Her cr.jab has a great hitbox, and psycho sting makes attempting to poke with spaced higher strength sobats or kneeshot no beuno. You’re basically forced to chip with L sobat cause of her anti projectile options and hope she doesn’t hit cr.mk and put you back into the blender.

One of the huge things here is Decapre builds an enormous amount of meter from just blocksting pressure and becuase of Deejay’s design he has to block. He’s pretty much going to be at a 2-1 meter deficit the entire match while her meter is also more valuable than his at the same time.

6-4 or better Decapre.

Rose 3.5/4 she can play the fireball game better than deejay becausef of reflect. She plays footsies where he can’t. Buffed damage, she can backdash for free cause it’s hard to os her. Orbs can be annoying. Hope she backdashes herself into the corner and try to keep her there. Not sure if cr. Mp xx spiral losses to mk up kicks anymore.

Rufus 5 I believe it’s even. Deejay can’t reversal against rufus despite his size. Glitch showed me. He thinks Rufus favor and it might be because I think it takes a lot of discipline as a deejay to win and knowledge. AA is dangerous. Choose wisely. We can go ham on his wake up tho.

Ryu 4.5 only because Ryu relies on his fireball more than any shoto. That cr. Mk is going to be a bitch now. Leaning towards 4 imo. Deejay just loses neutral if the Ryu doesn’t Chuck plasma. And there are crossup tatsu to best our wake up.

Sagat 5

Sakura 4

Seth 3 still imo

T Hawk 5 or worse

Yang 5 or yang favor

Yun 3

Gief 4

I’ll explain after work, but I think it’s going to be hard to convince me otherwise.

Almost every match got worse on the point scale or worse in neutral.

Rose doesn’t feel that terrible. At worst I’d say it’s like a 4 / 6 her favor. Just can’t let her play her game of frame trapping with cr MP. I found that cr HP actually works pretty well as a counter poke against her. That, and with DeeJay’s floaty jump animation, it’s easy for the other person to mistime Anti-Airing. Alternate between j. MK, Knee Shot, j. LP, j. HK and it shouldn’t be too difficult. Also, far st MK works well to counter poke as the hit box for it feels a lot farther out than it seems. Far st LK is really good too to try and dissuade sliding from her as if you had a charge, that’s easy confirm into L Sobat. Throw less than 5 fireballs through out the match and they tend to be a bit confused. When Rose comes in, just use your pokes to keep her out. Zoning Rose is weird regardless, but this match isn’t impossible. However, I did just finish a set of like 5 hours against one Rose player, so I may be a bit biased when I say these things, haha.

Rose vs DJ 3-7. She dominate at every range. DWU doesn’t help either.

DJ’s OS is weak ass hell. That’s why Guile, Rose and Sim is still going to be tough. DWU fucked us over.

Lk sobat nerf is the biggest bs. I’m so sick of Shotos, Viper and Yang’s cr.mk…and Ibuki players spam the hell out of slide. And we can’t do anything about it but take the dick. I’m done

yeah rose can backdash for free unless you just guess sobat or something. so dumb

You can punish ibuki’s slide with cr mp.

That’s my biggest problem with trying to OS a back dash. It’s always a guess, not a good OS. I hate that we have to rely on hard reads on off our own knockdown vs characters with good backdashes. Actually, unless their wake up is as bad as ours (Rolento lol) then it’s always a guess.

Spacing is a big factor when it comes to slides

Yo is event hubs on fuckin’ crack? How is Chun-Li 5-5? How are so many of these matches 5-5? Unreal. Maybe it’s just me raging quietly but I have the worst fucking time beating Chun Li. Her overhead special kick leaves her at -1 at most and she’s basically free to stick whatever the fuck she wants out afterwards without any retaliation from Dee Jay. Her neutral game is better, and what’s she worried about at full screen? Getting zoned out like Bison? I find that hard to believe.

The entire match is based 100% around reads for me for counter-pokes or baiting wiffs in the neutral game or reading aggression and making a hard counter. What am I going to do, zone her at full screen? It’s not like she doesn’t have an easy safe way around fireballs. Half the time my normal AA gets traded or beat out anyways, but maybe I’m just shit (which is highly likely). God damn I’m just started to get bitter as fuck. I gotta try my hardest and she just has to slap out some special moves and a few buttons to maintain constant pressure. Why Capcom, why?

probably no one has ever really voted on deejay matchups. lol

Idk what to do against Yun’s target combo into shoulder. Leaves him at perfect spacing to fuck us. What’s the options?

edit: Noticing that the target combo into shoulder isn’t a true block string at the end, so you can fish for focus to punish. My biggest problem was with the HK followup from Yun as it out ranges any of DJ’s decent pokes, but it seems like you can use st.HK or cr.HK to beat it out after blocking the shoulder. Focus seemed like a good answer too after the shoulder, I think it hits the extended limb still from Yun as I imagine it would be too far out of range normally.

Still, frustrating night. Playing a guy, kicking a decent amount of butt, then he switches to Cody. Not the easiest matchup but I deal with it, it’s a good learning experience and after losing a few times I have a handle on his habits and a limited amount of Cody’s potential in the match. Then he switches to Yun and it is just frustrating. Abusing that target combo into shoulder all day to maintain pressure. Upkicks auto corrects like crazy. Dive kicks are not the easiest to anti air at sweep range, at least it was hard for me to react to them while not focusing exclusively on anti-airing, without a down charge it was difficult. I didn’t think Yun had too much trouble navigating around fireballs because he can get around them so many different ways with that dive kick, makes it hard to anti air him. Ah well…salt is real tonight. Biggest problem was I assumed shoulder was an armor breaker, could have sworn it had armor breaking properties at one point, but I guess not, so I never gave focus a try. Didn’t know the startup of Yun’s far HK was 12 frames or that the shoulder was -3 on block, didn’t realize I could have beaten it with L Sobat after blocking or St.HK or Cr.HK. Live and learn.

Just one of those matches where you know you can out play the guy but you’re getting beaten by the matchup and lack of knowledge in it, frustrating.

You talk like EventHubs is a valid place to acquire information on any character, it’s all bad. The MU ratings are all ass to me as well, I have a friend who swears by the information on it and he’s convinced Sakura is bottom 3 and requests buffs. EventScrubs.

St.mp and cr.hp are brilliant to stop Yun’s divekick, and I usually just block after Yun’s shoulder and wait for a clear opportunity, remember he has low health so once you get in you can turn the match around in an instant. I care more about stuffing his divekick attempts as opposed to calculating options after a shoulder, considering half of the time DeeJay’s option is to just block. And then block…down-back…BLOOOOOOCKKK

I try not to look at E Hubs unless I’m not entirely sure about a match up. Like, there are some matches where I’m like, yeah it does suck or yeah it’s really good, but for the most part I form my own opinions on DeeJay’s match ups. In terms of Yun though, I need more practice in that match, really. I play a friend of mine who uses 'em and I start to get used to some of the tendencies, I just have a hard time going on offense when Yun uses his DP. Then at far, it’s awkward to zone cuz he can EX Shoulder through a lot of stuff. Like I said though, I definitely need more practice in that match, but I’m already doing the dive kick stopping stuff. At least the match isn’t as terrible as it was before with those AA’s helping~

I need some practice against Chun, Viper and Rose…Viper is a weird one, nobody plays her and whenever I come across a good Viper I’m clueless.

Chun and Rose are just bad MUs from the get-go, I just struggle with those characters.

Yea chun and rose are horrifying. I seem to do well vs viper. I don’t think dj is at a disadvantage in that match. Upkicks dominate silly burn kick attempts. I like backdashing after blocking a medium thunder knuckle. Not sure technically how good that is but it works well for me. She is easy to keep out and pressure when you knock her down imo. Her uppercut is like 7 frames so it’s easy to safe jump. It only gets really tricky when they ex seismo feint on their wakeup, but if you OS a throw you’re golden.

Edit: ok yea freejay has the viper match as 6-4 in deejays favor. Not sure if it has anything to do with the reasons I mentioned. I’m nowhere near his level

I can’t find a way to beat sakura. Played a longish set against a good one last night and lost every game. I find it pretty hard to zone her. She’s a pain to anti air. Good players aren’t going to jump at you with down charge and the air tatsu makes my AA whiff all too often. Once she’s in it’s just frame trap city, which destroys me.

Anyone got any tips on this matchup? Should we just take the offense to her instead of trying to zone to victory?

Edit: also wake up fierce… that shit’s so dumb. it aa’s everything so any jumpin on her wakeup needs to be perfectly meaty. I’m really not used to that. Being meaty usually gets you tagged by srks. It’s usually about the angle you come in at that makes dp’s and similar reversals whiff, but the same kind of thing just loses to wake up fierce. What do you guys do when you knock down sakura?

I would close to agree with that, DeeJay is difficult to AA in that match, especially on knockdown, his Upkicks destroy burn kicks, and his air normals are pretty good too. Just get in Viper’s face and stay there, that’s usually what I do.

I’m just bad against Viper that’s all, I do endless against quite a good one and he dominates me for free. I genuinely can’t remember ever winning with DeeJay, I have to use my Cody.

Sakura tips? Zone, and AA her jump-ins. I will say when she gets close her light Tatsu feels like the cheapest shit in the world, I’ve had so many annoyances where I’ll block light Tatsu, do a late cr.tech and get blown up by an EX Tatsu. Why the fuck is it +2, it’s ridiculous. I’ve never tried going in against her, but her wake-up isn’t great so I imagine it would be a viable tactic to take, it’s just the fact of taking a reversal into insane Sakura damage that would stop me from doing it, and being knocked down against Sak isn’t pretty at all.