Dee Jay Match Up Chart

I know there is already a match up thread with a google doc, but it is incomplete and given Ultra is a new game, the match up chart data is old. Most of it seemed to go off of the Eventhubs Match chart and a lot of that was contested in the doc as well as some of it completely undocumented. So I decided to make a match chart for DeeJay using opinions and evaluations from the Google doc and I’m looking for more feedback on the chart. I have pretty much left myself out of the chart to avoid bias and made a personal chart on the right side for my own use to track my impressions of various match ups, etc.

If you guys could give feedback and elaborate on specific match ups you don’t agree with I’d love to add it to the chart as many of the match ups are just sitting at whatever Eventhubs thought in 2012. Dee Jay vs Oni is 5-5? Do you guys still think that’s relevant? What match ups do you think need re-evaluation?

Hugo is 7 easy, and ex upkicks hits him crouching so it makes it even easier. He cannot get in.

Rose is 5, you have to take the time to learn the match up itself, you can’t play dee jay like you normally would.

Hakan is 6, free on wake up, can’t really zone us. No idea why it is in his favor on the chart :s

Juri is 4, her pressure is bananas, so is her zoning. And what are you going to do when she is using her ultra? Not much.

Ryu is 6, once you have a meter they can’t do much.

Seth is either 4.5 or 5, I play against a local one a LOT, and he wins a lot of tourneys so I’ve patiently learned the match up.

Cammy 6, you keep her out, deal with shenanigans easily.

Chun-Li is a nightmare for me, I give it a 4. Her buttons are strong, and with lk.sobat not going over lows, it makes the match up even tougher.

No idea about fuerte, I only lose to him because I need more experience.

Gouken 6, get in easy, no scary pressure on wake up, and we get to go ham on HIS wake up.

Sagat is 6 for the same reason as many others, it’s easy to get in, plus he has a big hurtbox. Only downside is his height, which won’t let you combo off knee shot with s.mk and stuff.

Yang is 5.

Yun is 4, maybe even 3. Fuck that character is good.

Claw is 4, I get crushed by him :frowning:

Whenever I get a chance, I’ll make a matchup chart . DJ only beats Hugo, Hawk, Cammy and Rufus. That’s it.

3-7: Guile, Sim, Yun, Blanka, Seth, Fei Long

Arguably… Poison, Elena,Rose and Guy.

If you make a match chart, we should also add tactics to deal with current match ups. I’ll have some free time next week and we can work on it together.

For example, even though fei dj is 7-3 or 6-4; punishing feis pokes will help you turn the match in your favor.

Blanka beats Deejay 8-2. I think calling deejay’s bad matchups 3-7’s is really being nice about how bad he is.

also still don’t see how he beats Cammy. Like what if she just doesn’t jump into upkicks and just plays like she’s sakura without a fireball?

Also decapre beats him. Kbrad can’t do hands with decapre so his opinion is kinda ehhh. she can do super cheap stuff on knockdowns vs. him. Can’t zone her, can’t beat her in footsies, she does more damage than him, and she can pressure him easily.

I think Dee Jay still does reasonably against Viper, though it is more meter-dependent now.

With the LK Sobat change, I think the Ryu/Claw matchups have gotten significantly harder, on top of a few others.

Now why does Decrapre beat Dee Jay? If you´re awake and zone her out there´s nothing she can do.
Her teleport gets beaten by either FA or block -> punish (stupid EX slide breaks armor though).
Her uppercut has a lot of recovery, too. Blocking it grants a huge punish.
Her “super cheap stuff” is easily blocked since you can smell it miles away, I´ve yet to see any cross ups from her teleport, so simply blocking on wake up saves your life, not too much guessing.
And it doesn´t seem to me that he has exceptional good normals, either.

Cammy is easily beaten, too. Her only options for savely closing in would be FA through fireballs, well timed Knuckles or Cannon Strikes, which can be zoned pretty well in order to block/punish or FA/whatever you like (spare the AB Knuckels). Cammy cannot play like a Sakura without fireballs, since she has to rely on her jump ins (especially on her opponents wake up), plus she does not have a 0 frame cr. hp for anti air and has to rely on blocking or using her dp which has enough recovery to grab a coffee before punishing it.

Besides, Sakura sucks. She has a crappy fireball, only her EX moves are really good to keep up with our zoning, and if she doesn´t get in she has no way of doing serious damage (stupid loops…)

Also, Elena has some weird moves and hit/hurtboxes, but if you watch your spacing and correctly zone her out, she has a hard time getting in to cause damage, I think (but it seems to me that no one really plays her).

Rolento can get ugly, but only if you don´t know what he is doing. He has some good normals and one and a half good anti airs among them, but thats it. It seems that you cannot punish any of his rolling attacks on block, and the first hit of his Rekkas seems pretty save to me, but everything else can be punished pretty well. Zoning seems to be less effective here because of all those quick rolls.

No need to talk about Hugo here, he´s crap. His EX Lariat can catch you off the wrong foot (if you jump, he can use his Back Breaker for some good damage if Lariat hits you out of the air), but his huge hurtbox makes him fall into a lot of fireballs he tries to jump over (even when it doesn´t seem to hit him for real), plus its easy to hit him with anything that Dee Jays AA disposal has to offer, from far st. hp to cl. st. mp or slide U2, everything works at its best.

I think all of these matchups are in Dee Jays favor. Maybe not 8-2, but 6-4 mostly.

Poison has a really good zoning game by herself, and some really good normals, plus the hitbox of her U1 projectile surprises me everytime. This is 5-5 at best, if not in her favor because she has this really fucked up hurtbox that makes a lot of Dee Jays combos whiff and unusable, and even adapting to her hurtbox may cost damage potential where other characters would´ve been hit for good.

Sakura and Decapre are both 4-6 matchups.

@mustardman‌ So I main Decapre now and once long ago I mained Deejay, and I still like to use him once in awhile.

Normal scramble is bad outside of knockdowns, but in neutral ex scramble has an armor break option(hp break), a fully invincible advancing option(mp break), and ex cannon strike which is actually just as plus as Cammy’s. I can 50/50 ex strike you from neutral if you decide to block, i can just mp break and throw you, or if i see you focus i can hp break on reaction for 150 damage and a juggle. Oh and the super cheap stuff is like u1, instant overhead, push you out of the ultra if you got hit by the instant overhead and keep comboing. Her normals are cammy normals + st.hp which beats all of deejays buttons as far as i can tell and anti airs kneeshot and jumps great. She also has a great anti projectile u2, a projectile invincible special that is safe on block and does 160 damage with juggle options after, and a slide to deal with zoning, plus like half screen ex divekicks. Her dp being punishable doesn’t impact matchups really, every character can dash forward and punish her except for Sim, and he can raw u2 or slide it.

Deejay’s jump is very floaty unless you kneeshot, and instant kneeshot whiffs on crouchers, this lets cammy just anti air with cr.strong/fierce or just crouch buffer her dp. Cammy and Decapre can pretty much empty jump for free on deejay too and mixup with j.hk at max range. Oh plus you can just kinda walk forward at him and block some fireballs. Eventually he’ll run out of screen and doesn’t have a great move to regain control of that space. LK sobat is okay, but the fact that it no longer goes over lows means you put yourself in the threat of cr.mk. Decapre is going to be hitting cr.mk a lot because it leads to free safe chip into safe pressure.

If you look at matchups in the “this characters moves can’t do X” and not simply the fact that they can pretty much just walk at deejay and beat his buttons you’re looking at Deejay as a character incorrectly. My character has good jumps? well he has anti air dead zones so thats okay. And even then he’s easy to corner push because of his poor normals to actually play footsies with outside of st.mk. cr.mp is a great counterpoke, but what if the person is just content to not hit buttons at that range and sit and wait on a whiff punish.

I don’t really see how he can fight characters with good buttons + walk speed effectively if the other person actually understands his toolset.

I’ma look at some of the bad match ups according to E Hubs and give my opinion on them. This is literally gonna be every character from the bottom worst match, to the top best match for DeeJay. I may not be the best player of him around, but I feel I have a grasp on his enough to be able to converse most of these match ups and give my opinion.

Spoiler

Against Rose, I’d honestly say the match is mostly even. Like a lot of people were saying, just gotta play patient and understand how to control the flow of battle. It’s not easy, but not unwinnable. Against Akuma, ehhh? I mean like, the match has never felt ‘good’ to me, but I feel if you act unpredictable it’s a bit easier. Most Akuma players I play tend to try and play keep away from DeeJay so that’s probably the rough part. Yun is Yun, it’s a rough match now, it was a rough match then. Almost the same with Guile, I think Blaqskillz showed this well in EVO pools when he played against Knuckledu. E Ryu I actually like slightly in favor of DeeJay. Dive kick loses to slide when placed well, his teleport is easy to punish if you predict correctly, lower than average health. I’ve never really felt super pressured in this match, but I also haven’t tried it much in Ultra so the loss of low immune L Sobat definitely hurts. Thinking back, that’s what made me feel super comfortable in a lot of matches now considered unfavorable. Adon…No idea? I have like barely played any of them, but I guess I could see it being slightly in his favor? Juri’s pretty good now as the game changed around her. Bit of a rougher match so I’d agree with the current standing. Poison feels hit or miss. I haven’t really played one that’s made me feel completely over whelmed, but Poison without meter on knockdown is like super easy to mess with. Her normal DP sucks and I’m pretty sure it’s throwable. Chun was rough in 2012, rougher now. Dhalsim I got used to. If you can get the life lead, then just wait. He’ll eventually have to teleport in and then you just upkick on reaction. Or at least that’s usually what happens to me. If you lose the life lead though, good luck to you. Fei and Viper don’t feel any different, still slightly in their favor. For Abel I’d like to say it’s only 5 / 5 cuz EX MGU beats out his step kick into tornado throw mix up due to throw invinciblility with easy conversion into dash U2. Sadly, against several Abel’s I’m only really able to catch them once or twice with that as then they just frame trap with st HP which mostly beats EX MGU. So in Abel’s favor. Dictator feels terrible. No Low immune L Sobat hurts a lot for me, EX Devil Reverse is like god anti-air and anti-fire ball, Hell Attack is freaking amazing air to air, I hate this match up. Cammy feels about the same honestly, which is good, cuz I’ve always felt advantageous against her. Oni I would like to say is better now since of the health reduction, but I’ll just say it’s about the same in 2012 which is mostly even. Losing Low immune L sobat keeps coming back up for me, but god did it help. Blanka I like, but I need more practice. I know most of his rolls are unsafe in general, so picking Ultra 1 is actually really freaking good here. Learning that slide distance is important for this match as we’re not Guile, we ain’t got dem ‘booms. However, since Up roll is gdlk as a reversal and anti-air, most of your damage is gonna have to come from punishes and zoning sadly. Even electricity feels kinda bad to jump in on. Rolento I dislike for the reasons I dislike Yun, but he feels super easy to bully on a hard knockdown. Sakura feels the same…I guess? 5 / 5 IMO. Ken feels a lot worse, not entirely sure whether it’s because he’s stronger now, or again the lack of low immune L Sobat. Yang feels the same, he’s about an even match up. Decapre I go back and forth on. It’s not terrible to play ranged and ‘keep her out’ but like if you have to go in, her DP will hit DeeJay’s floaty jump from anywhere it feels like, so be precise with those jump timings. Guy sucks a lot more, I have a really hard time dealing with run stop pressure. Not unwinnable, but as soon as you lose the life lead, you’re fighting a very steep uphill battle IMO. I’ve always disliked the Rufus match, but it doesn’t feel really different. Still slightly in Rufus’ favor I think. Ibuki feels the same too, which is good. I found her match up mostly even. Dudley sucks, I hate fighting him, always feels like an uphill battle even when I have the life lead. Ryu feels the same except that I can’t punish low forward into fireball attempts with L sobat, so that kinda sucks. So I guess now slightly in Ryu’s favor? Sagat feels about the same too, nothing feels too different and I’ve always felt this match can go either way. I think DeeJay can cause a lot of damage up close, but from far out, it’s difficult to get much going. Makoto feels the same, like literally. Still a pretty even match in my opinion. Boxer feels the same, I still dislike it. Claw feels a little different cuz it feels harder to get real big damage on him for whatever reason. I find myself dropping cr lp, cr lp, xx EX MGU when it matters the most, but that’s kinda against everyone. Elena feels even for the most part, maybe slightly in DeeJay’s favor? Her weird hurt and hit boxes I feel kinda help DeeJay, but like, unless you’re used to her jump arc, it’s kinda weird to punish jump ins. I haven’t seen a single Gouken, but based on the changes and people talking, it sounds pretty much the same. Seth feels so much better now, but I’d still say it’s slightly in his favor. If Seth has U1, I’m afraid to do like anything except walk and guard. Cody feels the same, exactly, nothing really crazy new. I still like the El Fuerte match, dunno. I might just be used to it but I slightly like it for DeeJay. Sobats Armor break I really like, I like EX Sobat against Fuerte’s that try and just jump or slide mix up on wake up, cuz you either win or just get out. Hakan I’ll trust what I’ve seen other people say, but I need more practice against him. Anytime I get knocked down I get scared. T Hawk feels a little worse, but still not terrible. Mostly even really. I guess Gen is even? I mean, I think I’ve only played one or two, but nothing has made me feel that it’s in either’s favor considerably. Dan is Dan, feels the same, most even to a good player. Good for DeeJay every time else. Zangief feels worse with L green hand being so much faster, I think I just have this fear of grapplers honestly. Honda I haven’t played enough in Ultra so I don’t really have an opinion. And finally, DeeJay’s best match! Hugo feels super free most of the time, unless they catch you sleeping or messing up, this should be a relatively easier match than most.

Not agree with something? Let me know, we’re all here to get better and by talking about why we think match ups are good or bad we can learn. Or maybe we can hope that DeeJay will be OP in USF4 v 2014 or whatever the new patch for the game that Combofiend mentioned is, haha. Regardless, happy playing to you all :smiley:

I still don’t understand how Dee Jay loses to Blanka so badly when everything Dee Jay does can punish Blanka’s balls off. The biggest advantage Blanka has on Dee Jay that other characters might not is that he can use his command dash to slip to your other side and back to kill the back charge.

I also don’t get how DJ vs Guile is 3-7, but I didn’t see the match between Blaqskillz and Knuckledu so maybe there’s some info I’m missing. As far as I can tell, Guile can’t DP on wake up without suffering consequences and anytime he sweeps it’s a free EX MGU(can reversal 2nd hit of Guile’s cr.HK). Beyond that, Dee Jay’s match up seems the same as Ryu’s to me except Dee Jay’s sweep reaches further, EX Sobat goes through fireballs, DJ’s fireballs are much faster than Ryu’s, Guile’s meaty forward+HK can be upkicked, and Dee Jay can KOF style short hop over fireballs. What part of the Guile vs DJ match up is so un-winnable?

Love all the feed back though guys. Keep it coming!!

because you don’t need to use balls? deejay can’t throw fireballs, can’t jump, can’t play footsies, can’t reversal, and gets mauled by electricity pressure.

Blanka has other moves.

Sounds like you don’t face good competition. When you mentioned Blanka balls… I just…

I struggle keeping guy at bay now… His pressure seems much stronger coupled with faster walk speed has made zoning tough.

Ugh i lothe blanka with a passion I honestly can’t do anything if they know what to do. I literally showed my friend who just picked up the game awhile back what to do vs dj and it was the worst mistake of my life. Felt like I was training my own assassin.

funny thing too is there are certain spots where blanka can ball safely too

I can only imagine how many times you have heard “(blank) beats Blanka because they can punish Blanka balls” .

Blanka’s neutral game makes the matchup a stare contest. The only thing that I do is hope that the Blanka player is stupid/impatient.

Literally every matchup thread on SRK says “you can punish balls with x, so matchup is 5-5 or in our favor” or “can’t punish blanka balls, match is 5-5 or in Blanka’s favor” and thats literally the end of the thought process for people on determining who wins the matchup for the most part though sometimes slide is thrown in.

Yeah the thing about Deejay vs. Blanka is that Blanka’s neutral/pressure tools actually work how they should. Deejay’s focus is too stubby to crumple cr.fierce/slide consistently, fireballs don’t have a low hitbox making them easy to slide, electricity pressure is difficult to get out of, and he can actually use his strong jumpins effectively.

Basically pretty much all of Blanka’s tools except Ball work better than they do in any matchup, and Deejay’s tools don’t work so well.

I’m glad people are doing this to work it out. I’ve seen the hatred towards me on some of these threads and usually refrain but I still want to help the community. It’s the only reason I’m in here. I will touch on a couple of matchups and make updates progressively. The thing about matchups are they become arbirtrary

Guile-7-3 (arguable 6-4) Hahah I played terribly against Du. I couldn’t even get started and when I did, I was too frustrated and got counterhit to death. Guile is not fun at all and has always been a bane for DJ. You’re best space is mid-range when you have a life lead. Sliding under his FB’s (except light version) is a must if you want to frustrate him enough to work damage. This match should go to 0 secs if possible.

Hugo- 6-4/ 5-5? After playing long sets with Valle’s Hugo, 6-4 is not the case imo. Dee Jay has A LOT of tricks to maneuver around a majority of his moves. As of now, DJ wins this matchup. However, as Hugo’s improve the damage output and mixup potential via mistakes will make it even or tip in his favor. Hugo CAN get in once you make a simple mistake. He has quite a few tools to bait DJ. You need to be on point with reactions and as usual, KNOW every aspect of the matchup to win.

Blanka-7-3 This is a matchup I worked on since Vanilla when I mained Vega. DJ/Blanka is pretty bad. Electricity absolutley owns him AKA you have to block. Expect to take Blanka to 0 to win this. You can stop a majority of his advancements but you need to be on your game and stay vigilant. If DJ stays on his feet, he wins. Barely. If you are able to corner him, it’s hard for him to get out without taking damage. This is your best bet.

E. Honda 4-6(DJ favor)- I have never had too much trouble in this match unless I got careless. Solid zoning and movement beats honda. There isn’t much he can do once he’s forced to walk. Your biggest worry is Ochio throw mixups because the fear will kill you. Butt slams get standing mp’d for free if you aren’t charging. Jump ins? What jump ins? You also beat Jesus hands clean with St. RH. Stand your ground. Stay mobile. Win.

Yang-7-3 I’ve always hated this matchup. Any character who gets to bully you without much retaliation is no fun. His DP makes fireballs no bueno and he gets to ruin your charge with no effort. Yang can overwhelm you. You’re saving grace is his damage output. This matchup takes a hardcore grind session to understand and deal with properly. If a DJ has no Yang experience. You’re done.

Elena 6-4? I’m still unclear on this match. I want to say he beats her but sometimes I can’t tell. I’m not one to complain too often, but the hurtbox is an issue since it’s actually difficult to land close mk into whatever since shes just not there sometimes. Healing is whatever. If she is going to heal and you see it coming, Toss a light fireball and slide or jump forward charging ultra 1 during her animation. Combo that shit. She’ll never want to do it again. Ex Sobat also works gaining you corner advantage. The hard part is having charge ready and geting out of her mixups since her OH (Mallet Smasher) is so quick. You can ultra if you have the reactiong or upkick through for an escape. My roommate has a very solid ELena so I will study in depth when we play this week.

I will try out matchups I still haven’t fully experienced via Ultra. Mostly new characters like Rolento (Which I feel he can fight as of late) and Decap etc. I will also gather info from some other top players to break it down for you guys. Hope it helps and keep on putting in work guys. It’s great.

Dude, I could feel the frustration in that match. I cringed when I saw you had to play him. Sad to say, I think I only say like one other DeeJay player the entire time at EVO and he played a Rose, as to which it didn’t seem like he knew the match up. I wish I could find more match up ideas and knowledge for DeeJay against people, but it just seems so difficult now. I know Combofiend mentioned a panel that they were working on a hitbox hurtbox fix for later for a few characters and DeeJay’s name was mentioned, but I’m not too sure how hopeful I should be. I know some of the other DeeJay players are back to talking about changes they want like they did from before Ultra came out, but I don’t think we’ll get them.

Sad to hear about the Hugo thing, but yeah, I guess I just haven’t played nearly enough. Elena too, she’s so wonky it feels unreal half the time something misses or doesn’t work on her. I can only imagine about Yang, I’ve never had to deal with a ‘good’ one, but I’ve dabbled a little and from what you’re saying sounds like easy for Yang. Blanka looking back at, yeah, ball punish is the only saving grace in that match, even still that match is so saddening. Hope to see more from ya soon!