Dee Combos - A Dee Jay Combo Thread

If that includes meter and Ultra, nah, you can go higher. You most likely won’t land it like this unless you’re lucky or catch someone sleeping, but j HK, cl HK xx Super xx Ultra 1 does about 693. Against a Vega without mask, it’s well into the 700’s.

Ah crap, I completely forgot about that U1 cancel. Okay, everything excluding those set-ups because who the hell uses U1 these days.

To answer your FADC question Fisch, I barely use them as it stands because there isn’t much point unless you REALLY want a life lead, cr.mp > H.Sobat or H.MGU is usually good enough for me to end my combos with. Half of the time I’ll honestly just save my bars for Super, the burst it gives is good, and it’s so easy to confirm into. I actually think it’s kinda broken lelelel.

But when I do bother to burn my meter, I’ll do this combo most of the time.

cr.lp > cr.mp > H.Sobat xx FADC > cl.mk > cr.lp > cr.mp > H/EX.Sobat

Does mild 300s I believe, no idea if it’s the max damage combo but I find it really easy to perform, so it’s what I stick with, when I have U2 stocked I’ll change the last part into cr.lp > cr.lp > cr.mp > EX MGU > Dash U2 and just pray that EX MGU launches them properly.

U1 is pretty good for dash ultra against fireballs or cancelling off of Super for mega damage. I’ve been liking W ultra as of late. Sack some damage in return for the ability to hit that Super -> U1 or an EX MGU -> U2 any time those situations might arise. I think losing a bit of damage off both Ultra moves is better than leaving one opportunity off the table entirely.

edit: Agreed about saving bar for Super and that you don’t get that much more off of FADC, but not that much more is something when it comes to a character who has low damage to begin with.

I’ve been trying to use cl.mk, cl.mk, st.lk xx lk sobat after my FADC, but I should try cl.mk, cl.mk, cr.mp instead, though I’m not sure if it reaches? Doesn’t seem like it whenever I try. Maybe I should go for the cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp links instead. Looks so cool when you kick the shit out of them though.

Any use for FADCing a LK Sobat in terms of a setup? Thoughts?

I guess considering his low damage output every little counts but I value my EX Jackknife AA’s very heavily for ambiguous jump-in attempts, dat auto-correct! I have been using the FADC combo to put people into the corner faster, works wonders and then you can get some flashy EX Slash combos off and deal some real damage. I think the FADC should be used for positioning over damage, the corner is a dominant spot for DeeJay imo.

I gotta disagree with W Ultra, the damage output is way too damn low and especially with the U2 damage nerf on top of that I just can’t sacrifice anymore damage than I already unwillingly have. U1 to me is still garbage, when you have to dash ultra just to make it’s only utility effective, that’s an instant sign the original range is already too short. I refer back to the DeeJay changes video by Capcom where ComboFiend had to dash U1 just to punish a fireball. It’s not that Dash U1 is difficult, but more rather that even Capcom know that the range is fucking garbage and won’t increase it further, but Dudley has some crazy instant teleportation U1 that can punish basically full-screen. But whatever, DeeJay is top tier.
I just think U2 has more utility with immediate burst damage compared to a really crappy anti-fireball ultra that doesn’t work at the range you would like to use it at. Also, EX Sobat just works wonders for me over U1, same/more reach and pushes heavily into the corner.

Who are you in training with to get cl.mk > cl.mk? It’s not possible on Ryu. Seems like it’s character specific, cl.mk > cr.mp is universal though for sure, try that I suppose.

I see no point in burning 2 bars for a shitty set-up off of LK Sobat, it’s better in every situation to use cr.mk to score a hard knockdown if you want to get a set-up off of your FADC, unless maybe you’d like the opponent to mash a reversal on WU I guess? Idk, cr.mk is just better.

I still use U1 occasionally, like against Poison, T Hawk, Blanka and uh, a few shotos. There are just some times where I like having it instead of U2, I dunno mang.

In my opinion, after the damage nerf to U2 and the range boost to U1, U1 is decent enough to consider before going into the match. The range on dipping around a fireball is almost exactly the same as EX Sobat. I think the reason you see Dudley’s U1 go full screen almost instantly is because DJ’s can be canceled into off of Super for some insane damage. I agree even more range would be nice, but at least now dash U1 is reliable.

Yeah I don’t see any point in FADC’ing LK Sobat either, was just curious.

Cl.mk > cl.mk works on Shotos, I’m pretty sure it works on nearly every character. You need to jump in or FADC for it to work. Cl.mk > cl.mk NOT off a jump in or FADC might be character specific though, yeah.

U1 against Hawk and Blanka seem to be the only smart choices specific wise for me, I’ll run U2 in every other match-up. Super > U1 is a threat but the whole thing seems like a cop out anyway. I digress. I’d prefer a good U1 instead of having Super > U1.

So it only works after an FADC? Interesting, I tried it point blank from the ground and it whiffed on every shoto I tried. If it works off of FADCs then I’ll see if this connects;

cl.mk > cl.mk > cr.mp > EX Sobat

Ultra 1 is legit and I find myself using it in a lot of fireball matchups. Sure it’s not as good as a lot of anti fireball ultra’s but it’s still quite functional. Whiffing a lk.upkick to get into position then doing U1 as you land for a fireball punish is quite good. A lot of people don’t see it coming. Also, super to U1 is always great for a big punish or that clutch chip out.

If cl.mk, cl.mk, cr.mp, sobat works on everyone after a sobat fadc, it looks like I have a new combo to grind to perfection in training. I myself always did cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp, sobat. Obviously you should use st.mp in these combos instead of cr.mp if they’re standing.

I also end my fadc combos in light sobat. I want the setup. Hk.sobat is not a lot more damage for no knockdown, and EX sobat seems a waste of meter after you’ve already fadc’d. You won’t get much more damage, and if you wanted to push them full screen I just wouldn’t fadc at all.

Also remember mk.sobat can cancel to focus level 2 for a crumple. I’m trying to remember to go for this more. Follow it up with cr.mp, mk.upkick, hk.upkick for awesome corner carry. I think following up with cr.mp, hp.MGU is the highest damage though.

Yeah – cl.mk, cl.mk is only after FADC or a properly angled and timed jump-in. Cr.mp, to my knowledge, will not connect after the double cl.mk – the most you can get afterwards is cr.lk xx LK Sobat. You might be able to use slasher FADC or EX Slasher in the corner to grab some more damage, but I’m not sure if the hitstun on the regular Slasher is long enough or if the EX Slasher is close enough for you to link another cr.lk. Putting them at +3 or +4 with either Slasher might be a handy setup for frame trapping or continued pressure though!

Oh ok. I’m going to have to experiment a bit more to find the max damage follow up to a sobat fadc. I was under the impression that it was cl.mk, cr.lp, st.mp, sobat, but maybe there’s something better.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nldg9GXZf_0&feature=youtu.be

I did some experimenting with this cl.mk business, it can’t work on smaller body archetypes.
Didn’t bother with cr.lk > LK Sobat attempts, I’d just go cl.mk > cr.mk if I wanted a knockdown after an FADC.

Character Specific? Yes.

cl.mk > cl.mk > cr.mk works on Balrog, and it’s literally just the tip. This is a damn nice character specific combo that you can lead into a set-up. I like it.

cl.mk > cl.mk > cr.mp has been unsuccessful on most characters so far.
Experimented a little further, the above combo is almost completely impossible. I’m gonna test it on Hugo tomorrow though, if it works on Hugo that’s a really nice character specific combo to have handy.

I’m not scared of u1 as a blanka player, i’m scared of u2 though.

It at least gets SOME usage, now don’t quote me on this because I get the feeling only EX Sobat punishes them, but U1 punishes Blanka Ball, right? If so just being able to stop those is enough for me.

Bump,
I just noticed the OP of the combo thread kinda just…got up and left outta nowhere. Still no definitive combo thread. I like the idea of making this character more accessible to beginners, would anyone like a very fleshed out combo guide with information on efficient punishes, max damage, and confirms and such? I’d be alright putting some lab hours in to get a good write-up on the forum.

I’m not planning on dropping DeeJay any time soon and just vanishing suddenly as well. Lel. Struggle.

It’s easy to make ball safe vs. u1

dat double post protection is lacking

How’s it easy to make ball safe against U1? I was under the impression it connects every time.

I don’t think Cl.mk, cl.mk, cr.lk xx LK Sobat works on everyone – I can’t get it to work on Hakan actually. But I think it works on a majority of the cast.

Cr.lk is the only normal with enough reach to consistently hit most if not all characters after the double cl.mk link.

Cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HK Sobat would deal more damage, however you don’t get the knock down and the 1 frame link is harder to hit without plinking. To be honest though I think Dee Jay’s cr.mp link is not all that hard to hit consistently so that’s probably a moot point.

I think cl.mk, cl.mk, cr.lk xx LK Sobat is a better FADC ender for setup and to maintain momentum whereas cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HK Sobat is a better FADC starter (sub MK Sobat if you’re going for that level 2 FA link though, of course).

As for other FADC combo enders…

Cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HP MGU does slightly less damage than the HK Sobat ender but it does give you the knockdown and potential for setup, not to mention you can sub EX MGU for dash U2 afterwards for even more damage. If you have the meter this might be the best option, although going for EX Sobat for damage and knockdown off cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp doesn’t seem like the worst idea either if you don’t have U2 stocked.

Doing some testing actually, Cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HP MGU does just a little more damage (like 3 points more) than cl.mk, cl.mk, cr.lk xx LK Sobat so I don’t think it’s worth going for the MGU unless you’re going for a specific setup.

I think we should consider the corner position too. Ending cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp with EX Slasher and then linking a cr.lk xx LK Sobat would do more damage than EX Sobat. Obviously you would go for EX MGU with U2 stocked as its stupid easy to hit in the corner.

Upkicks seem useful purely for corner carry as they do less damage than anything else. Dat swag tho.

I’m curious to how you make Ball safe vs. U1 also. Blanka is weird. He’s the match-up I know the least.

So if we’re looking for max damage after an FADC with the use of meter/ultra, we’re looking at EX MGU into U2 almost all situations?

Meterless would be cr.lp > cr.mp > H.MGU I imagine, to gain a set-up cl.mk > cr.mk or maybe an added jab here and there.

Character specifics can get quite crazy by the looks of it. I’m adamant that cl.mk > cl.mk > cr.mp/st.mp > Sobat is going to work on Hugo at least.

And if you want a near full-screen corner carry the Upkicks juggles after a M.Sobat level 2 crumple will gain you the corner in most situations.

explanation

That’s awesome.

@Froztey‌ –

Max meterless damage after an FADC would be cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HK Sobat because of the added normal damage and the way scaling heavily impacts MGU. MGU scales too much and starts to do less damage in longer combos, but when you are just canceling into MGU for a raw punish it is the better choice.

Cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HK Sobat does 245 damage.
Cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mp xx HP MGU does 230 damage.
Cr.lp, cr.mp xx HP MGU does 247 damage.
Cr.mp xx HP MGU does 255 damage.

I don’t think MGU has a place in an FADC combo unless it’s an EX. It seems like if you want the meterless knockdown setup just tagging a LK Sobat on the end rather than going for cr.MK would give you more damage though you would lose the hard knockdown, so it’s a tradeoff – hard knockdown setup, or soft knockdown with substantially more damage (Cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mk is 154 damage compared to cl.mk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx LK Sobat with 217 damage).

All you really get out of regular MGU is style points. At least that’s what it seems like on paper. Upkicks looks like it would be the best tool to get some corner carry, but if you want to maintain damage and have corner carry with knockdown then burning a bar for EX Sobat is probably the best choice. Meterless corner carry would be upkicks for sure for EX Sobat gets you roughly the same distance.

The only practical use I can find for EX Slasher is confirming off of a BnB starting with cr.lk or cr.lp and then linking into cr.lk xx LK Sobat in the corner. I believe it does more damage than any other one meter burning option that you could use under those circumstances (EX Sobat):

Cr.lk cr.lp, cr.mp xx LK Sobat does 177 damage.
Cr.lk cr.lp, cr.mp xx HK Sobat does 205 damage.
Cr.lk cr.lp, cr.mp xx EX Sobat does 212 damage.
Cr.lk cr.lp, cr.mp xx EX Slasher, cr.lk xx LK Sobat does 247 damage.

You can also cancel EX Slasher successfully off of cr.lk, which means you can confirm a typical BnB of cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.lk into additional damage.

Cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.lk xx LK Sobat does 127 damage.
Cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.lk xx EX Slasher, cr.lk xx LK Sobat does 197 damage.

DJ’s damage is so low I think it’s worthwhile trying to “take what you can get” and extend combos with meter when you have the opportunity with FADCs and EX Slasher links in the corner. I think having meter for EX Upkicks, EX Sobat, and EX MGU for good AA, fireball game, and a U2 link is important…but hoarding 100% of your meter explicitly for that use doesn’t seem like the best idea. Squeezing that extra damage out is pretty critical IMO for a character with such low damage.

Also, I thought this was interesting:

FA 2, cr.mp xx EX MGU, U2 does 456 damage (without mash, 450 damage).
FA 2, U2 does 414 damage.

Spending the bar only gives you an extra 42 damage. I don’t think spending the bar is worth it off the crumple.

I’m wondering if going for the Level 2 FA crumple instead of regular FADC is better under all circumstances. I’m thinking that it would be better to go for HK Sobat FADC rather than MK Sobat FA 2 crumple because of scaling, unless you want to link U2, in which case the crumple is likely the better option to save meter.