Dealing with pressure

Vega, as we all know, has exceptional normals and spacing is his ticket to winning matches. But sometimes theres just nothing you can do and you get cornered or someone like makoto or ibuki just gets right in your face very quickly, or the angle for a jumpin leaves you with no option but to block. EX ST seems to do fine, its 4 frame though not quite a DP. Any advice you would give a Vega player in dealing with pressure? Specifically I have no idea what to do against frame traps since he doesnt have a DP. I know this is a broad question and the real answer is to just keep playing and getting experience, look for tick throws and whatever, but Im sure I can learn something I dont know already

Use delay techthrow (Press Throw + MP after throw rhythm a little bit) to deal with frame trap- this technique can neutralize both throw and frametrap from opponents.
Or use Focus back dash to get out

Focus backdash should work actually, cant believe I didnt think of that, thank you. But for throwtech, why would you OS such a slow move like MP (cr or st?), wont I absolutely get counter hit on the slow start up? I sort of thought the point of frame traps was to blow up crouch tech, your opponent using the frame trap leaves a small frame window for a cr lk or jab to start up but wont be active before their the frame trap button hits you, getting you counter hit. Sorry if im just being dumb lol

This is the technique I’ve used since 2011 and still useful until now
What i mentioned is OS Cr.MP + Cr.Throw, because Cr.MP is one of the fastest moves of Vega

What important is not to press OS Cr.MP + Cr.Throw consicutively, u should DELAY it a little bit after each throw rhythm. If your oppenents try to walk towark you, they’ll get hit by Cr.Mp, and u can confirm it to EX FBA. If your opponents use frame trap, your cr.mp will come out after that and trade damage with them, or even beat their moves. Mix this defensive option with focus backdash, u can deal with frametrap easier.

Remember that frame trap happens when opponents’ moves are in active frame and your move is in start-up frame, so u will get hit by frame trap. But this is not the case when your move come out later than their moves, when their moves are in recovering frame and your move is in active frame. This is what we call : Delay OS Techthrow.

Each move has 3 periods: 1- Start up, 2- Active. 3- Recovery
U can beat all non-invicible moves during period 1 or 3 if you are in period 2. Frame trap is just Opponents’ moves in period 2 beat your move in period 1.

Like this one, period 2-active frame is your strongest period

Sorry for my bad english, I hope my information can help you

Thank you for all this detailed information. Maybe you misunderstood me, though. I completely understand how frames work as well as start up active and recovery. My point is, you advised me to OS throw with cr strong…thats much slower than his cr. short and jab…so why would you OS with that, isnt it totally gonna get blown up by a fram trap, which purposefully only leaves windows of less than 4 frames to react, which is why people can DP through them if they have them. Idk, I just thought that frame traps were designed to blow up people crouch teching.

I realize you specifically said not to mash it, so I guess what youre saying is to only do it when they walk forward in between their strings. So I guess I should just block frame traps until they walk forward and react with crouch tech. THAT makes sense to me, it just sucks that I cant just make them fucking stop as soon as Id like lol

delay tech is what you’re looking for. you have 7 frames to tech a throw, so tech on the last frame, or near it. that way you won’t get blown up by normal frame traps. but if you do that, they can do delayed frame trap to deal with it. delayed frame trap have a 7 frame gap. but you can counter that with a mashed crouch tech, or stand kara tech.

cr.lp = 4 frame startup
cr.mp = 4 frame startup

this is what i tried to tell you FcknDrrn, cr.strong and cr.jab have the same startup speed, so u can os cr.strong

and also use delay os tech to deal with frame trap, mix it together with focus backdash to get out
and, srr for misunderstading u man :smiley:

just remember, teching with cr.mp can be countered with lv2 focus, especially with delayed teching with cr.mp. becareful when they figure it out.

Claw Strike, Dude don’t worry about it lol, still really valuable information and maybe someone else will come across this post and it will help them out, I think this is a sort advanced/intermediate part of SF and fighting games in general and correctly understanding frame traps and what to do against them is a bridge between a beginner and more aadvanced player.

Niah, super helpful as usual on these boards. Lvl 2 focus is just another layer to worry about ha, thank you

crMP is also -4 on block. Can’t quite use it against characters that can punish it.

However, cl.MK is 5 frames start up and +2 on block… same with cr.MK but at 6 frames of start up. Probably not the best options, but his wake up options kind of suck anyway.

Alright cool thanks. Also is RCF > FADC +4? Just wondering so I can figure out what I can get off it. And I was wondering if someone can help me with a resource for which of his normas are chainable (So far it seems all his combos and block strings are just links) and which ones are sp/su/ultra cancelable. In these frame data apps, I see things like sp, su in the cancelable column but idk what su*- means, as in wtf is the * or - ssymbols for.

sp = special cancelable
su = super cancelable
rcf > fadc is +3 for mp version, +5 for everything else.

nothing is chainable

he has no block strings. btw, block strings means you don’t leave any gaps in you attack so they can’t mash dp. you can jump into cr.lp to lp roll for a block string.

rcf, and cr.mp. the only times you should ever super cancel is from either of those. red focus from rcf or st.hk to land ultra or whatever.

sp = special cancel, su = super cancel. * = cancel on first hit only

If you’re going to spend meter on RCF > FADC might as well spend the extra meter stock (3 meters) for Red Focus which when used in a combo, will instantly crumple your opponent, opening them up for some Ultra whoop ass. Now, because of damage scaling you only get 400 or so for 3 meters plus a full Ultra meter, but if you’re being pressured in a corner and you crouch/delay tech pressure AND the damage will finish the round or win the match, definitely spend it. Otherwise, you are better off with a raw Ultra. If you regular FADC then you would have to do risky links, but at least they’d earn you some meter back.

Vega has no block strings. His best is +2 on block and he has nothing that starts up fast enough to continue putting the opponent in block stun. This means, if they block and you throw out another jab for example, you will eat reversal. A neat trick though is to use close MK (+2) on block and then kara throw. If done right it’s a 1 frame window for them to reversal, they can’t jab, because throw is active the next frame and at least 2 frames before a 3 frame jab is active. They can tech, but you’ll get pushed back and gain some space. If their timing is good, they can reversal in that 1 frame window, but if their timing is inconsistent it might be worth throwing out. It is not guaranteed, but can be difficult to get out of.

whoops, niah beat me to it

reversals don’t need to be timed properly, it’s very lenient.

Yeah :frowning: That SF4 engine. 5 frame window? How does that work? Say I give someone a single window to reversal, that means the game gives the player that single window + 5?

So even though he doesnt have true block strings because everything is links, if you do the same link sequences, there should really be max like 2 frame windows, so they shouldnt be able to DP inbetween Vegas strings right? or does the fact that you get the reversal mean you just blow it up with invincibility?

you could bait the dp, but if you were to do cr.lp, cr.lp, he CAN mash dp, and yes, because of invincibility. because the dp will be hitting you when you are pushing the 2nd cr.lp.

the reversal window means you can do the input before you recover. think of it like OS. pretty much the same thing. it’s an engine that helps charge characters so they don’t have to do the reversals frame perfect.

Ah, so that’s how the window works. I guess that’s good to know? 5 frames is still far too much reversal time.