Dealing with pressure

Ok, so DP is just always invincible on startup. I was thinking Vegas strings, as long as they were less than 3 frames, since thats the startup for DP, wouldnt be punishable and then they would get counter hit. And I never see anyone ever DP in between Vegas normal strings, why not? It seems super cheep to blow up even 1 frame block strings when you have 5 frames to reversal it

Do you play offline?

Not in tourneys, I watch fuck loads of them though

it doesn’t matter if it has 1, 2, 3 or whatever frame gap there is. because it’s +1 on block, you recover 1 frame faster. press a 4 frame move, like a cr.lp again, it’s a 3 frame gap. even if it’s a 2 frame gap, if he inputs dp, you’ll get hit as long as you pressed another button again. if you don’t, then you’ll block it. it’s not a “punish”. it’s all because of the invincibility. but if someone was to press a none invincible 3 frame attack as a reversal, kike dudley’s hp dp, then it would matter. if there was a 3 frame gap, it will trade. if there’s a 2 frame gap, dudley would get counter hitted.

as for why people don’t spam dp when vega is pressuring? well, it’s a guess. what if that vega only pressed it once to bait out the dp? or maybe the lp can be too fast for him top initiate the dp, because he’ll need to give up blocking for a split frame? even if you have meter to fadc the dp, what if the vega simply flips to bait your dp? many vega’s would press a light attack, back off, kara throw, or back off, do another light attack to bait these dp’s. once a person mashes that dp, the vega player will get hit by it once, then the vega player will know “ok, this guy spams dp” so he will counter it by baiting. these things aren’t react-able. people can’t tell when the vega player will continue on with another cr.lp after the first one.

The problem isn’t really DP in that situation though, it’s the moves that are invincible on start up that also have forward momentum. Then you’re stuck blocking and potentially knocked down.

Niah, thanks so much. I’m now trying to hash out EXACTLY what I can get off of various confirms (clearly a marvel player lol) and iv noticed that even though most of his normals are special cancelable, it’s very finicky with which versions of ST will work from which normals. So far light version seems to only work off of crouch short and the heavy version works off most things, same as EX. Also it’s cool they changed his super to hit on the way up, now you can take regular combos that go into ex fba and do super instead

lk.ST is pretty worthless in a combo. Not really combos into it except cr.LK as you saw. Unless you only need a single hit for spacing or to combo into EX ST, always use hk.ST. It’s also not great as an AA because it isn’t active very long, the others are better than it, but is useful for closer jump ins. Probably will trade in that situation though, but trades are usually favorable to ST and it also launches them up and gives you time to recover.

Drugs and alcohol.

So I was on Ultra Chens twitch last night and they were going through some character discussion and I asked about Vega. They really said nothing bad about him, just the good stuff, normals his new cross up (which I think sucks btw, really hard to confirm off of) and his benefit from RF. But they also brought up how there is absolutely no representation anymore for Vega. Zeus is around but doesn’t play aparrantly, Chris King is in Japan and …that’s sort of it. They also mentioned this might be because people are afraid of the claw mechanic, that something can happen and all of a sudden you lose all range and damage. I find thats just not true, his range on his normals even without the claw is just ridiculous still. Idk thoughts?

Losing the claw sucks. Not only it kills your range, but all your priority on j.HP is gone completely. You also suffer a damage penalty, for fucking blocking shit when you have no way to get them off you. Free pressure on Vega all day every day.

Nah. The lack of Claw players has nothing to do with the character losing his weapon. People try him for a couple of minutes until they are stressed enough to go back to their character-with-uppercut and thats it. They see a jump in and think “Fuck this shit, I want my flame kick back.”.