DC Comics Thread

Trades I might, or I can use the internet to download, though I like to contribute more than do that. I only really do that for hard to finds, or just plain expensive, comics.

I had my local shop pull the first issues of JSA and JLA for me, just so I could check 'em out, but I really REALLY hate the idea that Alex Ross is influencing both titles.

oh well, All Star Superman next week, WOO!

This interview regarding 52 # 48 should help clear up some of that. Note that it involves 52 spoilers of course.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=107765

Regarding your JLA question, it’s a prologue for the next issue. So just tune in next month, same JLA Time, same JLA channel. :smile:

Teen Titans Go! artist Todd Nuack draws more Teen Titans characters in the TT cartoon style oh yeah! Superboy is still my favorite!

http://www.comicspace.com/toddnauck/comics.php?action=gallery&comic_id=528

Man, JLA is too fierce. I love that book.

JLA

Spoiler

Red Arrow is gonna be too good on that team.

And 52 this week was pretty confusing. I just read through it and pretended to not really care. But, then I read Sano’s link and I guess it made sense. Crisis averted…?

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy reading Supergirl after the first 4 or 5 lackluster issues that Loeb wrote. Good stuff so far from Joe Kelly.

Busiek’s Superman this month sucked. 'Nuff said.

Superman/Batman: That Benitez guy can draw an awesome Batman. The art is what really kept me hooked on this issue. Overall, pretty good story, but the art really sold it well. That guy needs to draw JSA or something. OR…

Detective Comics because Kramer’s art is fugly. Harley was fat in the issue. Like she hasn’t worked out in the past year or so. The story was still fun though. Dini just loves himself some Harley action. It was like watching Batman TAS all over again.

Nightwing was pretty good. He’s all angry and moody now. It’s about time.

And now I’m gonna move onto the Marvel side of things in the other thread later on because there are some goodies in there that I must rave about.

goes into the Marvel thread

This intrigues me. :wonder:

Thanks, Sano. I’m still a little confused though. I can’t remember that far back, but when they first showed Batwoman and that prophecy pic, weren’t they already trying to kill her to fulfill the prophecy, hence the discussion that they failed? Or were they just trying to kill Kathy Kane (or batwoman) and just figured out recently that they were the same person? I could just look back at my old issues… but the laziness… :frowning:

Lately I have been in a love/hate relationship with DC.

now, it’s not enough to make me jump ship…my devotion to DC is eternal, but I’m getting kinda sick of three major things regarding DC Comics, and Comics in General.

I hate the Revolving door on Death. If Marriage can be permanent, so can death.

I hate the fact that every twenty years, the universe is reconfigured so three characters don’t look older than thirty.

and I hate that Legacies are going backwards for some reason, instead of forward. Hal and Ollie were dead, the line for new names should form at the rear, we already had guys named “Green Lantern” and “Green Arrow”.

i agree with taichi, nothing against hal or ollie. i don’t even remember/know how he’s alive in the first place (lol). last time i knew he was the spectre.

speaking of the spectre, i just remembered the time where the entire justice league combined with him and bats took the rein. good stuff.

It’s Paul Dini, that’s why. He hasn’t done anything multi-part yet. But, there seems to be a main villain at the moment that has appeared more than once already(for those that read the book, you know who already) and each issue has pretty much played out like an episode. All stand-alone issues.

As far as the laziness thing goes that makes 2 of us and looking up older comics is a mission in itself for me, it means lifting up heavy boxes to find where the heck the box with all of my 52 comics are… :rofl:

So, going by the theory that if you give a half assed / crappy answer on the internet someone will come along and give a better one and make you look stupid… :sweat:

last week’s 52

Spoiler

I just think it’s pretty much like you said, “The prophecy must come true we will try again!” It could be that Batgirl was the one they were meant to kill, just that Intergang isn’t aware of her. Yeah, I don’t remember the first attempt on Batwoman’s life but my memory is fuzzy on that… too busy hoping Starfire doesn’t die… And it could still be that Batwoman is still going to buy it and bleeds to death since she shows up nowhere after 52 AFAIK, just like Starfire OH NOOOS… But there are still a few mysteries like where did the book came from in the first place so I kind of doubt we have heard the last of it… and better explanations of everything down the line in actual comics and not just interviews…

Yeah, this comic is blowing me away. I just wish GA was on the team, as well as Kyle, but it’s great without my golden boys.

Also the TT Go! art of SB is awesome, I never liked the show but the comics art is actually good, and I’m surprised he did Ambush Bug.

I really wish Kyle was on a team too, but Didio won’t let the “Replacement Heroes” have their due.

I think Kyle and Conner Fans should be livid at the way their characters are being treated…if those fuckheads at H.E.A.T. can be ridiculous douches for fifteen years, I think Kyle’s and Conner’s fans should organize and demand the characters are treated with respect, and should demand their characters not only get their fucking names back, but their books as well.

All Star Superman was great like always!

Teen Titans - Say word, this issue kicked ass! Oh and there was No Johns don’t leave us… And of course I loved the ending -

Teen Titans

Spoiler

NIGHTWING SHOWS UP WITH THE OG TITANS! What, did you think I was gonna talk about DC comics this week without mentioning Nightwing? :rolleyes:

Jim Lee just posted some pages on his blog from All Star Batman and Robin.

Along with some info on exactly where he is on the issues and an update for WildC.A.T.S.

i’m itching for next week’s 52, i want to see black adam rain fire from the skies and turn the world into splatterhouse 3.

Nauck is my favorite Comics artist ever.

his work on YJ is just top notch.

Caught up on stuff I missed last week and some good stuff this week. Over all, I’d say that the WW III books were kinda disappointing. I ended up getting all 4, despite only planning on getting 2 or 3. The 52 issue on the event was good, but they tried to cram way too much “explaining of OYL” into the 4 WW III issues. On DC nation, Didio even says that the reason they added the WW III event was a way to explain OYL since 52 was supposed to do that but turned into a whole other animal. I really can’t wait for 52 to wrap up, but it better deliver… the build up has been great. I loved…

Spoiler

when Booster showed up to snatch that nanotech missile. “I need this, and trust me, it wasn’t going to work anyway” Also, the “cliffhanger ending” was great, too.

Last week’s Teen Titans was pretty good. I really don’t like the art compared to Tony Daniel though. And you can tell the writing took a dip… Johns co-wrote this with the new writer, and it shows. I’m kind of not looking forward to the new creative team after this arc :-(. A shame, since the TT were my favorite… The ending to the issue was pretty great though.

Speaking of Daniel’s artwork, Flash was great. Its really shaping up to be something really good, in my opinion. The art was great, the dialogue was great, and the setup for this arc was great. The only thing I’m really concerned with though is…

Flash’s last page

Spoiler

It seems very early for Bart to reveal his identity to the public already. He’s not even 20 issues into his series as the Flash and he tells them at the drop of a hat. I know there’s probably more to it, but I don’t think he’s going to get the Spectre to help him like he did Wally… Though the last page did make me go, “What the? Awesome.”

And of course, JLA. The writing was spectacular. I really enjoyed the Dialogue, especially Batman’s. Part of the whole arc screams “Publicity stunt”, but the writing seems so well done. I really wish I read up on more JSA before this though…

I’d really say that you should give both JLA and Flash a chance this week. To me, 52 is essential, but you could probably skip the 4 WWIII books unless there are some really burning OYL questions that you still have.

52 #50 was fucking intense…it would seem Black Adam’s storyline has finished.

Spoiler

I bet his new word is “I’m Sorry”

Nightwing Annual was really good. I was worried that the comic wasn’t written by Wolfman but it still turned out to be a great issue going into Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon’s relationship together through the years. There were some really funny moments like Robin and Batgirl trapped in a vehicle huddled closely together with Robin trying to hide his boner! :rofl: Oh and Batman called Robin “Chum” back in the day. :rofl: I’m not really for the Nightwing / Oracle hook up or the Nightwing / Starfire hook up but this was a good issue if you were into the Nightwing / Oracle AKA Dick Grayson Barbara Gordon hook up. I kind of prefer Nightwing being single (which he is now anyway, I win lol) but that’s just me.

52 & World War III issues were great, seems like a lot of the main violence went down in the World War III issues and not in 52 issue 50. I laughed when in the middle of 52 #50 they drew a 2 page spread of the heroes attacking Black Adam and the artist signed the 2 page spread. Like what the Hell we know the book has rotating artists but was it necessary to sign your pages? :rofl: Maybe it was an unused cover they incorporated into the story.

JLA was good fun. It’s nice to know that Power Girl has bigger breasts than anybody. :tup:

I got the Legion of Heroes comic based on the cartoon because a friend I went to school with, Steve Uy drew the cover! Last I spoke to him, he told me that he wanted to work on the Ninja Scroll comic. I hope that works out for him, Steve always draws manga style and I think he would be a better fit than the current Ninja Scroll artist. But like I say it’s hard to capture the artistic style of the Ninja Scroll movie and even worse the TV series where the character designs are even crazier, but I think Steve could pull it off. :smile: