Dark Souls 3: Prepare to Die Once More

Yea cuz I don’t like the boss. I like the Capra Demon fight, I just don’t do it when you’re expected to. Also Smelter isn’t worth skipping the first time imo because he’s gating off an enemy spawn that drops a good ring.

I understand he’s skippable, but you asked why one gets a pass and the other doesn’t, that’s my opinion on why, and I only addressed the examples you brought up. There are a lot of other reasons I don’t like DSII as much as the others, some are petty, and some are not. The level design pales in comparison to any other Souls game and exploration is half the fun of these games for me. The world and world building is pretty crap to. I fucking hate the back stab and parry mechanics. I don’t like the replacement for Poise, tanking wasn’t anywhere near as fun as DS1. I hate how enemies stop spawning after dying a number of times, that shit is fucking lame, and makes farming blow. The NPCs suck for the most part, and their quests are lame.

Some of this stuff i hear has changed in scholar, but I dunno for sure, haven’t gotten far enough to form an opinion.

that’s the one, gotta love that you just have to hint at it and every DS1 player knows what your talking about.

Blighttown is really only bad for me because of the horrific frame rate. As long as you’re prepared for the dart blowing dudes it’s not too bad. I found Tomb of Giants to be more annoying.

People should be comparing Dark Souls 1 to Demon’s Souls instead. People are too hung up on the Dark Souls 1 VS DSII debate, it’s been discussed to death and I think it has to do with the fact that more people played those games since Dark Souls 1 and its sequel were also available on PC and 360, whereas Demon’s stayed PS3 exclusive.

I think Demon’s Souls has better pacing than both of its sequels, the game speed and combat is faster, making things more tense. While the levels and the world itself aren’t as big as some areas in Dark Souls 1 & 2, it makes up for this aspect by being more focused. Boss fights are better overall compared to its sequels, and the game itself has this odd charm to it that its sequels don’t have. Graphically it still holds up, the voice acting is top notch, the music is great and the game is still as atmospheric as ever and it still has some of the best NPC’s in the entire series. World tendency, once you understood it, was a lot more interesting than covenants in DS1 and 2.

If you haven’t played Demon’s but have played its sequels and Bloodborne you’re missing out.

Oh wow i thought Demon’s Souls had some of the worst bosses in the entire series.

I actually hate the world tendancy system. Once i learned how it worked i hated it even more. If i want to get specific tendancies i have to play offline because the online world shifts to the server average, and if i play online the system is mostly meaningless because you cant effect it. If your playing offline its a system that over punishes players for dying, You’ve died and lost half your health bar (or 25% and a ring slot) and the games now harder for an arbitrary reason. Thought it was a pretty meh system over all.

Dark Souls wasn’t a sequel to Demon’s Souls though, it was a spiritual successor. Those were the exact words used by Miyazaki himself. Dark Souls II actually IS a sequel though, so yeah, I think it makes perfect sense why people tirelessly compare the two games more often than Dark Souls 1 gets compared to Demon’s.

I agree about pretty much all of your sentiments towards Demon’s Souls. The pace of combat was awesome, the levels were focused and VERY different from one another, and The Nexus is still the coolest hub out of all the souls games. It’s still a great looking game, the voice acting is great (as it always is in these games) and the soundtrack perfectly supplemented the eerie tone the game constantly had you playing within. Demon’s Souls had such an unforgiving atmosphere compared to the other games imo, which is why for a long time I really thought I’d end up liking it more than Dark Souls 1. Valley of Defilement is still my favorite area in a Souls game period; I could go on for days about how every single nook and cranny of that level’s design is utterly DRIPPING with tension and atmosphere. I used to spend hours upon hours just walking around in the area, wandering, seeing if there were any secrets I’d missed, hoping I would run into an invader or trying to invade others myself. And this was well after I had already cleared out all the bosses. Maiden Astraea is still probably my second favorite Souls boss ever.

Demon’s Souls lore in general is also just incredible.

But does it have better bosses all in all? Naw, I can’t agree there. There’s just too many amazing bosses from DS1 that take precedence over the ones in Demon’s Souls. For me, at least. Orstein & smough is iconic, the Asylum Demon is too. Artorias is one of the most ferocious and well designed enemies I’ve ever seen in a game period, and the way Dark Souls hinted towards him throughout the main game was genius. Then you got stuff like Sif, Seath, Gwyndolin, Quelaag, Priscilla, Gaping Dragon, Manus, ect ect ect…not all of them may have been SUPER challenging, but almost every single boss in Dark Souls 1 is memorable imo. I didn’t feel that way about a lot of bosses in Demon’s like the Penetrator or The Monk.

World Tendency was kind of a cool mechanic at first, but…as I played Demon’s Souls more and more I think I started to dislike it. You pretty much got punished for playing in Human Form, when it was already hard enough to play in that form anyway considering how rare Ephemeral Eyes were. But World Tendency piled on top of it by increasing the enemy difficulty EVERY time you died in Human Form, which is dumb as shit. I also thought it was kind of dumb that playing online made World Tendency random and erratic, because instead of it shifting based on just YOUR actions, it would be a combination of EVERYONE’S actions who were also playing the game online. Which meant one day you’d log into the game and everything is normal, and another you’d log in and all of a sudden all enemies have insane health and are much more aggressive. It included bosses too.

I dunno, to me Dark Souls is like the Metroid Prime 2 of the Souls games. The first game (Demon’s Souls/Metroid Prime 1) was excellent and managed to be an incredible game with lots of charm despite all the arbitrarily dumb things that brought it down. Then Dark Souls came out and it near perfectly fixed anything that could’ve been wrong mechanics wise with Demon’s Souls, while still retaining ALL of the things that made Demon’s such an amazing game. It found a perfect harmony between borrowing concepts from the previous game while also giving itself its own identity.

That all being said, if there’s even a single Souls game you haven’t tried, I would say you’re missing out. But I will always recommend Dark Souls 1 above all else.

DeS has a roughly 3 hour delay on its roll button and regularly drops to 5fps. I’m not sure if that’s what you meant by more tense combat, but that took an enormous bite out of my enjoyment of the game. I think a lot of it’s areas and designs are a cut above though, and the story-telling felt like it had more polish to it. Got to agree with the guy above about Valley, the attention to “detail”, and I use detail loosely because the game is a barely-visible mess of heavy handed full-screen smearing and motion blur with fuzzy edges that could have been pulled from an N64, the attention to detail in Valley is pretty staggering in comparison to Blighttown/Gutter.

Technically, Mechanically the game is a mess. Artistically I think it’s a real gem.

Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about…?? :confused:

Break some barrels in the wrong order and you can quite easily leave your self an FPS-environmental hazard that will leave you having to face away from the debris for the rest of the zone. If you can’t notice the input lag in DeS you might need to see a doctor.

Ive never had something like that happen to me, but i dont play Demon’s all that much so it may have just not happened to me before.

First time I’ve heard that complaint, and I’ve seen a LOT of Demon’s Souls complaints and watched multiple walkthroughs. Haven’t played it myself though.

I’ve got 150+ hours in DeS and I’ve never seen that.

Over 350 hours in that game and not once have I ever had that problem, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having it…maybe you should consider the possibility of something being wrong with your system if that’s happening to you, lol.

lmao guys remember in demon souls the first time you fight that huge knight boss :rofl: you’re introduced to a game where skinny motherfuckers are making you actually feel the weight of their attacks irl, and then, you get put in a room with a GIANT fucking KNIGHT lmao with dudes shooting arrows from the sides

[details=Spoiler]

[details=Spoiler]

It’s not like I’m emulating it, it’s a bloody PS3. I’m actually astounded people don’t pick up on the delay between button press and roll startup on a fighting game board, it’s a crazy amount for DeS, like 400ms, and there are other input issues with it too such as getting a roll upon holding down the button to sprint if you happen to do button down during a certain part of the unlocked turning animation. Maybe I’ll dig it back out and see if a mobile phone vid can show the input delay.

Tower Knight is one of my favourite bosses from the Souls series

It’s fine, I can play it right now and not experience any of these “problems”.

:rofl: @ This Teoh guy.

Demon’s Souls has a more consistent framerate than Dark Souls 1 & 2 on console(PS3) and it had the fastest load times between areas. Valley of Defilement is the only area that runs like shit, but Dark Souls 1 has a similar area so…

Wat…to me it had some of the most memorable.

Old King Allant, Tower Knight, Flamelurker, the fucking Maneater boss fight. People talk about Ornstein & Smough being crazy, but fighting the two Maneater’s on that tiny-ass Castlevania-esque platform was way more tense than O&S imo. You had to keep an eye on both and be very mindful of where you were dodging/moving.

I think Bloodborne is the best one personally.

I love the combat in that game, but outside of its combat I found it to be a step back in a lot of ways compared to previous Souls games.

Combat in Bloodborne for sure, just due to how high octane everything in it was. The changes made created a much hectic combat experience. Story felt lacking as well as actual game content though. The level design felt great but the dark tones got very stale after a while. It did need a little level diversity.

Luckily, Souls games never seem to lack for diverse areas to explore and that’s one of the main things that keeps me playing.