Dante: The Demon Hunter Thread

I had a little bit of time last night so I tried to optimize Dante’s BnB and got up to 181 AP (no corner needed). It seems I could only do one loop or else the IAS would kick in early. I added some other combos from a recording I did earlier and compiled it into a slightly less ghetto video compilation. I added it to the Videos section replacing my original video.

You can see an Aerial Arbiter into Level 1 in here but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the timing/spacing seems to be very strict. None of the upthrow combos in there are optimized as that is something I haven’t worked on yet. I gotta work on some corner combos. Right now i’m just doing the j.s.1,1,1, xx j.2 xx f.3 xx j.1
[media=youtube]x_JUp_dipRI[/media]

I also changed the notation in the thread to match 1,2,3.

On FFA:

Dante definitely suffers in FFA. Unless you manage to get someone all to yourself, uninterrupted, his longer combos, (relatively) high execution and subpar level 1 all work against him. He doesn’t have any easy long range attacks for easy AP, and though you can catch people unawares, his counter is an unreliable form of preventing a backstab, which happens far too often (and, it seems, always right as I’m attempting a level 1 combo). I’ve ragequit FFA, as it feels too random for me, and it feels like an uphill battle for Dante at the moment. His j.3 is a great tool for setting up ane asy level 2 though, if you can get enough meter.

Dante shines in 1v1 and 2v2 settings; as we have shown in this topic, he can get enough AP for a level 1 off of one hit confirm, and then the next hit confirm is just using scuzzy’s level 1 combo for the kill. In 2v2, it’s much easier to set up his level 1 and 2 - I usually play 2v2 with a Good Cole on my team, and his freeze rocket projectile easily sets up kills for Dante, particularly with level 2. Also, Dante’s 1+1+1 stagger ->angel cancel rinse/repeat allows you to hold people in place really easily for your partner to get a super, even if they have bad level 1 or 2’s. Usually my 2v2 strategy with the Good Cole I play with revolves around Cole covering Dante’s approach with his projectiles, Dante building meter for early level 1 kills, and Cole saving up for a level 2/3 for double kills/clean up towards the end of the match. usually the opposing team is a Sly/Raiden team, and they have a similar synergy to Dante/Good Cole. The games tend to go completely in either team’s favor, usually depending on if Dante kills Raiden or if Raiden kills Dante first.

Also Raiden’s Counter -> level 1 is dumb.

I like 2v2 just as much as 1v1 in this game, so I play both fairly regularly.

Yep. A good friend of mine has this game and plays a mean Ratchet, so I plan to level up Dante with him in 2v2 while learning Boyscout Cole and Big Daddy for other situations.
I really should sit down to learning his Lv1 combo it is pretty essential.
Shame counter as an anti-interrupt didn’t work but it was a pipe dream anyway. Is abandoning the combo with angel dash just as silly?

Try going airborne sooner to throw your chaser off. Do your most mobile combos. At least you gain meter, even if its not optimal.

Theoretically, Dante should have the quickest ground mobility with empty dash cancels. If you utilize (I believe it’s diplomats inputs) upback.triangle>forward circle, you will get an empty ground dash. You will still be considered airborne like a normal empty cancel, but with the ability to cancel into neutral. Meaning, you can empty dash into grab/block+roll/normals/parry/super/jump+dodge/another empty dash. For a larger window to successfully dash, you can press square. If you use circle, you can option select landing neutral for an airborne parry. Should you successfully input the dash, hitting circle will opt for a neutral landing. This makes dante a lot more mobile while being safe AND having great offensive options.

Great points scuzzy and MrGrace! Hopefully I can through some FFA tonight if I have time. I’ve been trying to mix in u.2, f.3, s.1 to kind of throw opponents off as well.

Also notations for 181 AP Combo: (added to combos section)
j.f.1 whiff, j.f.1, 1, 1, 1, 3 xx empty cancel (u.2, j.b.3, d.f.3 or 1) , 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, cross up 1, 2, 3, u.1 (hold), j.1, j.1, j.1

Can someone post an optimal Up Throw Combo? I haven’t had time to optimize those yet.

[media=youtube]A_NQXqZ4V08[/media]

Good stuff 10 Stars, adding to the Videos section.

I updated my the moveset post to include hit effects. I also fixed the notations in the combo thread (it must have gotten messed up when I switched notations). I also added more notes to some sections. If anyone has any improvement suggestions please let me know. I’m thinking the combos I posted originally are all a bit similar I may just remove some of them. There are so many different combos the list could get big. Perhaps I should only display combos above a certain AP?

Apparently Dante’s Air Parry has invincible frames. I’m going to have to play around with that if I can get a match going. Matchmaking has been horrible for me today.

This thread has been so awesome to read through and see other people struggling with the same things as me (Sackboy in FFA >:0)!

Anyways, I went on to try some “empty cancel”. I was able to get it pretty well at first, but after awhile, I had myself question the best way to execute it?

First off, are any of you Dante players using arcade sticks? In other words, should I get my stick out if I’m having trouble empty cancelling?

Second, Ive been using the empty cancel u.2 b.3, to some success, and I was wondering how others like to get the b.3 to come out more quickly? I like to imagine it like an upward quarter circle, but I was wondering if others are pushing the stick up>updiag>back OR up>neutral>back . I like the second option better because it seems like a cleaner way to do it, however, I just can’t execute it fast enough. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I noticed I the u.2 b.3 is easier by itself, but getting dante to turn back around while pressing 1 makes it a lot tougher =/

Hey dude and welcome to the Dante discussion! Glad you enjoyed the thread. I use my arcade stick in practice mode sometimes but I have issues w/ my L2/R2 buttons like many others.

When I first started empty cancelling I was doing this on my pad: u.b.2, j.d.f.3, 1 or 3. I did this because it would face me forward again so I don’t have to hit forward upon ending the Angel Dash. Now I’m doing u.2,neutral, b.3, 1 or 3. If you do the second 1/3 fast enough you will face the same side you were initially facing which makes it easier to follow up.

@Phillpro1 I gotta say that empty cancel/ FBC tutorial is very helpful. Just wanted to put that out there.

Now if only my fingers would move faster lol.

Man, probably obvious to everyone but 111 is godliek in 2v2 mode if you and your partner are aware. Such an easy crumple that horizontal supers can pick up multiple kills with.

What is your guy’s strategy for getting in on the mid range projectile characters (Ratchet, Jak, Nathan Drake)? I’m having some trouble approaching them as I usually get shot in the face. So far my plan is airdash above them and helmbreaker (j.D1)…which isn’t the best plan in the world. Anyone have any advice?

I tried out Dante on pad and I was getting blisters doing his empty cancels in combos, so I just started using the arcade stick since it’s a lot easier on my thumb.The speed in which I can do it on arcade stick is noticeably quicker as I can often just eyeball when to do it to get the full gun shots and max AP on the 1,1,1,2, EC. Bad part is, I only have a 6 button stick and I have to use select for throw.

I think I can help you out here. In order to get in on these characters, it’s important to understand exactly what spaces they can control and when. For example, Good Cole can control the space above him fairly well, but has trouble controlling the space directly in front of him. Drake relies heavily on his barrels and AK, giving you ample room to maneuver around those two tools. Of course this varies from match-up to match-up, but I’ve so far found empty jump -> air dodge a great way to progress and get through projectiles. If you time it right, you can land right in front of your opponent and hit them while they’re still lagging from their projectile.

I forget the technical name this thread assigned to it, but u.2 -> f.3 is a great way to advance; if you do it close enough to the ground, you can immediately land and cancel with your momentum with a j.d.3 and go into blocking, rolling, counter, etc. Sometimes all it takes is doing this and blocking anything on the way in.

Don’t be afraid to lame it out either. If they’re not hitting you, then they’re not getting AP. Patience is really important for these kind of match ups for Dante, and so is execution; if your execution is up to par, you can finish off a stock in 2 good combos (1 to generate 140+ AP, 1 to combo into level 1). You have to make your opportunities count. If you build up to level 2, you can stinger through most projectiles on reaction and catch your target before they can recover.

Also, remember to take advantage of platforms. This stage-dependent, of course, but moving in and out of platforms, coupled with dodging, can make your foes whiff projectiles, particularly people who aren’t thinking about moving around the stage you are. Mobility is the key here, be creative and incorporate your u.2, d.2 and f.3. make those helm breakers count; they’re a great way to start a tech chase opportunity, and thanks to the large range on Dante’s 1 series, it’s pretty easy to catch someone, particularly if you force a knockdown on a small platform/against a wall. Helm breakers also drop through platforms, and you’d be surprised how often you can catch someone who forgets this.

Good luck!

I don’t have this game, but I did get my hands on it for the second time a few days ago, I figured out how to combo into Dante’s level 1 without doing the empty cancel, but I don’t know how match practical is and I didn’t think to test what might make it practical. I don’t really know how this notation is going but basically: 1,1,1, u.2, u.3, Level 1. For whatever reason air Prop Shredder causes them to float much lower than the grounded version. This only works in the corner because the Prop Shredder only partially connects otherwise, but I didn’t try air dashing into them before doing the Prop Shredder. Instead of the level 1 you can also jump forward and start doing whatever you want in the air. You could probably even connect a grounded Prop Shredder, there is a lot of stuff I didn’t try.

Hey dante thread. I posted this video a while back to explain some combo potential I found. Enjoy and expand!
[media=youtube]wTTMXeyMqOU[/media]

First of all im glad to found this thread and i really appreciate it, cause i learned many new things out of theses combo videos and explanations. But i still have a question about dante. Sometimes its difficult for me to approach other players in combat. Because i often start with 1,1,1 in front of him. But is there a possibility to approach others when you stay a bit away from them?

My English is a bit rusty so be friendly :slight_smile:

Getting in is a big problem with Dante. As TheMrGrace pointed out, u.2->j.s.3 is a good way to get in/out quickly. You can even use the empty cancel to make pseudo wave dashes.

Dante’s 1,1,1 combo really leaves Dante open for punishment if he whiffs (can’t cancel into Ebony and Ivory on whiff). I really need to update the thread for his Movement. That will be something i’ll work on soon.