Dandy J's KOF Tutorial (designed to help transition from Street Fighter)

Which of the KOF’s in your opinion is closest in terms of gameplay to KofX II.
So far the videos I have seen have been so bad I don’t think saw anyone using hop+attack or anything…i’m beginning to worry:sweat:

Play 98, it’s as close as it gets (system-wise) and it has most of the characters that are there.

OK good i’ll start playing that…it seems to be the most popular as well. I’ve been watching some KOF XII videos trying to identify some stuff i learnt in the tutorial but these guys are using a lot of normal jumps and super jumps as jump ins.

I’m almost embarrass to ask if you can really do the tutorial stuff in kof XII but i’m asking anyway…:wgrin:

I’m excited about the stuff the tutorial thought me so i’m praying none of it goes to waste…

I seriously love you dandy, I was confused as to how these different jumps and all are happening, but I subscribed to your videos on youtube to learn more about this great game! :smiley:

omg this game seems so much harder than sf lol

So far from what we’ve heard, you can do everything that was said in the tutorial. That’s due to the fact that they’re going back to basics, so there’s no fifth buttons or other complicated functions like the post-98 games. I would highly recommend getting KOF 98 Ultimate Match. It’s got the OG version and a new one with more characters and rebalancing.

I goin to take your advice. KOF 98 ultimate match actually got release int he US this month…so it may be SNK’s way of sayin start practising ppl.

I wish I had this tutorial years ago…but i’ll try and make up for it now. You guys have been a lot of help. :pleased:

Hey Dandy, is there an eta on Part 3? My panties are dripping with anticipation.

yea man-I need that part 3

part 3, nao!!!

yo DANDY J. MAD PROPS on these tutorial vids! i like so many others am an og streetfighter, but have never played the kof games seriously, today i played kof 12 for the first time at AI and i got my ass handed to me… so did my friend… he called it a scrubarific mashfest… so did i, we couldnt AA anything worth shit… i told him that there had to be a way to AA in the game…

then i came here and found EXACTLY what i was looking for in your tutorials, the basic gameplay and flow. i never new the overall strategy to kof till you broke it down…

I LOVE THIS GAME! i dont like turtle fests but at the same time, i cant stand games where once your op is in its near impossible to get them out, thats the reason i dont like games with air dash in them… imho gg type games would be perfect if only there was no airdash…

imho that is alot like what kof seems to play like from your tutorial, this game might easily become my favorite OVER sf4… offensive poking is my perfect gameplay style and that seems what this game is all about.

heres to leveling up my game with all of the other kof newbs!

ooh yeah… outrun is, THAT SHIT! so awesome.

looking forward to part 3!

-dime

Part 3 PLZ!!
the 2 first parts ownz!!

I’ve been a casual KoF player for a good while but never really dove into the technical aspects of them… Now I’m fascinated. I can’t wait for XII! I don’t have any idea which characters I’ll end up sticking with; almost everyone in the roster has something I adore about them, whether it’s about the playstyle or the character (except maybe Raiden… that dude’s staying on the shelf).

I’m still really bad at '98… I haven’t gotten down my timing for combos yet. Every time I catch someone making a mistake, I land a C in hopes of building up to a combo but I always fuck it up. So I just swipe ‘em once and then stand there looking like a clown… I still adore the game though, for pretty much everything dime just said. Chun players representin’ in KoF, ha… Now we can indulge our mix-ups in a game that won’t gimp us on health for having them :razzy:

people in this thread have played Mark of the Wolves, right? it’s a great gateway between SF and KoF… It’s basically SF with short hops and running

Yea some people can really atest to that, and that has a even bigger effect now that XII is coming out soon because that game def has a SF3/Garou feel to it.

o yea it does-I’m so glad I was able to find a copy for my DC.it’s a beaut

Thanks for the tutorial Dandy J, its helped me improve a lot and I’ve been playing for years. I’ll be sure to recommend it to others.

Dandy J, I don’t want to be ungrateful but the guide would be MUCH more helpful if it was spoken. its too colorful and distracting and you don’t give enough time for the move after you finished the multi-colored text description. i have to constantly pause/resume/rewind.

sorry for being such a whiner.

Yeah, I feel you on that. If I ever do another project, I’m seriously just thinking about doing things Buktooth style because it’s a lot easier anyway.

BTW I’ve been a bit busy lately, so the vid hasn’t been seeing a lot of attention. I at least have 1 section done and have everything finally planned out, since for a long time I wasn’t sure how I was going to organize the rest of the vids. All the coming parts will be for KOF98. At this point I can’t really go in-depth about KOFXII without actually being able to play the game.

I understand the basics…but in general how important are matchups in Kof compared to sf2/4?

Not as important. Usually in a matchup you’re just changing details about how you attack people or stuff to beat certain strong pokes that one character has. So for example vs a character with instant grabs but no invincible anti-air, if you attack them on wakeup you always want to use a hop/jump ‘meaty’ since anything on the ground you can get grabbed out of. Certain reversals like Terry’s can be grabbed by invincible grabs like O.Yashiro’s, Vice’s or Chris’. You’ll want to know what to use to beat key pokes like Ralf st.C, Daimon st.B, etc. Sometimes it really changes, like for example Leona, Chris, and Heidern can run right under Takuma’s and others fireballs, so he can only throw them on wakeup or when he has a lot of advantage from far.

In KOF12 I get the feeling they will be even less prevalent. Just use common sense and you’ll be fine.