Critique my Sakura? :)

edit: Since more people posted a video, I guess we can turn this into a general sakura critique thread.

hi not sure where to post this cause couldn’t find a critique thread, and didnt want to spam up the video matchup thread with my noob matches :D.

Hopefully the quality is ok, because I wanted to keeep the file small but youtube made it look a bit worse
but if its too bad I can reupload a higher quality version

[media=youtube]4gKtD3IaRRY[/media]

I suppose I’ll take a crack at this if no one else will. I think everyone has their own play style but a few things that I see in general that can be improved on are the following.

For your general gameplay you pretty much know what your doing. I think you use to many ex fireballs. You could be using that meter for adding more damage with ex.tatsus or making your cr.mk > Sho safer. Meter is very important you use it wisely. It can help you get in on someone with a timed ex.tatsu over a fireball just to close the gap. I can see that you use the cr.mk > sho often which is good. I think you should maybe spread out the range of buttons your pressing. St.hk and cr.mk are both good but you need to use the shorter ones also in my opinion so you don’t give away that range where you want them to be with cr.mk. You can try throwing out a cr.mp > sho it would work the same way but with a shorter range, which might make your enemy move closer to you. When I start to fish with cr.mk sho I place the mk just infront of them. The goal is not to hit them but to wiff punish. If i’m going to hit them I make sure I have meter to make it safe just in case they block.

You should take some time to learn your tatsu loops. You might know them but I don’t remember seeing you land any. Against Akuma I watched you block a lot of fireballs. In the first two rounds I watched you block at least 10 fullscreen fireballs. Even if its a little bit of damage your giving it up for free, and you really shouldn’t. If you don’t want to block them you can just netural jump for safety. Another choice is to focus a few, it will build your ultra early and just having that alone will limit the options of your opponent.

Just take it one step at a time and keep playing. If someone online completely destroys you, give them props and ask to go for a few. You’ll learn the matchup. Go read the matchups on the people that give you problems, like Akuma and such. Don’t throw out random Sho’s. It never ends well. Limit your jumping, same deal.

Keep playing , ask questions, practice, improve and win.

I think one of the main problems is that your playing a turtle style but not AA’ing properly. If you look at the Juri match she jumped in about 5-6 times for free on the 2nd round until you were at half health. Learn your different AA’s and the spacing to use them, It also changes on the angle of your opponents jump. Never ground tatsu through fireballs at full screen, just too much delay and a good player will punish that haaard. Try to be less predictable with your fireballs as well. Your wasting alot of meter on blocked cr.mk to shou fadc, If you cant hit confirm it try not to throw it out unsafely. Also a lot of meter wasted on ex fireballs. I love ex fireball and think its a great tool but you have to know when to place it, its just a waste to use full screen unless your opponent is at chip health. Keep it up!

Nice thanks a lot for the comments guys, I agree I’m definitely wasting a lot of meter with ex fireballs and fadcing unsafe shouoken. Been trying to work on that lately and it granted me more meter for ex tatsu combos. And yeah my anti airs arent that great, I used to be slightly better at them when I practiced them every day, but after not practicing for a while I guess it doesn’t come natural to me anymore so definitely have to work on that too.

Regarding the tatsu loops, I actually do know how to use them but I’m not sure when to use them, at the time I only knew how to use them when there was a punish opportunity but since im so used to punishing with mk/hp> sho I somtimes forget to use them. Been testing out other setups lately, cause I notice that when I cross up I usually almost always use the hitconfirm into shouoken, but I guess in some cases that can be a good spot to start a tatsu loop? Honestly I have yet to find out when to use the tatsus, because I cant really sho fadc into tatsu consistently yet, so I was wondering when are good times to use them?

All the time. Its just maximizing your damage. If you land a jump in… do it. If you are close enough to punish with a cl.hp then do it. If your too far to punish with anything but cr.mk sho then dont worry about it. One full tatsu loop combo will net you a lot of stun and like 30% of their health. Why pass that up? Also another thing you should try when crossing up is an empty jump low short. It catches people often if you mix it up.

Cool I will keep that in mind then

Nice, I’ve been applying some of the advice you gave me and already getting a bit more wins, even against what I presumed to be much better opponents! Just trying to actively land the tatsu loops really helped a lot, but i noticed the standard bread and butter loop that was listed somewhere else only works up close, so I still have to figure out what the best loops are in certain situations and vs certain characters.

improvements are good.

[media=youtube]5ma0KjzKm5M[/media]

BlackVenom, practice stLP > crMK and stLP > crHP more, also need to learn safe jumps, BnB tatsu loop combo and BnB normal combo…

Would probably be more helpful too if he posted a video of him playing someone who actually knows how to block and tech throws :smiley:

[media=youtube]lp2aL0zRzwI[/media]

[media=youtube]KcmGF0Ddu68[/media]

Some things I noticed from the start, you jump wayyyyyyy too much, and barely walk at all, for now, try to jump as little as possible and basically only jump when the other person is knocked down or when trying to avoid a fireball. Which brings me to my next point, because you’re mostly jumping to get from one point to another, you basically have no form of neutral game whatsoever, a good way to read up on that is this site http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702, basically the ultimate footsies guide, chapter 5 also handles jumping.

Another thing I noticed is that you don’t really know her basic combos, I would check out one of the stickies that have them all listed, I think for now a good one to practice would be cr. lk, cr. lp, cr.mk xx (cancel) into shouoken, or cr. cr.lp cr.hp xx shouoken/EX tatsu, depending on range, and learn these two bnb punish combos, cl. st. (close standing) hp xx tatsu, cr.hp xx EX tatsu > otoshi/sweep/ultra1/ultra2, or cl. st. hp. xx tatsu, st. lk, xx EX tatsu > otoshi/sweep/ultra1/ultra2.

The latter combos can be a bit tricky at first, so if you cant do them 100% yet, you can always punish with something simpler like cl. st hp xx shouken/EX tatsu.

This also brings me to my next point, you’re wasting a ton of meter, one of the reasons being that you can’t connect a normal otoshi after EX tatsu, so you do EX otoshi instead, then somehow still whiff, but even in general, I notice you for example use cl. st. hp xx EX shouoken a lot, a much better option would be cl.st hp xx EX tatsu, otoshi/sweep if you want to spend the same amount of meter for more damage and a hard knockdown.

These were the main points I wanted to cover, hopefully this helps and in case I’ve missed something , I hope someone else will be willing to comment on that.

An even better option is cl.st HP xx EX tatsu --> Dash --> j.HP --> (( Many options here )).
For specific characters, if you time it correctly, you can end up on the other side; thus making it a killer cross-up!

As good as that reset is on some characters, he should still learn to play Sakura properly…

Can you explain how to play a Sakura “properly” please?

Solid play rather than gimmicks is better IMO with any character in this game… don’t get so offended man. Wipe your tears.
Also why do you type in bold?

#kappa

[media=youtube]3JVqVaDupNg[/media]
Here’s mine. It’s pretty laggy when I played it, but pls, critique. I really wanna improve my game. :smiley: