Controlling Detonation of Shocking Pink

Joe can stop his bombs from exploding and then detonate them at will using this trick:

Using Meter:

1. Perform QCB + hold any attack [L/M/H] button (don’t release until step 3)
  2. Perform any hyper after the bomb taps Joe’s foot at least once. The bomb will be released.
  3. The bomb will not explode and can be knocked around the stage indefinitely, as long as you are holding any attack button. You can even switch buttons, like Zero can for his Charge Shot.
  4. Release any held attack button to detonate the bomb at will.

First Video: [media=youtube]iL-EBd20FzU[/media]
Video of storing/detonating within a combo: [media=youtube]p1KZXDdec2k[/media]

Without Meter:

1. Perform QCB + hold any attack [L,M,H] button (don’t release until step 3)
  2. Hold another attack button.
  3. Release the first-held attack button.
  4. The bomb will not explode and can be knocked around the stage indefinitely, as long as you are holding any attack button. You can even switch buttons, like Zero can for his Charge Shot.
  5. Release the button to detonate the bomb at will.

Meterless Video: [media=youtube]ymOUDX3pw5w[/media]

You can store a detonator mid-combo with either method with proper use of assists.

Special is not a normal attack button and will not hold the detonator.

Your bomb will immediately detonate if you are hit or if you switch characters in any way.
Your bomb will detonate if either player pauses (upon unpausing).

I like this a lot. Shocking Pink trolling will get so much more awesome with this.

Good job man! It will be hard to do setups with this since you can’t combo into a held bomb. There is plenty of time to do it after killing a character though (at the cost of a bar of course).

You CAN combo into Godhand after a foot-tap of the bomb, at least using assists. Think c.L-c.M-Call Dante Jam Session-c.H-QCB+hold L-Godhand.

You can also use the detonation to continue a combo after Godhand, though the timing and spacing have to be improbably exact.

Can you snapback after Godhand -> bomb otg -> snapback? Would be a nice way to screw over their assists lol.

Yes you can! [media=youtube]p1KZXDdec2k[/media]

Actually, in this case, the bomb doesn’t OTG; it links. The button release seems to be a very tight link, since the opponent is invulnerable while Joe lays the Godhand on them. The bomb release may be unique in the game in that it can be activated at any time, even during Joe’s attack recovery and even during times when X-Factor will not activate (e.g. mid-Godhand).

There are ways to add more damage to the combo between the Godhand and the snapback. This is still a work in progress. Still, any combo that slows and snaps out a character is pretty insane!

I’m looking for ways to setup detonator combos (or just tricks/traps) with different assists, from different areas on-screen, and using different hypers. The bomb bounces around whenever any attack or projectile hits it, but it does act the same way every time. For example, from mid-screen you can do cL-cM-[Chun legs]-cH, store bomb, Desperado. The hyper shot will send the bomb way behind the opponent and bounce it off the back wall. If done mid-screen, it’ll end up just behind the opponent and off-screen. If they press any button, you can simply release the bomb to hit them and/or their assist. They’ll literally never know what hit 'em! You can even combo the explosion to a Desperado performed as you release the bomb.

There are also defensive uses for the bomb. It’ll blow up as soon as you take a hit. While this might seem like a drawback, it could actually help in some cases. If you hold it close to you, you can use it similarly to Dormammu’s flame carpet. Stand right on it. If you get taken by surprise by a teleport and hit in the back, it’ll hit your attacker away. You don’t even have to time the release, as it happens automatically. If you keep blocking, you get to keep your bomb.

Now that’s what I’m talking about! :woot:

Now I’m just worried that I’ll have to change my partner if this tactic somehow ends up making Joe god-tier. Tasky’s Aim Master assist does hit multiple times, but it also pushes the opponent back. Unless I somehow get a bomb behind my opponent after calling the assist while doing a crossup, I don’t think I will be able to combo into god hand. :frowning:

It turns out that you could already combo from Godhand straight into a snapback. I had no idea. It says here in the great BradyGAMES bible that Godhand leaves Joe at +3, while a snapback comes out in 1 frame. Shocking Pink’s explosion is active for 8 frames. So, instead of a 3-frame link post-Godhand, you have to do an 11-frame link. The only problem, again, is the exact spacing.

Another trick I was working on was comboing a foot-tapped bomb into Mach Speed, following with an air combo, then a reset into backwards air-throw. You can guarantee that they’ll land in the OTG blast-radius, but I’m not sure yet if it requires a specific starting point. You can launch an air Desperado on the way down from the air throw as you detonate.

Wow! That video on the front page shows some crazy uses of this. I love the Ultra-Slowdown Joe/Ammy combo.

I was just about to post the vid here when I saw this thread.

one question. I play x23 on my team and i have a button layout thats made so that I can hold the speciall button at all times. will this explosion control work with special or does it have to be an normal button?

This is AMAZING. Thanks for the find and sharing.
Now we need a definative list of which assist V-Joe can use to get into 2C, Partner@, A-Bomb(HOLD), Godhand, ]A[, Partner Exchange…Build Meter!

I will start on this tomorrow. I do hope my team can do it. =/

It has to be a normal button. L,M, or H.

There are also assists that let him store the meterless bomb, throw it, and continue the combo. The combo vid on the frontpage did it with Chun Legs, store/drop detonator, c.H, etc.

So far we know this works with:

Magneto- hyper grab
Spencer- Pull
Chun- Lightning legs
Cap’n- Shield slash

Anyone else have contributions?

Amaterasu works as well. I have 700K bomb combos. I don’t need the detonation trick though…

I just discovered this thread yesterday and i have to say i was real surprised by the great potential of shockin pink. Now im tryin to come up with some stuff but im havin problems with that setup shown at 1:42 in this video

[media=youtube]mi9tzDxJBdo[/media]

im having trouble finding the exact timing for the hypergrav assist and im not too sure which bomb to use, also im hitting the bomb by accident with the godhand, could someone give me the exact notation plz?

right now im tryin to do the rom into dhc glitch to joe and then goin for that setup with the delayed bomb as shown in the video that would be too good.

As the opponent is falling they I believe he’s doing ASSIST+M, H, c.H, hyper grav hits, call bomb.

In terms of hitting the bomb with your slow super, thats whats suppose to happen. The reason why comboing a bomb after a slow super is so impractical is because it doesn’t work in the corner, nor mid screen. You have to be at the right spot just outside the corner. That way when your slow super hits the bomb it bounces off the wall and comes back in the right spot where your opponent is. If you want to get that combo you have to be aware of where you are at the stage at all times.

Of course I believe there are plenty of practical bomb otg combos you can do. My bnb with Joe has bomb otg incorporated in it because of my amaterasu assist.

Question: Is this still in Ultimate? I hear that Joe’s bombs don’t hurt him anymore, so if the detonation can still be controlled, I see it being much more useful.

Capcom didn’t mention removing it so its safe to assume that its still in. This basically means that Joe now has a good non gimmicky OTG move that can extend combos if it is still in.

It’s still in, according to the changelog. The latest changelog mentions “Shocking Pink will not explode when sliding between buttons, and it cannot be juggled.” This isn’t actually a change. The “sliding” is basically they meterless method described in the OP. I have no idea what they mean by “it cannot be juggled,” though. Do they mean that the bomb can’t be bounced around the stage, or that it won’t juggle an opponent?

I assumed Joe doesn’t bounce it on his foot anymore. I could be completely wrong.

This is my guess too. That would make the entire animation faster I’m guessing.