Complete Oro Thread

INTRO

Spoiler

Welcome to the world of Street Fighter III!The purpose of this thread is to stop all of those random “new oro w/ tengu question” type threads that keep popping up. There needs to be a centralized place for all your Oro needs, and I have the free time to keep up with this thread. Please contribute! I will add any new info to the first post, and credit you for your additions. Enjoy playing! :smiley:

GENERAL INFO

Why choose Oro?

[details=Spoiler]He’s generally considered dead center in the tier list, however, he is one of the least frequently played characters, so people outside of your regular play group may be unfamiliar with his tricks. He has some long juggles, but they are not particularly hard to execute, like Urien’s or Yun’s. Creative players may wish to choose Oro because he has many unique attributes, such as EX-able supers, an air grab, and he is the only member of the 3s cast with a double jump. His normals, specials, and supers are all highly regarded. He can also have two fireballs on the screen at once, unlike the rest of the cast. Although he has to charge for his fireball and Shoryuken, he has motion moves.
[/details]

Players to watch:

Spoiler

Japanese: Dirty♪ (aka Dirty Music), Thanatos, Inoue, Hirochan
US: Hungbee (aka HungB, Hung B, and Hung Bee), ThyAllMighty

General Strengths:

Spoiler

Good universal overhead.
Great set of normals at most distances and situations(which I will discuss later)
Air grab.
Double Jump.
Amazing dash/back dash.
He’s ridiculously short when crouching. Many moves fly over him.
His command grab causes an untechable knockdown.
Good set of supers, which all have EX versions (also discussed later)
Varied styles of play and loads of gimmicks to throw people off.
He does a lot of stun damage.
Unblockable setups with SAII, which leads to very big combos.
Potential for big juggles that lead to damage, and great reset potential.
His kara range is excellent.
Has a big stun bar.

General Weaknesses:

Spoiler

No matter how Oro grabs (back + grab, neutral grab, command grab, or even when his ground or air grab is teched), he lands on the opposing side of the enemy. This can make corner pressure difficult at times, but can also get Oro out of the corner.
His command grab (HCB + P) is blockable and VERY unsafe.
The meter for Tengu Stones (SAIII) is very long and only stocks 1 super, so you won’t be using many EX moves unless you are on super art II.
The toys Oro gets from SAIII are random and may drop your combos
He is considered to have an 8-2 match-up vs Chun-Li (in her favor)
His most efficient meter-building tool involves jumping, so it can be hard to build meter from a distance.
Any character that can do UOH linked into super can do so against crouching Oro from any range :frowning:
His sweep (cr. HK) range isn’t great.
He cannot link UOH into any super :frowning:

By Red Venom:
Oro has no significant damage potential from outside of point blank range and no invincible/fast cancelling move without holding a down charge, this makes him incredibly susceptible to players attempting very often to parry so they can confirm something big. In addition all of his long range pokes can be parried high except his sweep which does minimal damage/stun. Another issue is Oro’s s.hp, one of his overheads is among the slowest in the game. Nearly [15 frames] not including any time you spent standing before hitting the button, makes reaction to this fairly trivial.

PLAYING ORO

Normals: (incomplete) (I’ll just start with normals I find more relevant and add as time goes on)

Standing:

Spoiler

LP- Palm strike. Good range for such a quick attack. Parryable high or low.

MP- Stabby fingers. Decent far poke. Has better recovery than st. MK, but much less range. High parry only.

HP- Karate chop. 2 hits. Both are overhead. It takes a long time to start up, but can chop people down out of the air. It can also be good in high/low mixups when the Tengu Stones are out. High parry only.

LK- Lean back foot attack. 3 frame start up and frame advantage. Great attack. It’s only downfall is that it’s parryable high or low.

MK- Hop kick. Insane range and great recovery. Decent damage for a single hit. Keeps opponents at a distance. Oro’s stand MK is one of the furthest Karas in the game.

HK- Powerful kick. This does a ton of stun and has range similar to the stand MK. Whiffs vs many crouching characters, but does insane stun damage. He can stun most of the cast with only 4 HKs.

Close:

Spoiler

LP- Elbow. 3 frame start up and massive frame advantage. Great for tic throws, combo resets, and anti-air resets. The only thing limiting this move is that it is high or low parryable, so I tend to use cl. LK more often for tics.

MP- Uppercut. This is a 2 hit punch, which launches and leads to damaging juggles and is pretty safe. It is special and super cancellable. The first hit is super jump cancellable. One of Oro’s best moves. Parryable high only.

LK- Knee. 2 frame start up. Great with regular Tengu Stones out. Useful for tic throws and for escaping throw set-ups. Parryable high only.

MK- Slower, more powerful knee. Special cancellable. Often used to combo into Oro’s command grab for big damage and stun, as well as an un-techable knockdown. Parryable high only.

Crouching: Oro’s crouching normals have decent range and start up. A beginning Oro should be trying to figure out how to implement most of these into his or her matches. All of Oro’s crouching kicks are only parryable low.

Spoiler

LP- Palm strike. Like the standing LP, there is a 4 frame start up, however, the crouching version leaves Oro at +1, making it a little bit better. H/L parryable

MP- Proctologist attack. I find this more useful in some matches than others. Characters with dash punch or slide- in type moves may run into this a lot, such as Makoto, Dudley, Alex, and Ibuki. It’s special cancelable, so you can let them block a cr MP, then LP fireball to add some pressure (although this does not combo). I also find my self using cr MP xxx Oni Yanma as an anti-air. H/L parryable limits usefulness.

HP- Salute the great turtle in the sky. Good range and only a 6 frame startup. I frequently conter-poke opponents with cr. HP. This is also the only move that combos into Oro’s EX SAI. H/L parryable (I believe)

LK- Short kick.

MK- Same as cr. LK, but slightly better range and longer start up and active frames. Special cancelable.

HK- Sweep. The range is lacking when compared to shotos, but it’s still useful. With EX Tengu Stones active, use Oro’s sweep to combo into juggles if the opponent is blocking high.

Kara-ing with Oro:

Spoiler

Standing far MK

Standing HK

Grabs: (LP + LK) Note that when Oro’s grabs connect or are teched (even air throw) Oro lands on the opposing side of the opponent from when he started the attack. Consider this when applying corner pressure.

Spoiler

Neutral grab: Oro jumps on his opponents head and begins crushing their neck while rubbing his testicles and penis on the opponent’s ear, then lands right next to their body on the opposite side. Mash for more damage and hits. This is one of the worst grabs in the game, since it is completely out-classed by his back + grab.

Back grab: Oro will roll under his opponent and kick them to the other side of the screen. This is a great grab. It gets them far enough away that Tengu Stone activations will be safe. And SAII activations will work vs many characters depending on quick rise or not. Make sure if you use the back grab as a time to activate super that you do the activation juuuust before the enemy hits the ground, this way you will mess up their quick rise timing. You can also back throw, then dash, dash, then grab on wake up, or back throw, then super jump, land, cr MKxxxHP or EX Oni Yanma. Too many gimmicks to list in this section. ALWAYS BACK GRAB. NEVER NEUTRAL GRAB WITH ORO.

Universal Overhead: (MP + MK)

Spoiler

One of the best in the game. Oro will be OTG (and therefore unthrowable) as soon as he uses it. It also has good range and quick recovery. Although he has no link from UOH into any of his six supers, it can be used after an SAII or SAIII activation to lead to combos. Someone let me know if they have the exact frame data. I seem to have lost it.

Taunt: (HP + HK)

Spoiler

Oro falls asleep. A snot bubble drips out of his nose and Z’s appear over his head. This lowers his current stun. Can be done after a back throw or a well placed EX fireball. If you hold down the buttons, he will sleep longer and reduce his stun even more. If you want to troll, feel free to back throw, hold down taunt, then wake up as the opponent approaches you, then activate EX SAI. Best troll in the game IMO.

Jumping:

Spoiler

LP- Elbow drop

MP- Elbow drop with longer start up time. I don’t use this a lot.

HP- Spinny Oro. Hits twice and had long start up, so you can whiff it close to the ground to confuse grounded opponents. Decent and funny air to air.

LK- Knee. Resets.

MK- Knee with an amazing cross up hitbox and active frames. Use this move very deep into Oro’s jump to link to cl. MP for juggles.

HK- Regular Kick. Can be done close to the ground, then linked to cl. MP for big juggles.

Command Normal:

Spoiler

Toward + MP: Sticks his fist straight out and spins. Moves Oro forwards. Really long start up time and he is often his out of this move by lows unless he is max distance from the opponent or counter-poking. I only find myself using this move a lot vs Dudley, but I sometimes use it vs Alex and Makoto.

Target Chain:

Spoiler

Stand LK, Stand MK: Has some use with regular Tengu Stones active. Combos into command grab, and can therefore be used effectively during Oro’s unblockables.

VIDS

Tutorials:
Man of Gold

Combo Videos:
100% Damage vs Chun. No resets needed.
Inoue’s channel. It has a lot of crazy stun juggles and SAII loops.
Zak’s channel. He’s an Oro player from England. Also has weird and creative combos demonstrated here.

Match Videos:
Thanatos at SBO '04
Dirty owning at Gamer’s Vision
Hungbee OR vs Raoh CH at Evo 2k6
Magu RY vs Magimemagio OR

Specials: (incomplete)

Spoiler

Nichiirin Shyou (EX okay): Fireball that hits once. Done by charging back, forward + P. The strength of the punch changes the angle. They all have a 15 frame start up, except the fierce version, which has a 13 frame start up. From weakest to strongest, the fireball is -6, -4, -2, and +1 for the EX version. It can be kara’d with far standing MK, or standing HK to throw off opponents.

Jab version- Throws the fireball straight across the screen. It’s okay I guess.

Strong version- Throws at a 45 degree upwards tilt. Can hit many tall characters, like Alex, Hugo, Dudley, and Urien while they are standing.

Fierce version- Throws the ball nearly straight up. Sometimes this is a decent anti-air. Can hit Hugo if he is standing close or mid distance if Oro kara’s.

EX version vs a grounded character- Throws a slow-moving homing version that hits twice. Can be used to create unblockables. The ball travels about the distance of the screen, so if you dash up behind it and the enemy stays put, it will disappear and they won’t get hit. You can dash behind it to close distance without having to fear getting hit if you do it right.

EX version vs an airborne character- Throws the homing, slow-moving, 2 hit ball at a 45 degree angle upwards. It is sometimes a good anti-air. If you are able to use this EX upwards fireball, Oro can throw another regular fireball, or throw an EX fireball vs a grounded opponent and have 2 fireballs on the screen at the same time. This is rare and often a waste of meter (as seen in this match), but can be an interesting trick if they are cornered and you have meter to burn w/ SAII.

Jichnuu Watari (EX okay): The chicken dance/head stomps. It hits overhead. Done with QCF + K. Oro jumps off the ground quickly, then quickly arches back down in mid-air and starts stomping. The strength of the kick changes the arch, with short making Oro hop the shortest distance, and roundhouse sends him almost full screen. The EX version is homing and he stomps more times, which causes more chip. This is very unsafe on block and I only recommend using it in combos. There are some gimmicks that will confuse new players, such as blocked cl. MKxxx MK Jichnuu, but that’s not usually a great option. All strengths can be punished with reversal supers like Chun SAII or Dudley SAIII. Sometimes, the EX version can be used after the enemy does and empty jump-in so Oro can get some chip damage in

Hitobashira Nobori: Air Chicken Dance. QCF + K when in air. This move has two variations depending on which part of Oro’s jump arc you are in- the upwards arc and the downwards arc.

On the way up (EX okay)- Air CD connects while Oro is in the upward part of his jump arc, he will stomp on the opponent’s head quickly. You can mash the kick buttons for extra hits and Oro will dance all the way to the top of the screen. The best part about this version is that it must be block high, and can be done as soon as Oro leaves the ground. So, if the enemy likes to block low a lot, just walk up to them, jump and immediately qcf + mash K for a very difficult to react to overhead attack. On block or whiff, Oro will only stomp a couple times, then flies to the other side of the screen and is sometimes hard to punish if he doesn’t corner himself this way.

On the way down- Oro stomps twice and puts the opponent into a juggle state which can be followed up with his big cl. MP juggles that lead to supers and chicken dancing. This is also an overhead, but no EX version is available. Condition the opponent to think you will empty jump, then throw, then use this version of the chicken dance to cause their demise.

Oni Yanma (EX okay): Oro’s version of a Shoryuken. It is performed by charging from down to up + P. It works somewhat like Ken’s Shoryu in that; Oro’s SRK will cause him to fly up in the air and slightly forwards, with the weak version covering the least distance and being the least safe, the heavy and EX versions being the least safe, and the EX versions have invulnerability. Also like multi-hitting DPs in 3s, Oro’s can cause the opponent to need to change parry direction in mid-air if he or she is at the right distance.
A common use of Oni Yanma is either jump HP or empty jump, land, (either) cr. LK or cr. MKxxx HP or EX Oni Yanma. Or empy jump or jump HP, land, EX Oni Yanma, since Oro will immediately become invulnderable… Don’t be predictable with this, but it’s a neat gimmick since a lot of (American) players will try to throw Oro as soon as he lands.

Niou Riki: Command grab, which is blockable. The input is HCB + P. Does a lot of damage and stun to the opponenet. Extremely unsafe on block (all versions are -15). Strength changes start up and recovery time, but is always unsafe. The knockdown is un-techable, giving Oro the opporotunity to use either SAII or SAIII before the opponent wakes up. When it connects, it leaves the opponent on the opposite side, so this must be taken into account if you have them cornered, but by the same token, is good for cornering them. Can be comboed into by cancelling out of standing close MK, or crouching MK. Can be kara’d with far MK or st. HK for massive range.

A couple frequent set-ups I use are;

(Block a super such as Ken SAIII when I am cornered as Oro, or when I parry the last hit of a blocked Chun SAII), punish with cl MKxx command grab, then activate Tengu stones (EX or regular), then begin high/low mixups for combos or chip.

Also; (with regular Tengu Stones active (this is toy-specific, but most sets of them will allow it)) UOH, link to cl MK xxx command grab.

Supers: (There is a lot to be added here) Oro’s supers are all activated by qcf x 2 + P, and have an EX version available when he is fully stocked on meter by using qcf x 2 + either PP or PPP. None of them are normal kicking punching combos like Ken SAIII, or Chun-Li’s SAII. An interesting fact is that Oro uses his consealed arm during all of the EX versions of his supers. See the combo section for more in-depth info on Oro’s supers.

Spoiler

SAI: This super is not suitable for tournament play due to only stocking one meter (albeit a small, easy to fill one), low damage, and the fact that damage is not garunteed, even when comboed into.

Regular version- When activated, Oro will blink orange and his punches will turn into an unblockable, psychotic version of his command grab which can also be done in the air. Timer doesn’t last very long. There is enough time to land the grab twice, but you will have to troll your hardest to land the second grab. Can be comboed into from his regular bnb chicken dance combos.

EX version - This is slightly better, but still awful. Low damage output. Upon usage, Oro blinks orange, screams, and leaps at the opponent. If it connects, Oro throws the opponent to the moon, jumps up after them, then they both come crashing to the ground (with Oro head first) and there is an explosion. He is invincible during the hop, so it can be used to go through fireballs and normals. Can be comboed from cr. HP.

SAII: Stocks 3 meters that are pretty small. If you like Oro’s EX moves in a particular match up, you will probably use SAII. This is not used as frequently as SAIII, Tengu Stones, but is still very good.

Regular version- Oro creates a green planet which will slowly float across the screen. It hits four times and his parryable high or low. The strength of the punch the player chooses to activate SAII with will change the arc and distance traveled of the ball, in a similar fasion to his regular fireball, LP causes the ball to go straight, MP is slightly arched, and HP is about a 45 degree angle. The ball travels about one full screen, with the MP and HP versions going slightly less than that. SAII is a good zoning tool, since the opponent either has to jump over it, block it, parry it, or dash under the MP/HP versions to get out. No matter which case, the Oro player will know what the opponent is going to do to escape and plan a response accordingly.

It is very good, especially vs Dudley and Alex, but sometimes other fat characters, or characters without projectiles, like Elena. The start up time is massive, so only use this if Oro cannot be hit, like during combos or after he connects a command grab. In some cases, Oro will completely form the ball, gets hit by a wake up super or something, and the ball disappears. THAT’s how long the start up time is. :frowning:

The best aspect of this super is the long unblockable loops it creates, seen here. I will go more into depth on how to do the unblockables in the combo section later in this guide.

EX version- Not good except for troll victories. Can be comboed into mid-screen with a simple 2 hit cl. MP. It does decent chip damage, and although many other players may not realize this, you can mash forwards to parry this move. No timing involved.

SAIII: This is the preferred super vs most of the cast and to be a good Oro player you MUST learn to use the Tengu Stones well. The stones do chip damage and create custom combos, and unblockables. Choosing to activate the regular or EX version often comes down to player preference, match-up, and life lead/spacing at the moment you activate. NEVER LOSE WITH YOUR METER IF YOU ARE PLAYING THIS SUPER. During activation, Oro is fireball invulnerable except for Remy’s LOVs (I need to test this more though).

I will refer to the objects he gets as “toys.” Sometimes (on arcade version) the Tengu Stones go crazy and start hitting the opponent even when Oro is knocked down, and other times do not actually fly away when the timer is up. Usually, these anomalies are in Oro’s favor :slight_smile:

The toys- Human head sized rock, space ship, piece of a building, animal cracker, and brick. Make sure you are careful if you get any bricks, since they tend to drop you combos and don’t make your moves as safe as the other toys, so play a little safer if you get a couple bricks.

Regular version- Oro will summon three random toys with a long timer. This is better for chip damage and some ghetto crossup unblockables because of how long the timer lasts. This version doesn’t get big combos, like the EX variety, but, it can still deal a lot of damage because of chip. It is good to activate near the end of a round if Oro has no other hope of winning.

EX version- Oro will summon five random toys with a significantly shorter timer. This is what leads to most of Oro’s damaging combos, and is used in his 100%'s. It does decent chip and sets up unblockables, but not as well as the regular Tengu Stones. It is most useful during a combo, but can still be good as a raw activation.

HOW JUGGLES WORK

Under construction. Please tell me any errors or info that I overlooked.

Spoiler

To understand Oro’s juggles, one must have a primer to how all juggles work in Third Strike. Essentially, every move in 3s is assigned a certain number of juggle points. If the juggle counter reaches six or higher, the opponent will flip out of the juggle, and cannot be hit until after he or she lands on the ground. As the juggle counter goes up, damage scaling takes effect, and each hit does less and less damage than if you were to use that attack without any juggle points on the counter. Once the juggle counter is at five, a player can only use one more move before a juggle ends.

Launchers: A launcher is a move that puts an opponent into a juggle state. Many long juggles in 3s require moves that launch to be used multiple times in one combo.

Resets: A reset will bring the juggle counter back down to zero and cause the opponent to drop out of a combo. Resets are good for creating ambiguous situations. A reset also “resets” the damage scaling back to normal, since the counter is zero. Based on which move was used to reset, sometimes a 3s character (including Oro) can force the enemy to air parry out of the next move. Because of this, resets can lead to more damage than if the player were to simply fill up the juggle counter.

Values of Oro’s common juggle moves:
First hit of cl. MP- 1 pt (launches)
Second hit of cl. MP- 3 pts (launches)
Chicken Dance (all forms)- 1 pt. Only the upward arc of air CD does not put the opponent into a juggle state.
Fireball- 1 pt

cr. HP- 1 pt (resets)
st. LP- 1 pt (resets)

Oro’s supers all reset the juggle counter to zero, but the opponent does NOT flip out of the combo EXCEPT the regular (non-EX) Tengu Stones.

COMBOS

Spoiler

(cl. MP (1 hit) xxx Chicken Dance)- will be referred to as a “Chicken Rep[etition]” throughout the rest of my post.

Meterless:
Oro’s basic bnb used for punishing. I call it “The Chicken Dance Combo,” which I will henceforth refer to as CD or CD combo (including variants of CD).

1. Chicken rep, land, juggle with chicken rep, land, juggle with LP Oni Yanma.

This combo does decent damage and builds a lot of meter. It drops vs Yang, Yun, and Hugo, but it works if you drop a chicken rep. Different characters have varying levels of difficulty to juggle and varied timing when doing this combo. Alex and Dudley are the easiest, then everyone with a wide hit-box, then shotos are the most difficult. This combo tends to be easier in the corner.

The CD combo can not be hit- confirmed, so it is for punishes and guessing games ONLY. You will be very vulnerable if it does not connect.

Here are some safer, un-metered combos.

1. cl. MP (2 hit), juggle w/ stand HK

This does good stun damage and is extremely easy to confirm. Hits the opponent somewhat far away.

1. cl. MP (2 hit), jump, j. HK

The HK resets the opponent in the air and there is a mix-up situation when the two of you land, which I will talk more about in the SETUPS section of this guide.

There are two ways of combo-ing into Oro’s command grab, which scores an un-techable knockdown, and allows raw super activations and gimmicks.

1. Either cl MK or cr MK cancelled into command grab.

EX SAIII Combo:

This is Oro’s big, easy way to deal damage; the EX Tengu Stones. Here’s the biggest mid screen combo:

1. 1 hit cl MPxxx MK Chicken dance, land, juggle with 1 hit cl MPxxx MK chicken dance, land, juggle with 1 hit cl. MP xxx EX Tengu stones

NOTE: You can combo into EX Tengu after only one repetition of mpxxx chicken dance, or simply 2 hit MPxxx EX Tengu. I only go for the entire combo if I don’t have a full meter, or I know it’s going to kill them. It’s much easier to just 2 hit mpxxx EX Tengu.

If the opponent is cornered and you want to activate EX Tengu, there’s a reset opporotunity that is necessary for Oro’s 100% combos:

1. 1 hit cl MPxxx MK Chicken dance, land, juggle with 1 hit cl MPxxx MK chicken dance, land, juggle with cr. HP xxx EX Tengu stones. (after this activation, hold towards and hit them with a jab as fast as possible. HK comes out slow and does not always connect vs small characters who fall quickly, then the combo is just HK HK HK HK…)

After the EX Tengu activation in a combo (without the cr. HP reset), juggle with either;

1. jump HK, land, juggle w/ cl MK, repeat. (During this combo, you need to do toward + MP every once in a while if they get too far away. Go in training mode and you’ll get a feel for this.)

2. juggle w/ st. HK, toward MP, toward MP, repeat. I use this one mainly vs shotos, twins, Hugo, and Chun Li, since it seems like they randomly go in the wrong direction during the other juggle.

IF YOU HAVE THEM IN THE CORNER WITH EX TENGU STONES ACTIVATED:

1. HK (repeat).

Yup! That’s it! If you are performing a juggle and it takes the opponent all the way to the corner, just start pressing roundhouse instead of the other stuff. Keep in mind that you wanna hit with Oro’s leg for max damage output.

Combo Enders after a super runs out: Pretty much any of the previously mentioned combos lead out of supers. If you are using SAII, the only combo ender you should really do is the full chicken dance combo to build back your meter for another unblockable.

The only combo I tend to use only as an ender was presented to me by Cali Oro player Red Venom:

1. EX SAIII ends, 2 hit MP, MP fireball, st. HK (or cl. LP for a reset)

It tends to work well vs shotos, since the full chicken dance combo can be hard to do on them, but this only really works in the corner, which is where many Tengu combos end up.

SETUPS, Advanced, and Miscellaneous

Spoiler

SAII: (to be added)

SAIII:
I made a couple of really basic tutorials on SAIII. I may make better tutorials some day, if they are requested. This one covers some EX Tengu, and this one covers mostly regular Tengu.

Choosing which Tengu to use:
This is highly based on player preference, and I see EX and regular stones activated in all sorts of ways. In general, I’d recommend using EX stones during a combo, or if you have full meter and Oro is punishing, simply 2 hit MP xxx Stones (then juggle appropriately). I opt to use non-ex stones out of combo a lot of the time unless it’s a situation where the enemy has a lot of life, the timer is going to run out, and I’m almost dead. I really just like having the option to juggle more. The EX stones don’t last very long, so they are the worse choice if Oro is trying to chip the opponent to death.

Regular SAIII (3 stones): This is good for chipping opponents and keeping presence on the fight for a while. The stones last a really long time. Usually you want to activated non-EX stones after a backthrow or sweep that leaves the opponent cornered. Try to activated just before they land to mess up their meaty timing. You can also cancel into stones after throwing a fireball to make them safe to use, since there is recovery. Don’t just randomly use them. Stones make meaties very easy; all Oro needs to do is whiff a move and let the stones hit as the opponent gets up, and he can block. Make sure that when applying pressure, you don’t just mash light kick and walk forwards. The stones don’t hit as often as Genei Jin shadows, most of them attack every other move that Oro does. So you kind of stutter like… lk (walk forwards with stones), lk (walk forwards with stones), cr lk… If Oro pushes himself out of block range, he can whiff a st. LK, then UOH while the stones are out to hop back into attacking range.

With non EX stones out, there is a way to deal decent damage that isn’t from chip, and really keeps the opponent on the edge (which I covered in the video linked above); UOH, cr MKxxx command grab. This really makes your opponent not want to just block low the whole time because this easy combo causes a lot of damage and an untechable knockdown.

Usually for pressure, Oro uses far LK, close LK, cr LK, and UOH during Tengu since they are fast.

Another little note about regular Tengu is that I prefer it as a raw activation over EX very much in the Urien and Chun-Li match up. Urien doesn’t really have fast reversals he can sneak in between attacks in case you mess up your timing, or the set of stones messes you up, so Oro can often times get max damage off of non-EX Tengu here. Against Chun, EX stones out of combo tend to be bad because most sets of stones do not allow Oro to activate, then UOH linked to MP for juggles, so I just go for chip and try to get her to burn meter for EX legs to make Oro go weeeeeeeeeee across the screen.

EX SAIII (5 stones): EX stones is the one that grants Oro his big combos. In the corner, all Oro has to do is continually roundhouse until the timer runs out, then combo into his bnb chicken dance to build back some meter. Mid screen there are a couple combos most Oro players use:

(Assuming the opponent is in air either from jumping or after being launched) jump HK, land, juggle w/ cl MK, repeat. If the opponent seems like the next jump HK is going to get hit too far away, use toward MP in place of jump HK. Just try it a few times in trianing mode to get the ranges down. It’s kind of hard to describe because his combos are all stone specific and there are 3125 combinations of stones.

The other mid screen juggle is roundhouse, toward MP, roundhouse, toward MP… Same thing where if the next roundhouse is going to miss, use a toward MP instead like the other mid screen juggle. I recommend this one for shotos, since sometimes the land, cl MK causes them to start being juggled in the wrong direction based on how close to them Oro is. But really, just use whichever combo you are comfortable with. Both of these combos work on the whole case.

If you do choose to or are forced to use EX Tengu Stones you of combo, you CAN lead to a big Oro juggle. Use UOH linked to cl MP to put the opponent in a juggle state, or use Oro’s cr HK to start a juggle, then usually do one jab before the roundhouse for timing purposes; the start up of jab is much faster, so characters that fall quickly will not drop to the ground very often if the first attack is a jab. Again, this timing may be odd at first, so you gotta spend two quarters when no one else is at the arcade to get dat training in… Or are you playing on 3so? What!!!

Tics:
Close LK is a great move for tic throws since it has a 2 frame start up, frame advantage, and is only parrable high. Close LP has better frame advantage, but it is parryable either high or low.

Gimmicks:

Kara-specials:

MATCH-UP ANALYSIS

(This is going to take a lot of feed back from other players as well as my own time to write each match up :slight_smile: )

Currently, I only have analysis posted for Ken, Urien, Gouki, and Dudley.

Chun-Li

Spoiler

He has a 100% combo vs Chun Li with Tengu Stones. Learn that. Counter poke her with st HK when she does stuff with big recovery. Stay out of THE CHUN ZONE or you will die cuz she’ll punch you. St HK whiffs vs crouching Chun, so I tend to favor st MK.

Yun

Spoiler

The only thing I can say vs Yun is like… if you can react to dive kick set ups, you can air grab him before he kicks, since most players get ready to air parry or air to air, but Oro can parry + throw. Neutral jump HK (as always) is a good move if you want to hit with the tip of Oro’s foot. I think vs Yun you wanna stand in range to counter poke his meter building, since Oro can heavily damage him with st MK, which makes him have to resort to stuff like cr MKxxx lunge punch or shoulder, which are punishable on block, and a blue parry on block respectively. Block when he turns on his glow sticks, because if you don’t, he’ll kill you. He can cross you up with dive kicks too, so try to spot those. Use SAIII, since he tends to go under fireballs with shoulder, or go over them with dive kicks. He is really hard to unblockable with SAII as well, so I really like SAIII vs him.

Ken

Spoiler

By Red Venom:
Hard for Oro to do anything once Ken has meter. Its like mini-Chun. You can outpoke Ken when he has no meter pretty easily but since standing too far inside his c.mk and c.hk range creates too many options for Ken(in addition to those moves stand hk/mk, s.mp xx super, UOH, lp/lk into dash). I think walking up to ken and mixing between throwing a fireball or kara-fireball, walking forward and hitting c.mk and counterhitting with s.mk while you establish position and attempt to get him near the corner is a good way to start a match. If he jumps be ready to walk under or jump up/back and hit hk. When you have meter its time to get ken cornered and use EX Tengu! This will really where you get the bulk of your damage. Like many Oro matchups he can be losing quite a bit and get 1 knockdown to set it up and the other player despite their best efforts will lose 30-50% pretty easily.[/details]

Makoto

Spoiler

Here’s a general tip vs Makoto: Block. A lot of people are afraid only of her command grab, so they try to just jump around, but she really has a lot of tools that will stun and kill you pretty quickly. Makoto might pick SAI or SAII in this match up, I think slightly more will choose SAI, since SAII is weird to connect vs Oro, since she’ll fly over his head sometimes cuz he’s so short. If she’s on SAI, watch out for UOH linked into super, since it can connect from any distance vs crouching Oro. Oro can use SAII or SAIII vs Makoto. SAII has unblockable loops, and SAIII make for great meaties vs her bad wake up options. SAII also allows you to use more EX moves, among which EX fireball is particularly useful. I like to use it to “lock her down” in a sense after knock downs, or when she’s full screen away with no meter (since EX dash punch will bast into you before the ball comes out). Read the Dudley section for how to utilize SAII/EX fireball for zoning.

Against Makoto, you don’t wanna let her set the pace of the match. Be patient, and block a lot. You have to learn to react to her grab set ups so that you can jump out of them, hit her out of it if it’s a slow set up, or EX Oni Yanma through it (invincible start up). I like to try to set the pace as Oro’s game by just counter poking, and throwing out stuff like cr MK, st MK, st LK if she’s close, and sometimes st MP. These moves can hit her out of dash punches and feel like good counter pokes to stuff she might throw out (like cr MK, and toward HP without the follow up). As always, st HK is a great counter poke, and so is command grab or kara command grab, since they do massive stun damage. Her stun gauge reduces quickly, so keep the pressure on if you have momentum (this doesn’t mean be stupid). Also use fireballs to control space. After you throw a few jab fireballs, you can throw a MP or HP one for her to jump into and die. Just keep forcing her out of her command grab range and she won’t be too dangerous most of the time (especially if she’s on SAI). Remember that a blocked LP, MP, or HP Hayate (dash punch) is very unsafe on block. Oro can punish with HK, command grab, kara grab, or even walk up cl MKxxxcommand grab, or walk up cl MPxxx mad combo skillz depending on the strength she used. EX hayate is +2 on block, so don’t try to punish it, or dash into her and get eaten up by the dreaded Karakusa (command grab), or attempt to do towards jump HK for combos, since she can meet you with jump HP, anti-air with EX fukiage (her DP) into big stun and damaging combos, or simply parry and karakusa when Oro lands since she’s at an advantage. She gets pushed away a lot if EX hayate is blocked, so just wait and see what she does.

You will need to get near her for combos eventually, and she’ll get on top of you cuz that’s what she does. You’ll be jumping out of commad grab set ups, so you need to know how to meet her in the air. Air to air is always a bit tricky to describe, so I’m only gonna talk about it briefly. Oro stands a good chance if he is above her, since her jump HK is really laggy, although it’s damaging and will slap you into the corner. So if you jump first, hit her before she can do anything by using neutral jump HK, directional jump HK, or one of your air resets like jump LK if you are close to her when the air-to-air is going to occur. This sets up for dash under ambiguity, which can lead to MPs. When you jump out of a proper karakusa set up, Oro doesn’t have time to jump or directional HK (which is normally how he leads to big damage). She recovers in time to parry that. Instead, you need to punish with neutral jump MP because he angles his fingers down towards her. It’s much more preferable to back dash out of mid-screen karakusa set ups, since Oro can HK or command grab her, or some times even back dash out, she whiffs, then dash up MP for big combos.

Remember to stick to your game plan; block, be confusing with Oro’s movement and double jump, punish her, and learn the Karakusa set ups.

Dudley

Spoiler

Yang

Spoiler

cool I guess

Gouki/Akuma

Spoiler

By Red Venom:
Maybe one of Oro’s better matchups vs a character who is considered strong. Unlike Ken trying to high-parry a lot doesn’t yield as well for Akuma and any mistake hurts both his health and stun greatly, as well as his super being less likely to be ready at any given time, especially important in the first round. Since Akuma also has the lowest health many tricks start to become very high value as the failure rate is usually far outweighed by the potential damage done. HK Tatsus can be countered easily by holding down charge and just hitting up+lp as akuma is crossing over you. Divekick and random air tatsus become bait for big punish as well(Parry, close mp xx EX Tengu). Trying to not get cornered and avoid excessive damage when you get knocked down from Akumas good mixup game is really important. Stay crouched as long as you can when Akuma goes up into the air to give yourself time to react to what he does and avoid his demonflip grab, if you see an empty HK demonflip after a knockdown its nearly 100% akuma is going for a crossup.

Urien

[details=Spoiler]Maybe it’s just that the only Urien players I’ve fought are really good, but I think Oro has a difficult time using his normal strategies to deal damage to Urien. Many of his normals that I like to use frequently in most match-ups, like st. MK, st. HK, and cr MK, do not seem to fit in when I fight Urien because his normals have a very long range, forcing Oro to use some of his moves with a lot of recovery, like cr. MP. It seems like Urien would have a bit of a tough time using miscellaneous headbutt setups with Oro’s height and dash causing him to fly well over Oro’s head, but if the player knows the match-up, they won’t be throwing out random headbutts anyway. Oro is also lacking a big punish for blocked tackles, even when fully metered. Don’t forget to buffer towards parries once in a while to catch those tackles! I think Oro’s strength in this match-up lies (as I said before) in abusing his short height, getting out of range of Urien’s normals and whiffing moves that his random tackles will run into (cr. MK), and play VERY patiently. Urien will probably have a tough time dealing with Oro’s close moves like the dreaded MP or cl LK, but it can be hard to get that close to him. My biggest advice would be to BE PATIENT, and wait for your moment :slight_smile:

Both supers are viable, but I recommend SAIII because it destroys Aegis quickly, while SAII bounces off the Aegis. However, Urien is fairly easy to juggle, he can be crossed up by Oro in the corner, and has that large, easy-to-cross-up hitbox, making SAII not a bad choice.

Ryu

Spoiler

a 5-5 matchup

Hugo

Spoiler

weird matchup

Elena

Spoiler

Elena.

Ibuki

Spoiler

The Japanese say this is a 7-3 in Ibuki’s favor, but I have no idea why. She bleeds.

Necro

Spoiler

2 freaks goin’ at it

Alex

Spoiler

often considered Oro’s best match up

Remy

Spoiler

Vs Remy I like to try to trade and counter hit Remy with st HK, since he is at 99% stun in 3 [maybe 4] hits, then I want to make him die. You can react to his high LOVs and dash under them to murder him if you’re like 3/4ths screen away or less. Watch out for EX Flash Kick on wake up, his kara grab, and the cold blue kick, cuz he can use those tolls to catch Oro while he’s dashing around like a psycho. I think SAII and SAIII are viable vs him. SAIII kills him in one easy combo, and SAII/EX fireballs can eat up his fireballs, and he’s tall, so it’s hard for him to avoid blocking the orbs I believe.

Q

Spoiler

oh god stun juggles lol

Twelve

Spoiler

Where are you playing that has a Twelve player?

Sean

Spoiler

10-0 in Sean’s favor. Sean can link basketball into Hadou Burst kill you. He has the best set of normals in the game and he is fast as shit. Don’t fuck with Sean if you want to win at 3s. In fact, if you do come across a Sean player, leave the arcade and never come back b/c Sean players don’t lose. Just move to a different country and grow a mustache (if you are a girl and can’t grow a mustache, I suggest dying your hair blue or some crazy ass color and have a couple kids so your body type changes a lot.) This is the only way to win the Sean match-up.

(Reserved) If I need more space than this, I will die.

Thoughts on Oro weaknesses -

Oro has no significant damage potential from outside of point blank range and no invincible/fast cancelling move without holding a down charge, this makes him incredibly susceptible to players attempting very often to parry so they can confirm something big. In addition all of his long range pokes can be parried high except his sweep which does minimal damage/stun. Another issue is Oro’s s.hp, one of his overheads is among the slowest in the game. Nearly 300ms not including any time you spent standing before hitting the button, makes reaction to this fairly trivial.

Some matchup thoughts -

Oro vs Ken
Hard for Oro to do anything once Ken has meter. Its like mini-Chun. You can outpoke Ken when he has no meter pretty easily but since standing too far inside his c.mk and c.hk range creates too many options for Ken(in addition to those moves stand hk/mk, s.mp xx super, UOH, lp/lk into dash). I think walking up to ken and mixing between throwing a fireball or kara-fireball, walking forward and hitting c.mk and counterhitting with s.mk while you establish position and attempt to get him near the corner is a good way to start a match. If he jumps be ready to walk under or jump up/back and hit hk. When you have meter its time to get ken cornered and use EX Tengu! This will really where you get the bulk of your damage. Like many Oro matchups he can be losing quite a bit and get 1 knockdown to set it up and the other player despite their best efforts will lose 30-50% pretty easily.

Oro vs Akuma
Maybe one of Oro’s better matchups vs a character who is considered strong. Unlike Ken trying to high-parry a lot doesn’t yield as well for Akuma and any mistake hurts both his health and stun greatly, as well as his super being less likely to be ready at any given time, especially important in the first round. Since Akuma also has the lowest health many tricks start to become very high value as the failure rate is usually far outweighed by the potential damage done. HK Tatsus can be countered easily by holding down charge and just hitting up+lp as akuma is crossing over you. Divekick and random air tatsus become bait for big punish as well(Parry, close mp xx EX Tengu). Trying to not get cornered and avoid excessive damage when you get knocked down from Akumas good mixup game is really important. Stay crouched as long as you can when Akuma goes up into the air to give yourself time to react to what he does and avoid his demonflip grab, if you see an empty HK demonflip after a knockdown its nearly 100% akuma is going for a crossup.

Don’t most people just say the # of frames? Hahaha.

Thanks a ton for contributing! I think I’m done for the night. If you (or anyone else) add anything while I’m gone, I’ll mix it in to the guide when I come back!

Why choose Oro?

“You can also see his penis for one frame during his sweep o.o” (This could be a reason not to choose Oro.)

guess i’ll be the first noob to post in here. can’t wait to use oro and be frustrated in the future. he seems fun.

Oro can be fun, if you like to play technical characters. It’s kind of unfortunate that his worst matchup just so happens to be Chun(and also Elena…Yun and Ken aren’t as bad imo), but he can still be very rewarding to play. He’s a fine mix of a lot of things…that and the fucker is short so he can get away with dodging way more stuff than most other characters. >:( lol

This Jwanggg know nothin’ about Oro. He’s a pro troller. I own him free up in Doylestown!

On a serious note, I hope someone post a match-up for Yang because he keeps owning me for free up in Doylestown. =[

I watched the two Long Island tourneys on your YT. Tinshi mentioned that Ken’s c.HP destroys all of Oro’s pokes. Could you also go over character specific anti airs, character specific pokes, character specific combos and see if you can do cross up MK to s.MP. I did a jump in with MK at Dudleys knees and hit with only one hit of the s.MP. I will continue to putz around and see if there is something wrong that I am doing or if it is character specific. I tend to practice against Duds and Alex as you mentioned that is the best to do.

Ken c.hp hitbox beats a lot of pokes but really its a slow move with kind of big recovery, not hard to counter poke it.

Point taken. I also was wondering about Oro’s best air to airs as it seems I get beat out in the air. Jumping HK seems to be your best bet (must be timed well). Neutral jump HP and MP are effective. The active frames of the j.LK are great and the hurt box on Oro’s j.LK seems to be real far back of the knee (no damage but a win in the air). I wonder if any air to airs are character specific?

As a rule in 3rd Strike, I wouldn’t really say there’s a best poke for “x.” Be it air to air, wiff punishing, or whatever. Some pokes tend to be better than others, but things are really spacing specific in this game. Like… you wouldn’t just say “Oro’s best ground poke is HK. It’s fast and will stun the shit out of you.” There has to be a lot of variation.

Neutral HK has good range. I tend to use it on the way up to throw people off. Angled jump HP is good at a closer range since it hits twice and can be confusing. Neutral jump MP is good for punishing ground moves, like Karakusa, that you jump over, because of the downward angle.

jwangggg made it onto TheShend!

You always think “man. I hope I end up on theshend someday.” Then it happens and you’re like “not like this… not like this.”

Still waiting for more updates and videos!

Is this a useful video? Updates coming soon. I have been pondering how to re-organize the more complicated sections, like combos, since I don’t like how they are right now.

[media=youtube]wyB-78Sdmf4[/media]

Good grief.