Comp in Okinawa, Japan?

He destroyed our souls… T.Hawk shenannigans…

LOL well I’ve played HDR quite a bit more than the other fighters recently, and T.Hawk is a bastard. Whenever you guys are down for more matches of anything, especially HDR and SSFIV once it hits, just let me know and we’ll make it happen. GGS yesterday!

Little over two weeks and we’ll be getting it on til the break of dawn when SSFIV comes out.

We should take leave for the rest of that week :lol:

I’ve been trying to find info online about the SFIV tournaments they used to hold @ Foster…with no luck. I first heard about them on the radio; it was at their club, down below in the diner area. The reason I’m bringing this up is because we should definitely help define a scene out here and encourage people to get in and see what it’s about. To do that, we’re going to have to be able to advertise and organize, of course!

Venues should be easy enough to secure; for consoles, there are plenty of options with use of base facilities, so long as we can get them secured in advance. Equipment-wise, we have all of the systems and controllers covered, really, and even some TVs we can bring. (Hell, we’ll be able to record match vids soon too, yay!) Another nice thing about playing on base is the chance to get “sponsored” by the Club or something; there’s probably money or prizes to be had if we know where to look, along with the usual entry pool splits.

The question is, where to begin the search? The Community Center would be a good start, possibly the hobby shops…

I know there used to be a video game swap on Saturdays at the Schilling… Jesse played in a tourney in the Med Group so there’s definitely a lot of other Americans that play.

maybe when ssf4 drops we should post something on japanupdate.

gullivers is the shit. been goin there like everyday. ranking battles last night for sf4. got scraped.
wednesdays from 18 til 21 is 300yen free play for sf4. mondays from 18 til 21 300yen free play
for cvs2, marvel and 3s

going again tonight around 5 or 6.

Jizzon: i wanna hdr lesson

Are you off tonight? I’ve been hitting the practice mode in HDR.

I work nights, so anytime during the day before 1400 works for me. Next week I’ll be on days though, so maybe I can make it out to Gulliver’s.

Dude, listing just came out for assignments and I could be getting stationed at Travis. I might see you back stateside Jesse.

Time for one of the originals to post I guess. I was in Oki from 2k1-2k8, so I dunno how many other things have changed.

There are basically 3 “regions” for Oki players, the furthest north arcade that gets regular players is Gulliver behind Kadena, the furthest south is Naha(a few out there). You guys in the northern camps, don’t bother looking for anything up there, there is NOTHING. I have searched for 2 of those 7 years, so save the gas and go south.

North
First, Re: Hitech Sega Chatan Plaza(the one on the 58)
This closed last August, and all of the community there moved to
Club Sega in American Village(behind Jusco). This is pretty much the hub for Tekken for the northern section of the (arcade inhabited)island, and has been one of 2 consistent SBO qual spots(the other being Game in Naha 1/2). IIRC this year they also have SF4 quals. This arcade has the most people that actually remember me. lol

Dragon Palace
Has misc FGs, but is notable in having most racing games and was(when I left) one of the last places in Oki to have the Deluxe F-Zero AX cabs. They have long since erased my records off of there if they still have it. =/

Gulliver
If you get there before midnight, they will let you hang out till they close which depending on who’s working and how many are around can be as late as 4AM…lol Good for you gold carders/non-Marines. They should have SF4/T6/VF5 and a selection of old school 2D games.

Yumekuukan
There’s an old busted up building on the opposite corner of the 58 from Foster, the one with that bar on the top whose name eludes me atm. On the first floor is an arcade which is pretty much like the Okinawa ver of CF without the amazing players. You can go here if you have nothing better to do around Foster and wanna get some random games in, their selection is pretty random. IF it still exists.

Central
Amusement Space Eagle andEagle 2
These arcades are over by Kinser, Eagle 2 is right off the 58 by Kinser Gate 1(walking distance for anyone down there). Eagle 1 is a little further north, as you’re heading back towards Futenma. The exact way to get there is to go north from Kinser Gate 3 on the 58, you’ll pass by the 58 Bypass(there’s a huge AnW on the right). You’ll see a forked path before you continue going off to the left and up the hill to Futenma, you take the right at this overpass(kinda hard to miss, it’s the only major road over there), and head uphill for a bit. Once the hill levels out you’ll see a Pachislot joint, and right after that you’ll see Eagle 1 on the right. Both of these arcades are on the small side, but have solid KOF, T6 and VF players. Eagle 2 is the meeting place for the central area players. These are pretty much the only 2 arcades in that area. Just like the big gap between Club Sega/Gulliver/etc and Eagle, Eagle 2 is the last thing you’ll see worth going into until Naha.

South
Game In Naha/ GIN 2
GIN is easy to miss if you’re not looking, but it’s on Kokusai Street dead center in one of the busiest areas of central Naha. Once you find that, then walk about 2-3 blocks further down and you’ll find another arcade which I never got the chance to translate the name of. The other GIN is supposedly a block or so south from the first one, but I’ve never found it. It’s pretty buried in the area back there.

Game In Naha is more often than not the Okinawa Qual(final qual) for SBO. They usually have the latest games, several T6/VF machines, and whatever is hot. They are usually VERY busy because of the location. Do NOT expect to get parking nearby.

This isn’t a complete list, and I’m just going off of 2 year old memories. Hopefully you guys have JP cellphones and some knowledge of the language, you should be able to find the other arcades using the GPSs that should be built into most models nowadays.

Re: MCCS support/local on base community building
You guys have it WAY easier than we did, since SF4 came out. But basically you get with the club managers and SMP managers, tell them what you’d like to do, and they should have no problems with you using the facilities. Army-side it should be easier, but I dunno and StridaJin is in Afghan sooooo

Just print out fliers and see who you snag up. I met 2 great players that way, one dude was basically offering his XBox(old one) to anyone that could beat him in 3S.

Good luck guys, and by all means try to talk to the locals. The regulars back at Club Sega are all cool dudes, and will try to talk to you given the chance. Some even know pretty good English! Hell, almost everyone is chill as fuck, I’ve hung out, drank and played casuals with these guys for years. Don’t get stuck thinking you have to stick to the Americans.

I didn’t know you were here on Oki until 08. I got here in 06. Anyway, I checked out the American Village SEGA and wasn’t impressed. We just go to Gullivers now. I was kind of angry when I came back from Afghanistan and SEGA was closed, but I guess it turned out for the better since I didn’t know about Gullivers and it has a better selection of fighting games than the old SEGA (minus ST)

Do you know where JOYBOX is on Okinawa? I played BR against this female local and her card read JOYBOX. I couldn’t get much more than it wasn’t the one in Tokyo and that there is one on island

saotome kaneda: thanks for posting some good info.

ive been to both eagle1/2 but 99.9% of players are there for tekken and vf.

ive also been to one of the game in naha. not sure if it was 1or2 but it was not actually on kokusai st. its like on the next block. but def. game in naha. at the time they had sf4, 3s, st, vf and tekken. that shits far. gullivers is 2awesome.

lets go to gullivers… anyone wanna go tonight call me or post up

SBO quals - Gulliver’s, July 10th. Be there. I just want to see the players it attracts.

http://www.tougeki.com/schedule?week_id=&game_id=sf4&area_id=&block_id=F-2

Schedule here. You can translate with google… but to sum it up

10 July - Gullivers
11 July - Game in Naha 2
18 July - Chatan SEGA

Disclaimer: I am a Tekken player, so all of my exp was primarily Tekken scene-based.

The only prob with Gulliver back when Hitech was around, is that not many ppl went to Gulliver until later in the night. But yes, most of the smaller arcades tend to have a larger selection of FGs. There are 3 little spots off of Koza 4 Corners(one is to the west, closer to Gate 2 on Gate 2 Street, the other is north on the 329, maybe a block down, and another even further, maybe 3 blocks when it starts to go downhill again) that are similar, but Gulliver is the best one concerning overall skill.

Club Sega is horribly mismanaged when it comes to FGs, and I’m still pissed that Hitech closed. Then again, Hitech didn’t have all the fucking card games, horse racers, and purikura to support it like Club Sega did so it was a matter of time…

I’ll get back to you on JOYBOX. I remember finding it once. I remember it being north of Kokusai Street though, as I had to go there for a Tougeki qual back in '05.

No prob, I wish I was still there. lol Like my disclaimer says, I’m a 3d FGer, so yeah, my impressions are towards those games.

That was GIN2. That one is way the fuck off the main street, not really worth it for where it is.

Hey team, great games this weekend. Gulliver kicks so much ass!

I went to the BX last night; they confirmed that they will be receiving plenty of 360 and PS3 copies of SSFIV on the 27th :woot:

YES ggs to everyone this weekend.

also, sf4 ranbat mon, tue, thu and fri this week starting at 8pm i believe

Jizzon: call in sick its ok

:wasted:

Oh shit. I guess I don’t need to buy a Japanese copy…

I’ll be on days next week, just in time for SSFIV and some ranbats. Have a feeling we’ll all be seeing a lot more of each other soon :wgrin:

kinkey, I vaguely remember you calling me earlier about HDR; haha sorry if I was out of it (was riding at about three hours of sleep at that point). Anytime you can give me at least a day in advance, I’m down man.

SSFIV matches tomorrow… you game?