Coming from Street Fighter? Not sure the difference between SF / BB?

Well, there is a big difference between doing ‘a combo’ and doing a ‘good combo’. A combo can just be a few buttons mashed that does low damage and gets teched out of. A good (planned/known/practiced) combo can do a lot of damage, won’t get teched, and will end predictably (e.g. in a knockdown/advantage).

I’m sorry, i’m a bit ignorant on this, could you explain it for me? I dont have a stick so any combos that included jab or short hits were almost impossible for me. It’s very frustrating to continously lose simply because i cannot do this.

Very excited about BB though, got to play it early on Saturday and i was surprised to see that i could easily make up my own combos with just a few quick attacks followed by 1 or 2 strong ones.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=186686

yes you are :coffee:

Blazblue on a controller will never, ever work.

I don’t get where everyone gets that stick > pad. I’ve been doing just fine using pad and I’m a Viper player, not to mention a semi-regular GG player. I’d even argue some things are easier on a pad than stick.

Is it because everyone goes for the D-pad instead of the analog stick or something? That’s the only thing I can think of.

You can definitely button mash in this game and get something to come out at times. I’ve hit combos that I never meant to hit by mashing, but will you beat a more experienced and more skillful player by mashing? Hell no. You can mash and get a little 4 hit combo that does no damage, but the experienced player will hit you with a 20 hit combo for a 1/3 of your life.

When should I be using throws? In SF I used them whenever my opponent was recovering and/or kara throw situations.

BB has some good kara throws so use them in range.

Most other times when you think they dont expect it…throws are pretty easy to break.

I know a few people who would whoop your ass with a pad lol.:tdown:

comments like that are just straight ignant…

I’ve played street fighter 2 since it came out back in the day and this is no street fighter. button mashing will not work, maybe some characters like Noel where I’ve pulled out a 20hit just be hitting D, but it’s not going to work all the time. You need to know what hits links into each other, and you have to know about spacing, when to jump, when to dash, just to extend your combo. This game is real deep, and you will need to take time to become very good.

This…I only ever played GG for a month or so and decided to try BB. Button mashing just doesn’t work at all. I played a few online matches and one of them clearly was not a button masher because I got beat up like a volleyed tennis ball at Wimbledon. :nunchuck:

After reading through a little, i was hoping the game be a little more difficult with things. How would someone compare this to Melty Blood? cause i know melty blood puts mind games to the max.

How far are players separated skill wise in this game so far? I know in SF4 there are alot of people who play the same and would group them all in the same skill level. In melty blood people play very differently and skill level always vary . So what about this game? I know it just came out but the start of release matters. Example in sf4, soul calibur, sf 2 HD turbo remix i’ve always had the upper edge and most people all played the same and were very predictable. In melty blood there were some people i could beat and some i couldn’t (though i was introduce to the net play pretty late)

You know how you can safely mash throw tech in SF4?

Forget it, now and forever.

If you attempt to tech twice, prior to the opponent throwing, you are penalized and can’t tech.

However, the tech window is 8 frames (or that’s what people keep yelling at me) and there is a “!” indicator when you are being thrown. When throws are comboed into, you have 22 frames and a “! !” symbol to tell you to tech.

Throwing has to be deliberate in BB because of this, but as to specifics as to when? It’s character dependent. Most throws are the result of landing a solid mix-up, not as a matter or course or to break turtling (the techs are too easy). This works out too, because a landed throw is an opportunity for fast and easy damage combos.

Not necessarily. D isn’t even an attack for some characters, though it does help strengthen their other attacks (Rachel can use her D to push herself along with the opponent using 5CDC, 6CD j.C, etc.)

And just because a combo is long doesn’t mean it is strong. Noel’s 6C with drive activated hits like 10 times, but doesn’t do any more damage than other attacks, plus it is extremely punishable. It just links nicely into her command throw, which can be followed up with her 22C to continue the combo.

so far it seems like its going to take a while for people to get use to this game. They are really slow sometimes. I can just do the same thing enough times, but they still don’t get it. I am happy what they did with the throw tech. Not no SF4 noob stuff.

To me the hardest change from SF4 to this is by far the air game. Airdashing, air guard, everyone has specials in the air, and dash to jump goes so fast… that’s a different type of gameplay from SF4.

i still dont get why people compare this to SF4 when sf4 is soo SLOW compared to this.
its totally different!
its like a tiger and a lion! they are two completely different beasts but both are cats!

either way both games are awesome in their own way.
i like BB for the complexity and fast paced GGXX style fighting, and sf4 for classic fighting game strategy i loved in SF2 but with 3s sprinkled a little bit on top.( sans the sagat shenannigans)

info

learned a lot =D

Now, Blaz Blue adds additional concepts to traditional Guilty Gear game play. While Guilty Gear focused more on guaranteed okizeme situations, where the opponent has to deal with your attacks, **Blaz Blue gives you 4 ways of getting off the ground. **They have varying risks, but prevent the type of knockdown -> generic block attack -> mix-up game play that is prevalent in Guilty Gear. With a strong understanding of your risks, and the rewards, you can escape okizeme situations.

what are the 4 ways of getting off the ground?