Coming from Street Fighter? Not sure the difference between SF / BB?

Silly you. Abare is converting a random hit to big damage or Attacking whilst at a disadvantage. It’s not very similar to hit confirms.

1 Like

Very helpful I never got into gg because learning it was a bit overwhelming but thanks to this forum having threads like these I can get serious about BB:rock:

Yeah oki means wakeup, abare is a little bit of a strange translation though. The verb abareru (turned into the noun abare) means to riot or to be violent, which makes more sense in the VF context, but w/e. Basically it’s “violence,” but our conception of that word doesn’t always match up. You can see where it comes from though.

I am, however, against the use of Japanese words to sound cool.

Yeah, I find it funny when some people use it and it just doesn’t sound right, lol.

It’s been used in the way I described for many years in the Guilty Gear community. It is a terrible translation, but it works for describing what it needs to.

Yeah I mean at this point obviously it’s common vernacular in the GG community, VF too, so it’s basically what you have to use. I’ve just been mad at this shit ever since I read sirlin’s article on “yomi.” For those of you who don’t know, yomi (another common FG term), means “reading” in japanese. However, he started talking about it like “there’s a special skill the Japanese possess that they use to predict your every move, and they call it…YOMI!” It’s that kind of bullshit that people need to cut out.

1 Like

considering that the games that we play are made in japan, its not a surprise that we end using terms that they use, oki, yomi, abare, kara…

i dont see it as big deal

I asked in the similar thread in the Fighting Games sub-forum but that seems to be a joke thread that is in danger of closing so I’ll re-ask here: how difficult to execute are things like Carl’s Clap loop in comparison to things like Fuerte’s RSF and Viper’s FFF?

easier then rsf

dunno what fff is. Facebook Friends Forever?

hah sadly not, fierce feint fierce

fierce feint fierce is easy, shrug

I’m just going to say that FFF is about the upper level of BB’s combo difficulty.

The Advance Input feature is going to make things cozy for people. SF4 is all 1-frame links, and there’s a glitch to turn the 1-frame window in to a 2-frame window. BB on the other hand, combos aren’t entirely link-based and whatever less than 5-frame links there might be are essentially become a 5-frame link due to the built in feature.

The hard part of BB’s combos isn’t doing them, but seeing when you have the positioning to do them.

Not going to lie, that’s one of the things I’m most looking forward to in this game. Call me a scrub if you will

that’s not scrubbish at all. If anything all SFIV’s combo system does is add unneeded difficulty to a combo. They basically made you sit in training mode for 10 extra minutes for the same result. :sweat:

What games like BB and GG do is make it make the game more about player vs. player.

There are many one frame links in Blazblue…Noel’s Throw-cancel into C loop comes to mind.

This game is not for beginners. There’s no easy shortcuts, and with the exception of Ragna and maybe Noel, the learning curve is high for all the characters.

Be prepared to be in training mode for a good few weeks before you start racking up victories. Also, dustloop is a much better source for BB info.

It’s a fun game. Personally I find it a lot like Marvel (haven’t ever touched GG).

Are there really one frame links in Blazblue? Do you have any frame data to back up that claim? I kind of doubt it but I can’t say cause I don’t have it yet. I think the closest thing GG got to one frame links were FRC’s and even those weren’t TOO bad. Besides, even if there are, 4r5 just said that they are accomplished pretty easily.

Well, yes and no. There are really strict links, however, you can hold in a button and it will it repeat that input for 5 frames. So a 1 frame link is actually a 5 frame link.

GG has plenty of 1-frame links. Nearly every FRC is a 2-frame window.

From how robot-like (or perhaps life-less?) you had to be to consistently do SF4 combos (before the discovery of plinking) to how consistently normal people could pull off FRC’s with just a little practice; you can see how much just a difference of 1 frame widens the accessibility of the combo.

Now imagine a 5-frame window. Combos shouldn’t be a problem for anyone. The only really hard links left are the ones that require multiple actions to link two attack. I think Ragna has a few links that require you to land then do a dashing jump, or something.

I’m going to be picking this game up later this week, but since I’ve heard of it, I have always been worried about it being a “button masher” game. Is this true? My love for Street Fighter and Tekken comes from the overwhelming simplicity in the control scheme and the move control. Sure you can button mash in those games, but it wont get you far with an experienced player.

What worries me with BlazBlue is that is seems once you get a combo started, you simply keep hitting buttons without a sense of precise combo control. Am I way off base? I’m not trying to downplay the game. Everyone seems to be raving about it and I’m quite excited to try it out. This has just been a genuine concern of mine.

It is much easier to mash out a simple combo in BB than it is in SF, definitely. But as 4r5 said earlier, the difficulty isn’t executing the more complicated combos, it’s executing them at the right time with the right amount of space :tup:

I would not call it a button masher at all. Trust me, it’s deep.

Brominated, you might want to consider renting it. IMO the game controls feel nothing like SF or Tekken so you might be disappointed if that’s what you enjoy.