Cody USF4 General Discussion

Apparently he got walk-speed and backdash buffed, heard from a reliable source but we’ll just have to cross our fingers and wait.

Back walk or forward walk? or both?

I am a little disappointed that they didn’t fix things that needed to be fixed, but I can’t expect this character, or any character, to be perfect.

Walk Speed + Back Dash + Crack Kick = Happy Ramma. The other stuff is just a bonus at this point.

You can’t expect every character to be perfect. However when specific bugs are documented clearly, with video explanations on how to replicate these bugs as well as what is causing them is provided AND these issues are fairly easy fixes (as is the case with every single one of the bugs EXCEPT his Super Dropping) and all of that is handed to when you specifically requested then yes you can expect them to be fixed. I can’t expect them to fix shit they didn’t know was there to begin with (like if I find something new in USF4 I’ll be like “Ok that kind of sucks that they missed this. Hope they fix it in next version.”) but this shit with them not fixing charging, or U2 or badspray or tons of other issues most likely I’m rightfully pissed off because I did all the work for them short of actually sending them a fixed .bac and .bcm file which they wouldn’t have accepted anyway.

If you need me, I’ll be in the angry dome.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kvwzjrB9Cj1qzw8ioo1_250.gif

What’s wrong with bad spray exactly?

From a face up knockdown bad spray has 20F more recovery than from a face up knockdown. That is why the move is -20F on block usually yet in SFxT it is +1F on block. It’s also why Cody just sits there for a good like time after he does badspray and often lets the opponent land behind him and do a full combo if it whiffed.

You can see the difference here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsxk2kBbQ4Y

Starting at 3:37

In Alpha 3 it had 20F of recovery (in SF4 it has 29F) and I believe in A3 that made it safe or relatively safe on block though it had a high total frame count. It also was able to be delayed and had invincibility depending on when during the rising animation you performed the badspray you could actually make it invincible until active.

Keep in mind A3 recovery was longer for many things. Example: Cody’s badstone was 28F recovery (now 16-20F) and Ryu’s Hadoken was 45F recovery (now 31F)

I bet if you look hard enough you’ll find loads of similar problems with other characters because… Capcom.

Which Cody players are going to the location tests, i unfortunately can’t go at all, just too far away.
However maybe setting up a list of things to test for the players who will go, though i guess every location test will be the same build as the japanese one anyway.
And if you need to pay a outrageous price like 1 dollar a game, well you should spend the game how you want them.

If cody’s slide is only -2 at point blank range on block, doesn’t that mean a properly spaced slide can potentially be positive and maybe lead to frame traps?

That aside I’m pleased with what I’m hearing so far. There’s probably some other details that people haven’t spotted anyway.

I doubt EX Criminal upper will get any invincibility buffs (nor should it)… that would change him from a character with a mediocre wake-up game to a character with one of the scrubbiest wake-ups there is. They’d need to make EX tornado a lot easier to punish if they were gonna give it more invincibility.

Airborne crack kick seems like it would be really good against grapplers too. If you guess wrong you’d likely just get hit out the the air instead of comboed.

it’s -11. How much more punishable do you need something to be?
You spend a bar for a one sided, widely open, easily dodge able reversal. You’re way overselling that buff. All it gives, is a viable option to use in the right time. It’s a fair trade off. As it stands, EX CU has almost no reason to exist, other than for throw shenanigans and it’s start up speed for a bit more damage after a juggle.

Sounds great so far.
Do we know if you can combo after Zonk FADC ?

EX CU has its uses. Like as an OS

Kim1234 said zonk fadc u1 is possible

a

mr optomistic :smiley:
#trollface

Kim1234 said EX Zonk FADC u1 is still possible. Didn’t mention regular zonk

See

Just got it confirmed. Cody CAN NOT combo after a regular zonk - FADC

I should be going to the loc test next week at Super Arcade, anyone want me to test anything specifically?

Check how much of a speed boost he got, supposedly his walk speed is faster. Is it a noticeable amount? Is it around the same as Ken or Ryu now? Is it just forward or just backward or both?

Check if they fixed his crouching knife attacks to actually be crouching attacks instead of standing (easiest way to test this would be Cody vs Sagat and have Sagat throw a high tiger shot, if you get hit out of the startup of any of the crouching knife attacks they didn’t fix it.)

Check if Cody’s B+MP still cannot be counterhit on startup

See if they made it so that Cody can confirm crLK - crLK (either made it chainable or made it +3F on hit.) or can chain crLK to a LP like Cammy has to do now

Check if LP Criminal Upper is any safer (Easiest would be Cody vs Dudley, have Cody do LP CU at closest range while Dudley crouch blocks and have Dudley do a reversal Jet Upper. If LP or MP Jet upper hits cody when performed as a reversal then it is still -5F on block. If it it’s blockable try EX Jet Upper which is 4F and then try HP Jet Upper which is 3F startup to figure out how much safer it is. Though I doubt it’s any safer.)

See if EX Criminal Upper has any more invincibility (This one could be hard to test, easiest would probably be just try to see if the opponent can stuff it before the hit comes out. Maybe have them knock you down then do EX CU on reversal while they do a meaty DP or have Ibuki use crMP which has 7F active frames that would probably stuff it.)

Check if Cody can special cancel any of his knife attacks.

Check if Cody’s crMK has more hit/blockstun or if it seems like they just reduced the recovery frames. Also see if you can space it to combo out of it with crLK

See if Cody’s HK Ruffian is any better (faster/better hitbox/actually invincible SOMETHING.)

Lastly, request Cody get back his Vism Dodge from Alpha 3 and that his hopkick be made to hit crouching opponents (perhaps at reduced damage or something.) since he is the ONLY character whose hop kick whiffs entirely vs crouching opponents

-Zonk FADC follow ups.
-Spaced c.MK => c.LK (or even c.lp, c.mp etc)
-cl.HP, c.HP (maybe they took an inspiration of SFxT :p)
-If you can f.HK over a downed opponent (‘corpse hop’) and if it hits crouchers
-See if EX Ruffian goes through fireballs earlier
-Max range U2 => dust hit, pipe can be blocked.

lol you’re obsessed with vism dodge!

I agree with zukuu - even if EX CU got full invincibility it’d still be easily baited/avoided with neutral jump > full combo.

I believe that his dodge would seriously put all of the pieces of his character design together perfectly. Plus it’s a very interesting mechanic that forces people to fight him different than other characters just like you have to fight Sim or Guile or Gief very different than most characters.

I talked to someone who was at the test in Japan, they checked and Cody CAN NOT followup a regular Zonk FADC with anything. Also since they didn’t fix the U2 air hit thing I believe it is unchanged. Also it was confirmed that Cody’s F+HK is airborne on the first frame so it should be able to corpse hop, however it was also confirmed it still doesn’t hit crouching opponents :frowning:

Zonk FADC must be one of the most pointless buffs ever if he can’t follow it up. Even making a blocked zonk safe(ish?) is hardly ever going to come up in actual matches.

I agree. the buff is completely useless if there are no juggle properties, because the only reason you should ever really use zonk is on fireball reaction.

However, if the zonk FADC puts you at like +3 or something, then it’s not a bad get in tool if you’re desperate…but I highly doubt that’s the case.

Considering we got a walk speed buff, a possible back dash buff, a better footsie tool in cr. MK and airborne crack kick though, I can’t say I’ll lose any sleep if zonk FADC is useless.

Ultra 2 got nerfed from 506 to 466.