Clocks, how do they w0rk? Strider Hiryu Discussion thread

If this isn’t okay with mods for any reason, I will delete immediately. I just assumed since I saw other character threads. Get talking about everyone’s favourite ninja here! At least until the character sub forums appear. I will update as info comes in. Please note that UMVC3 is still in development and any information in this post is subject to change.

Strider Section of the UMVC3 Bible

UMVC3 reveal trailer

Character Trailer

Strider Hiryu VS Ghost Rider

Move list:

normals

Spoiler

Normals

Standing :l:
[LIST]
[]Damage = 35,000
[
]Meter gain = 290
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 4
[
]Active frames = 2
[]Recovery frames = 11
[
]Frame advantage on hit = 0
[*]Frame advantage on block = -2
[/LIST]
Notes: short range. Chains into :l:attacks

Standing :m:
[LIST]
[]Damage = 48,000
[
]Meter gain = 384
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 6
[
]Active frames = 3
[]Recovery frames = 15
[
[]Frame advantage on block = -2
[/LIST]
Standing :h:
[LIST]
[
]Damage = 60,000
[]Meter gain = 480
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[
]Start up frames = 9
[]Active frames = 4
[
]Recovery frames = 23
[]Frame advantage on hit = -4
[
]Frame advantage on block = -6
[/LIST]
Standing :s:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 65,000
[
]Meter gain = 520
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 9
[
]Active frames = 4
[]Recovery frames = 29
[
[*]Frame advantage on block = -12
[/LIST]
notes - launcher. Not special/hyper cancelable

Crouching :l:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 33,000
[
]Meter gain = 264
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 5
[
]Active frames = 2
[]Recovery frames = 11
[
[/LIST]
notes - hits low. Can be chained into :l:attacks

Crouching :m:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 50,000
[
]Meter gain = 400
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 8
[
]Active frames = 3
[]Recovery frames = 15
[
[/LIST]
notes - hits low

Crouching :h:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 60,000
[
]Meter gain = 480
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 10
[
]Active frames = 3
[]Recovery frames = 26
[
[*]Frame advantage on block = -6
[/LIST]
notes - causes knockdown. Hits low.

Air :l:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 40,000
[
]Meter gain = 320
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 5
[
]Active frames = 3
[]Recovery frames = 15
[
]Frame advantage on hit = +11
[*]Frame advantage on block = +9
[/LIST]
notes - hits overhead.

Air :m:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 50,000
[
]Meter gain = 400
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 7
[
]Active frames = 3
[]Recovery frames = 21
[
]Frame advantage on hit = +16
[*]Frame advantage on block = +14
[/LIST]
notes - hits overhead

Air :h:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 60,000
[
]Meter gain = 480
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 9
[
]Active frames = 4
[]Recovery frames = 23
[
]Frame advantage on hit = +18
[*]Frame advantage on block = +16
[/LIST]
notes - hits overhead.

Air :s:

[LIST]
[]Damage = 63,000
[
]Meter gain = 504
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 10
[
]Active frames = 3
[]Recovery frames = 26
[
]Frame advantage on hit = +14
[*]Frame advantage on block = +12
[/LIST]
notes - causes hard knockdown if used in launcher combo. Hits overhead.

:f:+:h:
[LIST]
[]Damage = 63,000
[
]Meter gain = 504
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Start up frames = 10
[
]Active frames = 4
[]Recovery frames = 22
[
]Frame advantage on hit = -3
[]Frame advantage on block = -5
[/LIST]
:df:+:h:
[LIST]
[
]Damage = 55,000
[]Meter gain = 440
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[
]Start up frames = 9
[]Active frames = 10
[
]Recovery frames = 22
[]Frame advantage on hit = 0
[
]Frame advantage on block = -11
[/LIST]
notes - knocks down. OTG-capable.

Specials

Ame-no-Murakamo - :qcf::l:/:m:/:h:: Strider executes a dashing slash attack. Distance covered is dependant on button strength ( :l: covers the least, :h: covers the most). Causes groundbounce which also varies depending on strength. Cancelable into Formation B.

Excalibur - :qcf::l:/:m:/:h: (air): A multi hitting aerial dash attack. :l: sends Strider directly downwards. So far it seems this move is valuable in combos as it pushes the opponent closer to the ground for a ground series to relaunch. :m: sends Strider horizontally across the screen. There is some recovery, but unlike in MVC2 Strider is able to attack on the way down. Because Strider is no longer in recovery until he touches the ground, this move can be used as a psuedo-air dash to get in on opponents. :h: Sends Strider skywards. Strider really pierces the heavens here, so this could be used as a means of escaping some hypers such as Hail Storm.

Gram - :dp::l:/:m:/:h:: Strider uses the full reach of his cypher to slash the opponent from across the screen. As with Ame-no-Murakamo, the distance varies depending on button strength. :l: is comboable and it seems possible to follow up with an OTG. :h: has monstrous reach. It covers 90% of the screen and causes wall bounce on hit. This is compensated with slow start up. Cancelable into Formation B.

Vajra - :rdp::l:/:m:/:h:: Strider’s teleport. Tracks in the air. :l: places you in front of the opponent, while :m: puts you behind. :h: causes Strider to execute a homing teleport kick (formerly known as Formation A).

Formation A1 - :qcb::l:: A projectile where Strider summons a robo-tiger which charges along the ground. Start up and recovery is good enough to keep up a nice stream of helpers. Some of the lowest durability in the game means you won’t be outzoning keepaway characters, but it does a nice job of covering your approach in certain matchups. Think of it like adding one hit of super armour to your dashes. Can be used in conjunction with the OTG slide after a hard knockdown.

Formation A2 - :qcb: :m:: Another robotic helper projectile. Whereas the tiger moves along the ground, the hawk moves along the air. The hawk’s arc is less pronounced than in MVC2 and its trajectory is more linear. When used in conjunction with the tiger, Strider can zone pretty well against certain cast members. Works as a nice AA too.

Formation B - :qcb::s:: Strider summons his robotic helper. Inputting this command once causes Hiryu to summon the drone, twice causes him to fire it. The satellite shot now hits OTG making it very useful in combos and is excellent in pressure strings.

Formation C - :qcb::h:: AKA WWII Bomb. The hawk comes in carrying in one of those bombs from the airship level of Strider. Not seen much of this so far, so we’ll have to wait for more info.

Wall cling - :qcf::s:: Like the Satellite, this move used to be useless. In fact it was worse. This move was the single biggest cause of death for Strider players. It was only activated by accident and was pretty much a death sentence. However, thankfully its new command means you’re less likely to go into it by accident. It also looks… actually kinda awesome. Strider will cling to the adjacent wall and tapping :s: makes him to switch from wall to wall allowing for crossups in conjunction with satellite shot and Ouroboros, which he can combo out of with :l:, :m:, :h: etc. :h: causes Strider to perform a divekick which yields groundbounce on hit.

Hypers

Legion - :qcf::2p: (level one): Strider calls an entire Cyber-Zoo of robo-animals to charge at the opponent. Now has a purpose as a combo ender due to its OTG properties. However it might be worth looking for meterless enders and resets to save meter for level 3’s.

Ouroboros - :qcb::2p: (level three): A utility hyper where Strider summons his infamous dual satellites. These passively fire projectiles leaving Strider free to mount his offensive. Let’s face it, we were never getting a move this powerful for one meter, so the pay off for total lockdown is now three meters. Orbs now remain active longer and move faster keeping the opponent locked down in blockstun and at the mercy of your mix ups.

Ragnarok - :dp: :2p: (level three): Strider charges at the opponent and triple teams them with his shadow clones. Start up is invincible so it can function as a heavy punisher as well as a powerful combo ender. Does massive damage, so if you only have one character left to kill Ragnarok is definitely worth the meter for that stylish coup de grace.

Assists

**Vajra **- The :h: divekick version. Has all the properties of the point version. Hard knockdown on air hit makes this an excellent homing AA assist that can convert into big damage. An absolutely amazing assist.

**Gram **- Once again, the :h: variant with the sexy wall bounce and range. Big comboability, but Vajra yields similar results with hard knockdown as well as HOMING. Strider is also vulnerable longer than with Vajra.

**Ame-no-Murakamo **- Erm… He needed a third assist?

Big thanks to Confucious for the write up!

Hey, i was the one who was supposed to make the first Strider thread. Damn it!! Just kidding, it’s cool…

Anyway, a thread such as this is something i’ve hoped and cried for. During the pre-release of Vanilla MVC3, it was rather depressing to check in the new news thread and see no Strider announcements, additionally seeing new character threads yet no Strider ones. It was a sad time in my nerd-gaming life. But now i finally see a Strider thread! WOHOO!

I’m thinking of Strider/GhostRider/Dormammu at the moment. It could change depending on virgil, and i sometimes have thoughts of Spiderman, Zero, Ryu and X-23. We’ll see. Strider/GhostRider/Dormammu sounds really cool to me at the moment, i’ll try to make a team image on photoshop after i’m done taking my gf out and getting some work of today out.

My problem with strider is his Health, i don’t know if it’s equal to Zero’s, or 50 pts below Zeros. I would like us to request for capcom to increase striders health just to Wolverines at the least, does anybody agree.

I’m not too worried about Strider’s health. Strider was a major risk to use due to his health before but he was covered (literally) by Ouroboros. The only thing I’m worried about is his ability to protect himself (straight up defense) without having 3 hyper combo bars ready. Anyone who really worked with Strider should be comfortable with the nerf bat on his life bar. He’d already been bleeding since the transition from MvC1 to MvC2.

Already he looks like the Yun of UMvC3; huge buffs to all his specials from MvC2 and now it seems that he can do keepaway better than Magneto. Giving him Wolverine health would make him more broken than Dark Phoenix.

Strider in MvC2 needed orbs because he was underpowered without it. The way I see it, he’s so powerful in this game he’ll probably kill everyone before he gets 3 bars.

Nah, i think Strider will still fair with just wolvie health. It’s not too much. :smiley:

The only way I see this remaining possible is if they leave him with his MvC1 damage output.

Anyone know if he still has his slide?

He does have his slide…we need more gameplay of him

He does.One of the streams i saw had him doing that.

Sadlt, Floe is the only one i saw use strider well. The rest of the streams seemed to have a bunch of guys who just played for the hell of it.

This is what i’m planning to role with

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=52ad24b48b&view=att&th=1315a8ca7545733b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gqhjtkop0&zw

Spent the whole day at SDCC playing, I’m gonna just try to write down my notes as fast possible so I don’t forget. But heres my thoughts on Strider…

Got in about 30-40 matches of a team consisting of Strider/Dante/Akuma. In terms of overall feel, he’s fast with the damage output of MVC1 Strider. As of now, his lockdown is all not nearly as strong from MVC2, as Ourbouros is easily stuffed. More on Ourbouros later.

Specials…

QCF+P-> various buttons cause certain ranges on this slash, cause a ground bounce. I didn’t work on getting into a combo, was working mostly on his relaunch.

QCB+A-> Is the Tiger, works just like MVC2 Tiger. Has a fast recovery and can generally cover your teleports.

QCB+B->Is the bird/hawk ? Flies a lot straighter as opposed to the MVC2 bird that arched kind of down then up.

QCB+C->The bomb. Doesn’t go full screen, about mid to 3/4. Recovery is still kind of bad.

(SRK)F,D,DF+P-> His Excalibur slash? Different buttons give you different ranges, which cause wall bounce (Only ever hit with the C version). The C version is awesome, not great startup but covers 90% of the screen.

Teleports…

This is where it got interesting and a disappointing at the same time.

(Reverse SRK)B,D,DB+A-> Teleports you in front of opponent (tracks if opponent is in the air).

(Reverse SRK)B,D,DB+B-> Teleports you in back of opponent (tracks if opponent is in the air).

Disappointing part of the teleports is that he has some recovery now out of it.

(Reverse SRK)B,D,DB+C-> His telport kick. I found this to be extremely good. The hit stun is not that great, so the follow up to a ground chain has to be quick.

QCF+S-> I never thought I’d say this, but his wall cling is kind of good now. It will always attach you to the adjacent wall. From there if you keep hitting S, you will keep flying from wall to wall. Hitting A, I think causes him to kick down, which causes a ground bounce. Hitting B while on the wall, causes a slash (looked useless). I never tried to hit C on the wall unfortunately. Bad thing is that he is vulnerable when flying from wall to wall, a Haggar just jumped up and threw me out mid wall switch.

QCB+S-> Calls his satellite, calling it again causes it to fire it. Great projectile and can OTG. Relaunch combo can be done with this in the corner on the first OTG. He has enough time to call the satellite, fire it, then S.

Slide (DF+C)? I think that’s the input. Anyways, stumbled upon it finding that there was no way I was getting OTG’s from air throws (He has an amazing air throw btw, was teleporting and air throwing a lot). I tried the slide plus assist, and it picked him up off the air throw. Works a lot like Wolverine’s slide.

Ourbouros…

I was chatting with Seth in the lobby about the how its a lvl3 now, and how it doesn’t even build meter or chip. He was kind of sympathetic and we discussed the possibilities of it being a lvl2 or or perhaps let him built meter at least if its a lvl3. He said they are still working on it and I really hope they are. I used the Ourbouros lvl3 everytime I could today, and as of now I feel its an expensive resource in terms of 3 bars. Pushblocking the rings completely pushes Strider out now due to the new advancing guard. The only hope I see for it is an unblockable setup with perhaps Wesker/Felicia ?

Well regardless, he was awesome to play today. If you guys have questions I’ll see what I can remember.

inb4 people complaining about strider becoming as “cheap” as wesker.

Nice title.

Strider isn’t really my style, but he’s really cool to watch and I can’t wait to see other people play as him at tournaments.

Haha RoboMitsu called this thread when MvC3 first announced.

How does it feel to finally make this thread?

For Ouroboros, it looked like the satellites themselves don’t hit from what I could see.
And the recovery on calling them out (I saw Clock I think do Doom Photon Array DHC into Ouroboros and Magneto’s gravity squeeze happened after Photon Array and grab Strider.
But when Ouroboros got going, it looked rather hard to block and the constant resets from teleporting and diving around made quick work of whoever was out there.

You get Strider now on to the next complaint, he needs more health.

SRK strikes again.

Robo you took the first thread! lol

What worries me a little bit is Strider’s combo potential. People on stream are having a lot of trouble OTGing with the Rocket and continuing the combo (note that this is after a very short and basic ABC combo).

Ouroboros look deadly with XF, almost guaranteeing a character kill. In MVC2, you got much less from mix-ups during orbs, but in here it looks like you can get more thanks to XF. Also heard I think Clock said that Strider can instant overhead with j.:l: so that will help with the mix ups. I also think the satellites don’t have hit-boxes anymore.

Assists are looking nice at the moment. Type-a causes ground bounce and has great range and Type-y can track the opponent (and maybe ground bounce too, dunno).

Good he also got a rapid-fire c.:l: for pressure.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the SDCC build (maybe more) will be at Evo as well so we’ll all have a lot of time to test him out. Hopefully, people are giving information about him as people are rotating in.

On Cl0ckworks twitter he posted some things about Strider. I’ll quote a few things.

There was some mentioning that j.L is his instant overhead instead of j.H. In combination with Oroboros it’s really dirty and can lead into dead characters quickly. He also said that if you tag out with Oroboros he doesn’t get them when called as an assist and they also disappear when he’s tagged back in.

I saw on the live stream someone do Gravity Squeeze while Cl0ck DHC’d from Doom to Strider orbs and there’s enough recovery on the orbs that he got by Gravity Squeeze. When he recovered from the Squeeze the orbs were gone. :frowning:

Overall, there’s a lot to experiment with his specials since they have a bunch of additional properties to him giving him lots of combo potential.

Vajira seems to be his best assist because it tracks the opponent even if they super jump and can get around projectile spam. Probably be used to extend combos if you have a character that can self OTG, which happens to work in Doom’s favor.

There’s a few things I want to test with the Satellite. I want to know how much start up and recovery the shot has and if it hits raw can you combo off of it. It just seems like Zero’s charged buster shot to me so I want to see if it has similar applications to keep pressure on your opponent. Strider seems like he really needs that assist that can create that mix up or either lets him get in. Sent drons, Akuma tatsu, or Ammy Coldstar seem ideal at the moment. I saw some dirty tricks using off the wall and akuma tatsu but not sure if combo follow ups are possible. I’m assuming if you were closer to the corner you could do the wall kick for the ground bounce into launch, etc… Also, with teleports having recovery to them that assist coverage is really necessary probably could get two pronged coverage with animal projectile+assist then teleport, otherwise it’s begging to get air thrown into death.

Also, I was mentioning in the UMvC3 official thread that Strider placement is going to be interesting depending on how his play style develops. He seems like the absolute beast starting with 2 assists to help cover his approach and extend his combos but if you want to Oroboros (and if Oroboros is as deadly as some people think it is) then it’s better to have him 2nd with a good battery starting. Cl0ck was using this type of strategy and had Doom on point and it looked like it was working fairly well since Doom combo’s and improved zoning game easily built 2-3 bars. I want to see if you can do down tag exchange, first hit, L Gram, OTG Satellite xx Oroboros/Ragnarok. If Hit Stun scaling kicks in they’ll flip out of the OTG satellite and you’re hopefully at positional advantage at that point into a mix up with Oroboros.

Strider does bleed a lot faster then other characters seemed like he was in the 700k-750k range. It didn’t bother me that much since every one can pretty much ToD in one combo anyways but he’s more susceptible to dying from random supers, especially as an assist. You can’t afford many mistakes with him so your game play has to be tight with him.

In terms of Oroboros I think it would have been overpowered in MvC3 if it was a Level 1 that built meter even if the timer was drastically reduced. Too easy to hit multiple resets into another Oroboros for just constant safe pressure. However, Level 3 with no meter build seems excessive I think for a costly super that may or may not kill anyone it should at least build meter. Personally, I would like to see one of the following changes be made to Oroboros:

1. Level 1 - No meter gain, drastically reduced active time
  2. Level 2 - Meter gain, slight reduction to active time
  3. Level 3 - Meter gain capabilities
  4. Level 3 - Stays the same as is but gets tacked onto him when called as an assit. (might be overpowered in combination with Vajira)

does anybody have a vid of Clock playing Strider at SDCC?

Cisco, I think you can look at this guys account http://www.twitch.tv/marquezsf/videos. He recorded the whole stream including other Capcom games if interested in any.

thanks.

@Killey, next time you chat with sven. Tell him to put strider’s health at the 800’s at the least. :D… i mean, we still are waiting for Virgil and Nova. 800 seems fair given that Strider has a high learning curve.

I can understand that but I feel if he gained meter it would be way too cheap. Not that it would be seen all that frequently, but what I’m thinking will happen is people will put Strider as the anchor or 2nd, have point character gain 5 bars. Swap in Strider, use cheerios, do some crazy mixup combos then get 1 more bar and hit another cherrios as soon as the first ends into an extended combo with instant kill capabilities. In the current build strider took more than 50% life from Haggar with 1 combo from the ourbouros. I would like to see this balanced in a way that we see Strider using it more frequently however. Not sure how though, as much as I love the guy i was never any good with him.