Chun Li General Thread: Blue Jade

Oh I’m pretty sure a forward throw which scores a hard knock down, Kikouken xx V-trigger should be pretty safe activation on opponents wake up
I was messing around with Omega Chun yesterday with SF5 in mind, I definitely see the ‘testing ground’ now.

Based on some of the footage we’ve been watching, forward throw does not do a hard knockdown as people seem to be able to quickly get up after it. It seems that the only hard knockdowns in the game are off supers.

EDIT: You can see it at 1:28 here, the second throw she does on Ryu, Ryu gets up almost immediately.
https://youtu.be/nDMSrhdDbEw#t=1:28

Hmm…from this:

http://cdn-static.gamekult.com/gamekult-com/images/photos/30/50/37/53/ME3050375359_2.jpg

to this:

https://scontent-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11063586_10153447936507147_1762191958203784244_n.jpg?oh=19742752fc2a1d44e49f18377e7bf544&oe=56045471

She looked prettier in the initial SF5-reveal. Please change her face back.

I like her new look. She appears more asian facially now. Her old one just looks like generic cute white or hispanic girl.

She also looks slightly more mature/older, bucking the trend of characters looking like they all in their early 20s.

Yeah well, they could have made her look asian and beautiful. :wink:

Just how we know her from SF2, SFA and SF3.

Honestly if she has an overhead worth a damn or her throw game is on point she will be strong with v trigger activating those additional hits will be more grey health damage. She’s the one i’m most interested in currently unless C. Viper magically makes it in.

she looks nice and milfy now

She’s had that boring rapid-kicking super art for literally generations, I think it’s about time she should do something different. They ought to bring back her super art from MvC, Shisei something something or whatever it’s called, the name in Chinese or Japanese characters is 七星閃空腳 where she sends a flying kick to the opponent in mid air and it deals only 1 hit, the words then appear on screen à la Akuma’s raging demon. I think it fits well with her SFV iteration taking into consideration her various aerial combos as well as her ability to use different jump arcs.

Well that quick get up by Ryu definitely makes for some conflicting evidence.
Move list and notes posted by IGN and Sony who played the game say:

• Back dash is throw invincible, but vulnerable to hits.
• Throws have a longer wiff animation, no crouch teching.
• Only throws and critical arts deal hard knockdown, with an exception to Ryu’s back throw.

Video above certainly says otherwise. I have a strong disdain for conflicting information…

Why do they keep making Chun Li shorter? In SF2 she was 5’8", now she is 5’5"?!?

Ultradavid E3 notes, Chun-Li impressions start at page 8 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lO2n8cGufRTvQGYcFEAVCUhKJximN0x0wdLCdb4ksuo/preview?sle=true&pli=1

Side note - FF7 YOO!

Those Notes too are laid out similar to how I do them, lol, I’ll probably just copy and past his and fill in stuff as it comes.

Interesting stuff I saw in general and for Chun:

• V-Reversal as invincible, but Chun’s seems kinda weak in retrospect to some other characters. Perhaps we can V-Reversal into Critical Art?
    *No plinking
  • What causes hard knock downs? Throws and Critical Arts. And Sweeps on counter hit (To confirm).** Not sweeps on counterhit. Not throws, not sweeps**.
    *Are there taunts? Yes motion confirmed being PPP+KKK (SIX buttons for Taunts? LOL! Sadly they don’t do anything other than ‘look cool’)
    *What are the properties of the “Senjou Shuu” like move ? No idea what that is. It’s the substitude for Hazanshu (supposedly)
    Down Toward MK is the command
    (So I wonder what is her go to Overhead move, because this one looks really weak so far)
  • chun st mp is the best karathrow among these characters for sure.
  • Does her air target combo still cause juggle state? Jump hp hp is still there but seems to air reset
    *Air Throw still in, Thought about Air Throw, Meaty Kikouken into V-trigger activation
    *Legs are not safe on block (this is not good news)

Sounds like it’s like 3S where only supers cause HKD (there were a few exceptions, but very few).

God knows why taunts are 6 buttons but I’ll take it lol. It’s not like they have any gameplay use like 3S.

Like I figured, df+MK is her Alpha Hazanshu with a different name and turned into a command normal.

Legs not being safe on block isn’t surprising. It looks like its mostly just for adding damage in combos now. Her V Trigger looks like it’ll give her plenty of pressure options and I’m sure she’ll have other stuff that’s plus or generally used to give her advantage.

Her V Skill is basically a KOF forward small jump with an attack attached to it so that’ll be your go to move for overheads and possible cross ups.

From Dave’s notes and vides we can tell her V-Skill does not have invincibility. We’ll have to be smart with it usage. I wonder if it is hit confirmable?
Due to its angel trajectory attempting to go over fireballs is too risky. Best to use Cr. Mp to slide under it, Use Kikouken, Neutral Jump or if they throw it at an unsafe range punish hard.

I think the idea of the V Skill is to use it for pressure and mix ups like a KOF small jump. Not necessarily for fireball evasion. Basically anytime Chun is near you you’re going to have to worry about overheads. The initial knee attack from the V skill doesn’t hit overhead but once she’s on top of you its overhead and cross up city it seems.

Chun Li has the best walk speed in the game so good SF fundamentals should get you around projectiles one way or another.

Man, I’m loving what I’m reading here. This looks really good.
Legs being unsafe is a relatively minor detail. In V-trigger you can probably confirm into them with 2/3-hit normals anyways. And her V-trigger pressure looks scary, especially since she apparently does increased chip in trigger-mode.

I’m 95% sure Chun’ll at least be my secondary in SFV now. She looks really, really fun to play.

Uhh… she hasn’t had Houyokusen since 3rd Strike. IV had her Alpha/2X super (Senrestukyaku) and a new one (Housenka).

Houyokusen is great, not just because of Evo Moment 37, but because of the setup out of it. You can jump cancel (super jump cancel in 3S) out of it to extend your combo. Heck, thanks to giving a hard knockdown, you could reset back into it in 3S for 80% damage.

Lol that Evo Moment 37 was humilliating for a Chun fan.

She had it in MvC3 as well.

It doesn’t seem to be JC in this game anymore compared to earlier builds, or at least I haven’t seen anyone do it since the older builds.

One piece of information that was wrong. You CAN link after Normal Lightning Legs. s.HP xx LL, c.LP xx SBK was a Punish of choice during the 3v3.