Chris matchup thread

Since you guys seem lacking in the sensical matchup perspective and on the whole most of that advice is goddamned useless I’ll post something up when I have time. (Tomorrow)

But as a note: Whatever fool thinks Dormammu v Chris is bad for Dormammu clearly has NO IDEA what Dormammu can do. Or that Magneto can get outzoned etc. You guys have got to be misunderstanding every character in the game.

Never shoot magnum at a good taskmaster more than twice. Otherwise he will kill you off of it with 214C.

Note: Matchup analysis doesn’t cover assists. Just assume there is 1 character left on both teams no x factor.

Matchups seen often:

Dante: Pretty much free pressure for Dante at midscreen since Chris doesn’t have an answer for stinger harass. (Dante can just repeatedly Stinger BM 214L) If Dante is fullscreen he may be baiting a gun to teleport behind it and start a combo so gunfire is out of the option. Landmine is generally useless here since Dante can just airdash over it and crossup with j.H Hammer for easy double overhead/instant pressure that is safe on block. Dante’s normals are about twice the range of Chris’s with the exception of Chris’s 5H so poking is generally going to get you combo’d.

Of course random teleports and jumping at Chris will result in an airthrow.

The main thing Chris can do to Dante is to stay in the air above dante. You can risk getting airthrown but the combo afterwards is generally so weak it will do meaningless damage. Jumping outside of Dante’s 5M range and doing j.M~236L is a good tactic to force Dante to commit to a jump from which you can attempt to airthrow. If Chris can stay airborne and out of Dante’s range he has a slightly better chance at coming out on top in the matchup.

Dante controls so much space it is ridiculously tough to fight. Also he very well can one shot you if he lands the right starter.

Wesker: Wesker flat out refuses to be zoned until he is knocked down (Projectile Counter isn’t fast enough to counter meaty bullets) Staying just outside of teleport range is where Chris wants to be in case Wesker decides he wants to be impatient and just does gun - teleport. From there it is a free punish with whatever you want since it is generally unsafe.

Wesker simply wants to get inside and frame rape Chris to death with mind numbing 2M 5H 2M 5H S 2L 2M 5H S 2L…etc etc. There’s no pokes Chris can do to get out. There’s no super he can do to get out. Just a well timed pushblock and jump back M to try and get out of pressure. Be very cautious of command grab. Free 400 for Wesker everytime you get grabbed. Potentially more depending on his meter.

Landmine is a good zoning tool as it will force Wesker to wait it out (Shoot him then) or teleport up (Airthrow, flamethrower, c.M anti air) If Wesker is running away shooting the gun then you have simple options to stop him from doing that. If it is a constant stream of superjump 3H~H then as he jumps dash forward and shoot a magnum. If he constantly shoots it from a standing position just duck and wait for him to advance.

Unfortunately, Wesker with a health lead is the worst. You have no overheads or command grabs that force Wesker to make a decision. He will simply just wait it out, continually chip you with handguns, and then when you get close and you need to push a button he might just superjump teleport away or he can just counter you. It’s simply a matter of forcing Wesker to make a mistake at this point.

Wesker controls this matchup handily.

Magneto: Zoning is dead. L Disrupter will beat out the startup of any projectile move you have. The best thing you can do is wait for him to superjump and lay down a landmine and a grenade or two. If it’s a trijump, you generally can just 2M most of his jump ins outside of j.L. If Magneto does Magnetic Blast before commiting to a jump in (Which I believe all Magneto’s should do since it is safe chip damage+blockstun) then you are forced to block the simple mixup.

Superjumping and shooting guns is generally bad in this matchup as Magneto can either Squeeze, Shockwave, or wavedash under you and airthrow your recovery. Or you know, super jump along with you and disrupter your face in. Going on the offense is your only hope in this matchup since Magneto’s defensive options are lacking (Health too) Though Chris is generally easy to block, just like Magneto you can combo off throw. Remember when all blockstrings fail, throws are just as good. Also you run the risk of getting anti aired when jumping with 5L or just launch.

It’s definitely not a good matchup but one combo should generally put enough hurt on Magneto that he will be in panic mode.

to be continued

Question: does anyone else have trouble with taking on she-hulk+tron assist? It feels like every move I have comes out too slow when she can insta slide me from across the map.

Second Question: I’ve heard it said that Chris needs a “get off me” assist. How much would you say this is accurate (is it essential in some matchups?). If it is essential or highly recommended, has anyone had good experience with assists outside of the obvious haggar/tron/hsein ones?

Shulk with Tron assist means that you are forced into a mixup upon teching an airthrow. And you can set up less oki setups on Shulk after a combo IE: Landmine will get blown up by Tron and so will you.

Keep distance and stay away. Shulk has problems dealing with landmine. Don’t jump at her because Tron will come out and or you will get thrown. Dealing with Tron assist is another issue altogether. Since Chris can’t low profile that well during his normals punishing Tron becomes excruciatingly hard without another hard counter assist IE Felicia Haggar Tron Hsien-Ko. Best bet is just to backdash grenade launcher super. It’ll freeze tron and if you get the 2nd shot off Shulk may have to drop a punishing combo in order to avoid getting hit by it. You should do a good amount of damage to tron though if at least 2 grenades hit.

Chris with a ‘GET OFF ME’ assist is much better than normal yes. Haggar Tron Hsien-Ko all work well with Chris when he’s under pressure and all of them give him time to setup mines/grenades/chip/combos off of them. There’s isn’t much Chris can do without assists so yes, a get off me assist is good, but not required. I’ve been hobbling along just fine without using assists (Mainly due to the fact I use assists for combo assistance) but there’s no doubt that a Haggar/Tron would greatly improve Chris on point.

2 matchups.

Dormammu: Dormammu is one of the most problematic matches for Chris because simply there is nothing Chris can do if the Dormammu has good reactions. c.M and s.M beat all gunfire moves from air or ground and can be canceled into Dark Hole Chaotic Flame for 30% of Chris’s life everytime he points a gun at him. Fire Carpet keeps Chris from rushing in and landmines/grenades can be eaten up by laying a Fire Carpet/Purification/Destruction on top.

Dormammu also has 3 ridiculously fast teleports per jump which makes Chris paranoid. You can go jumping fishing for an airthrow as he recovers like I do if he starts doing this, because landmines won’t work anymore, flamethrower may get crossed up, and crouching gets you hit anyway. Since it’s character relevant spacing on the teleports jumping back and trying to throw is the best option Chris will have at this point. Since if they did a crossup teleport you’ll throw them, if any other teleport you just whiff the knife in the air and he can’t punish because he’s too busy saying “BEWARE” You own 0 ground, the only saving grace is that Grenade Launcher hyper will beat Chaotic Flame. Stalking Flare will eat the first grenade and then you’re going to get smothered by it as you try to hit it with the 3rd. You just have to block when Stalking Flare is out.

Dormammu has quick mixups, teleports, and much superior zoning tools that not only zone, but effectively counter Chris’s style of zoning entirely.

Taskmaster: Magnum is dead to you. Magnum should never be fired in this matchup. With the slow startup of magnum Task can easily 214C your bullet, shoot you anyway, force a wallbounce, and then land a highly damaging combo that will kill you since he started with an extra 100+ damage. If at midrange, if he sees buttons he can just dash 4H and Shield Skills will blow right through anything and hit you. If in the corner, XFactor infinite coming right up. Close range is also a nightmare. Taskmaster’s normals are faster than Dante’s which means playing footsies with him is stupid. Taking to the air against Taskmaster is also laughably weak. You don’t have Cable’s j.HP. Task has j.236A though. And if it hits “You’re in for a world of hurt”

Taskmaster does ridiculous damage off of a low (Around 1mil last I was able to recreate) and even more damage off of a jump in so it gets really frustrating having to block all the time or know that you will die if you get hit. Swordmaster should always be pushblocked so I should never ever see people get hit by it. Arrows are so much better at zoning since they control much more space than any of your guns. Taskmaster only gets stronger as the days go by and Chris simply has little answer to a safe taskmaster other than attempting random supers or punches. Remember, Taskmaster’s 4H is the best normal in the game for a reason. IT WILL BEAT EVERYTHING. Respect it a lot. And try to punish when appropriate.

Pushblock the move before Mighty Swing and airthrow him. That’s all I can say about good things that can beat Taskmaster.

To be continued.

So what the hell does everyone do here against Magneto?

Basically I try and anticipate a dash in and call in jam session and when he gets close I use the flamethrower to try and stop his high /low shenanigans. If he is trying to out zone me I do a lot of SJ Magnum shots because Magneto can’t take too many of those.

But yea, this matchup is ridiculously frustrating. I honeslty think the best thing to do is to not stop jumping because you can at least take away the high/low 50/50 tri jumps BS that he does (although now you have to watch out for air throws).

I’ve been doing almost the exact same thing as you against Magneto. Just jump like it’s a Mario game with guns. It’s a pretty annoying matchup from the few fights I’ve had against him so far, but it is the only way I’ve thought of so far. I’ve got very little time under my belt with Chris though so far…take that for whatever it’s worth.

I use the flame thrower as well when they get close, but sometimes I’m not 100% confident on it since I don’t know all it’s properties yet.

Kei

Its really good against Tri Dash whores at a certain range (like mid rangeish) because if they try and tri dash (like magneto) then it will stuff them and if they try to fly over it to the other side you still have time to recover.

If they are too close then they can fly over you and punish or hit you out of it before it starts up. When they get closer I feel the mine is more optimal.

Besides that you said it very well. Super mario all day with that beefy magnum.

As far as Magneto, you are right about the Gravity Cheese combo. However, if you fight a mag with the fly-unfly a.HP to LP you can actually grab him out of a.HP.

I do it all the time. Let them get into the groove of doing cr. L to fly a.H, and then push block his second set of cr. L to fly a.H, and grab him before he can even get the a.H out. Then after that do the usual, cr.H xfc S. to air combo = dead magneto

Edit:

Dorm is an easy match up for me, virtually anything Dorm does Chris can stop. His yoga castraophy (whatever it’s called) the ice grenade from the grenade launcher cancels it out. If you do grenade launcher super, then dorm does his chaotic flame, chris will get hit once, and he’s free to move after it while Dorm is still doing chaotic flame. At that point, I just dash, air magnum to air combo for nice damage, or a ground magnum to satellite laser

You just covered his supers. How does Chris deal with everything else Dorm has?

have you guys forgotten about normal jumping pistol, it’s on of the best anti zoning tools in the game. it pretty much stuffs all of dorms moves on startup. it’s really fast and safe if done late in the jump, just don’t become too predictable with it. the same goes for his ground gun moves they’re really good as long as your at the right range and aren’t too predictable in abusing them. standing magnum will also punish dorms chaotic flame on block.

Ditto on this. jump back/forward is good as heck on Dorm.

big emphasis on the bold part.

Honestly, most Dorm’s I fight try to play keep away, and they usually will try to do the pillar and try to chip Chris to death, so I’ll pretty much either get in close and jump shotgun, and every now and again I’ll do jump magnum. There’s so much hit stun on the shot gun, and if they push block the shot gun (after a few rep’s) then I’ll throw in a jump magnum to screw up timing.

If they manage to get Chris away from them, then I just s.jump magnum and hope for the knock down. Once I get the knock down I cover ground, and mix it up with grabs or flame thrower

The only big worry that I have is random flame carpets. I had one Dorm get smart, he would push block j. Shotgun, and I would s.J magnum, he would dash in, and place a flame carpet, and I ended up eating it for a free combo. Other than that, chris has enough guns in his arsenal to stop any dorm no problems

My Team of Tasky Haggar Chris has issues dealing with Trish. Especially if Tasky gets taken out… I’d appreciate some pointers here

trish is an incredibly annoying fight. against an absolute runaway trish it can be very hard to for chris to land a hit on her even if she does have low health and can die from one combo. the good thing is a runaway trish doesn’t do any damage and most of her moves can be easily blocked or avoided.

if you have a good life lead i suggest you play very patiently and just block or dodge all her attacks and do nothing else for the rest of the round until she’s willing to get close and land land some damage. when she starts rushing you down that is your chance to go on the offensive. haggar’s lariat and landmines helps out tremendously against her dive kick and allow for damaging combos after connecting.

if she has the life lead and can run away until time expires then it becomes extremely difficult for chris to chase her. there is nothing you can do on the ground to damage her and anything you do on the ground will leave you open to damage so you’re gonna have to chase her into the air. try to get above her and shotgun her back to the ground to wither away some of her life or try to land an airthrow and combo afterwards.

the most important thing vs trish is do not give her a life lead! this is also one of the few matchups where i would use xfactor early for the kill if i don’t have the meters to finish her off.

maximize that one damage opportunity. yeah… this is one of those matches where I guess Lariat is better instead of pipe for Haggar’s assist

if you have chris first and the first opponent is a difficult matchup then i think it’s a good idea to hit confirm xfactor in a combo because even at level 1 because he can kill almost everyone without using any meter. from there he can kill anyone else with enough meter after the xfactor runs out.

i always use this strategy if the opponent has an anchor that’s easy to deal with even if they were to have level 3 xfactor.

I would blow x-factor to kill, Wesker, Dormammu, Taskmaster and Wolverine if I only have 1 meter

Can Trish block while flying? If not, then why not level three? It comes from the sky, and as it’s coming down. In the very least, she’ll fly cancel and block, but it’s still chip damage, and it gets her to stop flying, however…we all Chris’ recovery time isn’t that great at the end of level three.

Or if you’re lucky and you nail it, she’s pretty much dead lol

It’s funny how Chris can pull out all these guns and put them away, but it takes forever to put away the satellite laser lol

the startup and recovery time for satellite laser is so long that trish has more than enough time to react by unflying and blocking. unless she’s doing her super in the air your probably not gonna catch her with it and will just waste 3 meters and leave yourself open. the other problem you can have is building meter against a runaway trish because it’s so hard to land a hit. but if time is running out and you have the meters with no other option then go for it.

I just feel like the top tier rush is a little much for Chris… even with a solid cover assist. Wolverine, Wesker, Magneto, and Dante pretty much can come in whenever they want and have projectiles (well Wesker and Magneto) to outmatch him on the ground. I resort to Jumping Magnum if they are trying to zone and just expect them to come in and hopefully to land something lucky.

Dont get me wrong these matchups are winnable just very hard and frustrating. Luckily Chris as the health to get banged up a little before he is done.