CHICAGO 2016-2017 Thread: Welcome New Players, check out the Facebook Group page as its more active!

Wow I am really in shock right now, I am completely amazed how many of you guys were just lurking our forum. I am glad to bring this change that was much needed, toss the egos aside and lets embrace our common attribute which is enjoying games. Anyways Ill be at AreaXIII in a few, if you have any questions for me ill be playing SSF4 with Ibuki/Rufus mainly. To all you guys who really do want to get into fighters, by all means please come around, would be great to get to know everyone a little better. Keep them post coming guys, if you are new please come out and tell us a little about yourself. Chicago is so huge, there has to be even MORE of you that want to play but got deterred by our old thread.

Real Name. Matt but just call me BP
Location: Logan square but on weekdays i work out in elmhurst so i dont go to the city to events in the burbs on weekdays.
Games: SSF4 and MVC3. I also write erotic star trek fan fiction when im not playing games so that eats up a lot of my time too.
Mode of transport: Car
Events: Most tourneys and deads and gameworks about 2 or 3 times a month
Gamer tag: XBL: BP Amoco im on alot playing SSF4 and MVC3

Oscar started calling him Frank… and then we just rolled with it.

I also one day just wanted to start calling him Frank.

hehe

Car with breaks that need fixing and family concerns and 6am start time tomorrow?
Ugh…No Area XIII for me tonight.
Hope to see people on Thursday at GW.

seems like a lot of people dont show up to events because they’re is no easy way to get to them using public transportation.

Hey, Chicago dudes. I’m just a simple small-town Minnesotan (resisting the urge to slam the Bears :sweat:). I’m entering my senior year of college this fall (double major in Public Administration and Political Science). And I’d REALLY love to move to Chicago after I’m out of school. So I’m wondering…how much money would one need to save up to best make the transition to Chicago? Ideally, I’d want to be near public transit (removing cost of vehicle) in a 1-bedroom (or studio) apartment. Eventually, I’d want to get a cat, but that’s not quite relevant.

I guess right now I’m in the brainstorming parts of all of this. Things I’d like to know I’ve made up in a neat little list. I’ve looked up some of it myself, but I’d love to get input from actual Chicagoites…Chicagonians…Chicago residents on the matter.
-Ideal part of town to live in? I know those big cities are split into tons of neighborhoods and whatnot.
-How much would I ideally be looking for (per month) for an apartment/studio?
-How much would public transportation cost? I know Chicago has some good transit, but I’d be prepared for it to be pricey.
-Simply put: how expensive are things? That is: cost of living and whatnot? Specifically things like food and other things necessary to, you know, live.
-Entertainment in the area? That’s one of the big reasons why I want out of small town Minnesota. I love the feel of a small town, but there’s so little to do. I’m sure there’s a fighting game scene and all, and I know of sports (I would totally plan to go to a Sox game when the Twins come to town), but I’m sure there’s other good stuff in the area, right?

Chicago just seems like an ideal place for me. Its big, its busy, there’s transit, and I’ve been told that it still has some of that midwestern charm I’ve grown up with (whatever that quite means). I’ve got the entire school year to think about all this stuff, but I really want to get my degrees and hit the ground running. I don’t think I’d have a huge issue getting a job, since I’d be okay working a crap job for a time (Ideally, I’d want to work in the government, but I’d be patient for that), but that’s something I’ll need to worry about when the time comes.

Is there room at Area XIII for an absolute newb? I didn’t get to make it out tonight but I’d like to start going and learning MVC3 or MK9 or something but I don’t know if I would be imposing by showing up.

Rent for a 1 bedroom is anywhere from 600 to 900 i would say dependent on the area. It depends on what you are into the typical spots for out of towners to move to who are not looking to spend too much money would be logan square, wicker park or ukrainian village. Or you could go more preppy and go lake view/ wrigleyville. Tons of stuff to do in those hoods and lots of people from all over mostly transplants and students. Transits cheap compared to gas get a CTA card and the bus and train are 2.25 a ride. Its expensive but the jobs here tend to pay better than a small town. Check out craigs list and look at places. Look on yelp for stuff close to where you are looking to see if you would fit in there. Good luck.

There is more then enough room for anyone with any skill level at AreaXIII. People are willing to help you, all you gotta do is show up and get playing. Ask questions if you feel that you are missing something or ask what you are doing wrong. There are plenty of people here that have started from scratch and now are playing very decently and some are really good while still improving. Anyways hope that helps, nice to meet ya and take care.

I mostly lurk here, I don’t like getting caught up in forum politics. Been around forever…

Name: Pete
XBL: HAN
PSN: NEO-HAN
Games: Moslty MK9 now (ermac, csz, raiden), Tekken (Bob), into old stuff like ST and UMK3 as well. I’ve been out of SF4 for awhile, but I’m looking to get back into it when AE goes to console.

I currently hit up Galloping Ghost most saturday nights, the mk comp. is better than any of the other games, fyi.

Later,

Pete

God, I love the new alert system on this site. Thanks. Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. I’ve been keeping notes on this sort of stuff, since I know I’ll get to the point where I’m going to need them. The tricky part is finding out just how much money I’ll need to make that move, when the time comes (especially since I’ll have to start paying off student loans at that time). Bleh. I hate the future sometimes. :arazz:

Hey Pete, you are actually posting :). Has to be like your second post hahaha. How you been man? Come to my BBQ / Gathering Saturday if you are ever free. I was going to ask if you ever see Udey to have him contact me, would like to hang out with him and the Chi Brothers sometime for old times sake

Name: Mario Gomez

GGPO: MightyMar

I specialize in older games especially vampire savior. I’m also a very good coach with my partner in crime Heroic Legacy as we are both the fight scientist of the community solving in game problems all the time. Just tell me what you lose to (doesn’t matter what game it is) and we will make sure that it won’t happen ever again :wgrin:.

How is area XIII set up? Do people bring in consoles and their controllers, or are there acrcade boxes? Never been there and hoping to make it out in a a few weeks when i got money for gas, and hopefully more after the summer as my school is closer to addison then my house. Well mile ways its about 10 closer :frowning: but hey still closer and late class on wednesday, so things looking up :slight_smile:

who is hype for chicago heart 3???

Oh damn, they finally got it? I must have been checking daily for a couple of months and just gave up. Even though AE is right around the corner I still sort of want to go by this week to take a peek at my delicious Adon buffs

Also, does anyone play Vampire Savior? I’m not sure if it’s even feasible without PC emulation but I’ve an interest in the game for a long time and no way to really get into it. Really wanted to sit down at the cabs at UFGT but they were usually being played, I didn’t want to take time away from people who actually knew how to play.

Area XIII has around a dozen CRT monitors set up around the room. People are encouraged to bring their consoles, games, and sticks (or controllers).

ggpo.net