Changes for Morrigan in UMvC3

I’d like to gather all of the relevant information for UMvC3 in a thread of its own for easy reference. Please add any new information you find as it comes or ideas you’d like someone to check and I’ll keep this post updated.

Observed so far:

• She has a new version of Soul Fist, which steals roughly 1/3 of the opponent’s hyper meter upon contact and has a pink glow effect similar to Dark Harmonizer. Performed with QCF+S. Effects also apply during Astral Vision; can be flight canceled like other versions. Very slow start-up and slow traveling speed, probably impossible to combo into without assists. Seems more like something you’d throw out and then dash in front of in the hopes of getting it to connect mid-combo, or strictly as a zoning tool. Could possibly reap good rewards if the opponent’s assist is called during Astral Vision ping-pong.

• Finishing Shower is buffed. Karst: “Another note about Finishing Shower, the missiles also seem to travel faster, and you have a LOT more control over them. In MvC3, if you hold up they just kind of ‘lean’ in that direction. On the UMvC3 stream, a player was able to shift the entire missile volley to the upper half of the screen, and then back to the bottom portion of the screen, before they reached the opponent. No one tried it, but this could potentially reach superjump heights at full screen, and at the very least will make for better DHCs.” Nooneyouknow: “Finishing Shower is insanely faster. I got 34 hits with it raw as an AA several times, which makes me wonder if it’s also 40 hits now.”

• Damage buff? Hard to tell and if so to what degree because a lot of stamina values may have changed as well. Nooneyouknow: “I think they increased her base damage values, and not minimum scaling, because it felt like she poked for Wesker damage. That said, it could just be all the health nerfs in that build. Anyway, simple LMHS MMH xx Shadow Blade xx Finishing Shower looked to be doing around 550k… Easy, next to impossible to drop combos would break 600k, and she killed with a sneeze in XF2/3.”

• Stamina buff? Basically the same thing, but in reverse. I’ve heard that she survived Hyper Sentinel Force -> Hail Storm -> XFC(1) -> Hail Storm -> Hyper Sentinel Force, but that may be due to an XF nerf or changes to those specific moves. If XF1 no longer gives a damage boost or a reduction in damage scaling, then she should be able to survive that with her existing 950K if I did my math right.

• Astral Vision. Nooneyouknow: “Astral Vision seemed slightly faster on start up recovery, enough to be noticeably, but not enough to change anything.”

• Shell Kick. Nooneyouknow: “I dropped jS to L like 20 times. I did not hit the link once outside of x-factor. I’ve never actually missed that link before this weekend, so I’m not sure if I just sucked it up, or something changed there. Sent c.M just plain stuffs jS now. I think they made the hitbox on the damn thing bigger.” On that last note, I’ve heard some people suspect that Sentinel c.M has more armor now, like Hulk s.H.

• Ground dash can be canceled earlier.

• Air dash height restriction has been reduced. Someone check if she can air dash immediately after a grounded flight cancel.

Things to check:

• Have her throws improved at all? Can she reliably combo into Shadow Servant off of anything other than her back throw?

• Any other new moves? Check all typical commands (QCF, QCB, HCF, HCB, DP, RDP, down down, charge motions) with normal attack buttons and S, on ground and in air.

Another note about Finishing Shower, the missiles also seem to travel faster, and you have a LOT more control over them. In MvC3, if you hold up they just kind of “lean” in that direction. On the UMvC3 stream, a player was able to shift the entire missile volley to the upper half of the screen, and then back to the bottom portion of the screen, before they reached the opponent. No one tried it, but this could potentially reach superjump heights at full screen, and at the very least will make for better DHCs.

Wouldn’t it be nice too if the missiles OTG’d? :smiley:

It’s great to hear that missiles have been improved. As lacking as her overall damage is, bad DHC options was actually hurting Morrigan more than anything, I was hoping they’d give her a new super (Soul Eraser ftw) just so she has a good DHC option which other zoners have. But faster and improved Finishing Shower might just be good enough!

Is there any footage of the new soul fist? I watched the tourney stream (team Darkstalkers took 2nd) but I didn’t see the new fireball move… too bad…

Let’s be honest, Finishing Shower being ass is the single largest problem she has with hitting “average” damage in the first place. The missiles spread out far, far too much, to the point you’re lucky if an air Finishing Shower lands 20 of the 35 hits. The damn ting needs faster start up, better control, and a tighter spread.

Shadow Servant doesn’t do great damage either. For a character whose damage scaling minimums are so skewed towards hyper combos, you would think they would be more damaging.

I wonder if improved finishing shower could lead to more uses for it; maybe if it’s fast enough it could even assist punish? Looking forward to using it as a zoning option, though, especially since meter stealing soul fist will mean more meter to burn :slight_smile:

Worse comes to worse, even if Finishing Shower still sucks, she could probably use Darkness Illusion in her BnBs instead now thanks to the meter-sucking soul fists. It all depends though if she can actually pull enough of them off in her combos, if she can do say about 3 per combo, then that’s a whole meter right there that you’ve sucked from the opponent, and you could pull of a level 3 reliably in almost every combo.

i dunno
if she can still build meter during astral, she becomes just this awesome battery imo

personally i’d gladly take a more reliable cross up than more damage output

Honestly, more than anything, the issue with Shadow Servant is that she doesn’t have a normal ground dash, so you will never get all of the hits after an air combo. Either corner fucks you, or distance does. And then we have Astral Vision, which can’t be used mid combo at all. If we were to have any kind of a hot fix before UMvC3, I’d like it to be making Darkness Illusion a level 1. Even subject to damage scaling, it would out damage any other hyper option she has for combos.

IMO Morrigan doesn’t need a ground dash, Shadow Servant is better for punishing than ending combos. Finishing shower is probably her best combo ender (hopefully it’ll be even better in UMVC3). The only problem is dhc’ing out of it at super jump height is very difficult.

I’ve seen a stream archive of it, but I don’t have the link at the moment, sorry. I actually would like to have video links for each item in the OP before marking them “confirmed” though, now that you’ve brought it up.

That’s what I like the most about the Soul Fist change: it addresses a core character design issue. Right now she absolutely needs meter or XF2/XF3 to be effective, and this addition potentially shifts her more towards meter-builder than meter-sucker for her team.

As far as her ground-to-air dash is concerned, I’d simply like to see it made faster or to allow auto-correct normals out of the dash ala CvS2 for faster mix-ups.

Ok, back from Evo, spent a good deal of time with Morrigan on the SDCC UMvC3 build they had there. MIssed the panel though, so if anything was mentioned, I didn’t get to hear it.

Morrigan deals more damage. I think they increased her base damage values, and not minimum scaling, because it felt like she poked for Wesker damage. That said, it could just be all the health nerfs in that build. Anyway, simple LMHS MMH xx Shadow Blade xx Finishing Shower looked to be doing around 550k.

I dropped jS to L like 20 times. I did not hit the link once outside of x-factor. I’ve never actually missed that link before this weekend, so I’m not sure if I just sucked it up, or something changed there. Sent c.M just plain stuffs jS now. I think they made the hitbox on the damn thing bigger.

“Meter” fist is absolutely meh. Yes, it drains 30% and gives it to you. Yes, both meter fists do this during Astral Vision. That said, it’s somewhere between 45-60 frames of start up, and travels half the speed of a L Soul Fist. I never once hit a point character who didn’t stand there for testing. Popped assist with it a few times, which is why I’m not writing it off entirely as garbage. To slow to combo into.

Finishing Shower is insanely faster. I got 34 hits with it raw as an AA several times, which makes me wonder if it’s also 40 hits now.

Astral Vision seemed slightly faster on start up recovery, enough to be noticeably, but not enough to change anything.

Overall, she felt considerably scarier in this build. Easy, next to impossible to drop combos would break 600k, and she killed with a sneeze in XF2/3.

Did not get a chance to test for better Vector Drain/Air Throw or Forward throw follow ups though.

I love slow fireballs. It’s like being able to make your own assist.

I really hope they gave her better knockdowns from throws. I feel so restricted with the way they are now. (Luckily, I actually like playing the characters that can help get follow-ups, though.)

Nah, the speed you’re thinking of as slow would be lightning fast compared to this one. This is the “take two steps forward and laugh” speed of fireball. I think the only time you’ll ever hit a point is putting one out, and dashing ahead of it, so it hits mid combo. Which might open up some interesting stuff later.

hmmmm… I was really excited hearing about the meter-fist but after your description I am feeling pretty down.

Thanks for testing. Can she use the meter-fist in the air as well?

Many thanks for the report on UMVC3 Morrigan. Sounds good for the most part. The meter soul fist being as slow as you described is somewhat concerning. Can she flight cancel it and is it spammable, lol? If it stays on the screen for an excruciatingly long time, it may be beneficial. Happy about finishing shower and as long as they do not nerf her. Notice any nerfs for her? Sorry for the 101 questions.

The meter fist was a dumb idea anyway, it would be absurd for a fire ball to steal 30% of your opponent’s meter without some kind of great cost. They should have given her a meter steal command throw, that would have been easier to balance and would be a viable way to make her interesting.