Castlevania: Lords of Shadow thread

Dying A LOT. Really cool so far though-- you can turn damage numbers and exp numbers on in the menu screen, as well as enemy life bars.

Super glad that they made the startup on blocking much faster than the demo.

My kingdom for a “banging head against wall” smiley.

You don’t know what logic is. Seriously, you’re the last person on Earth who should be pointing out holes in logic, especially when you follow that up with unsubstantiated claims about credentials or lack thereof, and about reviewing of all things.

I’m taking AlphaDragoon’s policy on you and putting you on Ignore. Yeah, that guy tends to buy into the “my opinion can’t be wrong but your opinion can” philosophy a little too often and I can see how he rubbed you the wrong way, but fuck, your version of “reason” is: make claim, use logical fallacies to support said claim, call out the logical fallacies (real or imagined) made by others, then go right back to arguing bullshit. It’s irritating, and I’m done with it in this thread. I’m sorry I even responded to your review nonsense in the first place, and apologize to everyone else for the derailment.

Cool, on all counts. I really like to know how close enemies are to dying.

Must leave thread until next week, when I’m back in town and able to play.

I hear Dr. B’s Combat Cross lets him grapple Pluto.

Fair enough. I admit I’m not very far into the game. I wasn’t trying to insult the game’s combat engine or anything.

I have not tried that attack yet.

Ugh that’s one of my big gripes with the game; the Block AND Dodge are assigned to the same button =_= Are you playing on Hard mode as well BTW?

Just beat Chapter 2, gonna beat Chapter 3 tomorrow. Boss fights are quite easy once you figure out a set pattern to get through them.

Yeah, I’m playing on hard.

Block/Dodge being on the same button isn’t bad. I figured out what I was doing wrong, though–

Block >>>>> Dodge

The parry window in this game is HUGE, and it gains you a fuckload of magic drops. The downside is that enemies don’t telegraph their attacks as much as they do in, say, Bayonetta.

The thing that was fucking me up was that enemies have an unblockable counter move that they do if you hit them while they are guarding. Since you dodge by hitting a direction while blocking, I’ve been blocking mostly to bait a parry then rolling out of the way if I wind up waiting too long.

And the replayability on the game seems cool too, since the bonus missions seem creative so far and that they stages have a bunch of paths.

OH, and the art direction (if not the graphics themselves) is siiiiiiick.

^Yeah the trials do add to replayability. Some are easy, while other seem kind of annoying (like killing 10 enemies while being poisoned @_@ )

So do gamers. Welcome to SRK.

Way to step up to the plate, champ. You don’t know what logic is. I’m glad to know that for people to be professionals in their said field, they have to have qualifications that you think make them relevant.

Stop posting in this thread.

All it takes for someone to be considered a pro at something is to be paid for it FYI.

I bought LoS today. I like the combat system(haven’t unlocked magic yet). I pretty much string together whatever I want. I like the grab based abilities the most so far. I’m an asshole to these enemies. I just simply cannot resort to mashing the basic combo at all. Grabs combos are too fun to deny.

Oh I was hopingm there would be grab combos with the whip. I get more hyped for this game with each new thing I read about it. Combat sounds so well done.

It’s pretty much an air grab like Nero’s DB air grab. Catch is it only works on smaller enemies. Larger enemies result in a flying kick. Ground grabs are just a hold with a QTE timer to it.

Something that had me wondering, and I’ve thought about this with a few games, is how difficult it must be to come up with a new 3d combat system. The reviews for most 3d action games always have a comparison to god of war. Always. I feel bad for some of these developers because no matter how much they try to differentiate, it always comes back to that comparison. That shit has to be frustrating.

I think its funny everyone is comparing it to GoW, and GoW wasnt even the 1st game like its kind, there were countless other games before, legacy of kain soul reaver, Rygar, Beyond Good and Evil, Kingdom hearts, shinobi, ninja gaiden, Onimusha warlords, Devil may cry, etc etc.

That’s really not accurate, in the slightest. Games like Onimusha, Rygar, Soul Reaver, Kingdom Hearts and Beyond Good and Evil play nothing like GoW. None of them have any real depth or options in combat either. Especially Kingdom Hearts.

thing is though that GoW has a certain weight and way the character moves even if it took influences from DMC. Say for instance anyone who looks at Bayonetta footage would say it’s very much like DMC where as someone were to look at footage from Castlevania expecially in terms of fighting, they’d immediately get the GoW vibe.

I obviously need to learn to listen. I’ll be getting an infraction for trolling and no more of my posts will be seen in this thread since I’ve contributed nothing.

Yes.

Thanks for the response, but I forgot to clarify. Is Shadow and Light the only type of spells? or do they have the old school spells like: Ice, Fire, Bolt, and Wind. like the some older Castlevania’s?

Started playing today, got to the “Ice Boss” and then stopped, game looks real nice, the camera at times is bad, but nothing that ruins it yet for me, I like being able to toggle on the enemies life bar, that is a nice addition. I can see why people are comparing it to GoW, basically the same combat system and look of the attacks, but thats not a big issue for me.

:rock: on Castlevania