Capcom's Campaign for Casuals: Can SFV win back the mainstream?

Oooh, shots fired. Wicked insinuations from people with sexualized children avatars and admits to being a perv in their screen name wounds me truly. The fact you are making it a issue about sexuality as opposed to combat is precisely what I dislike about the aesthetic and roster choices.

A winning record versus a losing record is a huge gap when it comes to fun and progression.

KOF launched with 50ish characters? Not having a selection problem there or in MKXL.

You’re the one who made it a issue about sexuality to begin with. KOF is a team based fighter, MKXL is the same story as USFIV. The Vanilla version had a smaller roster.

No ono did when he decided to make it a showcase of upskirting.

There’s like 2 characters in any relevant SF game with skirts as their default wear.

Not even firing shots. Just a statement. Don’t care for any personal issue.

I’m a total jobber in Guilty Gear and that doesn’t stop me from enjoying the game. If your playing the game on a causal level a win record shouldn’t matter.

Boy, that’s really unchristian of you to say that about @“DevilJin 01”. Shame on you.

I hope so since I’m not a Christian, I am a Dudeist and I don’t like pervy shit in my violence.

Street Fighter to me started off as an homage to Enter the Dragon, bloodsport, Kickboxer, 80’s martial arts films, every iteration since II keeps moving towards Japanese sexual repression culture, DOA and waifu fetish. Excessive camel-toe ruins it when you’re trying to have a combat experience.

Like I said before, pantie shots of English school girls has nothing to do with Street or Fighting and it’s ruining the aesthetic.

Not wanting every activity hypersexualized does not make me religious or a prude, I engage in plenty of activities that have nothing to do with my penis.

What does any of this bullshit has to do with the topic?

Chun Li has been giving panty shots everytime she jumps or does a sweep since SF2.

Well you guys have fun talking to Jimbo. My last statement on it is there’s still potential to bring some casuals in. Not a huge influx, but it can go up with the right things happening.

Aside from maybe Laura’s bonita outfit, there’s nothing distasteful in the game. The bikini costumes are a bit unnecessary but this game isn’t close to DOA in terms of sexualization of the female cast.

The simple opinion I stated that the roster turning in to an upskirt fetish-fest lacks the familiarity of characters casuals know and like, which in turn triggered those who can’t even upload an AV that doesn’t announce what their in to.

Anywho back to the topic a hand. How was it that MKX was able to bounce back and get PC players back on board? Capcom could definitely leaern and take notes from Neatherealms in that regard. Because they pulled off the impossible with that feat.

The bikini costumes are for the Kanzuki beach house party that Karin is throwing. What do you want them to wear?

SFV has a mode where you can ship Karin and Sakura? Cool beans.

MKXL on PC is a new port. It brought the Kombat Pack 2 and the new net code with it. It helped that they also had a free open beta with all the characters playable.

Past mistakes don’t really matter if you address them and your game is a good product to begin with. I’m pretty sure SFV has hit it’s low point on the PC platform ( the root kit fiasco) and it will only go up from here. If Capcom does their job, they’ll have all the common complaints you see on Steam addressed by February 2017.

D-Input
8F of lag (but really 7F)
matchmaking speed and region filter
Arcade mode
Sagat

It’s going to come to a point where there is basically nothing reasonable left to complain about. Reviews will get more and more positive.

Long term they’ve got the flexibility of Steam sale pricing to boost numbers, they’ve got character releases to put the spotlight on the game every 5-6 weeks, and in 2018 they’ll be able to go F2P or release a $15 version of the game.

Come February, they need to soft re-launch the game with a SFV: Round 2 with these key points in their marketing

• FREE upgrade for existing owners!
  • FREE loyalty costumes for existing owners!
  • All season 1 characters and costumes included FREE for new purchasers!
  • Arcade Mode!
  • Free Sagat! (if they’ve got balls and are willing to sacrificing good short term money for some much needed goodwill)

I think people need to differentiate between 2 things.

1- Are we talking about a resurgence and the game selling another couple of millions and get mainstream ?

2- Are we talking about the game having long legs and steadily getting sales over time and eventually reaching a good sales milestone AKA, UMVC3 ?

I think SF5 will achieve the 2nd point for sure. The series have long legs and with continued support which brings constant news about the game it will keep hanging around.

I think ultimately we are talking about SF5 being profitable enough to:

1- Save the franchise/Capcom from oblivion (SF6).
2- Warrant financial investment in updating (READ: NOT RECYCLING) the game for many years to come.
3- Continue to grow the FGC.

It really comes down to the longterm money and the reputation of the series.

@Daemos I do believe that there are ways to

I like how you think. SFV is a really good “fighting game” (or rather, it served it cause in being a decent fighting game, as far as the game mechanics and, to a partial extent, the presentation goes), but it was still missing a lot of important elements. An approach Capcom could have took (or are probably considering as of now) is an arcade mode with a high-functional boss character, complete with designated sub-boss matches and possibly some trials/bonus rounds. Most other fighting games end up having features like this. After putting these elements into the game, Capcom staff can allow players to accept ranked or casual matches from other players to increase the fun factor and intrinsic value of playing the game. Through this process, the player can just mess around and gain some extra Fight Money while simply playing through the arcade mode with the option to face other players online and/or locally. There might even be objectives DURING the said arcade mode that will allow you to unlock some new features… costumes… colors… or fight a particular boss character… something to keep the player “interested” or “curious” at the very least (even if they are not necessarily keen on playing these mode). If a player should accept a ranked match or the like, it might be optional to wager fight money as well in order to provide some other incentives for playing SFV on the level that they do. It may also encourage players to gradually get better at the game overtime, even if it just little by little. But, these are just (albeit somewhat silly) ideas and opinions I had in mind. From the perspective of a game designer, a competitive fighting game player, and a casual gamer, I want to think that those elements would be relatively cool to have.